COCO DTW Multi-Feed White Widow GH Maxi CFL

Water curing sample...

After every 12 hours, water goes from 0 to ~45 ppms.

This morning, as an experiment, I heated the water (10 sec) in the microwave.
Makes it just warmer then ambient temp.

I also added a small quantity of 94% alcohol.
I had used alcohol sprayed over buds after décarboxylating for making cannabutter.
It helps in breaking down organic matter. Worked fine.

I'll check at the end of the day if this speeds things up (ppms will tell).

BP

Perched Water Table (PWT)

Today, I had not much to do, and decided to do a little reading about putting anything (for drainage) on the bottom of pots.

There are many articles saying that the benefits of using gravel, perlite, clay pellets... are a myth.

In a word... putting stuff at the bottom only raises the "perched water table".

Long exp:

... once the consistency or characteristics of the soil suddenly changes (for example from potting mix to expanded clay) it results in a circumstance referred to as a perched water table. This typically takes place in the bottom of your container or pot, however, if there's clay there you'll be essentially setting up an artificial bottom level. Typically the soil which sits on the top of the clay pebbles will stay soaked to a certain level on top of the layer of clay pebbles following watering in the same manner as it might if it had been the base of the pot.

So, you end up with an unhappy, crowded plant sitting in too wet soil, and you’ve wasted valuable pot space with gravel/pebbles/perlite that’s doing no good.

Plants will be happier if you uniformly increase the drainage of the soil itself.

For those, like me, who prefer to make up their mind after documenting themselves as much as possible... google "perlite raising perched water table" or "pellets water table", or any variant, you are sure to find expert info.

BP

Day 97... 62 days after flip.

Some dripping wet bud, after ~ 3 days water-curing.
Changing water every 12 hours, ppm count started at 45+ on the first days, progressively lowering to 25, 10, then 5 ppms when I decided : enough, lets dry and smoke this thing !

WW_Day_97f.JPG

This needs to dry fast; I'm planning on vape-testing this on Thursday.

I got my MH bulb and decided to install it and take a few photos.
(I think I'll leave the MH in place for the remainder of the grow. Wont change anything for the Widow imo.)

WW_Day_97a.JPG
WW_Day_97b.JPG
WW_Day_97c.JPG
WW_Day_97d.JPG
WW_Day_97e.JPG

BP

Yep... I was about to prepare a new rez with my current (minimal) dose of nutes, but I think I'll be flushing.

I've been reducing butes for several weeks. Now down to 380ppms (includes tap water @ 160ppm / Calmag ~40ppm / nutes ~ 180 ppm), Middle/top leaves are yellowing fast and show intervenal clorosis. Not much big leaves from the bottom yellowing, so no Nitrogen def. Mostly PK def from nutes deprivation I guess.

I just need to read a bit more on the procedure... from now to harvest.

Maybe just PH'd tap water @ 160ppms... Widow is gonna have a hard time ;-)

BP

Perched Water Table (PWT)

Today, I had not much to do, and decided to do a little reading about putting anything (for drainage) on the bottom of pots.

There are many articles saying that the benefits of using gravel, perlite, clay pellets... are a myth.

In a word... putting stuff at the bottom only raises the "perched water table".

Long exp:

... once the consistency or characteristics of the soil suddenly changes (for example from potting mix to expanded clay) it results in a circumstance referred to as a perched water table. This typically takes place in the bottom of your container or pot, however, if there's clay there you'll be essentially setting up an artificial bottom level. Typically the soil which sits on the top of the clay pebbles will stay soaked to a certain level on top of the layer of clay pebbles following watering in the same manner as it might if it had been the base of the pot.

So, you end up with an unhappy, crowded plant sitting in too wet soil, and you’ve wasted valuable pot space with gravel/pebbles/perlite that’s doing no good.

Plants will be happier if you uniformly increase the drainage of the soil itself.

For those, like me, who prefer to make up their mind after documenting themselves as much as possible... google "perlite raising perched water table" or "pellets water table", or any variant, you are sure to find expert info.

BP
Great write up and info Blue! Well done!

Day 97... 62 days after flip.

Some dripping wet bud, after ~ 3 days water-curing.
Changing water every 12 hours, ppm count started at 45+ on the first days, progressively lowering to 25, 10, then 5 ppms when I decided : enough, lets dry and smoke this thing !

WW_Day_97f.JPG

This needs to dry fast; I'm planning on vape-testing this on Thursday.

I got my MH bulb and decided to install it and take a few photos.
(I think I'll leave the MH in place for the remainder of the grow. Wont change anything for the Widow imo.)

WW_Day_97a.JPG
WW_Day_97b.JPG
WW_Day_97c.JPG
WW_Day_97d.JPG
WW_Day_97e.JPG

BP

What are the reasons to water cure?? Never heard of this!!

Day 98...

Tempted to pull the trigger on Friday. Either that or the next Friday.

Trichs are part clear part milky with very few amber.

WW_Day_98e.JPG
WW_Day_98d.JPG
WW_Day_98c.JPG
WW_Day_98b.JPG
WW_Day_98a.JPG
If it were me I would let them go till next Friday. There’s lots of clears still with a few milky and no amber at all! Next Friday would be better than this upcoming one

IMO

Great write up and info Blue! Well done!

What are the reasons to water cure?? Never heard of this!!

If it were me I would let them go till next Friday. There’s lots of clears still with a few milky and no amber at all! Next Friday would be better than this upcoming one

IMO

If you look closely you'll find some ambre. Of course those get all shrunk up and are less visible. Also, I have the hi-res photos, I see better.

I think when there is clear/opaque and few amber is the moment at witch the THC is the most potent. Giving her more time may make her less "racy" and more "couch lock"... I dont know that strain yet, so I dont know if she's too much "heady" and if I should let her ripen more. But I know I dont like the indica/sleepy feeling that much.

Water cure : Obtain a cured but in 4-7 days instead of the whole-darn-long-and-tedious traditional curing. Smooth-smooth smoke apparently, more so than trad curing. It remains to be tested !!! Thursday !

The main benefit, for me, is I can water-cure part of the harvest and have that quantity available to vape immediately, instead of waiting weeks/months. The most part of the harvest I'll cure the traditional way.

I'd add that if someone is a big big smoker, and does not like vaping... having a very smooth smoke may be very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom