JohnnyBlaze's Chem Dawg x Hindu Kush Grow - Summer 2014/15

JohnnyBlaze

What strain is it?
Chem Dawg x Hindu Kush.
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Indica dominant.
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg 18/6 light cycle.
If in Veg... For how long?
Around 5 weeks under a 130W cfl. Coco/perlite mix in 4 inch pots drain to waste then 1.5 weeks in the tent. 30L pots, recirculating top feed system.
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor 1.4m x 1.4m tent.
Soil or Hydro?
Hydro 60\30 pea gravel\perlite mix.
Size of light?
600w hps and a Mars1 100x3w led.
Is it aircooled?
Yes.
Temp of Room/cab?
Lights on 27-31c
Lights off 25-30c
RH of Room/cab?
~20% little low but having to leave tent open to avoid using portable ac unit.
PH of media or res?
~6.0
Any Pests ?
Negative.
How often are you watering?
5 times a day, 1 min a feed.
Type and strength of ferts used?
Canna Veg A&B 60ML per 10L

Hey gang! I've been following 420 since I started growing about 15 months ago. Thought it was time to give a little back but starting my first journal and sharing some of the tricks I've learned from the amazing growers on this site!

This is my summer 2014 /2015 grow. I'm from the west coast of Australia so summer grows are difficult under optimal conditions. Unfortunately I don't have optimal conditions... Haha. Temperatures are my biggest issue over summer. Rental property with very average insulation and no ac in the bedrooms. I have picked up a portable ac unit for the crazy hot nights and leaving the tent wide open seems to keep it in a happy range (27-30c) so far. Humidity is a little low as a result of this but I can live with that.

This run I am growing Chem Dawg x Hindu Kush that I cloned from a friends plant about 8 weeks ago. They sat in coco for 5 odds weeks after rooting in my bubbler then went into the tent in a gravel/perlite mix. I use a recirculating top feed system with a 50L res.

Picture time!

First up... Full tent.
Front left #1, front right #2, back #3.
DSC_006922.JPG

CDXHK #1
DSC_006618.JPG

CDXHK #2
DSC_006717.JPG

CDXHK #3
DSC_006820.JPG

So I have about 1.5 more weeks of veg left. I have been spreading them out under the netting to open up the middle of the plants.
#1 has 2 main branches. #2 has 4. These are about an inch above the secondary growth. I'm thinking about topping these to slow them allowing the secondary to catch up then let it go vert after one more spread in a few days. #3 has heaps of even tops. I'm thinking about topping them all over a few days then spread and vert.

Would love to hear what you guys have to think about my plan of attack! :)

Looking good! :goodjob: I'm on my first grow so I'm no good for advice, I'm sure I'll learn something from you though! subbed

Welcome aboard! Should be an interesting ride. :)
You most certainly can give me some advice! I apparently fail at putting a journal link in my sig. Could you please show me where I have gone wrong? Would very much appreciate it!

Edit: got it sorted! :)

Thanks heaps LA! It's a privilege to have a seasoned grower along for the ride. :)
Should be an interesting run. Last summer was horrendous. I'm much more on top of things this year! I've been opening the tops daily as per your instructions so hopefully will have some nice long colas like your girl does!
Shame I won't be here for the second half of the run but hey... Gonna be climbing in Spain while my mate looks after it for me so can't really complain! :)

Spent a bit of time in the room before heading into work this evening. Tent open, temps were stable at 28.3c should be around 25c by the time I get home in the morning. Topped #1 twice, #2 & #3 both got topped 4 times. Will take some pics in a few days once they start to shoot up. Also spread them all out a little more. I'm thinking Friday week will be flip day so will let them go vert after one more spread on Thursday when they wake up.
Set up the portable ac unit today as well. The plastic to seal the window is a few cm shorter than my extraction point for the tent ventilation so I'm going to have to cut something out of some balsa wood to fit. Set it to 24c and let it run for an hour and a half. Tent temperature was stable at 31c. Hopefully 22c should keep it under 30c inside the tent.
Have to run. Time to start work. Best of buds to you all!

Sorry for the delayed update peeps. Have been crazy busy organising my trip! :woohoo:
Things are looking good in the tent. Managing temps will be the theme of this journal is think. Seeing quite a few 30c+ days atm. Tent open is still keeping things in check so avoiding using the portable ac for the time being. Have tested it a bit. Doesn't seem able to drop the tent under 30c closed. Will just reserve it for when my roomie isn't home to open it up and the 35c+ days.
Still happy with the growth. I think 3 plants is about right for my current light setup. Last run had 6 plants, the run before 4. Saw the dip in lighting at the extremities on both grows. Everything is getting full light this time round and loving it!
I raised the netting and lights a few inches the other day. Here's some pics I took just before and after lights on that day.

DSC_008225.JPG

CDXHK #1
DSC_008327.JPG

CDXHK #2
DSC_008422.JPG

CDXHK #3
DSC_008517.JPG
DSC_008128.JPG

I kinda wish I did a light defol last week. Spending a lot of time tucking leaves but it's paying off. All the side shoots are filling the spaces. Should have a nice little canopy. Have been opening the tops daily. Getting nice tight spacing. I think as long as we can keep the temps down around 30c thru flower it should be a half decent harvest!

Thanks LA! Your kind words keep me hopeful. :)
I actually went out the other week and got the biggest fan I could fit on top of my tent. 250m3 p/h minus 20% for the filter and another bit for the bend in ducting gives me around 200m3 which is as much as my filter can handle.
Flipped them to 12/12 last Friday. The stretch has begun!
Here's a few pics I took before work this morning.
DSC_007524.JPG
DSC_007615.JPG
DSC_007719.JPG

Very happy with the canopy. For the most part it is even. There's a few sections on the right side of the tent that never caught up but they are still getting decent light. Going to take 4 clones tonight and do a light clean up of useless shoots down low. Next run is white russian, they go into 2L pots under the 130W cfl tomorrow.

Arrived in Amsterdam yesterday. Having a blast so far. Picked up some candy kush last night. Tastes amazing! Just smoked a fattie to myself then went to the van gogh museum. Was having some crazy visuals.
My buddy is looking after the plants while my roomie is in new york. Will has some photos in a day or two.
Have upped the flowering nutes. My mate who i cloned them off said they can go quite heavy. They are stretching heaps. Hopefully they don't run out of room like my last grow!

Arrived in Amsterdam yesterday. Having a blast so far. Picked up some candy kush last night. Tastes amazing! Just smoked a fattie to myself then went to the van gogh museum. Was having some crazy visuals.
My buddy is looking after the plants while my roomie is in new york. Will has some photos in a day or two.
Have upped the flowering nutes. My mate who i cloned them off said they can go quite heavy. They are stretching heaps. Hopefully they don't run out of room like my last grow!

Picking up any nice beans/genetics from Amsterdam?

So once again I underestimated the stretch... 10 days to go and already 1ft from the lights which are up as far as they can go. My mate is going to hit em with a heavy defol tomorrow, everything below the bottom net and about 20% of fan leaves above. That should hopefully stop the stretch.... Hopefully.. :bitingnails:
He's sent me a couple of dodgy lights off photos and everything looks sweet! I've asked him to grab a couple of decent ones when he does the defol.
The white russians I planted in a coco/perlite mix before I left are doing well under the fluoro. They have a bit more root development to go then they should start shooting up! The 4 clones I took off this run took a bit of a beating in the crazy heat the other day.. 44.6 celcius. Few crisp leaves but 2 shot roots overnight so all good! :high-five:
Hope everyone is having a great start to the year. It's damn cold up here in Helsinki but I leave for Mallorca on Sunday so can't complain too much!! Peace out for now!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom