Grow 3 - 10 Recent Auto Strains - LEDs Mars Hydro II 1200 - Box 120x120/4x4

Might do the same thing. Really don't want to get cfl setups going.
Guess I'll see if I have much luck on my next go around.

Might do the same thing. Really don't want to get cfl setups going.
Guess I'll see if I have much luck on my next go around.

If I wanted to invest more, I would probably look into the T5 neons for seedlings (much more easy and logic to use for a larger surface like mine), but that's only because I am not yet experienced enough with the mars hydro - or even my other COB 400W in the other box - That purple PAR light is powerful indeed :)
CFL kick ass , but sucks at the same time (low coverage, unefficient power use etc).

There is a video on youtube where a mars 1200 user said he needed to put it very high at the begining to let the young plants grow... that vid saved my remaining plants :) It is easy to find (try to type mars hydro 1200 in youtube)

If I wanted to invest more, I would probably look into the T5 neons for seedlings (much more easy and logic to use for a larger surface like mine), but that's only because I am not yet experienced enough with the mars hydro - or even my other COB 400W in the other box - That purple PAR light is powerful indeed :)
CFL kick ass , but sucks at the same time (low coverage, unefficient power use etc).

There is a video on youtube where a mars 1200 user said he needed to put it very high at the begining to let the young plants grow... that vid saved my remaining plants :) It is easy to find (try to type mars hydro 1200 in youtube)

Yeahh. i might have to resetup my light in the tent, instead of using the yoyos, just connect them straight to the top of the tent, then use books/stands or whatever to raise my plants to the light as they need it..

The Blue dream auto in my tent is growing a lot better than the two girls I initially started in HPS, theta suffered some heat stress.

Might hang my light using yoyo's and s hooks as well. I have 1 yoyo for each side of 2 hangers, if that makes since, right now.
I'd have to get another piece of framing or something for the top of the tent..

I installed a desktop fan a few days ago. it is in "reverse" position (head at the bottom).
It has oscillation and several speeds. It is in a corner, and oscillates 90° , which is enough in that 4*4 box (i just don't know what i would do with a oscillation of 180°....)

It helps a lot for drying pots after watering, and will make the plants much more solid (stems will be thick in a couple of weeks).

I have read and seen videos and everyone says that oscillation of the fans is crucial to let the leaves stomatas breath, and this improve yield, quality etc.

0000-FAN-B.jpg

I installed a desktop fan a few days ago. it is in "reverse" position (head at the bottom).
It has oscillation and several speeds. It is in a corner, and oscillates 90° , which is enough in that 4*4 box (i just don't know what i would do with a oscillation of 180°....)

It helps a lot for drying pots after watering, and will make the plants much more solid (stems will be thick in a couple of weeks).

I have read and seen videos and everyone says that oscillation of the fans is crucial to let the leaves stomatas breath, and this improve yield, quality etc.

0000-FAN-B.jpg

I was actually going to recommend either doing exactly this or getting a tower fan like I have.
Good to know you're 1 step ahead. You'll love those chunky stems. Mine have blown up from it.!

Also, sorry if it's been mentioned, but do you not have any kind of carbon/extraction setup?

You are right: I think yoyos (or chains+S hooks) are better than using boxesunder the pots . The main reason is that - between two sessions - you will not have to stores whatever you use to put under the pots . And it is more precise than boxes or blocks under each pots, which after a while, is annoying to manage (you may have to move the plants a lot to access them, add more, remove etc etc). I've done that before, and yoyos or chains and hooks are easier to deal with and more precise to adjust to the exact height you want.

The additional frames: yes, I need to enquire if they are available separetly and at what price, I might need that in the near future.

Might hang my light using yoyo's and s hooks as well. I have 1 yoyo for each side of 2 hangers, if that makes since, right now.
I'd have to get another piece of framing or something for the top of the tent..

You are right: I think yoyos (or chains+S hooks) are better than using boxesunder the pots . The main reason is that - between two sessions - you will not have to stores whatever you use to put under the pots . And it is more precise than boxes or blocks under each pots, which after a while, is annoying to manage (you may have to move the plants a lot to access them, add more, remove etc etc). I've done that before, and yoyos or chains and hooks are easier to deal with and more precise to adjust to the exact height you want.

The additional frames: yes, I need to enquire if they are available separetly and at what price, I might need that in the near future.

I just ordered extra frame pieces through rogue hydro. just send their messaging team a direct message and they'll link you to the proper sizes!

I was actually going to recommend either doing exactly this or getting a tower fan like I have.
Good to know you're 1 step ahead. You'll love those chunky stems. Mine have blown up from it.!

Also, sorry if it's been mentioned, but do you not have any kind of carbon/extraction setup?

Carbon Filter: Not in that box yet... I am using one of those small clippable fans to extract warm air. Carbon filter will be next month probably. For a 4*4 box and 12 plants, it could be expensive (filter + extractor) . I do not know yet which one I'll buy. It will be one of the famous brands though (Can, Bull, Phresh....).

Tower fans: excellent idea, the shape factor is perfect to put in a corner of the box -but you may want to check if they are powerful enough (i got my hands on one last week, but gave it back to the friend because it was not powerful enough for a 4*4 box - did not throw air very far: it was a "silent" one, so *not* made to move big quantities of air).

I know a tower fan, by brand Rowenta, which has an aleatory algorythm that changes the speed in pre-set patterns; perfect to simulate the wind blowing at different speed..

Carbon Filter: Not in that box yet... I am using one of those small clippable fans for the moment. Carbon filter will be next month probably. For a 4*4 box and 12 plants, it could be expensive (filter + extractor) . I do not know yet which one I'll buy.

Tower fans: excellent idea, the shape factor is perfect to put in a corner of the box -but you may want to check if they are powerful enough (i got my hands on one last week, but gave it back to the friend because it was not powerful enough for a 4*4 box - did not throw air very far: it was a "silent" one, so *not* made to move big quantities of air).

I know a tower fan, by brand Rowenta, which has an aleatory algorythm that changes the speed in pre-set patterns; perfect to simulate the wind blowing at different speed..

Yeahh, I went with a pretty nice one that has 8 speed settings, so it was perfect for when they were really little, building up their stems into the monsters they are now.
Also have a clip fan in the corner of my tent pointed near the light to help move away any heat put off there.

Day 10
=====
So, I'm looking at those 10 days cuties ....
010-cuties.jpg

And I compare them to those 4 weeks monsters in the other box.... (difference of age between the two boxes = 21 days)....
010-monsters.jpg

And I really begin to be worried... :)

"Jungle" is a very weak word for what seems to be coming to me now :) I feel lucky that I had casualties that I replaced, but I reseeded them a bit too soon. ... now I know.

+ I was at a friend yesterday who grows feminized in the same plastic pots as mine (11 liters) under 400w HPS. and they are 4 feet high and beautiful... it's a 3*3 box but 3 or 4 plants overcrowd it.

So, in addition to everyone's warning at the begining of this journal, I now have real life examples :)

Possible Strategy if it really becomes unmanageable:
- First, it must be noted about the 4 pots in the small box , that the soil is Gold Label's Special mix ie like an "All Mix" (those plants do not get extra feeding, a few drops of root booster every now and then, that's all) - whereas the ones in the big room are light mixes (Gold label or biobizz). So this might explain the size of the 3 plants in the small box, especially the amnesia... but the Amnesia has "XXL" in the name so... well, we will know later - but those leaves are huge... it is the bottom leaves, they are still growing and pointing up as high as the plant's canopee ...
- I am glad to have that free space at the front of the 4*4 box, it can be helpful
- I will wait a bit and see how different strains grow.
- I may be able to move pots around between the two boxes

- But if it is really too much, then I will simply have remove a few pots (I have a few doubles) and reseed them immediately. I must still wait 2 or 3 weeks before doing that (on week 5 or 6, ie, when flowering really begin) , otherwise, if planted too soon, it will be useless.

other: I've added a wet towel dipped in a bowl full of water but for the moment it does not help much if I do not add the humidifier. As I can't use demineralized water (no storage, expensive...) then the humidifier is sending calcar/tartar a bit everywhere. the filter is dead. I now see a thin layer of white powder deposits on the Mars Hydro Led glass under the leds, inside the panel. So, if the towel trick does not work, I will have to remove that glass under the leds....either to clean it or to remove it for good (and this gave me a bad dream last night because some people took my led panel as i was cleaning it and i only had the PSU left :D .... It's those time when you wake up and see that all is normal and it makes you happy for the rest of the day ;-)

Next big purchase will be a reverse-osmosis thing, probably a "portable one" (ie, no need for a plumber). That will be good for me and the plants and the cooking. The nice ones (10 liters or more) are pretty expensive... (around 400 eurodollars... so it is not for today).

Wish me luck and fun ;-)

PS: by using larger pots than before (from 6/7 liters to 11 and 15) , I expected a + 20 / 25% growth/yield etc... it looks like it's gonna be +100 or +150 % , ie more than the double...... ouch ! and yeepee at the same time ;-)

That's too funny. I was looking at that picture, a page or two back, with the tiny fresh seedlings and like 1500 watts of lights right above. I was going to say that is probably going to fry some babies.:yummy: The Mars 1200 light is pretty awesome! I'm sorry you lost some babies, but glad you learned for next time.

They will shoot up once the roots catch. Don't push them to grow too fast:bitingnails: .
They're looking good for their age, good job so far!:high-five:

You are absolutely right Scop :)
When they sprout, during the first 2 weeks, finding the correct light intensity and spectrum is crucial. That's where I am not yet confident. (there will be the stretching phase too, it's going to be instructive :) )

That's too funny. I was looking at that picture, a page or two back, with the tiny fresh seedlings and like 1500 watts of lights right above. I was going to say that is probably going to fry some babies.:yummy: The Mars 1200 light is pretty awesome! I'm sorry you lost some babies, but glad you learned for next time.

They will shoot up once the roots catch. Don't push them to grow too fast:bitingnails: .
They're looking good for their age, good job so far!:high-five:

Looks very nice man :goodjob:
Yeah I'm here then not how did you find the shipping process with the mars? I'm gonna be ordering mine in a few weeks.

All looks really good mate!

Yeah I'm here then not how did you find the shipping process with the mars? I'm gonna be ordering mine in a few weeks.

I just received mine from them, it was 4 days or so. Brown box, nice packing. Would definitely recommend(obviously.)

it was perfect, less than a week delivery with private transporter.

Day 11
=====

All boxes are in full spectrum mode now. The mars hydro is at the exact max height recommended by the manufacturer ( 30", or 76cm).

- I moved the 3 big ones to the big tent : it automatically rises humidity by 5%.

- I also programmed the fan to work 1/4 h every 1/2 hours. Fans dry the air: switching them off rises humidity.

- I also made a couple of "parasols" or "mini-tents" to protect young seedling from the leds/uv/ir/full spectrum. The "roof" is a fabric that you use to protect outdoor plants during winter. if it is too thin, i can simply add another layer.

It is much better in all boxes now! I'm going "to parasol" the two other seedlings now :smokin:

011-optimizing001.jpg

parasol 1 (desert/beach tent style :) )
011-optimizing003.jpg

box 2 / Parasol 2 (Mad Max Style)
011-optimizing002.jpg

011-madmaxparasol.jpg

;-)

Back
Top Bottom