Sprouts

WP_20150301_006.jpg

sprouts in processor

WP_20150301_007.jpg

ran the processor about 20 seconds with a few 10 second blasts

WP_20150301_008.jpg

Mash after the processor in the screen poured into the water

WP_20150301_009.jpg

the white liquid is what I want to see there dripping off the screen then dip the screen in some water to get some more or we can pour some water over the mash to get all the goodness

WP_20150301_011.jpg

WP_20150301_012.jpg

re: Cottage 420's 2015 Organic Grow With LOS & Kristalica - Sleestack x Skunk1

I know many people use the sprouting water afterwards, but the water will contain alot of enzyme growth inhibitors which are designed to leach out of the seed in the presence of enough water. The surface of a seed, and even the endosperm is chalk full of them. They are what cause the seed to remain dormant. You want to remove as much water has possible from the sprouts and discard it. Pouring a high concentration of growth inhibitors on young plants or really any plant could have a negative effect.

edit: This is even recommended in seed and nut consumption

This one is tossed around by Clackomas CootsMicrobes in the Tailoring of Barley Malt

I know what I need...its just hard making a choice based on budget. But I have to take it in stride :)

Because the list never stops CC.:laughtwo::green_heart:

I hope I have a decent harvest. I feel I got lucky last run... Oh and did I say I hate fungus gnats. They are in my compost from outside.... I've got them under control but not gone yet.

CO and I were discussing a couple months ago that the gnats are probably an important contribution to the composting process and we both decided that they didn't appear to be harming our plants at all, but feasting on the abundance of organic matter available in our soil mix.

That said, I still would rather not have them. Doc Bud's been counseling us in getting more mineralization into our soil mix to eliminate the gnats from our grows. I think he's on to something. I know I'm going to try it and see. Your soil had additional top dressing of rock dust. Did you notice any difference in gnat populations following that?

Because the list never stops CC.:laughtwo::green_heart:

Exactly! But we need to remember this is supposed to be simple. No need to make it more complicated than need be with buying every amendment out there.

I started out believing that you could run an organic grow using a good soil base and keep it going in top form using nothing more than a series of ACTs using various plant combinations. I even have a plan for such for an Auto grow of 10 weeks or more with the various teas chosen to compliment the different stages of growth. On some level I still believe it. I've read comments by more than one grower of having tremendous success, year after year, using only Aerated Compost Teas with comfrey. The elemental power of bio accumulators like comfrey, yarrow, equisetum, kelp, dandelion - the list goes on and on - is highly under appreciated, IMO. Everything your garden needs, with small exception, can be supplied through plant material or directed vermicompost (you determine the inputs dependent on your garden's needs).

The more I study this the more excited I get about the potential for future grows. When I started journaling here I had no inkling of the potential of so many creative growers joyfully and intently brainstorming over how to improve their craft. Amazing!

CO and I were discussing a couple months ago that the gnats are probably an important contribution to the composting process and we both decided that they didn't appear to be harming our plants at all, but feasting on the abundance of organic matter available in our soil mix.

That said, I still would rather not have them. Doc Bud's been counseling us in getting more mineralization into our soil mix to eliminate the gnats from our grows. I think he's on to something. I know I'm going to try it and see. Your soil had additional top dressing of rock dust. Did you notice any difference in gnat populations following that?

RE: rock dust, yes after I did a top dress the herd of gnats was diminished but as soon as I do another compost tea from the outdoor compost of which I have a big pile, they come back. They are in the pile in the summer time as my one compost bin is right outside my kitchen window and the gnats sometimes make their way indoors If I leave my window screen open which I usually do. I agree with them probably being beneficial to the composting process as they are always present but do not harm the plants. I worry more about the larvae but they are so small very difficult to see. I think as long as Im using compost tea I will have them. The population seems to diminish too if I let the soil dry more or top dress with Kashi/rock dust and/or spray with H202/RO water mixture that seems to kill all adults on contact. I also have fans and a large surface area water pan setting on the floor 24" wide top with water in it - traps those little buggers permanent like.

Slight update - my little ladies 9hopefully) have reached the 7th node and are starting to show sex. I'm a little rusty on which is which male or female and these plants are not making it easy for me to tell even with a loop still hard to see. Later today (snow emergency we are off work woohoo) I will get out my microscope and see if I cant take some pics and either cull or move plants to the flower room.

We will be cross country skiing here after breakfast, most likely the last time for the season... snow is wet and heavy we will get a good workout today. Its all good, just another sign spring is right around the corner, my dog already shed and now growing his winter coat back ...

I know many people use the sprouting water afterwards, but the water will contain alot of enzyme growth inhibitors which are designed to leach out of the seed in the presence of enough water. The surface of a seed, and even the endosperm is chalk full of them. They are what cause the seed to remain dormant. You want to remove as much water has possible from the sprouts and discard it. Pouring a high concentration of growth inhibitors on young plants or really any plant could have a negative effect.

edit: This is even recommended in seed and nut consumption

This one is tossed around by Clackomas CootsMicrobes in the Tailoring of Barley Malt

Hey there CC - thanks for the link there very informative. I'm familiar with the growth inhibitors in seedlings. They help the new seedling with competition when they are getting ready to sprout - making room for the new life. When I do sprouts I am continuously changing water in the sprouting container every 8 hrs until the sprouts are ready with a shoot about as large as the seed, the seedling/sprout at this point is now creating enzymes and carbs good for growth, then I chop the little seedling tail off and grind up and dilute with water and vola, my girls start rocking in their pots every time I come into the grow room. The sprouted seed tea really makes the plants happy and healthy. It's amazing....

update with pics

Here's my better half yesterday - fresh 12" of the goodness.

WP_20150306_009.jpg

Group shot - both Krystalica and the slee-skunk
WP_20150307_001_1_.jpg
WP_20150307_003.jpg

another group shot this is 7 weeks of veg and 6 weeks of veg on the Slee-skunk

WP_20150307_0041.jpg

Slee-skunk (2) are in the large orange containers beside each other

WP_20150307_0072.jpg

Krystalica

WP_20150307_0051.jpg
WP_20150307_008.jpg

Soil is still going .... Kashi on top getting ready to transplant into larger containers for the flowering period
WP_20150307_0131.jpg

Decided to go to a lager flower tent this one besides being upside down (damnit) is 4' x 8' with some new grow lights too! I'll show the new lights in my next post.....

WP_20150307_0091.jpg

Love that Kashi Gro. Wow! So dynamic. Next month, for sure. That picture of Krystalica is ethereal Bobrown. Nice shot.

looking very nice , love organic growing , much more fun :)

Yes it is paddy. We'll lead by example and let everyone else get excited by our results. So much fun. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Hey there CC - good on ya mate for you harvest, may you have many many more in the near future.

On the soil, no worms that I know of yet. My compost bin from last summer was finished (full) last fall and we started a new bin so by the time we started digging out compost to use for growing the worms were finished and moved on to greener pastures! Last summer there were sooo many worms in the bin I thought thats all we had in there was a container the size of a 50gal trash can full of red wigglers. It takes a lot of material to keep them going like that so the population ebbs and flows with the amount of material/food supplied. They will somehow find the new compost bin trust me on that. I suppose we could dig some out of the flower beds and drop them in the new bin but that wont happen until we get some thawing here - everything is frozen and will be probably for another month or so but yeah I will add in a few worms, they will reproduce so it may turn into a large worm bin but thats fine. If that happens I'll dump that into my new compost bin outside.

Now I've been growing with the moon cycles. Meaning I plant seedlings, transplant, change from veg to flower on full moon cycles. Today is the last day of the full moon for March - and btw march full moon is the "WORM Moon" (names are from Native Americans living right here where we are). The Worm Moon is named for the March full moon because in March as the ground thaws worm castings re-apear and the birds come back and have a good source of food to get the new season going in full swing. Further north they call this moon the Crow Moon meaning the crows are back signalling the end of winter. Anyway I will be taking the girls into the flowering tent and flipping the light from 24/0 to probably 15/8 for a few days then 12/12 and start watching for males. The Krystalica strain I planted were "regular" beans so there are a few males, I think I can tell them already since they do not have any signs of sex yet but the girls definitely are showing pre-flowers and the general shape of the plants are very different. I will take a few pics so we can see the different shapes (and sizes) of the males beside the girls when I move them to the new flowering tent. I've got a new set of seedlings going now for the next run, so I don't have to wait 4 months between grows and possibly run out of meds. I will be back later today with pics of the plants in the new flower tent and new lights there too!

Hi Bo,

Just read through your new journal. Lot's of great information there. Great grow so far bud. I'm looking forward to watching it play out. That AACT tea with all the ingredients is something else. I only ever use BSM and EWC. A little fish emulsion and water soluble kelp. Then I top dress with bird poop at weeks 3, 5 (short flowering) and 7 (long flowering) lol. My schedule looks like this.

1st watering = EWC + BSM
2nd watering = GEM liquid fish
3rd watering = EWC + BSM
4th watering = Water soluble kelp
5th watering = Straight H2O
repeat until harvest.

Just thought I'd share my schedule as there are many ways to skin a cat lol! I really am impressed with your dedication to OLS/LOS and your earth-friendly growing methods. My chemical shelf was at least 3 times more populated than yours lol. I haven't used any of that crap since going OLS :):):).

Great grow my friend!

Right on Doc - thanks for your feeding schedule. I kinda wing it mostly. I'm right at the time to transplant into larger containers that will be my no-tilll containers moving forward. I didn't have enough soil cooked up to do that from the start. Next time I will - less work no-till and LOS just plant water and brew teas and grow sprouts for SST. This week was SST with Wheat grass, I decided to give 1/2 to the girls and save and grow the wheat grass for us. VERY easy .. just let the sprouts get green then snip with trimmers and you have wheat grass. We were adding it to our salads putting it in our tea we drink ... on my breakfast, everything. Man that stuff is the goodness. I've got a ACT going now and spring temps outside I'm about to start up my turbo ACT maker!!

I've got an issue I need help with. My Kristalica seeds were regular and I've not had to check for sex in quite a while since I was growing from clones. So I'm a little rusty with the pre-flower thing. Can anyone help me out?

Here's what I've got that I'm not sure about - are they males or females... 5 days into 12/12 lighting, 7th nodes have pre-flowers on all the plants. BTW these plants put on 4-5 inches already in 5 days of flowering cycle.

This one I "thought" was a male but close up not sure .. maybe need more time? This plant is tall and lanky not bushy like the rest.

Krystalica_tall_lanky1_pic2_03_13_15.jpg
Krystalica_tall_lanky1_03_13_15.jpg

this one "looks" female but a close up of the pre-flower looks like a ball sack to me!!?? Any help much appreciated!

Krystalica2_bushy_03_13_15.jpg

Love that Kashi Gro. Wow! So dynamic. Next month, for sure. That picture of Krystalica is ethereal Bobrown. Nice shot.

Hey thanks SS - I was reading your journal and catching up... WOAH there girl you have some mighty fine looking women there and some of the largest whitest nugz I've ever seen. :thumb: No kidding... You my friend have a green thumb or 2. That's CRAZY no kidding, reps to you!!

Cheers, keep it green!

BB

Ok so it's been a little while since I put some pics up of the girls now turning into ladies. Its still a little early for positive sexing ID so I had time to transplant this yesterday so I took advantage. IF there's a few males so be it, I will chop and re-plant. I'm not there yet.

Last weekend I treated the girls with an SST (sprouted seed tea) with Wheat Grass sprouts and yesterday fed the girls with a ACT with alfalfa meal (handful), Crab meal (handful), pinch of Great White mycos, EWC (2 handfuls) and 2 tbs of Buffalo Loam. I skipped my outside compost this time since I just got rid of fungus gnats I'm giving myself a break from them for a week or so. THe fungus gnats come from the outdoor compost, nothing really to do about them but they are irritating to me for some reason. I bet most folks doing LOS have them, it's part of the deal I think, at least I don't have any other critters to worry about.

So I transplanted the girls that were in 3 liter buckets into larger containers, a few were getting close to root bound. I used the soil I have been growing for the last 3 months with the Kashi, this was amended soil I used from the last run. It smells sooo sweet wow, look and see how the girls have responded to 12/12 in the next few pics they have doubled in size in the last 5-6 days.

Here's a pick from last weekend:
WP_20150310_005.jpg

WP_20150310_007.jpg

These pics are from this morning.... gonna be topping soon if they keep stretching. They started out at about 15" tall at end of veg - we went a little long in veg cause I wanted bigger plants... ahem that may turn into a small problem fitting everything in. I can trim IF I have to. I'm going for a SOG here again since last run was soo fantastic. No flowers yet but its only been a week not even since the flip to 12/12, the fun is just about to start.

Keepin it green!! Cheers

WP_20150315_003.jpg
WP_20150315_002.jpg
WP_20150315_001.jpg

Here's another few pics from yesterday, girls are getting pretty big and still no flowers....

SleeSkunk1
WP_20150315_0031.jpg

Krystalica - I think this one is male see how skinny tall and lanky compared to the rest
WP_20150315_0021.jpg

2 short pheno Krystalica - they were started and fed the same as the HUGE girls in the back there.

WP_20150315_0011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom