First Time Grower - Ever!

P10101614.JPG

P10101623.JPG

Hi jayne!
I'm using the Carson MM-300. I got the scope in focus then held my iPhone to it and took my pics. It was a little work getting it lined up just right as this version doesn't have the adapter that lets you attach it to your phone.

:peacetwo: :Namaste:

Looking good for your first grow and your right it is a learning process . All I can say is this shit is fun !!

Looking good for your first grow and your right it is a learning process . All I can say is this shit is fun !!

Welcome NP!

Thanks! I know, I'm having a blast. I find myself everyday thinking about how to modify my setup for the next grow to make it better. I'm hooked on growing! :cheesygrinsmiley:

:welcome: :thanks: :Namaste:

Don't worry Synbad,

There will be more plants in the future and they will give you the amount of weed you're looking for.

Except for the improvised trimming, the plant has a very healthy detail which is great for a 1st time.

In the meantime try to take good care of that gal, she's practically defenseless without those precious energy reserves called leaves.

Don't worry Synbad,

There will be more plants in the future and they will give you the amount of weed you're looking for.

Except for the improvised trimming, the plant has a very healthy detail which is great for a 1st time.

In the meantime try to take good care of that gal, she's practically defenseless without those precious energy reserves called leaves.

Hi Vlad, thanks for coming to the party.

I have no plans of trimming here again, just going to make sure her nute levels and pH are good and ride it out til she's ready for harvest.

:welcome: :Namaste:

Welcome NP!

Thanks! I know, I'm having a blast. I find myself everyday thinking about how to modify my setup for the next grow to make it better. I'm hooked on growing! :cheesygrinsmiley:

:welcome: :thanks: :Namaste:

Your welcome synbad . Get used to always thinking about modifying your grow as it is what happens in the fun and exciting / addicting grow world :).

:bravo: she looks beautiful
I am on my first grow too. the hydro thing has been in my mind since I started reading about growing.
What's holding you back ?

Synbad, you're doing great for your first hydro grow! :goodjob:

I'm really digging your enthusiasm and excitement. It reminds me a lot of my first grow!

Don't let everyone scare you off of defoliation. You definitely did a heavy one, but in a couple of weeks, you won't be able to tell you did one at all. Usually, you defoliate after day 21 and day 45, so you can decide again at day 45! ;)

How high is your light above the plant?

There's a saying I've been repeating for a long time which is, "Don't grow trees with LED's" (and I'm an LED user!). They don't have the penetration power of an HPS (or, of course, the sun!) so those bottom buds likely won't get enough light to develop into much.

Also, having the light placed too far above the plant, especially with an LED, may also explain some of the stretching. Your plant looks incredibly healthy, but has some pretty wide spacing between nodes and I'm GUESSING it's because the light was too far above the canopy.

The defoliation will help indoors, but I also try only to remove the stuff that's blocking bud sites (I also trim all lower growth) and, if possible, I simply bend & tuck the leaves instead of removing them.

That being said, I've seen and done plenty of defoliations and, while yours was aggressive, I've seen worse! :welldone:

Synbad, you're doing great for your first hydro grow! :goodjob:

I'm really digging your enthusiasm and excitement. It reminds me a lot of my first grow!

Don't let everyone scare you off of defoliation. You definitely did a heavy one, but in a couple of weeks, you won't be able to tell you did one at all. Usually, you defoliate after day 21 and day 45, so you can decide again at day 45! ;)

How high is your light above the plant?

There's a saying I've been repeating for a long time which is, "Don't grow trees with LED's" (and I'm an LED user!). They don't have the penetration power of an HPS (or, of course, the sun!) so those bottom buds likely won't get enough light to develop into much.

Also, having the light placed too far above the plant, especially with an LED, may also explain some of the stretching. Your plant looks incredibly healthy, but has some pretty wide spacing between nodes and I'm GUESSING it's because the light was too far above the canopy.

The defoliation will help indoors, but I also try only to remove the stuff that's blocking bud sites (I also trim all lower growth) and, if possible, I simply bend & tuck the leaves instead of removing them.

That being said, I've seen and done plenty of defoliations and, while yours was aggressive, I've seen worse! :welldone:

Thanks Mr. K and welcome!!! :thanks: :welcome:

I think you're correct about the height of the light. In the beginning I had my light a lot closer to the plant, looking at my earlier pics you can see she's much more compact and bushy. Then I came across a video on YouTube, some growing guru was giving advice about growing and lights and LED lights. He seemed very negative towards LEDs, especially during flower, I think the video was done during the early days of LEDs, from what I've read they've gotten much better as of late. Anyways, as a result of watching that video I did raise my light. I had it around 12"-18" above the plant, I raised it to more like 24"-30" and had been keeping it there. When I put her in to 12/12 she really stretched. Right now the light is about 18"-20" above her. Should I put it closer?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. This has been an awesome experience so far and I'm patiently looking forward to the drying, curing and tasting of my first grow. I'll be spending some time reading through the threads in your signature as it looks like there's a wealth of information there.

:peacetwo::Namaste::blunt:

P10101614.JPG

P10101623.JPG

Hi jayne!
I'm using the Carson MM-300. I got the scope in focus then held my iPhone to it and took my pics. It was a little work getting it lined up just right as this version doesn't have the adapter that lets you attach it to your phone.

:peacetwo: :Namaste:

Thanks for posting this! I need to get one of the those and try to put it up to my phone as well..... Subbed to your grow :thumb:

With low powered led you need to keep the light as close as possible, and use reflective panels to turn back as much light to the plant... A scrog screen will give you the best yield.... My 185 watt led light grow only used a 1.5'x 2' screen.... I switched lights the last few weeks, but up to that point it was all led....
Check my led grow for how a scrog screen should work.... Scrog is all about keeping the plant pulled down until you tell it to stretch by switching to 12/12 ... When switched to 12/12, all parts of the plant stretch at about the same rate.. Except for a few that need to be pulled down again, all colas will be about the same height...

Back
Top Bottom