DSX Super Critical Indoor SCRoG - 2013

Anyone? Any idea on why the top of the colas are not producing? And Should I or Shouldn't I remove them?

So far there is 4 main colas not producing on tops, but the side shoots of these colas are producing. I have figured out that it is only 2 plants with the issue. Pictures off the weirdness. Photos of top of colas, then photos from the side shoots from the same colas. Also took 1 other picture of the top of another cola that is equal height with all 4 of the ones I am having issues with so light penetration is not my issue. Last pic is of cola same height , I mean they look pretty full of thc as opposed to the rest so maybe let it grow and that'll be the best? lol Idk. First time experiencing such weird issue.

IMAG013513.jpg

IMAG013825.jpg

IMAG014220.jpg

IMAG013916.jpg

IMAG014118.jpg

IMAG014019.jpg

IMAG013719.jpg

IMAG013617.jpg

IMAG014519.jpg

IMAG014419.jpg

These are all the different ideas people had:

rootbound issues

Heat stress?

Too much light heat at canopy level?

not getting nutes to top. Ck for nute lock out(however you do that) or stop sampling

Light burn on top node.

I was leaning towards RH issues. Air too dry can cause K deficiencies and poor development.

That is why I thought light burn based on pictures.

I feel it is a combination of NotoriousBOB and Dennise answers.

That one is a stumper for sure. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the light was too close for awhile.....some brownish areas barely noticeable on one of those non producing colas. I'm stumped. LOL

well something is definitely happening up top sending the energy down
i say genetic issue
throwing it out there in the wind the wildest guess i can think of

Nute lock. Straight up and it recovered and is regenerating now , something you did already began correcting it.

Heat/light stress was mentioned several times...but Ladyjane got it first....

Anything that stresses a plant enough will create some form of shock , they can resort to growing in certain areas more than others in reaction to many adverse conditions or being exposed to too much nutrients all sorts of reasonable things could be possible , that is why I try to trace my steps. Light on some fresh roots that are exposed tot he surface of the soil can make the tops stop growing I had that issue in the past. Lots of possibilities.

his pic shows low 80's on heat in soil that shouldnt stop it

I think our judges agreed on some kind of nute lock that has already began repairing itself, but some suggested it could be a combination of heat stress with past nute lock. Has the plant ever had any kind of nute stress or problems? One judge suggested that it is already repairing itself and you could probably just wait it out.

:passitleft:

I have never over fed them, nor have I had nute lock issues. There was one time we thought we had a nute lock out but it was fixed by flushing constantly with ph'd 6-6.5 water. Too much heat @ canopy level? Temps are sitting 85-90 at canopy and how are the others that are higher up producing? The only one that KIND of makes sense of what it should be is rootbound. Maybe those potential 3-4 shoots on each plant are rootbound but then how do my other buds continue to grow?? :\

Nutelock, but has recovered? I do not think so, they are not recovering because only the side shoots are growing and even then not all of the side shoots are. Still a few of them look exactly as the top part, I have done plants start to finish in 3gal pots. They are sitting in a 3gal pot but with an extra 2gal of dirt added in the dirtbag for a total of 5gal. Bud growth has come to a halt for these.

I was leaning towards genetics but odd how they are layered in so much thc :eek:

Odd, very odd.

I dont htink it's heat, the light is plenty far away if you have a look at the pic. Temps have been 85-95 easily but the plants are having zero issues with it. I think heat with cannabis is all about how it's managed and not simply omg its 95 they're fucked ( a side from below freezing ofc ). I think a climate a plant has been brought into and raised too will succeed in that climate like these girls have. They have suffered minor burns on leave from my not raising the light when I should have but lesson learned, the light is up to the top of the tent now. No issue with pots.

Maybe ... just MAYBE from defoliation that is honestly the only thing that makes sense.
1. The colas look like Day 21 of bud growth ( Day of defoliation )
2. They haven't produced since.

Odd how the rest of them thrive so well and this 1 plant takes 3 colas dud and another plant makes another cola a dud.

Oh well, good fucking hash I say! Ride it till the wheels fall off!

Sounds good ....just trying to help out if I can :)

One thing I do know for certain from my degree in urban forestry is that mature trees shut down growth of the outer canopy when temps are around 90 degrees as a protection mechanism ...they will rely only on the inner foliage to photosinthisize...I'm am not a botanist so it may not apply but it is something to think about...heat and light stress coupled with the stress from defol could greatly slow growth

Hope you figure it out buddy :high-five:

Sounds good ....just trying to help out if I can :)

One thing I do know for certain from my degree in urban forestry is that mature trees shut down growth of the outer canopy when temps are around 90 degrees as a protection mechanism ...they will rely only on the inner foliage to photosinthisize...I'm am not a botanist so it may not apply but it is something to think about...heat and light stress coupled with the stress from defol could greatly slow growth

Hope you figure it out buddy :high-five:

You sound entirely right but the thing is, the rest of the colas are growing great. It's extremely rare I have NEVER seen this out of the 4-5 grows I have done and the ones I have seen on other forums... Odd.

I guess only time will tell we will check roots on harvest and all that good stuff.

Gave a very heavy watering if phd 6.5 water today about 1/2 gallon per plant some could say flush lol. I just wanted to make sure the roots below the pot that have went into the bag are getting wet so we will see response from them soon. Either way those girls who are stunted are producing some mad crystal. I'll probably end up with a joint from every shoot/top of the non growing colas but my god will it be some good smoke.

Edit , I'll drop ballast to 50% instead of 600 so it should run on 300w for the next 4-6 days and see how they react. That will be my trial to see if any growth occurs

So I took temps @ top of canopy farthest from the fan and they are coming in at 90. The other side is coming in at 85.

I have re arranged some top colas to be pulled over to the side more as when felt they felt a little dry and cruncy almost but not near 100% dried out. I am assuming that the main cause is 100% heat and as Jay said the side shoots are shutting down. So I have tied the dry and crunchy colas over to the side frame of the tent where the other colas are producing as normal. I did iti n a way that they are not blocking the remaining top and top 1/2 of the other shoots. Temps coming in at 85-90 is about perfect considering last heigh was coming in at 110 fuck me.

So I have resumed at 100% ballast power and will keep monitoring temps and the buds to make sure this does not happen again! I think my ultimate mistake was not LSTing to keep them low enough I think they got a bit too high in stretch then I had anticipated. Maybe use clones next time or just LST the fuck out of them until they look like LA's hahaha.

Thanks all will report back soon

Day 27 flower

So I have tied a few of the colas up that have been having issues with the heat. Hopefully this will subside it, on the plus side we have more flower growth :thumb:

Will keep monitoring the temp levels at height of plants. Wanna see some growth out of the heat stressed colas in the next 3-4 days and then I'll feel a little better.

:420:

Picture_13012.jpg

Picture_12915.jpg

Picture_12313.jpg
Picture_12216.jpg
Picture_12513.jpg

I'd like to say thanks again for the help folks very appreciated.

How do I go about solving the crunchy tops? I had hoped over night they would regain some moisture which they did a bit but not much. They are not 100% dried out they still have moisture in them but I am wondering if should take a light mist to these dried colas to kick start them again. I know adding moisture at this stage is ridic but it may just benefit these select colas and give them what they need!

Let me know folks! :circle-of-love:

If it was me I would just give them some time to recover...your flower period will be extended a little but if they have improved a little that quickly then they are on the road to recovery...good luck buddy you have a very nice grow :thumb:

Thanks a lot jay and now on my order list is an Air cooled reflector, or I may just build one to save my self 100$ or so.

Gonna use sheet metal, pyrex bake around, and 2x 4" holes like I had originally planned and run Carbon filter > light > ducting > 4" 190cfm fan > exhaust.

Should work pretty good, although my fan works better pushing through the filter then pulling so I may put filter at end.

Thanks a lot jay and now on my order list is an Air cooled reflector, or I may just build one to save my self 100$ or so.

Gonna use sheet metal, pyrex bake around, and 2x 4" holes like I had originally planned and run Carbon filter > light > ducting > 4" 190cfm fan > exhaust.

Should work pretty good, although my fan works better pushing through the filter then pulling so I may put filter at end.

Nice that will help a lot...I have my 600 in a cool tube with a 450 cfm extraction fan (6 inch duct) and I keep it about 12 inches away with canopy temps at 76-79 F

I think you can buy one for less than $100

Back
Top Bottom