In The Lab

Re: "In the Lab" with Doc Bud

Can anybody help with my cuttings. I use root riot plugs{slightly moist} in a humidity dome with a heat matt ,light spray of stress daily but cuttings wilt in a few days .what am i doing wrong .i dip cuttings in clonex when i take them.

Where on the mother plant are you taking your cuttings?

What kind of light?

You're not doing anything wrong....just might have too much light, or you're not putting enough water in the bottom of the tray......takes about 16oz for a normal prop tray.

I put my cuttings under a single foot long T5 bulb about 2 feet higher than the cuttings. Once you stick 'em in the plugs, ignore them for a week or so, other than to spray with stress a couple times.

If you give me a bit more information, I might be able to help you out!

Hey Doc I take cuttings from the bottom to the top of the plant and have them on a 2 ft t8 cool white lamps . I've had some success
before but now it seems in 2 to 3 days the stems are mushy and plant folded over . I've tried water in the tray or just keeping the plugs moist but same results. I'll try raising the light.

Hey Doc I take cuttings from the bottom to the top of the plant and have them on a 2 ft t8 cool white lamps . I've had some success
before but now it seems in 2 to 3 days the stems are mushy and plant folded over . I've tried water in the tray or just keeping the plugs moist but same results. I'll try raising the light.

I moisten the plugs at first, but also fill the bottom of the container with water. I think if the plugs are too wet, the stem gets soft. You want the moisture on the bottom, so it wicks up a bit. They don't need much light.

Also, are you trimming them up and getting the leaves off except the topmost leaves?

Pruning:

A day or two before putting plants into bloom, I like to prune the branches from the bottom, leaving the top 3, 4 or 5 nodes intacts depending on the strain.

I also do a pruning in bloom, when all the new growth is underway. Again, I take the lower branches and suckers, leaving the top 3, 4 or 5 nodes, depending on the strain.

Here's what it looks like in bloom:

Picture_02945.jpg
Picture_03046.jpg
Picture_03145.jpg

Doc;
In the operating instructions for your kit (page 5 of this forum!) I think you suggest 5-7 gallon pots for your ultimate size. Do you have any more thoughts about pot size? As you know, I'm using 15 gallon pots - is this a waste of soil? Thanks for all your help today and in the past.

Doc;
In the operating instructions for your kit (page 5 of this forum!) I think you suggest 5-7 gallon pots for your ultimate size. Do you have any more thoughts about pot size? As you know, I'm using 15 gallon pots - is this a waste of soil? Thanks for all your help today and in the past.

No.....you're outdoors in a greenhouse. 15 gallons is a minimum. The 7 gallon pots are for our wimpy indoor plants.

No.....you're outdoors in a greenhouse. 15 gallons is a minimum. The 7 gallon pots are for our wimpy indoor plants.

Oh....And WELCOME! Welcome to 420 magazine and I am honored your first post was in my thread. Please excuse the coarse discussion about pH in the instructions. Sometimes cannabis aficionado's need their attention gotten....or something like that.

Oh....And WELCOME! Welcome to 420 magazine and I am honored your first post was in my thread. Please excuse the coarse discussion about pH in the instructions. Sometimes cannabis aficionado's need their attention gotten....or something like that.

Not a problem - I thought it was pretty funny!

Doc,

I got a question. On the directions you say to mix a half ounce of energy and 2ml of tea in a gallon of water. I just wanted to double check. You want me to evenly feed that one gallon to my 6 plants? Even when they get transplanted to 5 gallon smart pots?

With those 5 gal smart pots I normally water about a gallon and it soaks it up pretty well. Watering with 1/6 of a gallon didn't seem like very much. I though I saw Curso soaking his plants in a tub with a bubbler.

Thanks Doc, I hope my question is clear.

Doc,

I got a question. On the directions you say to mix a half ounce of energy and 2ml of tea in a gallon of water. I just wanted to double check. You want me to evenly feed that one gallon to my 6 plants? Even when they get transplanted to 5 gallon smart pots?

With those 5 gal smart pots I normally water about a gallon and it soaks it up pretty well. Watering with 1/6 of a gallon didn't seem like very much. I though I saw Curso soaking his plants in a tub with a bubbler.

Thanks Doc, I hope my question is clear.

Great question bro! The idea is to mix up the Energy and Tea in a gallon of water, letting it sit for 20 minutes or so is nice....wake sup the tea.....and then to take that gallon eveny distribute it to the plants.

So, let's say you're watering 6 plants....gonna use say 8 gallons of water total......

Take the gallon of Energy and Tea you just mixed up, put a half gallon in one bucket and the other half in another bucket.....fill each bucket to 4 gallons and go ahead and water each plant with a gallon of water.

The half oz. of Energy will cover 16 sq. feet, while a full oz. covers 32 sq. feet. The directions for the kit are all based on 6 plants in 7 gallon pots, or their equivalent. (5 gallon root makers)

I know this sounds kind of complicated at first, but in the end it looks like this:

1.)in a 1 gallon pitcher/bucket....whatever, pour 1/2 oz of Energy. Fill to top with water....squirt 2 mil of Tea into the mix....stir it up and go busy yourself doing something else for 20 minutes.

2.)distribute that gallon of feed water evenly to the plants!

That's it. Outdoors a hose-end sprayer works very well....indoors this usually means hand watering, unless you have fertigation....which I do not at this time. So, if you need 10 gallons of water, put 1/2 gallon of feed water made in step one into two 5 gallon buckets and top them off with water and evenly distribute to the plants.

This is important!

Occasionally, like during stretch, you might have to double up on a feeding. Don't be afraid to feed them a bit more often during times of rapid growth.

Also, you're going to be flirting with a magnesium deficiency at times. I suggest adding 7 tsp. of Epsom Salt to 5 gallons of feed water two or three times during stretch and bulking phases. That seems to be the sweet spot. Some strains do not require this...some do. Just look for taco-shaped leaves to see if you need it. We want to avoid a deficiency....barely.

You could use another method.....anything that evenly distributes the feed water to the plants is a 100% correct method.

Maybe I'll do a step by step photo tutorial on feeding. It's so dang simple....and I think that's what throws people off.

I tried to pm you doc. Im still a noob though. Is your kit economically feasible for my garden of 42 five gallon pots? Or should I try re doing all your work with ILC and get my own analysis? Would the lab have an ammendment already configured for the promix HP? Not dissing all your hard work, just need a super sized kit.

A drip system took out all my worries. Hand watered for over 5 yrs. Never again, except when plants are small, but never once I transplant into the five gallon pots. Im seeing very consistent plants and my yield went up. No fighting through the jungle any more.

I tried to pm you doc. Im still a noob though. Is your kit economically feasible for my garden of 42 five gallon pots? Or should I try re doing all your work with ILC and get my own analysis? Would the lab have an ammendment already configured for the promix HP? Not dissing all your hard work, just need a super sized kit.

PM incoming!

To answer your question; yes. For a garden your size, should you choose to use promix HP mycorhizza, I can "supersize" the amend for you, as well as everything else.

You are most welcome to start from scratch, as I have done....if you do and you arrive at a workable soil. please share.

Building a potting soil that can be packaged and comes as a consistent product is actually quite difficult. Sometimes it's best to use the soil in your back yard, as it's abundant (for some) and recycling is convenient.

Great question bro! The idea is to mix up the Energy and Tea in a gallon of water, letting it sit for 20 minutes or so is nice....wake sup the tea.....and then to take that gallon eveny distribute it to the plants.

So, let's say you're watering 6 plants....gonna use say 8 gallons of water total......

Take the gallon of Energy and Tea you just mixed up, put a half gallon in one bucket and the other half in another bucket.....fill each bucket to 4 gallons and go ahead and water each plant with a gallon of water.

The half oz. of Energy will cover 16 sq. feet, while a full oz. covers 32 sq. feet. The directions for the kit are all based on 6 plants in 7 gallon pots, or their equivalent. (5 gallon root makers)

I know this sounds kind of complicated at first, but in the end it looks like this:

1.)in a 1 gallon pitcher/bucket....whatever, pour 1/2 oz of Energy. Fill to top with water....squirt 2 mil of Tea into the mix....stir it up and go busy yourself doing something else for 20 minutes.

2.)distribute that gallon of feed water evenly to the plants!

That's it. Outdoors a hose-end sprayer works very well....indoors this usually means hand watering, unless you have fertigation....which I do not at this time. So, if you need 10 gallons of water, put 1/2 gallon of feed water made in step one into two 5 gallon buckets and top them off with water and evenly distribute to the plants.

This is important!

Occasionally, like during stretch, you might have to double up on a feeding. Don't be afraid to feed them a bit more often during times of rapid growth.

Also, you're going to be flirting with a magnesium deficiency at times. I suggest adding 7 tsp. of Epsom Salt to 5 gallons of feed water two or three times during stretch and bulking phases. That seems to be the sweet spot. Some strains do not require this...some do. Just look for taco-shaped leaves to see if you need it. We want to avoid a deficiency....barely.

You could use another method.....anything that evenly distributes the feed water to the plants is a 100% correct method.

Maybe I'll do a step by step photo tutorial on feeding. It's so dang simple....and I think that's what throws people off.

Thanks for the reply Doc. That makes much more sense. I'm someone who asks a bunch of questions first, especially when I am unsure. Plus it is fun to talk with you about this stuff. I am watering with tap water that is pretty good. (Lower TA) do you think I will still possibly show a Mg deficiency? I know you are using RO. I have Epsom salt on hand regardless.

Thanks for the reply Doc. That makes much more sense. I'm someone who asks a bunch of questions first, especially when I am unsure. Plus it is fun to talk with you about this stuff. I am watering with tap water that is pretty good. (Lower TA) do you think I will still possibly show a Mg deficiency? I know you are using RO. I have Epsom salt on hand regardless.

No, you'll probably be fine with that nice tap water. My water is HORRIBLE right now. I wish I could use tap water. I've got to buy new memranes and filters already....damn.

No, you'll probably be fine with that nice tap water. My water is HORRIBLE right now. I wish I could use tap water. I've got to buy new memranes and filters already....damn.

Not sure what type of unit you have but check out Bulk Reef Supply...I picked up my R/O from them for a bad azz price, they custom made it to my liking, and when I re-ordered filters, they were pretty cheap too :) I still have yet to replace my D/I beads and Carbon Block, but within 6 months my pre-filter was yellow/brown... I am happy not to be drinking this water anymore and same for my plants :)

Not sure what type of unit you have but check out Bulk Reef Supply...I picked up my R/O from them for a bad azz price, they custom made it to my liking, and when I re-ordered filters, they were pretty cheap too :) I still have yet to replace my D/I beads and Carbon Block, but within 6 months my pre-filter was yellow/brown... I am happy not to be drinking this water anymore and same for my plants :)

I've got a Hydrologic 500 gal/day with a Merlin Tall Boy Pre-filter. It's pretty much at the end of it's useful service life till i change out membranes and stuff. Gotta do it soon.

Back
Top Bottom