Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

You're liking them sativas, Ziggy eh? I'm waiting for my Mexican, there's lemon smell stronger with every day, buds are airy but these small trichomes one these limey calyxes tell me it's gonna be good weed :smokin:

It's a mess basically. I don't know how it is in USA, but in UE every country has different regulations, and it's the same all over the world. In a nutshell apples from Israel organic certified there might be considered synthetically grown in Italy. There's no way out of this but using as much local products as it's possible which you can check yourself. The more exotic things are in your grow the more there is the risk there are non-organic derived molecules (although on this level they are all just molecules) like in fish where I wouldn't be so obsessed with heavy metals as with radioactivity especially after Fukushima. Look where they found it recently: Radiation from Fukushima disaster newly detected off Canada's coast | Reuters. This is not to say that we don't have enough problems with runoff from commercially cultivated corn fields or whatever.The truth is there's nothing 100% organic, I could say I grow 99% organically. With the heavy metals in the ground they almost everywhere, it's just their levels are usually low so we don't have to worry about them. Once I started researching bat guano, but arsenic or boron are just too low there to raise the red flag. It's all about proportions, what won't kill you will make you weirder :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is why I try to use my own indredients. I know where they all come from....

Okay Doc,, have given my vegging plants two days of your top secret PM treatments. Followed the instructions, did early morning both yesterday and today. Thank you very much, my plants look great, excited to finish up the next two days.

Especially some destress which is coming next,, I've occasionally sprayed my non Doc plants with destress cause I love the smell and know,, well thought it wouldn't hurt. Never appeared to. Anyway, you know me I like to go freestyle every once in a while.

Plus I didn't want to waste any product ;)

Anyway, I didn't say anything before cause I figure you don't care and others have done it.

Here is my question of the day.... I'd like to use up what I have mixed up. Now that this PM treatments haven't hurt my mmj plants... I want to try my garden, non 420 type. Really just my tomatoes, I want to start them on day one treatment in the morning...

I think you said this was okay for non mmj, correct? Same regime?

BTW,,, organic is a state of mind. The word is used, abused, bought and sold. Organic to me means I use best practices and know how the product got to my plate. As safe as possible, but sometimes that means I have to use non organic pesticides in my non 420 garden only.

Doc, generally speaking.

What ratio of calcium to magnesium should high brix soil have?

Also if we are having to supplement calcium and/or magnesium what ratio should we aim for?

I have seen 7 to 1, 10 to 1, and 3 to 1 ratios mentioned in other areas of the internet.

Cheers for the reply, Doc; always a bit nerve racking making a first post with a stupid, juvenile joke! But I find it lowers the bar for any of my future noob questions, like these:
I'm in Australia (still on the the first pages of this so bear with me!), so what, approximately, is a "bale" of soil? Here, the standard bag size is 20-30 litres..
Also, compost... Why exactly is it not recommended? I make my own, and have quite a bit after a year of composting, and am planning on making it the base "nutrient" for everything; flowers, veggies, MJ.. I add coco and perlite plus various basic common organic amendments ala Subcool (but not as many ingredients and will drop dolomite and find some limestone)... Now will start "mineralizing" with your 6-5-3 mix... Could any level of high brix still be achieved via this route? Anything I should NOT be composting (I already avoid meat, poo etc..)? I save coffee grounds; sometimes crush up banana peel and dry egg shells..
And could/should I save some raw kitchen scraps from the pile for use in teas/drenchs? I'm thinking they'd be better in the pile but I'm sure I've read somewhere that teas can be made like this...
Cheers again!

Yes, the kit can and does ship to Australia.

Compost contains far too much potassium to achieve high brix. Also, as you keep adding more and more it chokes off all the microbial life in the soil. Turns out moderation is a principle that applies to soils and gardening as much as anything else.

Keep the compost down....way, way down. If you're adding Subcool's bat guano, bone/blood meal and all that, I wouldn't add any compost.

Interesting! I know jon frank offers alternative formulations for organic growers but i didnt know doc was using those. I did my soil test with IAG. Pretty sure my amendments are not omri certifiable.

The mineral amendment is 100% organic. The Tea, Transplant and Growth Energy are also 100% organic, but until recently the Transplant product had a tad too much Chilean Nitrate to meet the legal definition of organic, so a non-natural substitution was made with Calcium Nitrate that kept the product organic in the legal sense, but less natural at the same time.

Organic is a political term I suggest everyone stop using it in favor of other terms that are more descriptive of what we do:

biological farming
nutrient dense farming
high brix gardening/farming, etc.

I'm pondering when to "recharge" my outdoor soil.
The instructions say to wait until the 3rd week of bloom or until the buds have set (similar to the Cat drench use). My plants have been vegging since mid-April. The very first pistils are showing and both strains are supposed to be fairly short to finish at 6-7 weeks and 7-8 weeks.
So, should I wait another three weeks (or so), or should I do it earlier? If I wait, the recharge would only be in the soil for a 3-4 weeks on a 6 month grow.

The instructions say to wait until the 3rd week of bloom or until the buds have set (similar to the Cat drench use). My plants have been vegging since mid-April. The very first pistils are showing and both strains are supposed to be fairly short to finish at 6-7 weeks and 7-8 weeks.
So, should I wait another three weeks (or so), or should I do it earlier? If I wait, the recharge would only be in the soil for a 3-4 weeks on a 6 month grow.

Just do it. No problem. You're outside anyways.

Organic is a political term I suggest everyone stop using it in favor of other terms that are more descriptive of what we do:

biological farming
nutrient dense farming
high brix gardening/farming, etc.

Couldn't agree more.

Doc and fellow HB'ers,

I misjudged the amount of 'soil' (Doc's blend) I had left. I transplanted three of four plants into 7 gal pots (from 1 gal.) today and came up short. Each pot is about 1-2" shy of the top of the root ball and, obviously, I didn't have any for the 4th plant.

I have nothing cooking as it was my intention to purchase another bale of ProMix and EWC in preparation for another round of plants in Nov. So, I need a recommendation for what to use to finish the three already transplanted and to transplant the remaining plant.

I can purchase the Pro-mix and EWC today and get it going. Would you recommend using it "uncooked" for the fourth, or use a different soil for this one plant? Thanks.

Id go a bit overboard with the recharge outside...but thats just me :)

Doc and fellow HB'ers,

I misjudged the amount of 'soil' (Doc's blend) I had left. I transplanted three of four plants into 7 gal pots (from 1 gal.) today and came up short. Each pot is about 1-2" shy of the top of the root ball and, obviously, I didn't have any for the 4th plant.

I have nothing cooking as it was my intention to purchase another bale of ProMix and EWC in preparation for another round of plants in Nov. So, I need a recommendation for what to use to finish the three already transplanted and to transplant the remaining plant.

I can purchase the Pro-mix and EWC today and get it going. Would you recommend using it "uncooked" for the fourth, or use a different soil for this one plant? Thanks.

I'd use the uncooked soil as a topper with a good tablespoon of roots on the old soil...Then add the new stuff. IMO

Id go a bit overboard with the recharge outside...but thats just me :)

I would if I could, but I only have the amount that came with the kit. 1/2 went to each plant along with about 1 lb of EWC per plant.

I would if I could, but I only have the amount that came with the kit. 1/2 went to each plant along with about 1 lb of EWC per plant.

Well bro, the amount that comes with the kit is enough for 6 plants in 7 gal pots. If you put half on each plant, id call that "over doing" it :)
Youll be fine bro :)

Doc and fellow HB'ers,

Top them off with some virgin promix, EWC and Roots! You'll be just fine.

haven't posted much recently, wanted to throw up a few pics of my recently harvested grape ape. one with flash and one without. ill be posting some of docs pics right after
image30185.jpg
image30186.jpg

Back
Top Bottom