Iwltfum's Recirculating Coco GH Journal - Harlequin - Blackwater OG - China Jack

Male Hash plant - booo.
IMG_057229.JPG

Female seedlings, not looking the best for whatever reason (the seedlings are the four in the middle):
IMG_057327.JPG

High Priority
IMG_058132.JPG

Blue Cheese
IMG_058033.JPG

Hash Plant (reeferman)
IMG_057930.JPG

Sour Kosher
IMG_057837.JPG

Soil test results:

Jack Frosts: One in the castings based soil that I made, and one in a 50/50 mix of castings based soil and coco/perlite. This soil worked the best. Out of the two, the straight castings soil was better just because it was bushier. But the 50/50 mix plant was just as tall.
IMG_057433.JPG

China Jacks: One in a 50/50 mix of the castings based soil and a compost based soil that I also made myself. The other is in a 50/50 mix of the castings soil and straight compost. Left: Castings soil/Compost soil. Right:Castings soil/straight compost. The one on the left performed a little better than the one on the right.
IMG_057543.JPG

I planted this China Jack in a 50/50 mix of straight compost and coco/perlite. I added some rock dust to this mix as well. This soil was obviously terrible.
IMG_057638.JPG

Snow Trains: One was planted directly into the compost based soil. The other was planted in a 50/50 mix of the compost based soil and coco/perlite. This one worked better than the straight compost and coco/perlite, but didn't perform very well at all. The results of this one were strange. My theory that the compost is too hot, doesn't make much sense here after seeing the results of this soil because the plant in the undiluted compost based soil actually did better than the plant in the 50% diluted compost based soil - not by much though. Just like the straight compost/coco/perlite plant, these two plants were severely stunted for some reason.
IMG_057735.JPG

Here is the castings soil mix:
40gal recycled soil
5gal perlite/hydroton 3:1
47cups Castings (2.9gal)
1.5cups Fish meal
1cup rock phos
0.5cups kelp
0.5cups N guano
0.5cups bone meal
1.4cups P guano
0.3cups K sulfate
0.5cups humic acid (insoluble)
1cup Diatomaceous earth
4cups oyster shells
4cups crab meal
4cups glacial rock dust
0.75cups Azomite (granular)
1 lb Alfalfa meal
0.5 lb Kelp meal

Here is the compost soil mix:
11 gallons Blue Ribbon Premium Compost. Made regionally.
8 gallons recycled soil
1 gal worm castings
3 TBLS fish meal
2 TBLS soft rock phosphate
2 TBLS kelp (soluble)
1 TBLS Bone meal
2 TBLS P guano
2 TBLS Diatomaceous Earth
1 cup oyster shells. Ground to pebble size
1 cup glacial rock dust
1 cup azomite
1 cup crab meal
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup alfalfa meal

What I learned from this experiment:
I think the biggest lesson was that the compost I bought was probably not aged completely and needs some time to break down. It seems really hot.

The second was that I need to be adjusting the pH of my water, or else calcium tends to get locked out. I also started using ro water and adding cal-mag to it up to about 100ppm. Seems to work alot better than my well water.

The third lesson I learned, is that worm casting tea helps bad soils alot and helps good soils too, but not as much.

Here's the casting tea recipe that I've been using:
(meant to be diluted 1 part tea to 3 parts water just before it's used. So 1 gallon makes 4 gallons of feed water)
1 gallon of water
0.5cup worm castings
1.25 TBLS Black strap molasses
0.5tsp fish meal
0.25tsp kelp (soluble)
1tsp kelp meal
0.5tsp soft rock phosphate
0.5tsp spagnum peat moss
.0625tsp (1/16tsp) inoculant powder (kelp4less brand)

I start using it after around 12hours of brew time and I make sure it all gets used up before 36hours of brew time.
I know that alot of people say that this is a big no-no, but I actually adjust the pH of the diluted tea to around 6.5 with lemon juice before I use it to feed my plants. It seems to work much better when it's the right pH. If I don't adjust the pH, then it's usually around 8.

Tho I never grow in real dirt I love reading about these soil experiments and you've done yours up very nicely. :thumb:

Last time, 14years ago, I messed around making an elaborate soil mix it killed everything I tried to grow in it so it's been soilless mix with hydro nutes or straight DWC ever since! Really hard to get most of the ingredients needed to do soil grows decently here too so that's a factor.

L8r

Ok I know I have posted a ton of soil recipes on this journal, but I don't want to leave you guys out on anything.

Here's the soil recipe that I mixed today:

- 4.5cuft (3 bags) Black Gold potting mix (mix of sapgnum peat moss, compost, composted peanut hulls, composted rice hulls, composted forest material, pumice, and cinder, perlite, and earth worm castings) The NPK on it is 0.05-0-0
- 5 gallons mixed sized perlite
- 12 cups earth worm castings
- 0.5 cup fish meal
- 0.5 cup alfalfa meal
- 0.75 cup soft rock phosphate
- 2 cups bone meal
- 0.5 cup P guano
- 6 TBSP soluble kelp
- 4 TBSP kelp meal
- 2 TBSP potassium sulfate
- 3 TBSP diatomaceous earth
- 3 TBSP oyster shells
- 4 TBSP glacial rock dust
- 4 TBSP azomite
- 3 TBSP crab meal
- 1 TBSP inoculant mix

I revised the castings based soil and went with some of subcool's recommendations for a couple of the amendments. I also used some good flat potting mix as a base instead of old recycled coco. I have high hopes for this soil. It'll cook for a coupe weeks before I plant some plants into it. I'm doing a home soil test on it now. I'll post results soon.

I just found a fly in my compost tea. I fed it to my venus fly trap :bongrip::bongrip::bongrip::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::geek:

So I was looking through some old pictures. Tryin to get inspired, you know. And I stumbled across this old picture of one of my first chem dawg #4 plants.
Yum!
chemdawg42.jpg

Hey guys. I need to take some pictures of the seedlings. They are getting huge and almost ready to bloom. So I'll snap some pics in the next couple of days.

I harvested my outdoor San luis valley x la confidential earlier in the week. Here are some pictures of the bud and the BHO I made from the trim:

IMG_058937.jpg

IMG_059037.jpg

Ok here are the seedlings. They LOVE the new soil in the black gold mix.

BEFORE (Sept 17):
IMG_057327.JPG

AFTER (Oct 7):
IMG_059432.JPG

Here is a cool before and after of the hash plant:

Hash Plant BEFORE (Sept 18):
IMG_057930.JPG

Hash Plant AFTER (Oct 7). I topped her yesterday so she isn't as tall as she used to be:
IMG_059334.JPG

Looking awesome!

Nice looking buds too!

:adore:

Thanks pigeons! I think they are about ready for the trellis netting to go up and start blooming in the next week or so. The SLVxLAConf buds turned out nice and frosty. The whole plant - the buds I mean- ended up weighing about 3 oz (it was 2-3 feet tall). I think it was kind of light because I had to double up on my greenhouse plastic when it started to get cold and doing that seemed to filter out some of the sunlight. I guess all the other greenhouse plants will probably go into the hash bin, but every little bit helps, so I'm not complaining.

Lookin' great iwltfum! I meant to comment on the BHO the other night. It looks awesome! I've never had an extract, just bubble hash for me.. One day!

I'm liking the comparison pictures. The "seedlings" as you call them, are looking much happier! These beautiful plants have me wondering, what's going on in your flower room?

Lookin' great iwltfum! I meant to comment on the BHO the other night. It looks awesome! I've never had an extract, just bubble hash for me.. One day!

I'm liking the comparison pictures. The "seedlings" as you call them, are looking much happier! These beautiful plants have me wondering, what's going on in your flower room?

Thanks for stopping by jojo! and for the kind words. I actually don't smoke the bho myself. It makes me really tired and able to sit around all day and do nothing, which I don't like. I also got chronic bronchitis from smoking BHO (I'm pretty sure) several years ago and every time I take a dab or two, the bronchitis is back the next day, without fail.

Haha, I guess I'm just used to calling them seedlings. Up until a couple weeks ago, they were still seedlings. Plus I usually take clones, so, to me, they will probably be seedlings their entire lives. They definitely like the new soil. I also gave them a 1/4 strength dose of fox farms three part, because the nitrogen was a bit lacking in the soil test results, but the extra nutrients seemed to burn them a bit, so I'm going to back off for a couple more weeks.

I'll throw a peek of my bloom room up in a few hours.

Thanks for stopping by jojo! and for the kind words. I actually don't smoke the bho myself. It makes me really tired and able to sit around all day and do nothing, which I don't like. I also got chronic bronchitis from smoking BHO (I'm pretty sure) several years ago and every time I take a dab or two, the bronchitis is back the next day, without fail.

Haha, I guess I'm just used to calling them seedlings. Up until a couple weeks ago, they were still seedlings. Plus I usually take clones, so, to me, they will probably be seedlings their entire lives. They definitely like the new soil. I also gave them a 1/4 strength dose of fox farms three part, because the nitrogen was a bit lacking in the soil test results, but the extra nutrients seemed to burn them a bit, so I'm going to back off for a couple more weeks.

I'll throw a peek of my bloom room up in a few hours.

Hmm, that's no good to hear about the bronchitis. I'm suspectible to it too, so I'll have to watch out.

I was mostly interested in making BHO in an effort to store my supply long-term. I was reading that it BHO/extracts were the best way to store it since it will limit exposure to oxygen to only the outer surface.

And I completely understand about calling them seedlings. I still call some of mine seedlings, and they're the biggest of all! I'll probably do the same as you and call them that for the rest of their lives.

I was mostly interested in making BHO in an effort to store my supply long-term. I was reading that it BHO/extracts were the best way to store it since it will limit exposure to oxygen to only the outer surface.
You could make an edible concentrate too, if your into that. They store pretty well. I have butter in my fridge that I made 6 months ago and still gets the job done. Probably better to do with coconut oil or some kind of non-dairy product if you mean to store it for longer than 6 months though.

The bloom room:
IMG_059632.jpg

IMG_059731.JPG

SnowWreck
IMG_059829.jpg

Blackwater OG
IMG_059937.jpg

ChineseJack
IMG_060037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom