I think I'm done with Smart Pots

I have zero problems with mold/fungus but I keep my pots suspended off the ground so the bottom hallways dries out

How do you get them suspended up? I just wandered Home Depot looking for ideas and all I can come up with is to use those plastic door mats that are about 1 inch think and have hexagonal holes. I'd cut them into circles to fit in the drainage trays.

Thanks for the help Jay233

How do you get them suspended up? I just wandered Home Depot looking for ideas and all I can come up with is to use those plastic door mats that are about 1 inch think and have hexagonal holes. I'd cut them into circles to fit in the drainage trays.

Thanks for the help Jay233

I put them in large net pots that are made for the fabric pots but other people use cooling racks for baked goods (cakes, brownies, etc.)

Here's what I use...the net pots still allow for air flow and keep the fabric pots about 3/4 inch off the ground...they are cheap too...about $3-5 US...the two pictured are 1 gal and 7 gal

If the fabric pots sit on the ground and the bottom doesn't dry the roots will grow out of the bottom of the fabric pots

image3920.jpg
image5144.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Calyx Hunter :Namaste:...if you have any trouble finding those large net pots shoot me a pm

I ended up going cheaper this grow and got 7 gallon Smart Pots with handles for free. The handles work really well to move the pots around. Next grow I'm going for smaller fabric pots with the Net Pots suggested by Jay233.

Hey Jay, What do you think abou the new Oxygen Pot Systems? It's like your setup with hydro.

I ended up going cheaper this grow and got 7 gallon Smart Pots with handles for free. The handles work really well to move the pots around. Next grow I'm going for smaller fabric pots with the Net Pots suggested by Jay233.

Hey Jay, What do you think abou the new Oxygen Pot Systems? It's like your setup with hydro.

Nice...free is always good :)...if 7 gal works for you keep using it the plants must need the room...I use 1 or 3 gal for veg and 5 or 7 gal for a final pot

It looks pretty good...I like how you can use a medium with it...want to see how LA likes it ....I just started a coco grow, come say hi when you have a chance, the link is in my Sig :)

Good green Caylx

Thanks for the idea of getting air to the bottom of pots. I use 5 and 7 gallon. 5 for flowering and 7 for mothers. I have drain plates on bottom but what you say about being wet on bottom makes sense. just like a plastic pot. I think I will make some hemp rope pot hangers.. Thanks again Happy Growing To All.

Hey guys great thread here!! I am currently using plastic Air-Pots and i LOVE them!!!! I can see how with the smart pots the way you use them you could have uneven drying. I am not saying you are doing things wrong, but by placing the smart pots into the net pots you are messing with the original design of the smart pot. I can see in the picture how it is folded and wrinkled, and even though they are small, the "nets" on the net pot are going to inhibit the full air flow you can get from you smart pot. I totally get why you use the nets, to keep them off the ground and to make them more stable, but it may be not allowing the smart pot to function fully. Just my high 2 cents ;)

I really think you would benefit from getting some Air-Pots, as they are already raised, and are plastic so that they are rigid. Although the one thing i do not like about my Air-Pots is that you can not bottom feed becasue the soil sits 3 inches off the ground :( but i work around it.

Great thread you guys!!!!!

You know I tried the Air-Pots and at first I thought I liked them more then the Root Builder pots, however through my experience I ended up liking Root Builder more.

I didn't like the fact that the Air-Pots had their air pruning holes sticking straight out, this made it difficult for the soil to get pushed into those slots thus leaving a small gap. The Root Builder is slanted downward to avoid this and make it much easier.

One idea for getting the smart pots off the surface for drainage is to use the cheap metal cake racks you can pick up at dollar stores and wally world. I use these and they are working out wonderfully. Just big enough to get the smart pots to sit on and not be in the way. They have little "feet" on them to keep them up and off the surface for air flow.

Racks1.jpg

What does everyone think about putting a few inches of hydroton clay pebbles in the bottom of the fabric pots? It seems like it'd help keep the bottom soil "airy" by allowing for even drainage.

HI Calyx Hunter,
I asked this question myself a while back and was told that it could be a problem for the roots, they could suffer dehydration issues and growth would slow on the plant.
I decided against doing it for that reason, it made sense to me that the roots gathered around in the hydroton pebbles might dry out.
I'll be interested to see if anyone who has done with success, or give thoughts on it from experience.
:thumb:

HI Calyx Hunter,
I asked this question myself a while back and was told that it could be a problem for the roots, they could suffer dehydration issues and growth would slow on the plant.
I decided against doing it for that reason, it made sense to me that the roots gathered around in the hydroton pebbles might dry out.
I'll be interested to see if anyone who has done with success, or give thoughts on it from experience.
:thumb:

HEY Canna...I used about 2 inches of perilite at the bottom of the fabric pots for "extra drainage" ...less root growth on the bottom of the pot is what I noticed

I have recently bought smart pots(7 gallon) and will be moving my plastic bucket grow into them. I like the cooling tray idea to keep them off the ground so water drains out the bottom and not just the sides. Anyone else have any tricks with smart pots? first time I am using them

I have recently bought smart pots(7 gallon) and will be moving my plastic bucket grow into them. I like the cooling tray idea to keep them off the ground so water drains out the bottom and not just the sides. Anyone else have any tricks with smart pots? first time I am using them

I have found watering very slowly works best for an even watering of the medium and minimizes the water running off the top and out the sides...also when transplanting from a smaller fabric pot to a larger one, I hold the base of the plants stem with one hand while I gently pull on the bottom edge of the pot in small gentle tugs working my way around until the pot is free

I have found watering very slowly works best for an even watering of the medium and minimizes the water running off the top and out the sides...also when transplanting from a smaller fabric pot to a larger one, I hold the base of the plants stem with one hand while I gently pull on the bottom edge of the pot in small gentle tugs working my way around until the pot is free

Yeah I am going to have a fun time getting them out of these 5 gallon buckets lol.

I've never experienced any issues with my smart pots. I generally always have roots grow through the bottom. The bottom never stays too wet unless you're over watering. The plant should absorb any runoff you have. (I water until theres a small amount of runoff). If you water slowly you shouldn't have much problem with the water leaking out the sides. And even if you do it should absorb this back up through the bottom.

I've never seen any mold or fungus. And I don't have any issues with it drying too fast. Or not fast enough. The soil you use will playback large roll in this as well as your plant/root size and temps and humidity.

I believe the point of a smart pot is to become "root bound" because once the roots grow outside then fabric the air prunes them. And makes them turn back around and go back into the dirt. Effectively making a stronger more robust root system.

I feel I get better results using smart pots as opposed to hard. I don't think I'll go back to hard pots unless I just need a pot and only have hard ones laying around

Back
Top Bottom