Mazar Afghan 10 and a 1/2 weeks flowering. Pics

In case your all wondering what the heck that white thing is under the lights? That's a 2.5 gallon water container that I cut in half. The Styrofoam cups are inside (wet and waiting). I put the top on it so the soil won't dry out. Eventually I'll remove the black plastic shelving that it is sitting on and place the larger pots down low.

Good morning Woodsman,

Now I'm truly impressed, that is a very nice set up with a lot of thought for a "budget" grow. I think you will be very happy with the results.
Congrats on your seeds starting to pop, we'll pray to the cannabis gods for all 5 seeds to become beautiful healthy girls.

Woodsman, Tiger and everyone I would like to say thanks for the kind words and yes I will keep the journal going and will be posting pics soon.

All The buds from my Mazar/Afghan Grow are dry now and are in the curing process. My initial analysis that the smoke was not potent enough has turned out incorrect! Its becoming quite good! In two different aspects:
1). The longer it has cured the more potent the smoke. The longest curing at just over two weeks and are from the top half of the plant.
2). The last buds harvested (one week ago) or as I described them, the 'undergrowth', have gone into cure today. These buds are very potent already!

I've smoked today from the earlier cured buds that were 'lacking' just a week ago and was very surprised at both the 'buzz' and the taste/smell. Twice as potent as they were after initial drying. Smell is kerosene, earth and touch of floral/fruit (?) Taste is earthy yet touch of sweetness (a little bit of a hash taste).

Last night I smoked the 'undergrowth' as it was dry now to the touch and as I mentioned above has gone to the jar today. It was awesome! About equal to the cured bud. Of course I can't wait till it's cured for a while. Should be even better if the other stuff is any indication.
Surprisingly happy with the Grow!

Below are three pics that I took earlier today. Top pic has four groups of bud. If you notice the group on the back left, that is the 'undergrowth' and is darker than the other three groups that are in various states of cure (at least a week).Front two are the longest in cure about two weeks and subsequently are the lightest (color) of all. The weight (I've probably smoked an 1/8th already) that you see is 1.2 ounces. Add the 1/8th I've smoked and total is what, 1 ounce and a quarter or so? Not bad considering my estimate while in flower was under an OZ. By the way the buds are not very tight/compact and the undergrowth is pretty fluffy. Perhaps due to the low wattage? The cured buds have become a little tighter though.

The other pics are of course is the stuff in cure. The larger jar is the 'undergrowth'.

DSCF000523.JPG

DSCF001014.JPG

DSCF000911.JPG

For those just looking in for the first time, this has been a harvest from just one small plant (100w). For me though, the stuff will last for a few months. It's my own personal Medication and unfortunately I don't have any smoking buddies around here to share it with so it will last till my next harvest. Beats paying for it!

Nice little stash you have there from the little one! That Mazur does pick up potency as it cures. Mine are nice as soon as they are dry enough to burn but OMFG by the time they get to a 4 week cure. Don't know what it is about this strain. Mazur is kind of fluffy bud at lower lumens as are most. On the good side, fluffy bud resists mold quite well. Don't have a clue as to why the underbud is somehow more potent from the get go but I think it is because it is the oldest and therefore most mature part of the plant. That would only be a theory.

DreamingOfBuds, MostlyCrazy and HealingKronic, Thanks for coming by. We Just watched Whiteout staring my girlfriend, Kate Beckinsale. Very decent and so was the movie! LOL Ya not much to do up here but watch movies (and toke).

So the stuff has some kick to it, Not the greatest, but seems like it's gotten much better and still may get more potent. I'd say right now about 7 out of 10.

Very happy with the closet setup though a couple issues that you guys could probably clear up. The temp in the closet is 87 - 89 degrees with the lights on and the fan on medium. That's the temp at the top of the cups. Will that be okay? Shouldn't get warmer in the house until the grow will be done.

Also for veg fert. All I have (used it on the Mazar) is fish emulsion. I won't be using it until two weeks into growth and may use it once or twice more before going to flower (no more than a month of veg). I've just read that users have developed issues with gnats. We do have some flying around from the outdoor potted plants that are wintering indoors. Hatched from the soil I take it. Am I taking a risk or not to worry.

Just ordered a 10 dollar pH meter (also water and light meter included), but I can't spend anymore for the UP/DOWN solutions. Can I use Baking soda to raise and citric acid (lemon juice/lime juice) to lower pH? This is the first time that I will be monitoring the pH.

I sowed two seeds earlier and of the three remaining, two have just opened and one still hasn't. I don't plan on starting the journal until I've got green growing.

DreamingOfBuds, MostlyCrazy and HealingKronic, Thanks for coming by. We Just watched Whiteout staring my girlfriend, Kate Beckinsale. Very decent and so was the movie! LOL Ya not much to do up here but watch movies (and toke).

So the stuff has some kick to it, Not the greatest, but seems like it's gotten much better and still may get more potent. I'd say right now about 7 out of 10.

Very happy with the closet setup though a couple issues that you guys could probably clear up. The temp in the closet is 87 - 89 degrees with the lights on and the fan on medium. That's the temp at the top of the cups. Will that be okay? Shouldn't get warmer in the house until the grow will be done.

Also for veg fert. All I have (used it on the Mazar) is fish emulsion. I won't be using it until two weeks into growth and may use it once or twice more before going to flower (no more than a month of veg). I've just read that users have developed issues with gnats. We do have some flying around from the outdoor potted plants that are wintering indoors. Hatched from the soil I take it. Am I taking a risk or not to worry.

Just ordered a 10 dollar pH meter (also water and light meter included), but I can't spend anymore for the UP/DOWN solutions. Can I use Baking soda to raise and citric acid (lemon juice/lime juice) to lower pH? This is the first time that I will be monitoring the pH.

I sowed two seeds earlier and of the three remaining, two have just opened and one still hasn't. I don't plan on starting the journal until I've got green growing.

Good morning Woodsman,
First I want to say the pics of the bud makes my mouth water, those are some yummy buds, congrats.:goodjob: and thanks for the info on attaching links to my sig, it was easy and it worked.
I live in the Great Lakes region of NY and have about the same weather conditions as you, cold and covered in snow and you are right abut the only thing to do up here is work, watch tv and smoke. Too cold to do much of anything else.
Like you said your smoke has been curing for only two weeks, yes it will get better and the smoke will get smoother. Wait till the 4th week, it should kick you in the butt and sit you on the couch. I had a friend over the other night and we smoked 1 bowl that had been curing for about 6 weeks. The smoke was so smooth and it kicked him in his butt. The next day i asked him to rate it and he gave it an A+ and said it was some of the best weed he has ever smoked.
I would say that 87-89 is a little on the warm side, make sure you keep the humidity in check with those temps. I think you need to drop the temp to at least 80, you showed a fresh air intake at the bottom of your grow room. Right now you don't need to worry as much about the extra light coming in so I would remove some of the covering you have to allow for more circulation or try and put the fan directly in front of your air intake where it will suck more air in.
I have the same situation as you in bringing plants in to overwinter. I've noticed a few gnats flying around and swat them when I see them but I'm not to worried about them either. It's the other pests you need to worry about. Next year I will spray before bringing them in and then after I bring them in. Please remember this summer to not work your outside plants then work your inside plants without changing clothes and washing first, you do not want spider mites, aphids or anything of the like inside.
With a harvest like you just had I would say your nute process looks good, just watch your plants and they will tell you what they want. If I were to add anything maybe add carbs for flower enhancement, I read in someones journal they used molasses, I use Bud Candy.
Checking your PH could save you a lot of problems, I found that out the hard way. I would call my water works company and see what the Ph of the city water is and then check it with the tester when you get it. One thing you could do this time of the year is bring some of that snow inside and let it melt then check the ph, you may have a perfect supply right there.
Good job on the seeds, hope the last one pops soon.

Good morning Woodsman,
First I want to say the pics of the bud makes my mouth water, those are some yummy buds, congrats.:goodjob: and thanks for the info on attaching links to my sig, it was easy and it worked.
I live in the Great Lakes region of NY and have about the same weather conditions as you, cold and covered in snow and you are right abut the only thing to do up here is work, watch tv and smoke. Too cold to do much of anything else.
Like you said your smoke has been curing for only two weeks, yes it will get better and the smoke will get smoother. Wait till the 4th week, it should kick you in the butt and sit you on the couch. I had a friend over the other night and we smoked 1 bowl that had been curing for about 6 weeks. The smoke was so smooth and it kicked him in his butt. The next day i asked him to rate it and he gave it an A+ and said it was some of the best weed he has ever smoked.
I would say that 87-89 is a little on the warm side, make sure you keep the humidity in check with those temps. I think you need to drop the temp to at least 80, you showed a fresh air intake at the bottom of your grow room. Right now you don't need to worry as much about the extra light coming in so I would remove some of the covering you have to allow for more circulation or try and put the fan directly in front of your air intake where it will suck more air in.
I have the same situation as you in bringing plants in to overwinter. I've noticed a few gnats flying around and swat them when I see them but I'm not to worried about them either. It's the other pests you need to worry about. Next year I will spray before bringing them in and then after I bring them in. Please remember this summer to not work your outside plants then work your inside plants without changing clothes and washing first, you do not want spider mites, aphids or anything of the like inside.
With a harvest like you just had I would say your nute process looks good, just watch your plants and they will tell you what they want. If I were to add anything maybe add carbs for flower enhancement, I read in someones journal they used molasses, I use Bud Candy.
Checking your PH could save you a lot of problems, I found that out the hard way. I would call my water works company and see what the Ph of the city water is and then check it with the tester when you get it. One thing you could do this time of the year is bring some of that snow inside and let it melt then check the ph, you may have a perfect supply right there.
Good job on the seeds, hope the last one pops soon.

Hey Dreaming, I just stopped by your site and said hello and then I come here and find you over here! Thanks for the good words and encouragement.

I used molasses in flowering on the last grow (1 - 1/2 tbsp per gal) I only used it for the last few weeks because before that, I did not know about it. Learned it here. I'll probably use it during the flower process from now on.

The pH will be a new toy for me and I hope it doesn't make life difficult. It's so nice to be ignorant sometimes, life is much simpler!

I'll take your advise if I grow both indoor and out, but judging from the grief I continue to get from the wife over the indoor, I most likely will not do an inside grow after this one. She even says that she doesn't approve of the outdoor! Oh ya, I thought I had passive acceptance from her as far as the new grow, wrong! Yesterday I asked her why she looked so down. She said, "so now you've planted something again, you know I don't like that........blah,blah,blah". Oh, makes me long for the many single years I had before marriage!

Yesterday, I emailed (a question), because I had no clue what strain of NL I have. They replied already! They say I have NL #5. Here I thought that I had #1 (it doesn't say anything on their site). I just read though (and that's what prompted me to write them), that #1 is not to be found anymore.

Very nice Woodsman, looks like you got a very nice haul there. Can't wait for the NL#5.:goodjob:

Thanks Velodrone, I just lost a long post I wrote to you. I had to stop because the wife was giving me a hard time and needed to talk with her. Came back to post it and it timed out!

The crop is turning out to be pretty good. The stuff that I've had curing gives me a good buzz now and the undergrowth is good already right after initial hang dry.

I've got four seeds that had opened up in the paper towel in soil right now and one seed still hasn't opened yet. The Journal will start when I get them going (when they start emerging.

I used molasses in flowering on the last grow (1 - 1/2 tbsp per gal) I only used it for the last few weeks because before that, I did not know about it. Learned it here. I'll probably use it during the flower process from now on.

The pH will be a new toy for me and I hope it doesn't make life difficult. It's so nice to be ignorant sometimes, life is much simpler!

I'll take your advise if I grow both indoor and out, but judging from the grief I continue to get from the wife over the indoor, I most likely will not do an inside grow after this one. She even says that she doesn't approve of the outdoor! Oh ya, I thought I had passive acceptance from her as far as the new grow, wrong! Yesterday I asked her why she looked so down. She said, "so now you've planted something again, you know I don't like that........blah,blah,blah". Oh, makes me long for the many single years I had before marriage!

I knew I had read that someone used molasses, see I did read your journal!!!!! On my Bub Candy the directions state to use it during the first 6 weeks of flowering, this might give you an idea of when and how long to use the molasses.

I've been single all my life, I've never found the right lady for me. Single is nice because I can do what I want and when I want but it gets very lonely and you know she is only looking after your best interest.

The Ph tester I have has made my life easier especially with the conditions of the water here. It will be easy to use and could save you a lot of grief in the long run.
I hope the fifth seed pops soon.

I knew I had read that someone used molasses, see I did read your journal!!!!! On my Bub Candy the directions state to use it during the first 6 weeks of flowering, this might give you an idea of when and how long to use the molasses.

I've been single all my life, I've never found the right lady for me. Single is nice because I can do what I want and when I want but it gets very lonely and you know she is only looking after your best interest.

The Ph tester I have has made my life easier especially with the conditions of the water here. It will be easy to use and could save you a lot of grief in the long run.
I hope the fifth seed pops soon.

I use distilled water normally for the grow although I have used rainwater on occasion and may use snow in the future. Is it as important to check pH levels when those are in use? Is it the ferts that throw you off the pH neutrality? It's all going to be new to me! Also just got the 4 in 1 meter today in the mail. Its the Rapitest by luster leaf.

I use the molasses for the flush also. Learned here that it is done.

As for the issues with the wife, I think she realizes now that my growing is a past time that I enjoy doing. That especially now in this period of my life when we are in such dire straits (unemployment) it fills a void for me. Gives me something to do while I''m looking for work. To avoid depression and so on. Keeps me busy, etc,,.
Our talk last night may have been productive in that sense. We love each other and that's the important thing here.

Not big on molasses in hydro ever! Sort of throws off everything in a salt based nutrient tank. I've seen it really affect ph and that's adversely affect the nute uptake which is not what you want.

I'm glad you wife is attentive to your needs in a tough times. It makes a big difference.

Not big on molasses in hydro ever! Sort of throws off everything in a salt based nutrient tank. I've seen it really affect ph and that's adversely affect the nute uptake which is not what you want.

I'm glad you wife is attentive to your needs in a tough times. It makes a big difference.

Great to here from you MC. Is there any adverse affect using the molasses with soil? From what I've read on this site, there are positives. Which way (up or down) will it make my pH go?

My wife has major issues she's dealing with now. I hope I've made her see that for me, growing is a therapy. I of course also have some major issues now with our situation. She said that now she understands a little better. I hope so, it's a major strain that needn't be. Meaning that this is the least of our problems.

Molasses in soil is ok since it generally grows slower and the buffers are built into the soil to break down the sugars. They try to mimic that for hydro by chelating ( aka smaller chucks) the additives for hydro but the only thing I've used is Liquid Karma which is not exactly equivalent to molasses.

My wife is a therapist I understand how life's problems add up to an almost overwhelming force at some points and you are 100% right, it's best to decide to fight the battles that mean something and keep yourself strong while doing it. I wish you and yours peace.

Molasses in soil is ok since it generally grows slower and the buffers are built into the soil to break down the sugars. They try to mimic that for hydro by chelating ( aka smaller chucks) the additives for hydro but the only thing I've used is Liquid Karma which is not exactly equivalent to molasses.

My wife is a therapist I understand how life's problems add up to an almost overwhelming force at some points and you are 100% right, it's best to decide to fight the battles that mean something and keep yourself strong while doing it. I wish you and yours peace.

Thank you MC for the supportive words

Well my future NL#5 is almost there. I've had 4/5 seeds germinate with the 5th and largest seed still in one piece in the towel. This morning I broke down and added another of my seeds to the wet paper towel. That leaves only 4 seeds for my outdoor grow in the spring.

Ideally I would like to have 3 adults this grow and odds are better with 5 seeds to start. I know that some folks prefer to sow their seeds directly in the ground. I used to do this, but with mixed results. Those results could be from the questionable quality of (bag) seeds I've used. This is the first time that I've ever purchased seeds (NL#5 and the free Mazar).

Back to the upcoming grow: three have green and one came up yesterday and is about to unfurl and throw off it's cracked shell. If this new seed will germinate It will be about a week behind.

I don't want to jinx myself by: what would I do space wise if all 5 are fem....I'll deal with that when the time comes!

Another 'pre-grow' update on the NL #5 grow:

I've got three up and growing fine, but the fourth is rather odd. Instead of two embryonic leaves (I think that's what you call the first two 'round' leaves), there is only one leaf! With a magnifying glass you can see the beginnings of foliage emerging from the base of the embryonic leaf and this seems to be getting larger (keeping my fingers crossed). The 6th seed that I started just today cracked it's shell, but the original 5th seed is still not complying!

Give me a few more days and I'll have the journal up.

Back
Top Bottom