KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

When using conventional High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs I use 6" cooltube air cooled reflectors to enclose the light bulb and a lot of the heat is exhausted as cool air passes across the light bulb and passes through the inline exhaust fan directly outside the building. Cooltube's allow the light bulbs to be placed much closer without causing heat stress to the plants.

6_inch_Ultragrow_Cool_Tube.jpg

Thought so, after I took a couple mins to think about it. I have never used cooltubes before in my grow life so didn't know how effective they actually were. Even my biggest grow ever (and last indoor) I had used HID/sodium but a good 30 inch away constantly (cause I hate getting/seeing leaf curl let alone damage on my leaves haha) and used the old-school T8 florescence's (coolwhite/warm) as well to help in spectrum and save energy cost including cost of buying additional high pressured and the equip to run them. That was in early 2000s so I cannot even recall if cooltubes really existed back then? Thanks for the info. Also thanks for accepting my friend request and not only that but sending me 420 mag start up info and the charts were great. Even as an experienced grower I cant always recall everything so the charts are always great to refer to quickly and jot your memory as well even. Nute deficiencies,pests, and excess's heat effects on plants I find are always the harder ones to distinguish at early stages so I stare over at the nute deficiencies chart can help me guess more accurately before implementing trouble shooting sooner then later. Anyway I really appreciate that. Wishing you good vibes and continued grow prosperity. Looking forward to seeing your grows progress.

Cooltubes with large enough reflectors coupled with an inline exhaust fan are great for reducing grow room temperatures and providing more light to the plants when using conventional High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs in your grow room.

Thank you kindly! I hope the new member information I sent you may help you in your gardens!

I'm sure it will. An forsure!!! from what I see and have seen. Air vent. anddd flow are sooo crucial for proper bud growth esp. Yes!! you can grow weed fully without good vent and airflow (not none though, must be some of course) but they will develop slightly slower, yield less, and will be no doubt less potent as compared to top notch (I should say proper) air vent esp the flow. In the grow I was mentioning it was in the summer and I did not have a good air condition unit (spent all money on everything else) and it was brutal with the Sodium esp. and even with cool florescence (as I had rows and rows of them, adds up in heat too) having two industrial fans barely saved my ass. I had to everyyyday alot of times even twice a day water by hand all on my own for 75 plants it was a nightmare of involvement several times I often thought about giving up. I know back then of courseee a decent air conditioning unit (i did have an old shitty freon one I got for free but didnt push much air) would have helped greatly but a cool tube I guess then would have been even more help at least to have cut down on my heat issue back then.

Good Day to you Mr. King...LOL.

Got a question for you regarding an automatic water flow shutoff for the hydro res.

I bit more detail if you please. I'm trying to come up with a DWC and drip system all in one and only need to come up with a shutoff small enough to fit inside a 4 or 6 gallon res. Basically I want to shut off the water in the growing res so it doesn't over fill during change out.

Hope that makes sense...

Your input would be greatly appreciated. If you like you can post over on my journal.

When using conventional High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs I use 6" cooltube air cooled reflectors to enclose the light bulb and a lot of the heat is exhausted as cool air passes across the light bulb and passes through the inline exhaust fan directly outside the building. Cooltube's allow the light bulbs to be placed much closer without causing heat stress to the plants.

6_inch_Ultragrow_Cool_Tube.jpg

Good day KJC, which cool tube would you recommend 600w & 1000w HID. Thank you Sir.

AKA 60cal

I need to clarify: What brand name for cool tube? And what is the difference between cool tube and the ones that have flat glass at the bottom of the light system?
Thank you KJC :adore:

AKA 60cal

For a cool tube I prefer ones with longer reflectors that help spread the light better such as the UltraGROW UG-RCT/6 that I use with Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium light bulbs. For air cooled reflectors I read a long thread which tested many air cooled reflectors and determined that the Super Sun 2 Air-Cooled 6 in Reflector produced the highest amount of even illumination across its coverage.

https://www.1000bulbs.com Cool Tube Grow Light Reflector - 6 in. Diameter Flange

Make sure to remove the blue protective plastic from the aluminum before assembly!

Thank you for the reply KJC.

AKA 60cal

Hey King J,
Your set up is nice, I see that you have an air slot at the bottom of your grow room, just a suggestion, cut out a piece of nylon screen and staple it on the inside, keep out the bugs. I see your working with soil but I see you have two deep water containers too, which one do you like more.

Welcome to 420 Magazine Bobby Blunt! I have a furnace air filter that I shall fasten to the air inlet using a wooden guide and seal the edges with aluminum tape. I like using both hydroponics and soiless mediums for growing cannabis. I have a separate area in my building for plants in vegetative growth where I keep small plants and mother plants in my soiless medium. I use a Aeroponic mist clonner to root cuttings into clones as well.

Back
Top Bottom