Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Good job man! That's not a terrible amount of seeds though, I only got 5 of my Blackberry Kush lol

I feel like all these people that are like, "OMG watch out for hermies they'll pollinate your whole grow!" need to come do some CS reversing for us so we can get more seeds :p

Not up on all this but this made me think to ask, If your plant does Self pollinate will the
seeds have a higher chance of producing hermies ? I ask because I had a bag seed
that produced over 300 seeds and all so far have had trouble with Hemies, I think I
found a way to suppress it but they do still got a few (less then 10)

Not up on all this but this made me think to ask, If your plant does Self pollinate will the
seeds have a higher chance of producing hermies ? I ask because I had a bag seed
that produced over 300 seeds and all so far have had trouble with Hemies, I think I

Wow that was way too long, I'll type something shorter in a bit...

Good job man! That's not a terrible amount of seeds though, I only got 5 of my Blackberry Kush lol

I feel like all these people that are like, "OMG watch out for hermies they'll pollinate your whole grow!" need to come do some CS reversing for us so we can get more seeds :p

Yea.. I'm happy to have something to show for the effort... unfortunately my 1st run was a complete success yielding hundreds of seeds per plant... so definitely one heck of an act to follow...LOL.. but definitely happy I got some seeds :) next try will hopefully be a success... I need it to be :) otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and get STS... and just mix it outdoors or something...

Hey Beleaf! Sorry for the long delay in my reply...

I wish I could honestly say that I have it down to a good process that guarantees success but I still haven't gotten it down yet. This last seed project was a fail too, well not a total fail because I did manage to get about 12-14 trainwreck x harlequin seeds, but no other plants produced any seeds that I have found yet... so unfortunately I still have to figure out where I went wrong.

I nailed my very first attempt and had hundreds of seeds as a result, but I haven't seemed to be able to replicate that success just yet. I have a feeling that it may be due to spraying too late into the pollen sacks developing but still have to test my theory.

My very first project I used 50ppm colloidal silver, sprayed the plant I was going to reverse for 15 days after flipping it to 12/12 and then stopped.

The pollen sacks developed and pollen formed around day 30 and then the rest was just a waiting game..that is pretty much the process that works for most, but somehow I can't get it to work again. I have read that some strains are harder to get pollen to form than others which could be true, but since cannabis research is still very minimal its really trial and error until we all collectively figure it out. Most have been having success using STS instead of CS but I don't want to deal with the STS as its much harsher to humans than CS and I don't want to deal with accidental spills and such.

Not sure if you've thought about this before to test your CS method but could you take say 2-4 clones of a strain you like and want to turn into a fella, grow them out a little so they're atleast all rooted and mature (not necessary big though) and then use different amounts of CS or spray over different lengths of time to see which works best? Spray one for 14 days and stop. Spray one for 14 days, put her into 12/12, spray another week and stop. I don't know exactly your technique or how long you plan on spraying for but if you had several clones of the exact same plant and used CS on them all in differing amounts/time it might be easier to hone in on what works. You'll either find that sweet spot regarding time and amount to spray or you'll just have more balls-out ladies to gather more pollen.

That's a great question, from my understanding they shouldn't be hermies if the plant self pollinated due to an extended flowering cycle (running your buds past harvest) however I don't know for sure...

the process we are doing with the chemical reverses with silver products also should not produce hermies as long as the original genetics are stable... as all feminized seeds sold on the market are made the same way.... therefore if there was a major issue with hermies, then the feminized seed market wouldn't exist on such a grand scale.

From my understanding the process of self fertilization should have no issues with hermies, unless the parent plants had instabilities and had hermie tendencies but again this is an area I haven't researched a whole lot so I'm just going off what I know and have read.

Not sure if you've thought about this before to test your CS method but could you take say 2-4 clones of a strain you like and want to turn into a fella, grow them out a little so they're atleast all rooted and mature (not necessary big though) and then use different amounts of CS or spray over different lengths of time to see which works best? Spray one for 14 days and stop. Spray one for 14 days, put her into 12/12, spray another week and stop. I don't know exactly your technique or how long you plan on spraying for but if you had several clones of the exact same plant and used CS on them all in differing amounts/time it might be easier to hone in on what works. You'll either find that sweet spot regarding time and amount to spray or you'll just have more balls-out ladies to gather more pollen.

I tried something on the last run with my trainwreck that was similar.... as it had 4 main stalks/tops. One of them I sprayed every day continuously through most of the flowering cycle, 1 of them I sprayed only up to seeing pollen sacks, 1 of them I Sprayed only 1x and 1 of the branches I sprayed only a handful of times... I didn't see a noticeable difference in the 2 that were sprayed to and after pollen sacks. I didn't see any pollen sacks develop on the branch I sprayed just 1x... and saw a mix of female/male plant parts on the branch I sprayed just a handful of times...

It definitely had some effect on the development, but since it was not a nice controlled study, I didn't really narrow down the process.

I will be reversing 2 strains this run, so hopefully one or the other will produce pollen so I can see a success. Great idea with the 4 clones though and may be worth a future trial if I don't see success on this one...

That's a great question, from my understanding they shouldn't be hermies if the plant self pollinated due to an extended flowering cycle (running your buds past harvest) however I don't know for sure...

the process we are doing with the chemical reverses with silver products also should not produce hermies as long as the original genetics are stable... as all feminized seeds sold on the market are made the same way.... therefore if there was a major issue with hermies, then the feminized seed market wouldn't exist on such a grand scale.

From my understanding the process of self fertilization should have no issues with hermies, unless the parent plants had instabilities and had hermie tendencies but again this is an area I haven't researched a whole lot so I'm just going off what I know and have read.

Thanks I appreciate your response, you know I never really thought
about this until I posted the question :) but now that I did I bet its
more than likely the original seed was from a true Hermaphrodite plant
which would stand to reason I keep getting Hemi plants from those
seeds. This also brings up the idea I can cross with just about anything
growing nearby but those again would result in a higher percentage of
hemi plants which I guess can be a good thing.

Thanks I appreciate your response, you know I never really thought
about this until I posted the question :) but now that I did I bet its
more than likely the original seed was from a true Hermaphrodite plant
which would stand to reason I keep getting Hemi plants from those
seeds. This also brings up the idea I can cross with just about anything
growing nearby but those again would result in a higher percentage of
hemi plants which I guess can be a good thing.

There's not so much true hermaphrodites, as much as some varieties can be inadvertently bred to have this trait in dominance. But all cannabis has a genetic ability to do this, otherwise none of these methods would work. It could be that the plant you got the seed from was bagseed from a plant that self pollinated, and that plant came from another bagseed, and so you ended up with generations that went hermie and it ends up being bred into the variety.

The best way to remove the trait would be to cross it out with a genetically stabilized line, especially one that is not widely known to go hermie. Basically a genetically stabilized strain means one of your long-running strains that's not some new F1 hybrid, so that's not as easy to find as you'd think. But if you crossed it with say Blueberry, that would help breed out the hermaphroditic tendency.

Fingers crossed for pollen this run ice. I just completed an auto seed run that I started spraying cs 2 weeks before they started flowering. The 2 branches I sprayed did produce sacs that for the first week of sacs opening daily had no pollen. Then they started opening and drooping lots of pollen. This has been my experience every time I do a seed run. No idea why mine always start with no pollen.

Fingers crossed for pollen this run ice. I just completed an auto seed run that I started spraying cs 2 weeks before they started flowering. The 2 branches I sprayed did produce sacs that for the first week of sacs opening daily had no pollen. Then they started opening and drooping lots of pollen. This has been my experience every time I do a seed run. No idea why mine always start with no pollen.

What was your CS ppm? If you started spraying autos 2 weeks before flowering how many weeks into veg is that? Or do you know your strains/grow well enough to know roughly how long they'll veg for before flower? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I was never much interested in autos before but since I discovered the Dark Devil Auto I'm wanting to learn how to grow autos just for that one strain.

Hey Kindrin!

Great to hear that you have had some successful CS runs :) I am excited about this round and only will be spraying for the first 2 weeks also, so hopefully that will cure my issue I've been having. Also I am doing 2 different strains with hopes that one or both produce pollen. If only 1 then I will be pollen chucking it but it both produce I may either do careful pollen spreading with both pollens to create 2 different crosses per female, or saving one for another run :)

Glad to hear you have had success and looking forward to nailing it this round :)

What was your CS ppm? If you started spraying autos 2 weeks before flowering how many weeks into veg is that? Or do you know your strains/grow well enough to know roughly how long they'll veg for before flower? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I was never much interested in autos before but since I discovered the Dark Devil Auto I'm wanting to learn how to grow autos just for that one strain.

I use 50 ppm cs. I don't buy it with a higher ppm and dilute it. Typically around 3 weeks in veg I start spraying. I stop spraying when I clearly see sacs forming. I did have one run that didn't make sacs. I started spraying when I saw the plant start to flower, and it just would not turn. The next run I did the same strain and got pollen. I think the key with autos is you have to know when they go into flower. This means you might have to grow one out to see. I have dark devil auto and will be making seeds with it. I have never done DDA before so I will just start spraying it when the branches I want to spray are 3 or 4 inches long. I have thousands of fem auto seeds. My problem is I only have one tent so I don't really have a way to make pollen elsewhere and then pollinate select buds on another plant. Let me tell you that's it's a pain in the ass to get the seeds out of a whole plant. It's not a bad problem to have but man it's tedious.

Here are a few photos of my current seed project. The tent with 2 plants are the cultivars GG#4 and GDP which are on day 7 of flowering and getting sprayed with 50ppm CS 1x per day. I will only be spraying them for a total of 15 days and then I will just let them do their thing which is what I did on my 1st run which was a success.

Once one of the 2 girls starts showing active pollen development then I will be moving her to the 2nd tent to pollenate the other females. These include: GDP, GG#4, mendo grape kush, private reserve og, ogiesel, black cherry soda, tangie #3, harlequin and trainwreck.

Tent 1
20171203_181956.jpg
20171203_182001.jpg
20171203_182009.jpg

Tent 2
20171203_214321_HDR.jpg
20171203_214327_HDR.jpg
20171203_214435.jpg

Wow those sound like some nice genetics you'll be working with man!

Crossing my fingers this feminizing goes to plan. I'm gonna have to keep track of that one because my efforts with that haven't been so great either. I'm getting ready to get some feminized seeds for three different plants, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it all in the same space without cross contamination.

Once one of the 2 girls starts showing active pollen development then I will be moving her to the 2nd tent to pollenate the other females. These include: GDP, GG#4, mendo grape kush, private reserve og, ogiesel, black cherry soda, tangie #3, harlequin and trainwreck.

So you're just going to stick the balls out female into the flower room and see where the pollen flies? Probably a good idea with so many strains if the whole goal is seeds. Dusting pollen on one or two lower branches would produce a decent amount of seeds but you'll have shitloads your way. And it'll be much easier. Hopefully you'll get some decent pollen production this time cause those should be some fantastic crosses. Any idea which crosses you'd consider growing out first?

Wow those sound like some nice genetics you'll be working with man!

Crossing my fingers this feminizing goes to plan. I'm gonna have to keep track of that one because my efforts with that haven't been so great either. I'm getting ready to get some feminized seeds for three different plants, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it all in the same space without cross contamination.

Thanks :) yea that's the main reason why I want to make seeds is that I am lucky to be in Cali where most of these genetics originate and really happy to be able to get clone only strains. I decided to start making seeds because even thought the chemotypes and phenotypes may not be the exact same as clone only... the genetics are so awesome that they still may produce some amazing phenos down the road.

Also, knowing that the industry is about to go legal, and there is a lot of bio and pharma interest and investment in this industry, I know that eventually genetics will be either legally protected or possibly even GMO in the near future, so why not preserve whats available before the opportunity is gone :)

Hopefully I get it right this run... I can't believe I nailed the 1st one and the rest have been duds... going to try to replicate the exact directions this time as I did on the first run... :)

When is it too late to start spraying CS?

I wish I could give you a defined and correct answer, but I honestly don't know yet...

I have a "feeling" that once past 3 weeks and the pollen sacks are formed, I think it may be too late, but again thats just a hunch based on the different approaches that I have tried, but definitely far from a scientific answer I wish I had :)

Back
Top Bottom