Green Crack Under Light Manipulation

If your wondering this is the kind of stuff I am reading.

The photosynthetic process occurs in chloroplasts, where the photosynthetic pigment chlorophyll captures the energy from sunlight and converts it into chemical energy. Because of the high absorption of chlorophyll in the top portion of the leaf, a light gradient is created from the leaf surface into the tissue inducing different light regimes. Under strong daylight illumination, the chloroplasts at the surface of the leaf are saturated, such that most of the light cannot be used for photosynthesis, but the chloroplasts in the depth of the leaf are light deprived.31, 32 In ficus plant leaves containing cystoliths, and in pecan leaves containing large calcium oxalate druses, the mineral deposits were proven to have a function in redistributing light into the leaf. Part of the light is scattered through the transparent mineral deposits in the bulk of the leaf, thus reaching the light deprived chloroplasts. This results in an increase in the yield of light utilization.3

In this study, we examine the optical functions of calcium oxalates and silica leaf minerals as an integrated system. Preserving the leaves as close to their natural state as possible, we use micro-computed tomography (microCT) to image the leaf soft tissue and the distribution mainly of calcium oxalates, without fixing the tissue or using other invasive methods.33-35 MicroCT however cannot distinguish silica and soft tissue unless the silica phytoliths are large and relatively thick. It was therefore necessary to develop a different tool for examining the distribution of silica in the leaf. We report here a method to infiltrate the intact leaf with the {2(4pyridyl)-5-[(4-(2-dimethylaminoethylaminocarbamoyl)methoxy]phenyl}oxazole (PDMPO) fluorophore to study in situ the 3D distribution of silica deposits with confocal microscopy. PDMPO is a fluorophore that electrostatically interacts with the silica surface.36 PDMPO was used to investigate silica deposition in diatoms and radiolaria,37-41 and in plants to visualize extracted silica bodies.42 By superimposing the microCT and confocal images, we create a 3D map of the whole leaf showing the distributions of calcium oxalates, silica, and the naturally fluorescing chlorophyll.

Welcome @LKABudMan to light manipulation 101.

This class only consist of required reading; extra credit is given with additional research. :rofl:
Thanks for the tag Tok. I will be following this closely. And a bit more reading...

This class only consist of required reading; extra credit is given with additional research.
Oh, goodie. I skimmed through the thread the other day, opening up the links you had mentioned. Hopefully I will find some time to read through those in the next few days.

I had heard of the longer lights on schedule. I cannot figure out the rationalization for the extra minutes of lights being on as in some of the original messages here at 420magazine and other web pages have mention 21 hours and 36 minutes or other extended lights on time which include minutes. Why not do the lights on in full hours?

Extra credit time. I did not see a mention of another thread that was going around just about 2 years ago.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/24-on-12-off-light-cycle.488627/

The schedule talked about in that thread is in full hours and no mention of using minutes. Checking the original poster's username he is still around so maybe finding out what his results were.

Thanks for stopping by @LKABudMan and @SmokingWings

I cannot tell you the rational behind the 36 minutes, I have just been play it by ear.
I tested the 21hours and 36 minutes of likes on with My Golden Tiger, and I found myself very surprised with the results.
Thou, 12 hours of darkness is required for flowering feminized seed, with the additional light on time seems to put the plant in a accelerated vegetative state.

I did this for 2 weeks and the plant at least double in size. Now, I have changes the Golden Tiger back to 12/12.

Thanks for the link also.
I am trying to find all the threads related to light manipulation put in one place too enlighten grows of all experience level that would like to try it.

I will be placing my Green Crack into flower in the next day or so, with 12/12 for first week and the set her up for the schedule. I will be placing her under the scrog net early so everyone can enjoy her expansion.

So @Tokin Roll if if spurs vegetative growth would this be more used for the beginning of flower? I plan on moving my 4 clones from my 32x32 to my 48x48 and filling a scrog net. Should I stay in veg until I fill the net, then flip and go to 12/21 for the first three weeks? Or put them in the 4x4, flip and go to 21/12 and fill the scrog net as they explode in growth?

BTW, the reason for the 21 hours and 36 minutes is math ;)

1440 Minutes/day
*7 days in the week
= 10,080 minutes/week
- 3600 (5 days x 12 hours x 60 minutes) darkness
= 6480 minutes of daylight per week
/5 days of daylight hours
= 21.6 hours/day
* 60 minutes/hour
= 1296, or 21 hours and 36 minutes per day

Happy Growing.

I cannot tell you the rational behind the 36 minutes, I have just been play it by ear.
I tested the 21hours and 36 minutes of likes on with My Golden Tiger, and I found myself very surprised with the results.
Thou, 12 hours of darkness is required for flowering feminized seed, with the additional light on time seems to put the plant in a accelerated vegetative state.
It has been a year or more since I read through the link I provided but if memory serves the light & dark cycle that was talked about would start when the grower switched over to flowering. Up until then the cycle was the usual 12 on & 12 off.

Okay, I will stretch my neck out; what question would you like answered on this subject?
I will see if I can answer them for you.

1. Is flowering staged long or shorter after light schedule?
To be answered at harvest.

2. Does the plant revert back to vegetative state?
I believe that once the flowering cycle has been established, and a minimum of 12 hours of darkness is kept; causes the plant to going into a hyper vegetative mode.
I now have everything in place to run this test on Green Crack. The reason I choose Green Crack is because I grew this strain for a couple years and know what to expect from her.

3. Are the buds bigger?
To be answered at harvest.

4. Can this cycle be used for the entire flowering period?
This is the path I will be taking and monitoring the results.

If you have question, I want to here them. Let's do this experiment right. All the images I take should support the idea or provided examples to show the results.

I will start working on my update and post a little later today.

Since, I cannot provide the link, here is a copy and paste.

The Effect of Darkness on Photosynthesis​

Daytime
During daylight hours, plants perform photosynthesis, storing energy that will help them reproduce and grow.

Nighttime​

Photosynthesis stops when the sun sets. During night hours, most plants switch from photosynthesis to the opposite process, respiration, in which carbon dioxide and water are produced rather than consumed.

When Does Respiration Occur in Plants?​

When does respiration occur in plants? It is a common misconception that photosynthesis occurs during the day and respiration only happens at night. In fact, respiration in plants occurs all the time – both day and night, as respiration in plants is like breathing in humans. And although parts of the process of photosynthesis require energy from the sun, other steps are light-independent. In other words, photosynthesis and respiration are not opposite processes in plants; even though the chemical equations for the two processes are opposite, this does not tell the whole story of the relationship between the two processes.

When Do Plants Respire?

Respiration is the process of burning sugars to produce energy for living and growing. Plants respire, humans respire and all other forms of life on earth respire. The chemical equation for respiration is: glucose + oxygen = energy + carbon dioxide + water.
During respiration, plants convert the sugars produced by photosynthesis back to energy to fuel essential metabolic processes. They burn sugars in order to fuel cellular processes like repair and reproduction. Water and carbon dioxide are produced and released by plants as they respire, and sugars and oxygen are used.

Respiration occurs in the mitochondria of plant cells, and it is a process that does not require light. While energy from the sun fuels parts of the process of photosynthesis, the energy needed for respiration comes from sugars, which are the products of photosynthesis.
However, there is technically a distinction between respiration that occurs during the day and plant respiration that happens in the dark. Respiration that occurs at night is simply called respiration, while plant respiration that happens during the day is referred to as photorespiration.

Respiration Compared to Photosynthesis​

Both respiration and photosynthesis are essential processes for plants. Although glucose, one of the products of photosynthesis, is burned during respiration, these two processes are not exactly the reverse of one another. In fact, photosynthesis and respiration can and do happen at the same time in plants. Both life processes are necessary to support the basic metabolic functioning of plants.
Respiration happens in the mitochondria of plant cells, while photosynthesis occurs in the chloroplasts. Chloroplasts are organelles in plants that contain chlorophyll, a green pigment that is needed to convert sunlight into energy for the first step of photosynthesis. There are two main chemical reactions that occur during photosynthesis; the first part of the process requires light, and the second part, the Calvin cycle, is light-independent.
This is why it is false to say that photosynthesis only occurs during the day. Parts of the process can happen in the dark of night, fueled by energy that is stored in adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is a product of the light-dependent step of photosynthesis.

Why Plants Respire​

Just like humans breathe all night when they are sleeping, plants respire in the dark. Respiration, like photosynthesis, also produces adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is a molecule used for storing and transferring energy in all living cells. Needed for biochemical reactions, ATP provides the energy for cellular repair and reproduction, among other vital functions.
During respiration, plants release water through a process called transpiration. Plants exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen with the atmosphere through cellular structures called stomata. Located on the surfaces of leaves, stomata are like pores that are regulated by 'guard cells' to open and close when a plant needs to take in carbon dioxide or release oxygen or water.
Respiration, photosynthesis and transpiration are the three main processes involved in plant growth and development. Essential and interconnected, all three of these processes are concerned with the production or consumption of sugars and the conversion and exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen.

More information to come to support plant development.
Tok..

Quick question, maybe someone will know the answer. Can this light schedule be used to run both autos and photos in the same tent? I would think so as it would allow max light for the autos as well as allow the photos to continue in the flowering phase. Just curious, don't want to hijack the thread.

Thanks,

Can this light schedule be used to run both autos and photos in the same tent?
Thanks for stopping by @Randar
My understanding is that it has only been tried with success with photo; auto's are a different ball of wax.

Let me start my update while I am here.

First let me explain something. I am doing this experiment with a 100w LED. You may ask yourself why is he using a low wattage LED. Good question.
The reason behind using a low wattage light is so no can come back and say the results are base on me using a high power LED. This test is about manipulation of light; not how big the light is. Back to the update.

I only vegged her for three weeks so no one can say it is because of a long veg period. My ppm's are currently at around 800, I will be upping the bloom nutrients next solution change. I have been keeping my solution temperature around 18c or around 65 degrees. I placed her under the net early to let everyone see and evaluated my results. I would not suggest placing the net this early, it is just my situation dictated it. This experiment is taking place in my 2x4 veg tent, and vertical space is a limited.

One thing nice is you can get a better idea that I do before I place my net. Here are some images from the last week so.

My light will be coming of at 3:36 and I will start documenting growth progress photo's at least once a day. The date code is on the images.

Well I guess it's that time again.
I will update images regularly during the week and update progress at solution change.

So she is starting to react the the schedule change, and everyone will be able to tell by looking at the net.

The game is on, and she is starting to respond.

Stay safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..

As I mentioned in @West Hippie ‘s spot, you really need a way to measure par so you can know where your daily light integer(DLI) is. You can very easily put your plants into a situation where they’re being heavily stressed by too intense light for too long. your options would be to shorten the light hours, or lower the light intensity. With a par meter you can hone in the light intensity to where your DLI is at the absolute maximum for outdoor on earth.

Good Day All,

Today I am starting a grow journal with light manipulation. You ask what is light manipulation is, I will explain it better as we progress thought this grow. The Green Crack I am using for this experiment is a feminize seed I made a few years ago. I plan on showing you how to get the maximum potential from your LED. The light will be on for 21 hours and 36 minutes, followed by 12 hour of darkness.

Here is the basic light schedule I will be following for the whole grow.

Day 1 – Sunday, 6:00am til Monday, 3:36am
Day 2 – Monday, 3:36pm til Tuesday, 1:12pm
Day 3 – Wednesday, 1:12am til Wednesday, 10:48pm
Day 4 – Thursday, 10:48am til Friday 8:24am
Day 5 – Friday, 8:24pm til Saturday 6:00pm

I am currently getting everything setup; so it may be a couple days before I can provide update and images.

More to come soon.

Stay safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..
Howdy @Tokin Roll
Would you mind if I followed along on this one

Yes please
This is the thread I originally gave me the idea, too try it.

The more info I come across the more I will share.
Yes bro much info please

Holy sheep shot batman.
Headfu$$ at it's best,however very interesting read
This fuc#@$ weed is most amazing ..... I LOVE ITTTTTT
If your wondering this is the kind of stuff I am reading.

The photosynthetic process occurs in chloroplasts, where the photosynthetic pigment chlorophyll captures the energy from sunlight and converts it into chemical energy. Because of the high absorption of chlorophyll in the top portion of the leaf, a light gradient is created from the leaf surface into the tissue inducing different light regimes. Under strong daylight illumination, the chloroplasts at the surface of the leaf are saturated, such that most of the light cannot be used for photosynthesis, but the chloroplasts in the depth of the leaf are light deprived.31, 32 In ficus plant leaves containing cystoliths, and in pecan leaves containing large calcium oxalate druses, the mineral deposits were proven to have a function in redistributing light into the leaf. Part of the light is scattered through the transparent mineral deposits in the bulk of the leaf, thus reaching the light deprived chloroplasts. This results in an increase in the yield of light utilization.3

In this study, we examine the optical functions of calcium oxalates and silica leaf minerals as an integrated system. Preserving the leaves as close to their natural state as possible, we use micro-computed tomography (microCT) to image the leaf soft tissue and the distribution mainly of calcium oxalates, without fixing the tissue or using other invasive methods.33-35 MicroCT however cannot distinguish silica and soft tissue unless the silica phytoliths are large and relatively thick. It was therefore necessary to develop a different tool for examining the distribution of silica in the leaf. We report here a method to infiltrate the intact leaf with the {2(4pyridyl)-5-[(4-(2-dimethylaminoethylaminocarbamoyl)methoxy]phenyl}oxazole (PDMPO) fluorophore to study in situ the 3D distribution of silica deposits with confocal microscopy. PDMPO is a fluorophore that electrostatically interacts with the silica surface.36 PDMPO was used to investigate silica deposition in diatoms and radiolaria,37-41 and in plants to visualize extracted silica bodies.42 By superimposing the microCT and confocal images, we create a 3D map of the whole leaf showing the distributions of calcium oxalates, silica, and the naturally fluorescing chlorophyll

As I mentioned in @West Hippie ‘s spot, you really need a way to measure par so you can know where your daily light integer(DLI) is. You can very easily put your plants into a situation where they’re being heavily stressed by too intense light for too long. your options would be to shorten the light hours, or lower the light intensity. With a par meter you can hone in the light intensity to where your DLI is at the absolute maximum for outdoor on earth.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
I understand what you are saying, but I am kind of learning as I go. I currently do not own a DLI meter or PAR meter.
I just got to figure a way to get my wife to sign off on a couple hundred dollar meter. :rofl: Fixed income sucks.

I know this of of little help; but the manufacture of the led has a PPFD rating of 1520 moles/m2 and I could down load the chart if you like.

Back
Top Bottom