Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Doc. I was wondering if you had tested brix from actual buds? If you had was there any difference between using the fan leaves. I was thinking of the parallel between wine grapes and weed. Wine growers test the grapes not the leaves. I guess what I was wondering was if the brix would be higher in a maturing bud?

I almost always test buds, but they're usually from the lower branches of stuff I clean up. I don't cut off flowering tops to test brix.....I use those for other things.

Many strains do well growing 12/12 from seed. Exceptions are slow growing strains like Purple urkel and something like SFV OG, which requires some veg if you want production.

I have a thc bomb, holy grail kush, strawberry sour diesel, kandy kush, northern lights blue all in 4 gallon Pots. I've never grown any of these strains and don't know if 600w will be enough.
Smooth

I have a thc bomb, holy grail kush, strawberry sour diesel, kandy kush, northern lights blue all in 4 gallon Pots. I've never grown any of these strains and don't know if 600w will be enough.
Smooth

I usually grow seeds 12/12. The only time I don't is if I'm searching for a certain pheno and need clones. I'd just start them on 12/12 and be done with it. Don't LST or anything....totally defeats the whole 12/12 concept.

Update:

Things are looking pretty good right now. I took some pics earlier in the day, then went back to the garden to foliar feed some Brix, add water to all the humidifiers, check on stuff and pet the girls.

I'll be harvesting, washing and hanging 5 Lemon Paki tomorrow, and at this point I'm going to say it's my best run of this strain ever. It's as potent or even more potent than the last run that Shottafire still has to reveiw(you out there?), but it has a stronger bouquet, while maintaining some of the delicate complexity of the High Brix version of this strain.

I hit it twice with the cationic drench. Once in week four, and again in week seven. You can see how it really brings on the color change. The buds get ridiculously sticky....seriously, you've got to see it, and the smell really comes out.

I'm growing this Lemon Thai the same way and already in week 2 of bloom I've got frosting on the fan leaves.

And then there's the Cherry Pie. Sticky, purple resin. mmmmmmmm.

Here's a pic of an early harvested, washed and dried Lemon Paki Bud. This is taken about 10 days early, as I really enjoy the sativa characteristics of this strain. But everyone else likes it to go the full 10 weeks, including me. I just like variety.
Picture_04533.jpg
Picture_04429.jpg
Picture_04332.jpg
Picture_04234.jpg
Picture_04132.jpg
Picture_04038.jpg
Picture_03934.jpg
Picture_03841.jpg
Picture_03733.jpg
Picture_03643.jpg
Picture_03539.jpg
Picture_03444.jpg
Picture_03251.jpg
Picture_03151.jpg
Picture_03052.jpg
Picture_02950.jpg
Picture_02853.jpg
Picture_02754.jpg
Picture_02658.jpg
Picture_02462.jpg
Picture_02360.jpg
Picture_01879.jpg
Picture_01772.jpg
Picture_01594.jpg
Picture_011118.jpg
Picture_010131.jpg
Picture_008135.jpg
Picture_007146.jpg
Picture_006163.jpg
Picture_005176.jpg
Picture_004187.jpg
Picture_003192.jpg
Picture_002191.jpg
Picture_001194.jpg

yaaay yaaaa thats what i'm talking about!!!

awesome Doc.

there is still a bit of the Cationic left in the bottle, should I use at 7 wks as you mentioned earlier?

Okay.....What's up Doc? Sorry Couldn't resist. What's up with washing? Harvest, wash, dry.... Why wash?

Why wash?

In short, it removes dirt, insect residue, dead skin cells, mold spores, PM spores (don't have any mold or PM but the spores are everywhere.) mites, mite eggs, and everything you sprayed on the plants.

The cornerstone of High Brix growing is foliar feeding, which means my plants get sprayed with smelly fish juice and stinky kelp, among other things.

Washing the buds gets all this crap off! It also super hydrates and allows for better drying and curing.

I also leave the sugar leaves on during the wash and dry, so when everything's dry, I remove the leaves and have washed trim for washed hash.

There is a side effect to washing the harvest: much better flavor. I'll never smoke an unwashed bud again.

Why wash?

In short, it removes dirt, insect residue, dead skin cells, mold spores, PM spores (don't have any mold or PM but the spores are everywhere.) mites, mite eggs, and everything you sprayed on the plants.

The cornerstone of High Brix growing is foliar feeding, which means my plants get sprayed with smelly fish juice and stinky kelp, among other things.

Washing the buds gets all this crap off! It also super hydrates and allows for better drying and curing.

I also leave the sugar leaves on during the wash and dry, so when everything's dry, I remove the leaves and have washed trim for washed hash.

There is a side effect to washing the harvest: much better flavor. I'll never smoke an unwashed bud again.

Damn, really!? Nice explanation! I stop all foliar when buds start to form and then nothing gets on my buds. But, I see how your method works, they sure do look awesome. Thanks Doc! :)

Wow Doc. Unbelievable. There is frosty buds, and then there is your buds.

Are you under the opinion now that the cat ionic drench is a definite improvement? I might have to talk you into sending me some of that.

A "definite improvement?" Hmmmm.....I don't know about that. It changes things for sure, and it adds resin.

But it also lowers brix just a bit....like from 15 to 13 or 17 to 15.

I'm still playing with it, trying to find the sweet spot. However, all my experimentation is measured against just following directions....which still produces the best overall product 90% of the time.

So far, the net result of my experiments has been negative:

1.)ruined a crop by adding K-mag
2.)cut yield 30-40% by using the Cationic Drench too early
3.)Burned holes in leaves using Bloomit

There have been some positive outcomes too...namely the resin production and increased (not better just stronger) flavor.

So I'm still working on it! You guys get to see it all, the good, bad and ugly.

The increased resin production and more flavor would be awesome. Any further experiments with the drench planned? For instance, just adding it once about week 6 or 7?

I've got all kinds of experiments, both planned and unplanned!

You would be far better off using the drench earlier, rather than later. Week 2, 3 or 4 is what my research is showing me. The second application later in bloom is still too new to draw any conclusions.

But don't get caught up in my crackpot ideas. Stick to the directions. The results are fantastic, and at least I know how to help if there's any trouble. Once you start going off the reservation you're on your own!

I've got all kinds of experiments, both planned and unplanned!

You would be far better off using the drench earlier, rather than later. Week 2, 3 or 4 is what my research is showing me. The second application later in bloom is still too new to draw any conclusions.

But don't get caught up in my crackpot ideas. Stick to the directions. The results are fantastic, and at least I know how to help if there's any trouble. Once you start going off the reservation you're on your own!

Now that made me laugh Doc. I am an experimenter too and I have lots of things I am trying on other plants (not on the plants using the kit). Sometimes trying new things pans out and sometimes it doesn't. I still love trying new stuff though.

My kit plants are strictly by the book. Or they should be unless I screw up.

It is pretty amazing that the basic formula for high brix is still pretty much the best.

The last round of pics about the middle of the pack was a plant about 4 weeks in flower. It had huge thin sativa like leaves. What strain was that Doc? That's a pretty plant.

The last round of pics about the middle of the pack was a plant about 4 weeks in flower. It had huge thin sativa like leaves. What strain was that Doc? That's a pretty plant.

Picture_03539.jpg

This one ^^^?

This is a pure thai strain. I have a good friend and fellow grower who has hundreds of exotic seeds from all kinds of crazy places. This is one of my favorites!

That's exactly the one Doc! That one really jumped out at me. Looks like something special.

I've renamed this strain "Champagne." It never really had a name....just Thai.

It's a very clear, gentle, Sativa high that I describe as a "sunshine bomb" in your head. After a few hits, you just feel great! The sky is a lovely shade of blue, the day is going perfect, smiles, feelings of good will and joy.....with very little body effect.

It makes you want to move and talk. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom