First Grow - Blue Dream - 4x4 Tent - 1000W Light - DWC

Its only a guess but looks like it will cost me $1500. for 8 oz on my first tent grow for just electricity and nutes, no good! I wont ever flower in summer with 600w hps again. I think my next run is 16 plants topped twice and scrogged in my 5x9 tent flowerd out by June.
Happy Holidays!!

Great report! Did you noticed any difference between the terminal (main) tops and those lateral which you have manifolded? Damn, those jars must be huge! :D Great stuff. :love: :Namaste:

Thanks Tomula! I definitely noticed that the terminal buds were much denser compared to the lateral buds, but the level of trichomes and terpenes seemed about the same. I will post pics under the microscope in a few days so we can get a better look at em :thanks:

Its only a guess but looks like it will cost me $1500. for 8 oz on my first tent grow for just electricity and nutes, no good! I wont ever flower in summer with 600w hps again. I think my next run is 16 plants topped twice and scrogged in my 5x9 tent flowerd out by June.
Happy Holidays!!

Yeah I agree with you on the "growing during summer" piece, having grow room temps in the 90s is brutal! By this time next year I am hoping to use the Perfect Sun Goliath for my summer grow since it offers excellent light output but with much less heat than a MH/HPS. :Namaste:

Hi folks, so I will update this thread with bud pics and a smoke report in about 2 weeks after they have had some time in the jars to cure :drool:;):cool::cheesygrinsmiley:

In the meantime, if you enjoyed this grow, please check out my second grow (link in sig). This is going to be a controlled experiment to test the effects of defoliation on autos. I picked Girl Scout Cookies for it's excellent reputation and reviews, and high THC content (22%).

:thanks:
:Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Why thank you LeDank :) I based it mainly off of the manifolding tutorial by Nebula Haze and just took it one step further to 16 tops instead of 8 per plant (can't post external links here but a quick Google search will turn it up). :cheer:

I really found her website useful overall because each tutorial is easy to follow and includes plenty of pictures and evidence. I also appreciated the "data driven" approach to topics like: choosing a light (LED vs HID), choosing a grow medium (soil vs hydro), different training techniques (LST vs supercropping vs defoliation vs manifolding...etc). Basically I just picked the option from each category that (based on the sum of my research from hers and other sites) produces the highest yield:

Hydro over soil
HID over LED's (the Perfect Sun might change my mind on this one)
High yielding strain over lower yielding strain
Manifolding over FIM'ing/topping
Defoliation over "bushy" growth of fan leaves

All of those methods support that which I believe to be the key to indoor growing: Maximize the number and size of main colas for your given grow light. Yay for big dense buds! Basically this first grow was me trying to create a Sea of Green, but without needing a felony-level plant count to do it. :thumb:

Why thank you LeDank :) I based it mainly off of the manifolding tutorial by Nebula Haze and just took it one step further to 16 tops instead of 8 per plant (can't post external links here but a quick Google search will turn it up). :cheer:

I really found her website useful overall because each tutorial is easy to follow and includes plenty of pictures and evidence. I also appreciated the "data driven" approach to topics like: choosing a light (LED vs HID), choosing a grow medium (soil vs hydro), different training techniques (LST vs supercropping vs defoliation vs manifolding...etc). Basically I just picked the option from each category that (based on the sum of my research from hers and other sites) produces the highest yield:

Hydro over soil
HID over LED's (the Perfect Sun might change my mind on this one)
High yielding strain over lower yielding strain
Manifolding over FIM'ing/topping
Defoliation over "bushy" growth of fan leaves

All of those methods support that which I believe to be the key to indoor growing: Maximize the number and size of main colas for your given grow light. Yay for big dense buds! Basically this first grow was me trying to create a Sea of Green, but without needing a felony-level plant count to do it. :thumb:

I found it. Easy to read and understand. Lots of pics. Great stuff!! Thank you Frizz

Alright folks so here is my first smoke report! Each individual bud still smells slightly grassy so they still have a couple more weeks to fully cure, but I figured I could take some data now and then again in two weeks to see the improvement :)

I removed a chunk from the bottom of this bud from Frosty to smoke (hence why the stem is exposed) and tbh I like this look, it reminds me of a bone-in frenched ribeye steak, mmmm :drool:

Mild_defol_and_Frosty_pics_006.jpg

Mild_defol_and_Frosty_pics_007.jpg

S20161214_0002.jpg

Smell: 8.5/10, (Whole jar) Citrus/lemon, hints of blueberry, and a delightful cheesy undertone emanate when I open the jar. At first the single bud did not have much smell but when I broke off a piece and crumbled it into my bubbler, all of the above mentioned smells came out in full force! Very nice! Should continue to improve over the next two weeks :cheer:

Taste: 8/10, Mild sweetness on exhale, one particular hit really legitimately tasted like blueberries! The others were relatively mild. Again, the taste should continue to improve as the buds finish curing.

Smoothness: 7.5/10, the first hit or two were a bit harsh, which makes sense, there is still plenty of chlorophyll to break down. After the first couple hits it was quite smooth though, and I was able to take big hits with no coughing or irritation.

Burning quality: 10/10, I only had to light the bowl once and it stayed cherried for the whole 10 minutes! I believe this is a combination of dense bud and also the Silica that I used to supplement the plants. Silica strengthens the cell walls and allows the flame to pass more easily through the bud and stay lit. The top shelf buds from our local retailer only stay lit for a short amount of time and I have to keep re-lighting, so this was a pleasant surprise!

Effects: 9/10, Pleasant euphoria, an overall sense of happiness and well being starting from my chest and head and then radiating in waves throughout my body. I noticed tingling in my legs and feet and also felt a head buzz equivalent to maybe 2 decent beers. The effects lasted for approximately 1.5-2 hours. It definitely did not knock me out, but I was still able to fall asleep easily. I woke up this morning feeling extremely refreshed and rejuvinated :)

Total score: 43/50
Average score: 8.6/10

I will take a sample from the same bud in 2 weeks to compare the effects of additional curing time! Also, over the next few days I want to repeat this process with a bud from each of the other 3 plants to see the similarities and differences, so stay tuned!

:thanks:
:Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Thank you for the report. Given the size of your jars I would recommend to get some small ones, put bud for use in there, that way you will be opening the big jar only to refill the smaller one, thus maintaining the dank humidity in the big ones. More wet buds will burn longer. Cheers man! :love: :Namaste:

Thank you for the report. Given the size of your jars I would recommend to get some small ones, put bud for use in there, that way you will be opening the big jar only to refill the smaller one, thus maintaining the dank humidity in the big ones. More wet buds will burn longer. Cheers man! :love: :Namaste:

Great idea! :thanks: I will put them in the 1 oz jar I got from the store which had some nice Jack Herer in it and is airtight. Also, I ordered a 6 pack of Bovida Humidipaks to keep the humidity in the jars at 62%. Right now it is between 60 and 62 for all 5 jars so if I can keep it in this range that will be optimal for long term storage.

Oh also, I re-weighed everything since they lost some moisture over the last couple weeks as I have been burping the jars. The official final yield is 31 oz, not 34. But hey, I'll take it! :)

Thank you so much for the smoke report and final yield!!! I guess this means you're wonderful journal is now complete!? Are you going to be starting a new one for us to follow!?!?!?!?

Im with you on this one Monsignor!!! She knows her stuff and her first grow, Wow!! Im doing a selective harvest with my tent starting today. In fact, now! Gots to go, great day to all!

Thank you so much for the smoke report and final yield!!! I guess this means you're wonderful journal is now complete!? Are you going to be starting a new one for us to follow!?!?!?!?

Im with you on this one Monsignor!!! She knows her stuff and her first grow, Wow!! Im doing a selective harvest with my tent starting today. In fact, now! Gots to go, great day to all!

Why thank you very much gentlemen! :circle-of-love: And yes Monsignor, my second grow is started and linked in my sig, I am running a side-by-side to test the effects of defoliation on autoflowering plants :)

Back
Top Bottom