First grow - First post

cannabin0id

420 Member
Hey guys,

My name's Conor, and I'm an aspiring grower.

I started smoking late into my teens and never really knew anything about strains or their different effects. I'd burn with my friends when we'd go out, get the giggles, the munchies and then I'd sleep like a champ.

When I was 20 I was in a head-on collision with a city bus, died three times on the scene and spent the following eight days in a coma. Broken bones from head to toe, but I recovered really quick and got back to life as I thought I should. Initially I was advised that smoking weed would probably be a bad idea, so I refrained. Then a buddy moved here from BC and brought with him some BC bud and it was like bumping into a long-lost love...

I started picking up quarter ounces pretty regularly and getting high with friends and coworkers, but after a while I realized it was more than recreation for me. My aches and pains, the anxiety, the general tension I was repressing; it all seemed to feel better. I'm less miserable while I'm high... this isn't just for fun anymore, this is medicine. For a while I was loving Blueberry and Jack Herer, the Blueberry almost made me feel spoiled it was so good! On occasion I'd have access to White Widow and Northern Lights, then I got a new coworker who also dabbled in the combustibles and he had new treats every other month; Girl Scout Cookies, Lemon Jack, Afghani Kush to name a few. Somewhere along the way, for one reason or another, access was lost. Now the pot I was getting was hit-or-miss, and I had gotten used to the hits.

In August of 2017 I was diagnosed with PTSD, something that probably should have been diagnosed earlier. To make a long story short; I started to consider cannabis as somewhat of an answer to a few of my problems, personal and professional. Considering that we're around the corner from legalization here in Canada and that marijuana has been so personally helpful, I think cannabis cultivation would seriously help me while helping me to help others. So I started soaking up as much information as I could. Reading and watching videos about my favourite strains and reading about strains I've never had access to. This all really piqued my interest, I'm fascinated! I started reading about strains that might be more personally beneficial and then how I could find some. And then in my research and such...

Mail Order Marijuana?! And the world wide web gives me access to any number of them?! Fuck, I need to get with the times!

And maybe I finally have, because I just bought my first seeds from CropKing Seeds. Five White Widow feminized seeds showed up in the mail yesterday and they're currently sitting in water at room temperature on the brink of germination. I really haven't gone asking advice from my pot buddies, because their only advice is "clones, seeds, profits" and I'm looking to cultivate my perfect herb not sell it. So I'm starting with White Widow as a lot of what I've read has suggested that it's a great strain for beginner growers and that if I put in the right time and care I can have pretty hefty yields (which should be true for most strains, right?). I've probably watched a thousand videos on YouTube from closet grows to massive grow ops and a lot in between, and I'd like to soak in as much info as possible, but I don't think there's a much better teacher than giving it the ol' college try!

Small grow tent kit, complete with light, fans and filter, a soil medium (organic?) and proper nutrients is where I'm open to suggestions. I have a little time before these seeds become seedlings and need a more suitable environment, but they'll have a fine home without the full, proper setup for the time being.

I'm really excited to finally have a try at my green thumb, and hopefully I'll be part of these 420 forums for many, many grows to follow!

Hey man! Welcome! It seems like you got the resources unlike me who's in a tight budget. What i can say is just make a journal and you'll definitely get all the help you need starting from what lights, how big your grow box needs to be what nutes would be best, how to do this and that up to how far the lights should be and the set up you'll need.

We do have a great community and im just a newbie grower here btw but im loving it here.

I never growed anything before but now, here i am!!
5fbb4c2b74c02acca0d96fa735e0cd80.jpg

Welcome cannabin0id :welcome:

Congrats on starting your first grow. I am there as well but a little further along (6th wk flower). If I can do it, anybody can.

Hang out in our Grow Room, the FAQ is a great place to ask questions & you can start a journal for fun & entertainment.

Thanks for joining.

Ian

Hey man! Welcome! It seems like you got the resources unlike me who's in a tight budget. What i can say is just make a journal and you'll definitely get all the help you need starting from what lights, how big your grow box needs to be what nutes would be best, how to do this and that up to how far the lights should be and the set up you'll need.

We do have a great community and im just a newbie grower here btw but im loving it here.

I never growed anything before but now, here i am!!
5fbb4c2b74c02acca0d96fa735e0cd80.jpg
How long did it take for the plant to come up? I planted mine last week in soil and seems like eternity. I've got a 45 watt grow lamp over them.

:welcome:

My first grow was also WW from CKS. It worked fine, but I have since moved into the wonderful world of @SeedsMan (a 420 sponsor). They have hundreds of strains and make it easy to navigate the specific attributes of each. It seems you are searching for "the one" (or maybe 2,3,or 4?!) strain that works for you. That will take time but you'll get there.

I grow in soil because it is easy and I am lazy! If you get a solid bag soil, that will work fine. You can even get a few (organic) grow/bloom ferts online for a good price. I started growing in a greenhouse (GH) but also wanted a winter project so I ended up getting a set of lights as well. Asking for suggestions on "lighting" here is massively overwhelming...everybody has an opinion, is an expert, and ultimately there are 50 people all giving you different advice. I went straight to a source who I trusted to give me a straight answer... @SweetSue (whose threads I highly recommend, especially given your situation). She has many lights and said she always ended up in the @TimberGrowLights tent. Def not the cheapest, but they offer many excellent light options. If you are looking for this to be a longer term part of your life, invest in something that works well. If growing ain't your thang, then you can sell them in a hot minute. The rest is just details...

Do you have to grow stealth? That will drive your tent/exhaust decisions. Once I got my lights I built an 2x4' insulated box and started growing...easy peasy. Make lots of mistakes...it's the best way to learn. I killed 2x plants this week, but lessons learned...:).

Start a journal and allow people to interact...you will get tons of valuable feedback.

Glad you made it here. There is so much to learn, and hopefully others will be learning from you in the not too distant future.

:goodluck:

How long did it take for the plant to come up? I planted mine last week in soil and seems like eternity. I've got a 45 watt grow lamp over them.

I stumbled on your question so I will chime in. Normally, you should start your own thread and ask the question...you'll get much better feedback that way.

Germinating seeds in soil don't care about the light, they care about the temperature of the soil. If the bulb is warming the soil, great. Ideal temps should be 75-85F.

The soil should be moist, and when the seeds pop (and they will) spray them with water...don't overwater in the pot.

Gently spray 2-3 times a day, lightly water every 3-4 days, and 2 weeks the seedlings will be strong enough to handle water in the pot.

I stumbled on your question so I will chime in. Normally, you should start your own thread and ask the question...you'll get much better feedback that way.

Germinating seeds in soil don't care about the light, they care about the temperature of the soil. If the bulb is warming the soil, great. Ideal temps should be 75-85F.

The soil should be moist, and when the seeds pop (and they will) spray them with water...don't overwater in the pot.

Gently spray 2-3 times a day, lightly water every 3-4 days, and 2 weeks the seedlings will be strong enough to handle water in the pot.
They came up today!!! One came out with 2 tiny leaves the other looks like a stem.

One of them is brown looking though. They are supposed to be White Widow. I'm hoping they are.
Let them open up on their own speed...they'll have little green leaves...the only thing "white" about widow strain is their (supposed) flower frost in the last weeks. Don't (I repeat) don't overwater.

Start a journal. Tell people how you are growing. Include pics. You'll learn a lot that way.

Welcome @cannabin0id !
Can't wait to see them babies grow.

If your ever having trouble getting answers on here, your always welcome to drop your question in my thread too
Temple Of Bloom
I may not know the answer, but some of the other growers following along in there are like encyclopedia's.

Anyhow... best of luck. Green Days!
:passitleft:
-P

Welcome man, I was right where u are 73 days ago, and growing WW for my PTSD, Bipolar2 and my wife's Multiple Screosius pain, we both have benefited from cannabis so much and it's nice to be able to grow your own medicine, no damn insurance companies or high cost!
There's tons of really great growers in here that really know there shit and will help gladly.
I help with what Ive learned in this short time, just ask and I'll try to follow along when u get a journal going.
Best of luck.:peace::cool:

Well I ended up with 2 plants out of 5 seeds so far but I'm not complaining. I'm glad to have the 2 plants. I'd have had to pay a lot more for what they will produce then if I hadn't had any so I'm thankful. I've still got 2 seeds in a sealed jar sitting in a dark area like the directions said. I'm probably going to try them later. I've got a nice grow tent 60 inches tall, a good lamp, and I spray my plant bout every 6 hours. It's growing like crazy! If I knew how to get a pic on here from my phone I'd show you. Everything the directions said was right. I had 3 seeds that never opened up after 2 weeks. I planted them in dirt hoping but it wasn't meant to be lol. I want to thank ya'll for the advice, it worked!

Welcome man, I was right where u are 73 days ago, and growing WW for my PTSD, Bipolar2 and my wife's Multiple Screosius pain, we both have benefited from cannabis so much and it's nice to be able to grow your own medicine, no damn insurance companies or high cost!
There's tons of really great growers in here that really know there shit and will help gladly.
I help with what Ive learned in this short time, just ask and I'll try to follow along when u get a journal going.
Best of luck.:peace::cool:
I just got a 600 watt light. Looking forward to using it. I'm going to burn it 12 hours and my 45 watt 12 hours each day to cut down on the elec bill.

Back
Top Bottom