First Attempt - Indoor Soil CFL's 3 Strains Clones

This is my first try at growing since the early 70s, Back then I tried to grow in a closet with Gro-lux fluorescent bulbs, all failures. So with a little luck and a lot of help, maybe we can get me a decent bit of bud. Time to get started.

The strains: Papaya (indica), Cherry Pez (hybrid), Pineapple Thai (sativa).
In veg how long: About 8hrs here, at collective - unknown.
Indoor or outdoor: Indoor S.J. dr80 tent.
Soil or hydro: Soil.
The mix: 2 parts organic potting soil 1 part Manna Mix both from Vital Earths
Pot size: Geopots 3 gallon.
Size of light: Home built, 10 23w CFL's 6 - 6500 K. and 4 - 2700 K. will
reverse for flowering and add some 2700 drop downs.
Is light aircooled:sort of, computer fan on end of fixture. (photos coming).
Temp of room/tent: 69.7/74.5
RH of room/tent: 49/55
Ph of media: Unknown
Any pests: Not yet
How often watering: To be determined
Type of ferts: Moonshine Park Farms 3 part system
Part 1 - Phantasia 0-4-2
Part 2 - K Magic 0-0-3
Part 3 - Flourish 3-0-2
Full strength calls for 10ml of each per gallon of
water

Now on to the good stuff.

phpuVZcoqPM.jpg

The little ladies get settled in their new home.

phpQnkyJCPM1.jpg

Papaya 5 inches tall.

phpn1IBg3PM.jpg

Cherry Pez 4 inches

php4WpcrIPM.jpg

phpZ7fNtoPM.jpg

Pineapple Thai - Weed-zilla - LST'ed at potting - 5 hrs later she turned her
pretty little face back to the light. Thats enough for tonight, more tomorrow.

Re: First attempt, Indoor Soil CFLs 3 strains clones

you're gonna like that Papaya I suspect. I'm about to start some in the next cycle myself. The 6400k cfl's are for vegging (pretty much exclusively) and you can get them like an inch from the leaves without problems. Light does not come from the ends as well as the sides...turn them "lengthwise" rather than "point" them. I don't know that you'll save on the electric (because you'll need so many) but you'll have less heat fer sure. Great bud can be had with these things...{look @ Bluedog's journal and my gallery} but I have the equal of 14, 100wtt bulbs around each big plant. (2) 300w overhead (big ones) and pairs of 100w all around the sides. All 2700k...once the switch to flower. I can do about 4 large (4 ft) plants at once in my room....the limiting factor being the lights. Most will advise you to play around a bit with CFLs...for a couple grows. By then you'll be hooked and looking at LEDs and CMHLs and stuff. :)
I'm burning the best buds of the last 40 years:lot-o-toke::ganjamon: and I do it with CFLs.....and some supplemental sunshine
Any questions? Please feel free to ask. We are all here to help each other....(and maybe show off....just a little bit! )
:peacetwo::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

I have Papaya seeds waiting to be planted also. I just have to finish my current crop and I'll be growing it myself. You're on track, girls looking really good.

you're gonna like that Papaya I suspect. I'm about to start some in the next cycle myself. The 6400k cfl's are for vegging (pretty much exclusively) and you can get them like an inch from the leaves without problems. Light does not come from the ends as well as the sides...turn them "lengthwise" rather than "point" them. I don't know that you'll save on the electric (because you'll need so many) but you'll have less heat fer sure. Great bud can be had with these things...{look @ Bluedog's journal and my gallery} but I have the equal of 14, 100wtt bulbs around each big plant. (2) 300w overhead (big ones) and pairs of 100w all around the sides. All 2700k...once the switch to flower. I can do about 4 large (4 ft) plants at once in my room....the limiting factor being the lights. Most will advise you to play around a bit with CFLs...for a couple grows. By then you'll be hooked and looking at LEDs and CMHLs and stuff. :)
I'm burning the best buds of the last 40 years:lot-o-toke::ganjamon: and I do it with CFLs.....and some supplemental sunshine
Any questions? Please feel free to ask. We are all here to help each other....(and maybe show off....just a little bit! )
:peacetwo::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

Thanks Chopper for taking a look and the words of encouragement. I've been lurking the CFL grows for several months now and have gotten a lot of ideas
from many people. I'll be posting pictures of my lights and goofy designs.

Here are some pix of my light.
phpjuYS0dPM.jpg

Old 2 ft fluorescent reflector, 24.5 inch piece of 1X3 white poplar mounted in center, 5 socket cleats wired parallel, 5 Y sockets.
phpttRz1uPM.jpg

3-speed computer fan mounted at end.
phpCFtv5oPM.jpg
phpBwXRP2PM.jpg

The reflector extender.
php9h5hFKPM.jpg

2 pieces foam core 6X24, duct tape, 2 binder clips. Hangs saddle bag style over
reflector. Clips pinch extra length of tape to pull boards to firmly to reflector.
Right now it's set to hang straight down, pinching a little more and they start to
spread, I think I can get at least a 45 degree angle for a canopy effect.
Picture_03815.jpg

Hung on light.
Picture_03322.jpg

One side flipped up.

the plug in outlets, a power strip and some quick ties make a dandy multi bulb light too. Zip it to a wood block or overhead or whatever for stability.

Its only day 3 and I have troubles. This morning the Papaya showed what I hope is only light burn on some leaves. The Cherry Pez shows some curling down at the edge of some of the leaves. The Pineapple Thai seems to be OK. I gave them all a drink of 6.5 water, 16oz. The temp in the tent is 74.5 and the
RH is 44. Any help will be welcome. I know I need a lot of practice with this camera, I hope these pix are adequate.
phpCRW6RwPM.jpg
phpgpbmqqPM.jpg

The Papaya
phpckVZOEAM.jpg

The Cherry Pez
phpxEjNxZPM.jpg
phpKE0uBjPM.jpg

The Pineapple Thai.

Do you only water where the stem is coming out of the ground? What you should really be doing is really drenching the soil so that there is maybe 10-30% runoff. Then you should let them dry out before you water again. And I don't know if you said you were feeding them yet, but your soil should have plenty of nutes for them for the next few weeks.

cool CFL hood. I like the fan on the side.

This morning the Papaya showed what I hope is only light burn on some leaves

Im not sure if its nute burn you have there if thats what you meant. Nute burn starts at the tips. Your Papaya is showing marks in the middle of the leaves. Not sure what it is thou. I could be wrong

Do you only water where the stem is coming out of the ground? What you should really be doing is really drenching the soil so that there is maybe 10-30% runoff. Then you should let them dry out before you water again. And I don't know if you said you were feeding them yet, but your soil should have plenty of nutes for them for the next few weeks.

HempRocket, thanks for stopping by. No nutes yet, and for a while. I just gave then each a pint of water at the stem because it was dry for about 2 inches down and I had saturated the pots on Wednesday when I filled them, and planted on Friday. Should I have lights on 24/0 or 18/6 now. I was thinking about going 12/12 in 10 days to 2 weeks or so.

cool CFL hood. I like the fan on the side.

Im not sure if its nute burn you have there if thats what you meant. Nute burn starts at the tips. Your Papaya is showing marks in the middle of the leaves. Not sure what it is thou. I could be wrong

I lay awake nights thinking these thing up and ways to make then work.

I doubt that its nute burn, I haven't used any yet. I wonder if they got a little cooked by the lights but those leaves are down a ways and the tops are OK.
The lights are about 2 inches above the tops.

unless you have a fan other then the one on your hood Id recommend getting one on the plants... It will keep temps down and give strength to your stems

CFL is typically the closer the better.. I have had a CFL touch a leave and not burn it.. but my 8 CFL hood is causing some considerable heat so i can imagine your 10 are producing even more. could be heat.. not sure thou. if it was able to cause burn marks you'd notice heat stress throughout your plant.. I dont see that

unless you have a fan other then the one on your hood Id recommend getting one on the plants... It will keep temps down and give strength to your stems

CFL is typically the closer the better.. I have had a CFL touch a leave and not burn it.. but my 8 CFL hood is causing some considerable heat so i can imagine your 10 are producing even more. could be heat.. not sure thou. if it was able to cause burn marks you'd notice heat stress throughout your plant.. I dont see that

The fan on the hood is just to move a little air thru the bulbs. I have an 8 in. blowing fresh air in thru one of the lower side vents and out thru the top vent,
all the girls are getting a nice gentle wind blowing thru them. I'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

You can have them on 24/0 or 18/6. It's really up to you. The only thing I would suggest is not switch from 24/0 to 18/6 and back again. Once you choose a light schedule, stick with it to minimize the chances of hermies.

:reading420magazine: Subscribed buddy![/QUOTE

xbox, thanks for coming on board, I vaped some Blue Dragon yesterday and it made me to stupid to do any real work, so I ran thru your Blue Dream journal, beautiful plant. If I can get one half as nice, I'll be happy.

A few pix from this morning, they're looking better after the good watering yesterday.

The group
Group_3-10_001.jpg

The Papaya 2 inch height in 7 days.
Pap_3-10_001.jpg
Pap_3-10_003.jpg
Pap_3-10_002.jpg

The Pineapple Thai
PT_3-10_004.jpg
PT_3-10_005.jpg
PT_3-10_003.jpg

The Cherry Pez 1 inch gain.
CP_3-10_001.jpg
CP_3-10_003.jpg
CP_3-10_002.jpg

Wow! im on board for sure! nice custom light setup. looks like its working well!! Also, good avatar phrase ;)

~L

Hey Lebowskii, welcome aboard, buckle-up, this might be a bumpy ride.
I'm working on a hare-brained idea for some drop down side reflectors made from
things in the recycle bin.

Back
Top Bottom