Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Have you tried Dutch Treat?

Not that I recall, but I do remember reading it had a very piney taste....

My craving comes from the mid 90s when a strain called Christmas Bud used to come around every winter, right around late October, November and December in the midwest. It was super sticky, a very light minty green with bright red hairs, extremely dense and smelled so strongly of pine, almost like pine sap or if you were to walk into a pine forest. I've asked in just about every weed forum on the net, many remember it exactly to my description, but nobody knows what it was other than "christmas buds" It was a true 1 hit wonder where a tiny one hitter bat would have you coughing forever, and 1 hit would be enough to get you completely baked, almost to the point where you would hear things that weren't there or think you saw something move out the the corner of your eye..

Still to date it was that 1 strain that I will never forget, and hopefully one of these days the secret comes out. There are a lot of people I have come across also looking for the same strain, and nobody knows what it is.

Not that I recall, but I do remember reading it had a very piney taste....

My craving comes from the mid 90s when a strain called Christmas Bud used to come around every winter, right around late October, November and December in the midwest. It was super sticky, a very light minty green with bright red hairs, extremely dense and smelled so strongly of pine, almost like pine sap or if you were to walk into a pine forest. I've asked in just about every weed forum on the net, many remember it exactly to my description, but nobody knows what it was other than "christmas buds" It was a true 1 hit wonder where a tiny one hitter bat would have you coughing forever, and 1 hit would be enough to get you completely baked, almost to the point where you would hear things that weren't there or think you saw something move out the the corner of your eye..

Still to date it was that 1 strain that I will never forget, and hopefully one of these days the secret comes out. There are a lot of people I have come across also looking for the same strain, and nobody knows what it is.

Well never been to the mid-west, but I know how that goes as far as the local strains. Use to just be Mexican landrace strains around here. They were never very resinous or anything but still got you really high, and the high was great. Psychedelic, euphoric, etc. Older growers around here complain that all the weed from California took over, it's all just OG Kush derivatives now.

Anyway Dutch Treat usually gets up there in the 27-30% range so if you want a piney strain it's not weak stuff at all either.

Well never been to the mid-west, but I know how that goes as far as the local strains. Use to just be Mexican landrace strains around here. They were never very resinous or anything but still got you really high, and the high was great. Psychedelic, euphoric, etc. Older growers around here complain that all the weed from California took over, it's all just OG Kush derivatives now.

Anyway Dutch Treat usually gets up there in the 27-30% range so if you want a piney strain it's not weak stuff at all either.

I will have to keep my eyes open for it for sure. Love Piney strains :)

I've asked about the Chrismas Bud on other forums, and I've had responses as far south as Florida and the Carolinas, as far north as Michigan, and some even along the eastern seaboard also remembering it, so it definitely was more of the eastern US. Whats interesting is everyone has the exact same description, a lot really crave it, and nobody knows where it came from or what it is. Some said it was a northern lights pheno, some say it was grown amongst christmas trees and shipped with them during the winter months, another lead lead me to believe it originated from Gainesville, FL called Gainsville green, but none of them have been more than speculations. LOL. One of these days I will figure it out...LOL

Thanks for the recommendation on the Dutch treat :)

Hey all!!!

Update time!!!

So today makes day 1 of flowering (well actually yesterday was) for the girls in my seed project tent. This also makes day 24 of flowering for my female turning male trainwreck that I have had in a separate tent and have been spraying with Colloidal Silver every day 1x for the past 24 days.

This round I am using approx 50ppm solution. I purchased 240ppm and dilluted it by 1/4 which brought it right around the 50-60ppm area although I did not verify it with a ppm meter. I have only been spraying the nodes and immediately surrounding leaves instead of like I did on the last 2 round where I sprayed the whole plant. I think the node spraying is better as the full leaf spraying really damaged leaves on previous runs so this definitely has helped the plant be healthier, although not in perfect shape due to a recent overwatering.

Well I finally there is a good cluster of male pollen sacks starting to pop through on the 3 branches I have been spraying, while the other 2 branches seem to be female still. I did spray one of the branches just 1 single time with CS just to see if it has any effect at all, so we will see but so far its still female.

Other than that I hope to see pollen in the next coming week or 2. I really wanted to get the pollen sacks fully developed before moving the other plants to 12/12 but I also have other plants rooting and needing space to grow in pots so had to slightly push things foward however the 2-3 week head start should hopefully provide many more mature seeds.

I also removed one of the White/full spectrum LEDs and replaced it with the blurple version, as my successful seed run was under the blurple light, and not the full spectrum, therefore I swapped out one just to promote extra red in the tent. I don't have any scientific proof that it would help but curiosity told me to try it so what the hay... :)

Well not much else to report on, so here are some photos :)

20170829_183837.jpg
20170829_183824.jpg
20170829_183730_HDR.jpg
20170829_183726_HDR.jpg
20170829_183718.jpg
20170829_183715.jpg
20170829_183705.jpg

Hey all!!!

Update time!!!

So today makes day 1 of flowering (well actually yesterday was) for the girls in my seed project tent. This also makes day 24 of flowering for my female turning male trainwreck that I have had in a separate tent and have been spraying with Colloidal Silver every day 1x for the past 24 days.

This round I am using approx 50ppm solution. I purchased 240ppm and dilluted it by 1/4 which brought it right around the 50-60ppm area although I did not verify it with a ppm meter. I have only been spraying the nodes and immediately surrounding leaves instead of like I did on the last 2 round where I sprayed the whole plant. I think the node spraying is better as the full leaf spraying really damaged leaves on previous runs so this definitely has helped the plant be healthier, although not in perfect shape due to a recent overwatering.

Well I finally there is a good cluster of male pollen sacks starting to pop through on the 3 branches I have been spraying, while the other 2 branches seem to be female still. I did spray one of the branches just 1 single time with CS just to see if it has any effect at all, so we will see but so far its still female.

Other than that I hope to see pollen in the next coming week or 2. I really wanted to get the pollen sacks fully developed before moving the other plants to 12/12 but I also have other plants rooting and needing space to grow in pots so had to slightly push things foward however the 2-3 week head start should hopefully provide many more mature seeds.

I also removed one of the White/full spectrum LEDs and replaced it with the blurple version, as my successful seed run was under the blurple light, and not the full spectrum, therefore I swapped out one just to promote extra red in the tent. I don't have any scientific proof that it would help but curiosity told me to try it so what the hay... :)

Well not much else to report on, so here are some photos :)

20170829_183837.jpg
20170829_183824.jpg
20170829_183730_HDR.jpg
20170829_183726_HDR.jpg
20170829_183718.jpg
20170829_183715.jpg
20170829_183705.jpg
I really Like the way u r doing this, i received my CS yesterday, And my auyoflowers Will probably start flowering in 1 week or less, since they are 22 days old from seed. I found your thread Very informative, thx for Sharing ALL your tries with us! I Hope It goes well this time!

I really Like the way u r doing this, i received my CS yesterday, And my auyoflowers Will probably start flowering in 1 week or less, since they are 22 days old from seed. I found your thread Very informative, thx for Sharing ALL your tries with us! I Hope It goes well this time!

Thanks for the compliments Got2Grow! I hope that it goes successful this time too. I'm thinking by starting earlier, spraying just the nodes and the plant being more mature than the past 2 runs it hopefully will work out well :)

We will know within the next few weeks for sure! :) Thanks for stopping by! Glad that you are starting a seed project as well.

Thanks for the compliments Got2Grow! I hope that it goes successful this time too. I'm thinking by starting earlier, spraying just the nodes and the plant being more mature than the past 2 runs it hopefully will work out well :)

We will know within the next few weeks for sure! :) Thanks for stopping by! Glad that you are starting a seed project as well.

I think plant maturity makes a big difference too. I think trying to grow them just like you would a female is important and what I'm gonna do the next time around. Also electro gypsy clued me in on a talk he had with a "plant scientist" (botanist? I dunno what you'd call them ) and apparently she said to keep spraying right up to when you see pollen sacks and to give them one or two more treatments at that point to keep them from reverting.

I ended up only getting a little bit of pollen and a few seeds out of my project and I think it's because I grew the reversal plants so small, flowered them at the same time, and also let them get so unhealthy. The pollen sacs, in terms of yield, should probably be thought of just like female buds. Treat them nice, feed the plant well, etc.

I'm sure that with the amount of pollen I got I can make quite a handful of seeds, and with these 5 seeds I can do a pretty good "open-pollination" crop.

IMG_20170819_183822-1.jpg

IMG_20170723_145004.jpg

I think plant maturity makes a big difference too. I think trying to grow them just like you would a female is important and what I'm gonna do the next time around. Also electro gypsy clued me in on a talk he had with a "plant scientist" (botanist? I dunno what you'd call them ) and apparently she said to keep spraying right up to when you see pollen sacks and to give them one or two more treatments at that point to keep them from reverting.

I ended up only getting a little bit of pollen and a few seeds out of my project and I think it's because I grew the reversal plants so small, flowered them at the same time, and also let them get so unhealthy. The pollen sacs, in terms of yield, should probably be thought of just like female buds. Treat them nice, feed the plant well, etc.

I'm sure that with the amount of pollen I got I can make quite a handful of seeds, and with these 5 seeds I can do a pretty good "open-pollination" crop.

IMG_20170819_183822-1.jpg

IMG_20170723_145004.jpg

I 420% agree with what you said, and I think that has been my same issue for the 2 unsuccessful runs as the plants were young, not in great health, and spraying I think I stopped too early. This run I'm constantly going to spray until I see the pollen sacks getting swollen and starting to look like opening. Hopefully that will change things around. I know on my last failed attempt, I used way too strong of CS and fried the crap out the plant, so the shock and stress probably also played a hand in it...

I do want to try in the future using STS, but just have to find time to look into it. It definitely would be easier having the confidence of spraying the plants 1 or 2 times total the whole cycle and getting pollen. :)

I'm super excited about the trainwreck crosses though:

tw110.JPG
tw24.JPG
tw32.JPG

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to drop a quick update on my seed project...

Today makes day 7 flowering for all of the female plants that I have going at this time, and I think that makes it around day 30 or so of the trainwreck (reversed) showing pollen sacks.

The Trainwreck I have been spraying every day since the flip to 12/12 with a 50-60ppm colloidal silver spray and the pollen sacks are definitely stacking well. None of the pollen sacks have open up yet, however it looks like within the next few days there may be some popping open which would be great to know whether there is pollen in them or not (a few failed/false/no pollen runs has me skeptical).

What is really cool on the reversed trainwreck is that only 2 branches I have been spraying with colloidal silver and they show full pollen sack formation, however on all the other branches that I have not sprayed, they are all female and starting to gain trichomes. Very interesting that you can just spray certain branches and the rest let alone. Good to know :)

Well I gave all the girls a earth juice tea feeding today as they were getting pretty thirsty. Not much else to report today so here are some photos :)

20170904_232634.jpg
20170904_232638.jpg
20170904_232700.jpg
20170904_232721.jpg
20170904_232740.jpg
20170904_232748.jpg
20170904_232758.jpg
20170904_232802.jpg
20170904_232807.jpg
20170904_232812.jpg
20170904_232818.jpg
20170904_232831.jpg
20170904_232841.jpg
20170904_233039.jpg
20170904_233051.jpg
20170904_233059.jpg
20170904_233111.jpg
20170904_233116.jpg

hoo boy...those are gonna pop and make you a TON of pollen!

Still waiting for the pollen to release.... I don't know if I sprayed CS too long into the pods or what but the first few that opened...nada...

I stopped all CS spraying about a week ago and going to see what happens... tons of pollen sacks but little to no pollen I can see... hoping not to have another run with no pollen. I gotta find my notes from my 1st successful seed project and see what I did differently.

Hey all, just wanted to share some photos of my very 1st seed project in action. This is my cherry float, and was grown by an Ex-420 mag member, in Docbud's soil under LEDs.

Here are some photos of his gardening skills, docs kit, and my genetics :)

IMG_20170418_141956_057.jpg
IMG_20170502_070951_891.jpg
IMG_20170502_071002_988.jpg
IMG_20170512_122437_498.jpg
IMG_20170521_092558_285.jpg
IMG_20170521_092601_082.jpg
IMG_20170531_072907_197_-_Copy.jpg
IMG_20170531_084845_537.jpg

Hey Icemud so have you started seeing pollen yet? Hoping you didn't get another sterile treatment.

Hey Fertilizer...

Well I ended up stopping all CS spraying a while back and let the trainwreck just keep aging and around mid-late flowering I started pulling the pollen sacks off, and forcefully opening them and twisting them in my fingers over the female plants. I now do see a few seeds developing on my harlequin, gorilla glue, mendo grape kush and ogiesel so it seems that I got a little bit of pollen out of the trainwreck pollen sacks, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

I believe I figured out the issue though is that I am spraying CS too late into the pollen sack development as my 1st successful run I only sprayed for the 1st 14 days and stopped, and the others I have been spraying all the way until pollen sacks develop which I think is what is causing the issues.

Therefore this grow wasn't a total waste, but didn't get nearly as many seeds as I was hoping for. I will be starting a new seed project as soon as this one is done, but I figured I would just let this one go as long as possible to see what develops from crushing the pollen sacks over the other plants.

Sorry I stopped updating, as I got frustrated that it was another not so successful attempt but I think next run I will do 3 or 4 plants spraying all of them in my 3rd tent with CS and then picking the one which shows best pollen formation. I think that way it will ensure I have a successful run :) I think I will be trying my GDP again, my ogiesel again, and private reserve og... but time will tell :)

Forgive me if you've answered this already but do you now believe you have a good handle on how to get successful feminized seeds? If so do you mind recapping it for us? Been following your journals for years now and I'd like to replicate your seed project this spring before I shut down for summer.

Hi Icemud. I just registered just so I could chime in on your project. I live in a place that has some pretty seriously draconian cannabis laws so I can' import seeds because I just don't trust the stealth options. A couple of years ago, i went to Europe, purchased a few strains of fem seeds and last fall, I attempted to use them to produce more seeds with the colloidal silver method. I did essentially what you outline. I used store bought 500ppm CS that I diluted to 50ppm. I vegged out and topped some plants. I started spraying nodes and growing tips on one of the two colas on each plant only the day before the flip and about 2 to 3 weeks in, all my plants started producing male flowers on the branches I sprayed. But as they matured, one produced more pollen than I could use but all the others produced no pollen at all. I tried it with Sex Bud, 2 phenos of Pure AK, Bubblegummer (all by Female Seeds), Cheese by Big Buddha, Kosher Kush by Reserva Privada, and Green Poison by Sweet Seeds. Only the AK, both phenos, produced pollen, which I used to pollinate everything. I had clones of everything so I tried again with the non AK strains and ended up with no pollen again.

This year, I planted all my AK crosses. I got a 75% germ rate and of those that germed, 100% (12/12) female. I've also planted a couple of other things and I am about to attempt the CS treatment again but your experience combined with mine makes me think I might be wasting my time. Have you looked into any other methods like silver thiosulfate or gibberellic acid?

Forgive me if you've answered this already but do you now believe you have a good handle on how to get successful feminized seeds? If so do you mind recapping it for us? Been following your journals for years now and I'd like to replicate your seed project this spring before I shut down for summer.

Hey Beleaf! Sorry for the long delay in my reply...

I wish I could honestly say that I have it down to a good process that guarantees success but I still haven't gotten it down yet. This last seed project was a fail too, well not a total fail because I did manage to get about 12-14 trainwreck x harlequin seeds, but no other plants produced any seeds that I have found yet... so unfortunately I still have to figure out where I went wrong.

I nailed my very first attempt and had hundreds of seeds as a result, but I haven't seemed to be able to replicate that success just yet. I have a feeling that it may be due to spraying too late into the pollen sacks developing but still have to test my theory.

My very first project I used 50ppm colloidal silver, sprayed the plant I was going to reverse for 15 days after flipping it to 12/12 and then stopped.

The pollen sacks developed and pollen formed around day 30 and then the rest was just a waiting game..that is pretty much the process that works for most, but somehow I can't get it to work again. I have read that some strains are harder to get pollen to form than others which could be true, but since cannabis research is still very minimal its really trial and error until we all collectively figure it out. Most have been having success using STS instead of CS but I don't want to deal with the STS as its much harsher to humans than CS and I don't want to deal with accidental spills and such.

Hi Icemud. I just registered just so I could chime in on your project. I live in a place that has some pretty seriously draconian cannabis laws so I can' import seeds because I just don't trust the stealth options. A couple of years ago, i went to Europe, purchased a few strains of fem seeds and last fall, I attempted to use them to produce more seeds with the colloidal silver method. I did essentially what you outline. I used store bought 500ppm CS that I diluted to 50ppm. I vegged out and topped some plants. I started spraying nodes and growing tips on one of the two colas on each plant only the day before the flip and about 2 to 3 weeks in, all my plants started producing male flowers on the branches I sprayed. But as they matured, one produced more pollen than I could use but all the others produced no pollen at all. I tried it with Sex Bud, 2 phenos of Pure AK, Bubblegummer (all by Female Seeds), Cheese by Big Buddha, Kosher Kush by Reserva Privada, and Green Poison by Sweet Seeds. Only the AK, both phenos, produced pollen, which I used to pollinate everything. I had clones of everything so I tried again with the non AK strains and ended up with no pollen again.

This year, I planted all my AK crosses. I got a 75% germ rate and of those that germed, 100% (12/12) female. I've also planted a couple of other things and I am about to attempt the CS treatment again but your experience combined with mine makes me think I might be wasting my time. Have you looked into any other methods like silver thiosulfate or gibberellic acid?

Well first off I feel your pain and agrivation of coming up unsuccessful on the attemps... I'm personally 1 for 4 on the attempts myself so right now only 25% of the time the CS has worked for me... but I'm not giving up :)

Here is a link to a thread here at 420 mag with a ton of people trying different methods... many use STS
Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With Doc Buds High Brix Blend Kit

I would suggest re asking your question in there as there are more people who can help answer it with probably better success rates than I have.

I have looked into STS and it seems to be the best stuff available to get male pollen, however why I don't use it is one of the 2 components you purchase to mix is not the nicest stuff to work with... and I live in a small apartment so for me its just to nasty of stuff to want to work with... however if you have a safe place to mix it... from what everyone tells me it works much better.

Hey all, just a quick update....

So my last seed project wasn't as successful as I would have liked, however, I did end up with some seeds :) hooray!

It wasn't much but I ended up with about 12-15 harlequin x trainwreck seeds, and about 5 trainwreck x tangie seeds :) none of the other plants showed any seeds unfortunately, but it wasn't a total loss either which is nice.

Anyhow over the long weekend I got all my plants moved over to the tent, cleaned the tent out completely and I am already starting my next round of seed projects. I have 2 plants in my 3rd tent, one gg#4 and one GDP. I will be spraying both with colloidal silver for the first 15 days, and then letting them do their thing in hopes to produce pollen. Whichever produces pollen and the most of it will be the one I use for the seed project. Hopefully its the GDP because its my favorite of all my strains and I really would love to preserve the genetics for future :)

Anyhow I will have some photos to show in coming days.... nothning really exciting right now to show though.

Cheers all.

Hey all, just a quick update....

So my last seed project wasn't as successful as I would have liked, however, I did end up with some seeds :) hooray!

It wasn't much but I ended up with about 12-15 harlequin x trainwreck seeds, and about 5 trainwreck x tangie seeds :) none of the other plants showed any seeds unfortunately, but it wasn't a total loss either which is nice.

Anyhow over the long weekend I got all my plants moved over to the tent, cleaned the tent out completely and I am already starting my next round of seed projects. I have 2 plants in my 3rd tent, one gg#4 and one GDP. I will be spraying both with colloidal silver for the first 15 days, and then letting them do their thing in hopes to produce pollen. Whichever produces pollen and the most of it will be the one I use for the seed project. Hopefully its the GDP because its my favorite of all my strains and I really would love to preserve the genetics for future :)

Anyhow I will have some photos to show in coming days.... nothning really exciting right now to show though.

Cheers all.

Good job man! That's not a terrible amount of seeds though, I only got 5 of my Blackberry Kush lol

I feel like all these people that are like, "OMG watch out for hermies they'll pollinate your whole grow!" need to come do some CS reversing for us so we can get more seeds :p

Back
Top Bottom