First Grow - Mars Hydro LEDs - 6 Different Strains - General Hydroponics

Cornbred

420 Member
Hello everyone! At first I didn't want to do a grow journal, but I have more free time than I expected so here it goes. First ever grow, started from clones.

I just started week 2 of flower so here's the whole catching up part.

I am currently growing...
1x Tora Bora
1x Purple Kush
1x Holy Grail
1x Cannatonic
2x Gorilla Glue #4
2x Blueberry Headband

I'm using 3x Mars Hydro Reflector 96's for lights and that's it for lights.
20160819_192327.jpg

This is an older pic, and since then the carpet has been removed.

The nute's I'm using are General Hydroponics and I PH the water to about 5.9 everytime. I use nute's for one feeding, then PH'd water for the next one and so on.
20161123_110524.jpg

The grow room is in my basement and I partitioned off part of it, framing an area in 2x4's and covering it with black and white plastic. There is a dehumidifier in there that's set at %50-55.

Started out with 4 clone's, 1 each of the Tora Bora, Purple Kush, Cannatonic and Holy Grail.
20161019_141727.jpg

About a week later, a friend gave me the other clones of Blueberry Headband and Gorilla Glue that were still in rockwool, so I had to wait for those to take root. I didn't want to get too far behind from my other strains, so I transplanted the GG#4 a little bit early and it grew funky for a few weeks sprouting only like one or two leaves here and there but now it's doing much better. Total time for veg for the first 4 was about 6 weeks and the last 4 were at 4 weeks.

I took clones about a week ago and they are doing just fine I think.
20161123_110602.jpg

I've topped all of the plants and did some fan leaf trimming at about 4 weeks. A week later I fimmed everything I could, and wish I did it earlier so I could trim more leaves off but I will remember that for the next grow. I also originally was setup to do a timer based feed, but had to get rid of that due to height restrictions. With the table I made for it, my lights were at about as high as they could go so there was no room for stretch. Speaking of lights, for the first 3-4 weeks I had my lights set at about 12" from the tops and I believe it slowed down the growth. They are pretty short plants at about a foot tall now, but the stalks are like tree trunks. Since then I now keep them at about 18-20" from the tops. I have a scrog set at 10" and a couple plants are really even filling it out good yet. Also another thing I will keep in mind for the next grow.

Everything has gone surprisingly smooth. I've had no real issues besides a couple plants growing too quick and getting slightly twisted leaves for a bit.

For now I will leave with a couple of pics from day 1 of week 2 of flowering.
20161123_081235.jpg

With the lights on.

20161122_192724.jpg

During the night cycle with a green light on.

Thanks for having a look. This will not be updated with every little thing I do, but I will update with anything major and of course with the final results. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will try and answer the best I can as I'm sure I left quite a bit out.

-Cornbred

Forgot to mention, they are in 3 gallon pots of coco/perlite mix. If you look at the next to last pic with the grow lights on, the strains are.... bottom left is purple kush, middle bottom left is tora bora, middle bottom right is gorilla glue, bottom right is blueberry headband, top left is holy grail, middle top left is cannatonic, middle top right is gorilla glue and top right is blueberry headband.

Halfway through week 2 of flowering. Later today is going to be a nute feed, but when I checked on my girls this morning I noticed that most of the plants are showing bud sites. How I've waited so long for this moment :) The cannatonic isn't showing yet, and it's still the shortest of the bunch. I thought it was going to be huge since the clone I got was shaped like a trident and had 3 main stalks but I'm still pretty happy with it. I don't think the strain is a huge yeilder anyways. The Tora Bora and Holy Grail have a ton of bud sites forming with the Blueberry Headband trailing behind. Was also hoping for more on the Purple Kush as well, but that initially was the runt of the bunch when I got the clones.

Here are a couple pics from this morning, before the feeding.

-Cornbred

Today starts week 3 of flowering and later today will be a straight ph'd water feed. The scrog is filled up pretty nicely and they all are stretching....but not as much as I expected. The Tora Bora and Cannatonic just started to stretch a little bit over last night as opposed to the Gorilla Glue (which I thought would just die off since it was rooted to early), that has shot up past everything else and is really healthy now. My mistake was that since I didn't expect it to do anything, I didn't top it and only fimmed it where on all the others I did both. So that's a huge uneven spot in the canopy. I also raised the lights about 3-4 more inches to see if they get a little more stretch over the next week or so. If I trimmed the plants up more in veg I wouldn't be too worried about the stretch but since they're so bushy I'm worried the lights won't penetrate beneath the sea of leaves to produce decent buds.

A few of the clones have started to root, a few are discoloring, and I think one or two will just flat out not make it. There was also what I believe to be mold on one of the clones. It was on one of the lower fan leafs which I guess should've been trimmed off in the first place so I did that and will be watching the others more closely now. I think I was just getting it too wet in there but we will see.

I tried to look it up but can't really find anything useful, but should I be worried about the lack of stretching as far as yield goes?

Here are a few updated pics from this morning.
20161130_061732.jpg

20161130_061744.jpg

20161130_062200.jpg

-Cornbred

Kind of a slow and boring day so I will upload a few more pics and hope for some replies, suggestions, etc... :p

Also a little backstory. I've always been fascinated with growing cannabis for some reason. Even way before I smoked, I was intrigued by it for some reason. Starting in February I decided I wanted to make some life changes. First off was kicking my cigarette habit of 1-2 packs a day for about 10 years. Next on the list I was fed up with taking prescription medication. I was on antidepressants and anti anxiety medicine for roughly 15 years and I had enough. I was tired of how it made me feel, how it affected my personal life and needed something different. So I got my MMMP card in July and it was a long process of setting up my room, doing research on how to grow and also research on strains. I've been using dispensaries and trying out different strains when I can and am happy to say that I have now been off my prescription medications for about 2 months now for the first time since I started taking them. I don't even smoke that much, but the little I do helps and it's an awesome feeling being able to grow my own medicine. So far I really love growing, and checking in on my plants when I get home from work everyday is something I look forward to.

End of boring part.... on to some more pics :p

These are my clones as of today. They were looking kind of damp so I decided to take off the dome and let them air out for a bit.
20161130_095954.jpg

Tried to divide this up the best I could to give a better idea on which strain is which.
20161130_095854.jpg

Purple Kush
20161130_095729.jpg

Tora Bora
20161130_095712.jpg

Holy Grail
20161130_095651.jpg

Gorilla Glue
20161130_095635.jpg

Didn't snap any of the Cannatonic or Blueberry Headband this time.

-Cornbred

Since my last update I had a stretch of bad luck. I said I was going to let the clones air out and when I did, 2 went limp within an hour or so. I put the dome back on and one stood back up, but the other did not make it. Oddly enough it was the Tora Bora, which leads me to my next issue.

The past couple nights I worked late so I didn't get home in time to check on everything thoroughly since the light timer was off by the time I got back. When I checked this morning, there was powdery mildew EVERYWHERE. It was on pretty much every leaf of the Tora Bora, some on the Purple Kush, and a nice bit on the Holy Grail as well. So I looked up what to do, and it said to get a wet paper towel and wipe off the leaves and then remove all the ones that have been hit. So that's what I started to do on the Tora Bora. Well since I skipped out on a lot of trimming in veg stage this turned out to be a ton of fan leaves. So I called my friend who is a grower and he basically yelled at me lol. Told me to stop immediately and I might be lucky to have not killed it. I showed him a pic of how much I cut off and he was pissed! He also told me to make a mixture of 60% milk and 40% water and spray the living crap out of everything. So that's what I did.

I was also worried about this being an ongoing problem so I cranked up my wall fan, my vent fan, and added another fan at the base of the plants. I know I'm not supposed to but I also trimmed out a little more of the other plants because they are so bushy that the leaves are all smushed together and nothing could penetrate beneath the canopy. If I end up killing them all, well you live and you learn but I don't want to keep dealing with mildew so I am trying to prevent it again, even if I end up killing them off or I guess a best case scenario, slowing down the flowering stage for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I would be devastated if I lost my first harvest but it's all a part of learning the way I see it.

Today was also the nute feeding day so I did that today as well. Definitely keeping a close eye on EVERYTHING for the next few days.

The clone that didn't make it
20161203_123855.jpg

This morning before the trim
20161203_065404.jpg

This afternoon after the trim
20161203_123803.jpg

Wish me luck everyone! Until next time....

-Cornbred

Thank you. I have a dehumidifier in the room and it's set to 50%, usually it's been mid 40's though. The only thing I can think of is when I watered them on Wednesday, I didn't suck out the runoff with the shop vac like I normally do. I figured the dehumidifier would work it's magic and make it all disappear. Other than that theory, I'm at a loss.

It could've been deep underneath everything where I wouldn't notice and just came to the surface as well. Next grow I'm definitely going to manicure a lot better. If everything looks ok in a couple days, I might even trim down the Blueberry Headbands and Holy Grail a little more. The Cannatonic needs it as well, but I don't think anything is going to make it produce more at this point. It's tiny and is actually propped up on a board to make it reach the scrog.

-Cornbred

Today starts week 4 of flowering and it's been a rough few days. First I got hit with the powdery mildew(which I have not gotten rid of completely yet) and then my wall mount fan fell off the wall and broke. I couldn't find any reasonably priced in my area so it was actually cheaper to next day order one off of Amazon. For $40, it really puts out a lot of air, way more than my other one did. Besides the mildew, everything is going well, and I'm already planning my next grow. I had 10 clones root and I moved them to cups while I wait and see if the last 5 spring roots. The one's in cups are under a 100w CFL as it's all I have still. With Christmas just around the corner I'm finding it hard to put money into a decent light for the time being. =/

First clones to be planted.
20161207_103043.jpg

Shot of the garden on week 4.
20161207_103305.jpg

Closer shot. I believe the Blueberry Headband and Gorilla Glue were in this shot.
20161207_160115.jpg

If anyone has some other tips on dealing with powdery mildew, I would love to hear some suggestions!

-Cornbred

Week 4 1/2 of flowering, later today is a nute feed. Not really much to update on so I will just throw some pics up of how the buds or forming on each plant. Later today I will plant the rest of the clones in coco making 15 total that rooted, and 1 that didn't. When I start my next grow I don't think Tora Bora or Cannatonic will make the cut, unless they really fatten up or they really work well for me in which case I just might toss one in a gallon pot or something. The Blueberry Headband is doing amazing and I really wish I took more than two clones of it. Anyways, here's the pics.

Holy Grail
20161210_071538.jpg

Cannatonic
20161210_071527.jpg

Blueberry Headband
20161210_071519.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4
20161210_071502.jpg

Tora Bora
20161210_071455.jpg

Purple Kush
20161210_071441.jpg

-Cornbred

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I really didn't run into anything lol. I just finished harvesting all 8 plants and I figured I would give a little update on the yields of them all. I trimmed all the big fan leaves and most of the smaller ones, sugar leaves remained on and they are still attached to the stem.

Tora Bora - 291 grams
Gorilla Glue - 318 grams from 2 plants
Purple Kush - 284 grams
Blueberry Headband - 401 grams from 2 plants
Cannatonic - 205 grams
Holy Grail - 363 grams

For a grand total of...... 1,862 grams or 65.68 ounces

I was most surprised by the Cannatonic, by the looks of it I though it would only give a few grams and I was really surprised when I cut it down and got a good look at it.

I will update one more time with the final results once everything dries and I trim down all the rest. At this point though I am very happy with my first grow!

20161231_154642.jpg

20161231_154605.jpg

-Cornbred

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom