Grow 3 - 10 Recent Auto Strains - LEDs Mars Hydro II 1200 - Box 120x120/4x4

first of all thanks helpful information you shared..

i am also starting 1600w mars hydro and was also sceptical about the distance recommended..

I am not sure if i can find this winter coat so i like to know if you think 120 cm will be ok initially, even 1-2 days after sprout and support for an healhty grow without streching?

if everything goes flawless at the begining with higher distance, when is the right time to take it to 30" as its recommended by producer?

Hi Kjox, I think 120 cm is fine, and you don't need to start straight away with the full spectrum - if you are lucky enough to have a mars II with the grow/bloom switch. But even without the switch, it is not very important. I used the "grow mode only" less than a week :)

--- In any case, once they sprout, I would start at 120cm, may be even 130cm to be totally sure, and I would adapt from there. I think that the right distance, is when the leaves are pointing upward, like if they wanted to stretch to find this light.
--- You will quickly see, after one or two day , how it goes:
1// if the stem is growing too fast, it means that the light is too far. that would be, if the stem is 10cm after one day + 1 night. That's disproportionate and the light should be lowered a bit. I would do it 10cm by 10cm.
2// if the leaves are growing faster than the stem: this seems to be the right distance.
3// if the sprout does not grow at all, ie neither leaves nor stems: then the light is too close and should be put higher.

Wintering cover: I used it only because I had sprouts coming at the same time as plants that were 3 or 4 weeks older, and so the light distance was fine with the "adults" but not with the babies. If you are not doing this, then you do not need it. You just have to put the light higher. In any case, many things can replace that. I think a simple handkerchieve (paper tissue to blow one's nose) is fine if you remove the layers that you do not need. The only "problem" is that it will not stand water, but it is not important because you can replace it easily. May be toilet paper is fine too. I am sure there can be many solutions: women tights could be very fine.... whatever you have that can block a bit of light and let another bit pass through is fine.

I hope it helps.

if everything goes flawless at the begining with higher distance, when is the right time to take it to 30" as its recommended by producer?

Around 3rd weeks after germination. Here the leds are 65/70 cm from the top of the tallest ones which are around 5 weeks old now and which are 40/50cm high, and the younger ones which are 2 or 3 weeks-old are around 80/90cm max from the light (almost 1 foot further). I have removed the covers of the sprouts after 3 days - for one of them, I should have left it a couple of days longer when the second pair of leaves is out and the 3rd set is begining to show (girl scout cookie from fast bud, seems very sensitive to everything): I moved those ones at the edges of the box, far from the center of the light. Then, everyday, I move the light panel up by 1 or 2 centimeters, because i would like my plants to be slightly taller. In any case, all seems fine so far. It is not very difficult or technical, and I think that you have enough info to make your way through it. After all, it is the first time I use mars-hydro and did not know much about leds before that :) I just did what I thought could help with what I had at home, that's all, fortunately, it worked ;-)

My only way to find out is when I see the leaves pointing upward. For me, it means that it is the right distance: at least they are not getting too much "pressure" from the light that way.

Thank you all, I hope we will all like what we will see.

In the meantime, a very important information received from BioBizz themselves (makers of nutrients), and that immediately share with you:

Basically, there is not that much difference in the schedule when you grow Autoflowers with Biobizz products. The only thing you have to remember is that autoflowers do not like to much Nitrogen when they have not started flowering yet. So keep Bio-grow or Fish-mix dosages at 1ml per liter maximum. For all other products you can dosages as to plant requirement.

:)

I've been following the good old one from alchimia still. I've tried using the biobizz one and the fish mix is a great stuff but it takes a while to flush it out. Haven't tried the bio heaven yet maybe next time I go to the shop I'll grab a hydro try pack.
Awaiting new pics you're plants all look awesome man :goodjob:

DAY 37 / 20 / 11
============

Here are a few pictures. Cohabitation of 16 girls (10 strains) of different ages (37 days after germination for the ones pre-flowering, 20 or 11 days for the others). Day count is not exact, as I count day one after the last sprout of a group of seeds planted more or less the same day. It means that some of them are up to three days more than counted, but who gives a duck about that ? not me :)

NB: i move the plants around to optimize the space or to give more or less light to the ones that need it (according to my gut feelings). That's why they are not at the same place as on previous pictures. it is also quite practical to have two boxes...eventhough they are both full now.

NB: in case you discover this thread, they are all automatic strains.

4*4 box
The girl scout cookies (GSC) are really weak and slow. One of them might not make it (front-left) because the new leaves are deformed. I will see in a few days, but they should be like the Mandarine XL at the front, which is only a couple of days older. I may replace it by a "Bloody Skunk" for the fun of having a purple (but i don't like the sweet skunk which is part of that genetic) , or by a "Syrup" for the fun of a really great high and nice taste (like ginger and spices, not very weedy tatste, but great effect) and stone-hard buds . Or I will replace the GSC by nothing to make room, but I can also make room by using 2*6 liters pots on top of each other to have 10/12 liters on a 18*18cm area.... I will see in 5 days or so. Light is around 70 cm from the top of the AutoNightQueen which is the tallest.
Some plants have been topped, some other have not been touched, and a few have been not topped, but the 1st pair of 5 blades leaves have been removed, but top has been left untouched. I will see later if there is a difference in yield (weight).
020-All.jpg

2*2 box: much smaller, but the 400W cob is doing great too. I have to put it at a max of 40cm from the top of the plants, otherwise, they stretch. At the same time, stretching like that is not bad because it makes air and light for the lower branches.
I want to compare the results of topping compared to "doing nothing": so when I have two of the same strain, I tried to top only one and to leave the other one untouched. Sometimes, I did not top, just removed some leaves at an early stage (to avoid big leaves that block the light on the new branches). In that box, only the autocolorado cookie has been topped. It seems to have given it a bit of energy. It is still a weak strain in my opinion (white seeds.... unlucky on that one - like the Girl Scout cookie which is not doing very well: white seeds = too young seeds not very potent).
020-Box2.jpg

Now, a few close up of the bigger ones, day 37/38. They are in their 2nd week of "pre-flowering".
All of them have been slightly trimmed at the bottom to remove weak branches and buds that would not receive light, in the hope that they will concentrate their energy on the productive branches.

The auto Night Queen (Dutch Passion).

Not topped, but a 2 top fan leaves have been removed a couple of weeks ago. It clearly has the biggest buds and one potentially great cola, compared to the ones that have been topped (may be between 30 and 50% bigger).
020-NightQueen.jpg

The California Snow (fast buds)
It has been topped but the leaves under the topped bit have not been removed. No technic here, I just did not realize that they should have been removed :) Later, I removed 4 or 5 leaves at different places to bring light to a few buds.
020-CaliSnow.jpg

The Amnesia XXL (AutoDinafem)
Very sativa leaves (thin blades, lots of space between blades) . Has been completely untouched. Anyway, it does not need topping to have many buds at the same level. It screams "scrog me" but I have no room for that. The picture does not do it justice though. It's probably my favorite so far, despite the reputation of Amnesia that is long to grow (12/14 weeks or more) and low yield (sativa). But I have the impression that the yield of this Amnesia *XXL* will be as good as the others and will not be a problem.
020-AmnesiaXXL.jpg

I did not take individual pictures of the other strains. They are too young and look alike. But so far, I like the west coast og, the mexican airline, the blow mind, the cream mandarine XL, and i already know the Jack47 auto which is still doing very fine in this session.

That's all folks :)

cu l8r !

R I P both Girl Scout Cookie.
Very sensitive strain (water, light) may be due to lower quality seeds (white seeds = end of stocks from the breeder ? exhausted mother ? anyway, it doesn't work so well).

Replaced by:
1 Blow Mind (sweet seeds)
1 Bloody Skunk (sweet seeds)

Still growing 10 strains :)

R I P both Girl Scout Cookie.
Very sensitive strain (water, light) may be due to lower quality seeds (white seeds = end of stocks from the breeder ? exhausted mother ? anyway, it doesn't work so well).

Replaced by:
1 Blow Mind (sweet seeds)
1 Bloody Skunk (sweet seeds)

Still growing 10 strains :)

I almost picked this one in my last sweet seeds purchase, so I'll be watching yours closely. Thanks Spacef.

Day 43 to 45
==========
Celebrating life and smart tricks in a world of horror and dumb people (March 23 2016 - multiple terrorist attack in Belgium, EU).

1// How to make a 2*2 box slightly larger ?

I had those packaging from curtains, and they are 75cm long. I've put 2 of them in my 2*2 box, in order to get a few more space on the sides to let the growing monster breath better a few days more... You could even put another at the bottom.
On a 2*2 box (60*60cm), you can stretch the side up tp 75cm with 2 bars. More is possible (almost 80cm) but it becomes difficult to close the box. It is already nice to have a quasi 60*75cm box :)
000-boxbigger3.jpg

000-boxbigger2.jpg

2// Seed it faster with no additional "miracle product"
==================================

This is the best method for seedlings.
- Wet them in warm water for a couple of hours (warm = must not burn or be too hot on your hand, ie, don't cook seeds)
- Put them in the soil, 1cm deep, powder soil above them, then spray water, but not too much.
- Then, add the plastic bottle top. This is called "stewed germination" (literral translation from my language) and it works awesomely all the time, indoor or outdoor. It renders all those products that are supposed to accelerate germination totally useless. Especially with the Bloody Skunk which is very sensitive .
Stewed germination allow to keep moisture, which is essential in a warm and windy environment.
All seeds took exactly 3 days to germinate. That's the same or faster than with products like B.A.C "seed X" and the like. Moreover, I don't risk burning young roots. 0 additive or nuts were added at that stage.
The bottle on the Bloody Skunk was left open , because it is a strain sensitive to moist. The one of the Blow Mind was closed.

042-Bloody-Skunk001.jpg

3// Enhancing the main box
===================

I've taped the hydro-thrmometer to the mars hydro, and I've put stickers at various length: 60cm , 70cm, 80 cm. That way it is much easier to see what is the distance from the light. Also, I've moved the Mars Hydro off-center a bit, to have the 300W CFL better placed. I hope I will be able to get another led panel in a few weeks, otherwise, it will stay like this. MArs Hydro is at 75cm from canaoppee, and I think it is the best distance at this stage. No reason to put it higher or lower (I tried).

Picture at day 45. 1 plant was moved from the other box.
045-All02.jpg

DAY 45:
=========

The 60*60 box is really crowded. I've noticed on the pic that one may have begun pre-flowering....
045-Box2.jpg

Germination:
=========

Congratulation, it is a girl !! : )
Bloody Skunk, day 1. It is a super sensitive strain at the begining (soil can't be too wet or they fail). It is my 3rd attempt since I grows indoor. It is not the first time it germinates.... still a few days before feeling safe. It looks healthy though.
045-Bloody-Skunk001.jpg

Blow Mind Day 2: no comments :)
045-BlowMind02.jpg

another one for the road !
045-All01.jpg

Cul8r... :)

Looks real nice not sure how much them cfls will actually change anything tho. they will raise your electric bill for sure but i think most of the lumen from them will be lost at that distance Looks nice tho man and if it keeps the temps up more power to ya mine have been getting cold lately during lights out. This rainy windy weather lately is a killer.... Started a few for outdoors hope the weather gets nicer soon its nice and hot but this 100km/h wind is to much. :goodjob:

Stay safe man :Namaste:

The CFLs works fine for the plants just under them. They like it, they don't bend toward the leds and grow toward the CFL just asexpected. Also, they are closer than they look on the pic.
CFL is easier and safer for very young plants too. It's ok for the electrical bill if I can afford another led panel next month (not another mars 1200 of course, that would be oversized). But at the end, it would be more or less the same power use (well, may be 650/700 watt instead of 890 like now). And with 16 plants total, I think I can cope with a full session like that. After that, I am not growing for the next 5/6 month or so (june to october), so that's where it is acceptable. Or may be I will have a very bad surprise in a few weeks/month :)
But anyway, another led panel will not consume less than those 2 CFLs (250 dual + 300 bloom = around 340 real draw). I would take a led that is between 200 and 300W .... so all in all, it is more or less the same. The only way to save would be to not take another led panel when I can crop the first ones and need less space... but this may not happen because i will want to led the sides ;-)
CFL (or the other COB in the other box which is like 3W technology) are good to help them stretch more, while the mars hydro is good to grow them more compact and bushy.
We will see later how it goes and if i need to change something.
So far it is all good.

Temps: 26.5 ° C and around 30° when the fan is on (1/4th of the time). It's been hot for a month of February here. My Bilberries (outdoor) have been flowering since mid february and I think I will crop them in may/june, ie two month earlier than last year.... even my strawberries have begun to flower outdoor, meaning i will have the first fruits in 15 days. .... freaky :)

DAY 52
=====

Plants are moved from a box to the other, and space is optimized almost daily in the big box. You can't see the autocolorado cookie, it's a monster :)
Note 1: grow under COB 400W (wider plant, longer branches, more air and light at all plant levels), then bring under the Mars Hydro when no more space in the small box. Note2 : the UV on the COB seems more efficient at resin production (not enough UV on Mars Hydro?).
Mars Hydro: 60CM from top of the bigger plants and 80 / 90cm from lowest branches.

052-0001.jpg

052-0004.jpg

psychedelic colors for fun (red halo at the left = CFL 300W, overall pink = mars hydro, blue-ish at the right = 200W dual CFL, blue at the front: camera flash :) )
052-0002.jpg

Welcome to the Jungle ! :D
052-0003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom