MaxYield's Second Soil Journal - Strawberry Diesel - CFL Veg & LED Flower

Hey 420magazine!!

So I have a little idea that I want to run by all of you at 420mag, I am excited to get some feedback on it! So at this point my Strawberry Diesel has been under 24/7 of 54 watts 6500k CFL's for one week now, she looks healthy but hasn't been growing very vigorously... I cant wait until I get my new L.E.D. and I can stick this lady under the 10 CFL's I have in my hood. Which is were my idea comes into play.

She has been in veg for one week at this point, my new light is schedules to arrive this Wednesday, which means at that point I will move her under my 10 bulb hood. I thin will veg her for the ENTIRE time that my current ladies are flowering. That is at least seven more weeks of Vegetative growth, which I plan on using to do A LOT of Topping and Bending and Training to get her as big and bushy as possible. I am shootin' for 3' wide.

At that point I will put her in the Flowering tent alone and position a 2' x 4' Trellis over her to spread the mains shoots Auxins to lower growth producing what I hope to be... a lot of tops. I am going to try and shoot for AT LEAST .5 grams per watt. I will be using a Mars II 700W L.E.D. and I think with that set up it is more than possible.

Let me know what you all think!

--UPDATE :: JANUARY 14, 2015--​

Hey 420magazine!!

Lots of exciting news and changes come with this update!! I am very pleased to announce that the Strawberry Diesel has been moved into a proper (for the most part) Vegetative Growth room and will finish the duration of its Veg time there... I plan on vegging this little lady for at least 6 more weeks... I want her to be a monster, I plan of topping and bending and training her into a big bush before I throw her in the Flowering Tent by herself.

So if you follow my other Journal you know that today I received my Mars-Hydro Mars II 700 Watt L.E.D. Grow Light and have hung it up in my Flowering Tent. This means that the DIY C.F.L. Light Hood that I built is going to be solely dedicated to the Veg Closet... and for now the only plant that will be under her is the Strawberry Diesel. Here are some pictures of her new set up!

IMG_299411.jpg
IMG_29958.JPG
IMG_29969.JPG
IMG_299710.jpg
IMG_299814.jpg
IMG_299915.jpg
IMG_30019.jpg
IMG_30029.JPG
IMG_300615.JPG
IMG_30058.JPG
IMG_300910.JPG
IMG_30079.JPG

Make sure you let that soil dry good before watering again in veg. Looking good!!!

Make sure you let that soil dry good before watering again in veg. Looking good!!!

Will do! I watered it on Sunday with plain Tap and a drop of Super-Thrive. This poor little lady was definitely stressed out. I unfortunately didn't have any proper space or equipment to Veg a plant so she had to stay in a very cold cabinet (never got above 66*, especially with the recent cold weather) under 2 lame 23watt 2700k CFLs. Her soil hasn't dried out since her watering on Sunday, and she has obviously had her growth stunted, the new growth up top is the only thing that has happened since she came into my hands. I feel really bad for her, but she is in much better conditions now... you can see in the pictures I took that she is droopy, her stem is purple and her leaves are very light green towards the outside edges. I assume this is all from the very shitty conditions she has been living in and the stress that came with transplanting from H.B. soil in to regular F.F. soil.

Yesterday she was placed under the L.E.D. for about 6 hours until her first night of lights out (11:00 pm, both the Flower Tent and the Veg Closet's lights turn off at 11:00.)... and boy she LOVED IT. It is actually pretty astonishing the effect the L.E.D. had on her, she perked up after only a few hours and started to look healthy again. At 11:00 I moved her to the Veg Closet were she will stay, the Temps in there are hovering around 75* and the R.H. is hovering around 30%. This morning the lights came on at 5:00am in the Veg room and it is obvious that Strawberry Diesel is loving her new environmental conditions and I can't blame her! She is regaining color and hopefully will start drinking all of her water!

Can't wait to watch her start growing. I am only going to give her Tap Water during Veg, unless Cal-Mag / Super-Thrive is needed, as to limit the amount of mistakes I can make. I really want this girl to grow as perfectly as I can get her too.

-- UPDATE :: JANUARY 21 :: VEG DAY 16 --​

Hey 420 friends!

So with todays update I will be giving you all a sneak peak at what the Strawberry Diesel has been up too lately, as well as what changes have been made in the Veg Room. I am very excited to announce that this little beauty has finally recovered from her original stunting... I feel bad that she was so cold that she couldn't grow, but she has more than bounced back and is growing in full tilt.

GENERAL UPDATE ::

• Nutrient Feeding on Monday January 21. 1 gallon Denver Tap // .5 ml Super Thrive // 5 ml FoxFarm Big Bloom // 3ml Cal-Mag Plus.
  • LST began yesterday January 20. Pulled her down to promote the spread of Auxins. She has already fully recovered and is growing upwards fast.
  • Plan on topping this Sunday or Monday (When the Flowering ladies get their defoil).
  • I cut off the top halves of the lower leaves that had permanent damage from the cold temperatures earlier in her life.

Also, I moved the Strawberry Diesel into the Flowering Tent for the day so I could have full access to the Veg Room.. It desperately needed to be cleaned after the last three ladies... So I took everything out; swept the floor, disinfected it, completely taped Mylar Sheeting to walls, inserted reflective ground insulation, hung the small fan, made hangers for damp clothes, and perfected light hanging.

Her are some pics after I moved the Strawberry Diesel back into the Veg Room.
IMG_306713.jpg
IMG_30688.JPG
IMG_30768.JPG

Here are some close up pics, you can see how she handled the LST and how I cut off the dead lower growth.
IMG_307011.JPG
IMG_30699.JPG
IMG_30739.JPG
IMG_307513.JPG
IMG_30729.JPG

That's about it for now everyone! I am so happy she is back to growing, I can't wait to start turning her into a monster tree! I wasn't able to clone my last three ladies and I am hoping that I will be able to clone this one... Her genetics are great and so far she is growing beautifully. Her mother is also one of the most beautiful plants I have ever seen.

Thanks everyone for stopping by, I am extremely happy to have things running smoothly again! :Namaste::high-five:

Very good work MaxYields!!! Love the training.

:goodjob:

:popcorn:

Very good work MaxYields!!! Love the training.

:goodjob:

Thanks Seraphim! Thanks to you she was already such a lovely little lady, she adapts SO well to her training too. I think she looks so good in this picture haha, it is probably the favorite of all the pictures I have taken recently.
IMG_307513.JPG

Very glad to have you along B A R! I won't hesitate to ask you questions as I know the experience you have under your belt... Hope you don't mind!!

Will try my hardest to keep you all entertained! Although we all know how slow Vegging can seem, and this little lady is in it for the long haul, about 5 weeks and 3 days left of Veg... I have a pretty fun project planned for this grow as well, I have been extremely interested in making an Aero-Cloner (for a long while now) and I plan on getting one built before I put Strawberry Diesel into Flower. More on that to come.

Glad to be here Max. That pic is a beaut shot & this IS entertaining. I love the Veg stage! That's when we get to do whatever to these plants & they take it with the unswerving love a baby has for it's mother. But watching them flower's also great. Shoot, I just love the whole process.

Glad to be here Max. That pic is a beaut shot & this IS entertaining. I love the Veg stage! That's when we get to do whatever to these plants & they take it with the unswerving love a baby has for it's mother. But watching them flower's also great. Shoot, I just love the whole process.

I am with you on that one, although I still have the anxiousness of finishing a grow (probably because I am still working on my first Journal) I am undoubtedly enjoying every second of all my girls lives. Watching them get huge is awesome! Not to mention that every one of our beloved plants reacts almost immediately to any change... that is just fucking interesting. No other way to put it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Dr MaxYield, we are going to have a very nice array of Strawberry Diesel options. Between you and I we are growing the exact same genetics in three different ways. The (1) mineralized supersoil, your (2) soil with nutes and (3) High Brix.

After all three harvest are in, we should get together and compare them. It will be like our own little cannabis cup. (very, very small cup) and post our collective review on here.

Dr MaxYield, we are going to have a very nice array of Strawberry Diesel options. Between you and I we are growing the exact same genetics in three different ways. The (1) mineralized supersoil, your (2) soil with nutes and (3) High Brix.

After all three harvest are in, we should get together and compare them. It will be like our own little cannabis cup. (very, very small cup) and post our collective review on here.

Oh man.... it would absolutely be my pleasure to put on the first ever Strawberry Diesel Cup with you Seraphim! That's really good thinking as a matter of fact. Especially considering that I am using one of the most popular brand name Soils and Nutrients it will provide a very in depth look at the difference Mineralized // High Brix soils can make.

I also plan on putting this little lady through a nice Bud Wash (I would imagine you had planned on doing the same? I thought I saw you do some Bud Washing in one of your previous Journals) so we will have (hopefully) three smooth great tasting smokes. Can't wait my man!

Are our SD's at the same stage? I just checked your journal but you haven't posted any recent pics of her! I hope I am not too far behind you, you will have to save some of the Mineralized SD if you think you can (;

Your SD and my HB-SD are about the same age.

The mom in super-soil will of course be done much sooner. I will try to save some so we can have all three.

Phew! Made it. Sorry, don't know what took me so long. You had me at the root shot. I'm a sucker for 'em.
:ciao:

Welcome aboard my green companion! Glad to have you :slide:

I know what you mean... what kind of man doesn't enjoy a classy up skirt?! This little lady definitely didn't disappoint me with hers! I can't wait to see her roots the second time around.. that will be soon for sure! Just doin' some LST for now, pics soon!

Welcome aboard my green companion! Glad to have you :slide:

I know what you mean... what kind of man doesn't enjoy a classy up skirt?! This little lady definitely didn't disappoint me with hers! I can't wait to see her roots the second time around.. that will be soon for sure! Just doin' some LST for now, pics soon!

A gay man looking for a kilt. Just saying.

Hey MaxYields figured I would come check out another local Colorado journal. Hope you don't mind. Your SD looks great, props to seraphim for a beautiful clone. I some times think it would be cool to see someone else grow a strain I'm playing with to see how it reacts to another environment, different feeding schedules stuff like that. Got a SD bag seed a couple months back but it didn't germ so I'm excited to see how this turns out. No stranger to long veg times here either. I love to train my girls and watch them take shape. I'm on my second grow now other than my outdoor summer fail last year so thirdish aswell. Working on my first journal and they were veged 8 weeks. All the best to you and may your garden flourish. :Namaste:

Hey MaxYields figured I would come check out another local Colorado journal. Hope you don't mind. Your SD looks great, props to seraphim for a beautiful clone. I some times think it would be cool to see someone else grow a strain I'm playing with to see how it reacts to another environment, different feeding schedules stuff like that. Got a SD bag seed a couple months back but it didn't germ so I'm excited to see how this turns out. No stranger to long veg times here either. I love to train my girls and watch them take shape. I'm on my second grow now other than my outdoor summer fail last year so thirdish aswell. Working on my first journal and they were veged 8 weeks. All the best to you and may your garden flourish. :Namaste:

Welcome, glad to have ya Subnoise!!!

I am always super excited too have another Coloradan along in my Journal! I think is is very cool to see the same strain in different environments, if you want, I will be taking clones of this girl in a couple weeks, and if you wanted we could make something happen and it would be my pleasure too keep this gene pool spreading through Colorado. P.M. if ya think you'd be interested!

8 week veg... NICE!! That sure is a long time, this lady should definitely be vegging for about the same time as yours. I cannot wait to get her nice and big. Thanks for all of your kind comments and good vibrations!!

I hope your garden is as lush and green as ever good sir! I will be stopping by :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom