Doctor Trevor's Blue Dream: Marcia, Jan & Cindy

Good morning Doc , hope everything is going well for you.
If I had to guess I'd say slightly overwatered.
Are you letting it dry right to the bottom before rewatering again.
She the only problem girl?
If so its probably not a temp or rh issue.

Stay safe
Bill
I looked at all three of my plants. Jan still looked like this.

Last Friday, I raised Jan so she wouldn't be directly on the drip tray. Allowed better drainage and aeration. Any other suggestions?

I looked at all three of my plants. Jan still looked like this.

Last Friday, I raised Jan so she wouldn't be directly on the drip tray. Allowed better drainage and aeration. Any other suggestions?
Just let her dry out so oxygen gets to the roots.
Stop watering for a few days at least.
Until she has no water weight.

Stay safe
Bill

Today was watering and haircut day!

I gave each girl 3 cups of pH-adjusted water, stopping before there was run off. I wanted to keep them a little thirsty as Jan still has the curled leaf problem (where some thought she was overwatered). I would've held off on watering her, totally, but her leaves were drooping. All three pots were very light to pick up. Not much water left.

Can a plant show signs of overwatering and underwater at the same time?

I placed some wine corks in their drainage pans, which should help with drainage and aeration.

j1-030822.jpg
j2-030822.jpg
cm1-030822.jpg

Ten hours after watering Jan, her leaves perked up; the soil was dry and she was thirsty. They are still curled up.

Surfing the web, I see people saying it's magnesium deficiency, two much heat, windburn, overfeeding. I feed/water them the same way. And they are the same distance from the lights.

I would think, all things being equal, that Cindy would suffer from overfeeding/watering as she's the smallest.

I'll see if the fan was pointing directly at Jan.

I'm confused.

j1-030922.jpg

I changed the lighting to twelve on/twelve off.

Jan's leaves are beginning to droop again, as if they're thirsty. But they still curl upward, resembling the heads of a venus fly trap. Picking the pot up tells me there's still some water left. I'll check again tomorrow.

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS: Whether you loved or hated the series, 'The Brady Bunch Movie' and 'A Very Brady Sequel' with Shelley Long and Gary Cole were great parody/tribute films.

Fed the girls today. I prepared a gallon of nute solution consisting of:
2tb. Big Bloom;
1tb. Grow Big;
2ts. Terpinator;
.25ts. CalMag Xtra;
.5ts Open Sesame
The pH was adjusted to 6.22.

I was surprised by the varying amounts each of them took before runoff. Jan (the problem child) took three cups. Jan took four. Cindy took nearly five.

Jan still has that problem with her leaves curling upwards. I can't imagine it being overwatering at this point. Her pot (as well as her sisters') was extremely light to pick up. You can see her leaves in the following close up photo.

c&j1-031222.jpg
j1-031222.jpg
m1-031222.jpg

Late last night, I flushed the soil on the girls. I mixed ten gallons of water with 7 tablespoons of Bush Doctor and adjusted the pH to 6.2.

Just prior to flushing Cindy, she fell from a perch (about eighteen inches). Things got shook up enough that she now stands at a noticeable angle. I'll have to keep on eye on her to make sure she doesn't become a hermie. Can anyone tell me how early I could see nannas on her?

Late last night, I flushed the soil on the girls. I mixed ten gallons of water with 7 tablespoons of Bush Doctor and adjusted the pH to 6.2.

Just prior to flushing Cindy, she fell from a perch (about eighteen inches). Things got shook up enough that she now stands at a noticeable angle. I'll have to keep on eye on her to make sure she doesn't become a hermie. Can anyone tell me how early I could see nannas on her?
Hey Doc hope everything is going good today.
Dropping a lady won't cause her to hermie.
Don't worry about it.
But your second question.
I've found a girl won't show nanners until in flower.
But forget that I'd be more concerned with that curling and drooping.
What are your temps , rh and how is air flow?

Stay safe
Bill

Temperature is between 75 and 80 degrees F. Humidity is about 35%. There is a small fan at the bottom of the tent. A 6" inline fan draws everything out.
Temp is slightly high but not bad but combined with that rh it's hard on your ladles.
This chart is approximate but it'll give you an idea of the rh and temp combo you should be aiming for.
Can you get it up above 35?

Stay safe
Bill

Screenshot_20220309-104413_Google.jpg

I can put a pan in the tent with water in it. Turn the fan on it.
Wet towel helps.
Give it a shot.
I had to get a mist humidifier at one point but it was below 35 then.
See what you can do and keep an eye on the edge curl.
See if it improves or gets worse?

Stay safe
Bill

Just checked on the girls. 77 degrees F and 43% humidity. I put the water pan in there this morning. The high humidity, today, obviously helped.

Marcia's leaves are opened and curl up only slightly.

Fed the girls today. I prepared a gallon of nute solution consisting of:
1tb. Big Bloom;
1tb. Grow Big;
2ts. Terpinator;
.25ts. CalMag Xtra;
.5ts Open Sesame
The pH was adjusted to 6.2

The girls still have one or two bright yellow leaves, along the bottom. Hence the CalMag Xtra.

I've started LST on the three of them.

My big concern is Cindy, after her fall. While she is growing quickly (having caught up to her sisters), I'm worried that the jolt she took upended the roots to some degree. As you can see in the photo, her stalk comes out of the soil at a very off angle; it was straight up before her accident.

c1-032022.jpg

Just watered the girls. Using pH-balanced water, Cindy took six cups while Jan and Marcia took just under five before run off.

Cindy is now taller than her sisters, which is a little funny as she is a week younger than the others. I'm probably going to have to transpot them into five gallons pots very soon. I'm afraid they'll become top heavy and fall over.

Fed the girls today. I prepared a 1.5 gallon nute solution consisting of:
1.5 tb. Big Bloom;
1.5 tb. Grow Big;
1tb. Terpinator;
.5ts Open Sesame
The pH was adjusted to 6.2

I continue LST on the three of them. Stalks are popping up left and right.

I plan to transpot to five gallon pots on the next watering day. Photos then!

Tonight, I transpotted the girls from one gallon pots to five gallon pots.

I started by filling each receiving pot about a third of the way with FoxFarm Ocean Forest. Each pot received a third of a gallon of pH-adjusted water, just to moisten things. A few hours later, I moved the girls to their new homes and topped off the pots with more soil. I watered them more, with about 2/3 of a gallon of pH-adjusted water.

Tomorrow, I'll perform LST on them (it's too late for me to do this now and I'm all achy).

Photos then!

Performed the LST on the girls this morning. Cindy, the youngest of the three is now the tallest. Jan, the middle child, is much smaller.

I've placed a humidifier in the tent. Humidity levels, however, haven't really changed. I tried a second hydrometer and had the same results.
mjc1-032922.jpg
m1-032922.jpg
j1-032922.jpg
c1-032922.jpg

Back
Top Bottom