First Attempt - Indoor Soil CFL's 3 Strains Clones

Sunday morning pix and some observations, I'm beginning to suspect that the Papaya was not labeled right. Sort of like when you buy beefsteak tomato plants and it produces cherry tomatoes. Between thurs. nite and friday morning it stretched over an inch, some restraint was required.
Pap_3-13-11_06.jpg
Pap_3-13-11_02.jpg
Pap_3-13-11_05.jpg
Pap_3-13-11_03.jpg

Cherry Pez, now that looks like indica.
CP_3-13-11_01.jpg
CP_3-13-11_02.jpg
CP_3-13-11_04.jpg
CP_3-13-11_03.jpg

Black or white background, any opinions?

Pineapple Thai.
PT_3-13-11_01.jpg
PT_3-13-11_02.jpg
PT_3-13-11_03.jpg
PT_3-13-11_04.jpg

This is day 10 in my care, and they're still alive :cheer:

Hey nice grow journal you have (cant wait to start my own) I´m gonna follow your´s if thats ok. Like the strains you have! I never try Papaya but I´m gonna! Good luck on your growth, peace Jimmy

I've not had a ton of luck with the S.E. Asian sativas either. Maybe the salt in the air... who knows? They don't like to be fed like plants I'm used to either. They always get nitrogen claws and burnt tips the minute they go to flower. Evolved in crappy soil maybe?
Good luck with that Thai hahahahahaha
looks like every Thai I've tried :tokin:

OMM's Papaya was pretty straight up Indica....comes highly recommended by him. I'm getting more Lucy, more Aurora, and a Papaya this time around

Hey nice grow journal you have (cant wait to start my own) I´m gonna follow your´s if thats ok. Like the strains you have! I never try Papaya but I´m gonna! Good luck on your growth, peace Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, happy to have you, we can learn together, and you might avoid my mistakes. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and I'm going to need a lot of help. I'll be waiting to see your grow.

I dig the white backrounds! ;)

The Papya has some pretty wide leaves. you can tell there is some indica in there somewhere....

OMM's Papaya was pretty straight up Indica....comes highly recommended by him. I'm getting more Lucy, more Aurora, and a Papaya this time around

From what I've read, the Papaya is pure indica, but it when vertical so fast.
The sets (not sure of proper terminology) are over an inch and a half apart, where the
Cherry, indica dom., the sets are popping less than an inch, and plant is staying
fairly compact.

Also, all 3 plants are starting to show pistils, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep them on 18/6 before going 12/12.

Hello there, nice job with the CFLs! There is just something about building stuff and watching it work...especially when it does work. :thumb:

Hope you don't mind another visitor...:popcorn:

From what I've read, the Papaya is pure indica, but it when vertical so fast.
The sets (not sure of proper terminology) are over an inch and a half apart, where the
Cherry, indica dom., the sets are popping less than an inch, and plant is staying
fairly compact.

Also, all 3 plants are starting to show pistils, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep them on 18/6 before going 12/12.

I think you need the internode spacing between branches. Also all clones show pistils, its their preflowers. Grow em till you feel their big enough. Just remember to compensate for the stretch period when you switch to flowering if vertical space is an issue

I think you need the internode spacing between branches. Also all clones show pistils, its their preflowers. Grow em till you feel their big enough. Just remember to compensate for the stretch period when you switch to flowering if vertical space is an issue

I agree. It's up to you when you want to switch. Just remember that they will double if not triple in size during flowering.

Hello there, nice job with the CFLs! There is just something about building stuff and watching it work...especially when it does work. :thumb:

Hope you don't mind another visitor...:popcorn:

Hey, Dirt, you're more than welcome here. It was your 12-pack set-up that inspired me to get off my lazy butt and put my lights together. Sat and looked at that hood for 2 months trying to figure out how to put it to use. So far it seems to be doing the job.

I agree. It's up to you when you want to switch. Just remember that they will double if not triple in size during flowering.

Thanks guys, I want to leave the Cherry au natural, but I'm afraid it's going to
out grow the other two. They'll probably need booster seats to stay close to the light. I'll try to get pix tomorrow, today was watering and that annoyed them enough for one day.

Hey, Dirt, you're more than welcome here. It was your 12-pack set-up that inspired me to get off my lazy butt and put my lights together. Sat and looked at that hood for 2 months trying to figure out how to put it to use. So far it seems to be doing the job.

Thanks, I'm glad I could help out in one way or another. :)

Since I'm on my first real grow now, I can see how the CFLs are working. They have actually light bleached my PC fans! Should be interesting when I stick 4 42w bulbs in the mix.

Its been 14 days since the girls came to live here. The Pineapple Thai is showing yellowing on the edge of some leaves. curling up at edges and a curling down at the tips. The head is very dense, and I wonder if she needs to finally be fed.
PT_3-17-11_01.jpg
PT_3-17-11_04.jpg
PT_3-17-11_02.jpg
PT_3-17-11_03.jpg

The Papaya has not shown any further problems, other than being spindly.
Pap_3-17-11_01.jpg
Pap_3-17-11_03.jpg
Pap_3-17-11_02.jpg

Cherry Pez is like a perfect child, she just grows and gives me no worries. 9" now, 5 inches of growth in 14 days.
CP_3-17-11_01.jpg
CP_3-17-11_02.jpg
CP_3-17-11_03.jpg

Happy St. Paddy's to all, time to kick back with a bowl or two of the green, and watch the "Boondock Saints" movies.

Not exactly sure if I can help on this or if it's really the same but here it goes anyway... My girls are supposedly a cross with pure Thai and they looked almost identical to your pineapple ladies when they were younger.

My little ones got nute burned bad with almost no nutes (around 250-300 PPMs). The grower I got them from said he was feeding them alot less than his other strains and only adding around 1ml per gal of GH 3 part (~100 PPMs) when they were around two week old clones. They also hated my tap water, pH was never the same for very long and they did what yours are doing now.

From what I remember you haven't fed them yet correct? What type of water are you using? Not sure If this helps at all but there may be a small connection.

:goodluck:

Not exactly sure if I can help on this or if it's really the same but here it goes anyway... My girls are supposedly a cross with pure Thai and they looked almost identical to your pineapple ladies when they were younger.

My little ones got nute burned bad with almost no nutes (around 250-300 PPMs). The grower I got them from said he was feeding them alot less than his other strains and only adding around 1ml per gal of GH 3 part (~100 PPMs) when they were around two week old clones. They also hated my tap water, pH was never the same for very long and they did what yours are doing now.

From what I remember you haven't fed them yet correct? What type of water are you using? Not sure If this helps at all but there may be a small connection.

:goodluck:

I've used distilled water only and have used no nutes. I went to the hydro store last night and got a PH meter. I've been trying to use the the color change drops, but have a hard time comparing the colors with the chart, (not a good sign for a press operator). So anyway, the distilled reads 6.8, my tap water is 8.1, and in an experiment, I ran a gallon thru a carbon filter and let it sit open for 3 days, and it now reads 7.7, I have no idea what the TDS is.

in my experience, filtered and distilled water leads to eventual nutrient deficiency because it removes trace minerals like magnesium and calcium. Id suggest using tap water and lowering the pH via lemon juice.

:Namaste:

Reps to you xbox, that just slipped my mind :goodjob:

That is very true and reminds me, maybe this would be a good time to pick up some Cal-Mag and add it to the water. If your tap water is good that would be the cheapest and easiest way, but without a TDS reading you really have no way of knowing how much stuff is in your water. HempRocket made the suggestion to me to add enough Cal-Mag to get a TDS of 60...without a meter that is around 2-3ml per gallon of distilled water and less for RO. It has worked out great for me.

in my experience, filtered and distilled water leads to eventual nutrient deficiency because it removes trace minerals like magnesium and calcium. Id suggest using tap water and lowering the pH via lemon juice.

:Namaste:

Reps to you xbox, that just slipped my mind :goodjob:

That is very true and reminds me, maybe this would be a good time to pick up some Cal-Mag and add it to the water. If your tap water is good that would be the cheapest and easiest way, but without a TDS reading you really have no way of knowing how much stuff is in your water. HempRocket made the suggestion to me to add enough Cal-Mag to get a TDS of 60...without a meter that is around 2-3ml per gallon of distilled water and less for RO. It has worked out great for me.

Thanks guys, tomorrow is watering day, and I have 6 gallons of filtered tap sitting for 2 days now. the filter I used states that it reduces lead, chlorine, lindane, cysts, asbestos and sediment. I have PH-Up & Down.

One other thing, I borrowed one of those soil PH probe meters, the cheap ones, and it's reading my soil at 6.8-7.1 (eyeball estimate). I was wondering if I should take the water down to 6.4-6.5 to try and bring the soil down a little.

6.5 is definitely the sweet spot for soil. @ 6.8 and up the Iron and Manganese drop and could cause a deficiency. I'll find the pH uptake chart when I get to a computer or if someone can post it up that would be great. If you can I would suggest picking up a decent pH meter as I have heard that the stick meters aren't very accurate. I picked up my Milwaukee pH meter for around $35 bucks and it works great. I calibrate it weekly and it has never been more than 0.1+/- off. I started out using the pH test kit that came with the GH up/down and when I picked up my digital meter I found out I was waaay off.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure the gurus around here will chime in with some more info.

Back
Top Bottom