sounds like your in union negotiations.

LOL. Sometimes I feel that I am. ;)

Your welcome! The one you found on the side looks great! You will be surprised how hardy cannabis is. ;-)

Thank you again, Ms. Fox. You have been so encouraging and helpful. I really appreciate it. =)

Cute babies!! I'm crossing my fingers for girls!!! If you haven't already, you should punch some holes in the bottom of those cups. I used a tac on mine and put about 15 holes in the bottom. They drain really well.

You can't see them in the pics I took but there are 4 slots on the side of the SC and 4 on the underside of the AM. Thank you for the advice though, any help I can get along the way that will make my garden grow, is greatly appreciated. :ganjamon:

I'll put some more pics up in the next few days. The AM is showing teeth on it's leaves and the SC has really perked up since I rescued it from the edge of the cup.

I really can't thank you all enough. You guys rock.

Great to have you on board Haze!

We're going today for more lights. The Afghan has stretched considerably and I'm a little worried about it. I'll get some pics up after we get back with the lights.

Hey MacMota. Grats on starting a journal. My AM also stretched incredibly as a seedling, but I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. I controlled it by getting the lights as close as possible, about an inch away, and that did the trick. Mine looked just like yours.

As a seedling:
rsz_100_3116.jpg

And now:
rsz_100_3561.jpg

You can really control the height of your plants with Fluoros by getting them as close as possible and won't have to worry about burning them with heat. Hope that helps with the stretch. Where did you get your beans? Just wondering if it's the same place I got mine.

Don't mean to intrude on your journal, just giving you some reference pics. GL on the grow.

Thank you KannabisKid. That's very encouraging to know that it'll all work out. That is if I didn't kill it.

I went to the store and got some more lights today. I got:

2 - 48" shop lights

2 - GE Daylight bulbs, 3050 lumens, 40w, 6700k light temp

2 - GE Sunlight bulbs, 2250 lumens, 40w, 5000k light temp

This puts us at a total of 14400 lumens, 240w and a variable light spectrum.

After getting home from the store, we decided to transplant the seedlings from the cups they were in, to their permanent homes in 5 gallon planting pots.

The SC was moved over fine. The were exposed for a minute but it was only to allow them to get put deeper into the bigger pot. We quickly buried the roots and watered.

Then the problem happened. When moving the AM over, I dropped the rootball tearing most of the roots off the plant. There's still around 2 inches of root left, but I'm really scared I killed it. Anyway, there's pics of the new lights and the seedlings below.

My lights:
DSC02563.JPG

SC:
DSC02564.JPG

DSC02567.JPG

AM, poor thing:
DSC02565.JPG

DSC025661.JPG

So yeah, I really hope the AM will be alright. I put some root encouraging nutes in the soil (5-10-5, I think) hoping to get the roots to come back. I'm pretty sad right now.

Sorry to hear about the root damage man. I'm a new cultivator myself so I can't offer any suggestions as to how to fix it or special treatment. If anything, you can always germ another bean.
On another note, the lights should be plenty for your plants. I have a 4' T5 pushing 20k for 3 plants and just now had to supplement with 2 more CFLs. I just reread and noticed your room is an outside closet/storage room. I'm no expert, but I read somewhere that adding co2 would somewhat reduce the level of heat and humidity. Again I'm not 100% positive, but if this is true, it might be something to look into for a room like this. Any Grow Support Members have any info on this? I found some co2 pucks from a website and was thinking about trying them. I remember how damned hot and humid it was down south lol.
Same place I got my seeds.

+reps my friend and GL on the grow. I'm tuned in.

Are you going to eventually move the seedlings into 400watt or higher for the lighting?

Thanks for looking DGMGH! We're going to stick with fluoros for now but if this goes well we've talked about flowering under HID in the future. Right now, space and stealth are our biggest hinderance for the big lights. I'd be curious to see how SC would do under 400w or 600w of HPS.

Sorry to hear about the root damage man...If anything, you can always germ another bean.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words and you're right, I could always germ another. I mean, I have 9 more. Also, I'll look in to the CO2, I haven't heard that but I'm an uber noob at this. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Thanks for the reps too. I really like how friendly everyone is here :slide:, I've had a rather poor experience on another site.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi Mac...you had asked about your seedling's stem being purple, you are correct that it could be genetic but I think most seedlings' stems are purple. It will fade away to a more typical green in time. All three of mine were purple at first but now they're becoming woody. Purple can also be a sign of a certain type of nutrient deficiency but I highly doubt that is the case as of now; probably just due to their young age.

Thanks, Lil Neutrino, for stopping by!

I thought so but I wasn't sure. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :ganjamon:

I went and just check on the seedlings. The lights must be helping. The Strawberry Cough's leaves have almost doubled and there's even new growth on the Mazar-Afghan (which I was corrected on by Mrs. MacMota last night. :grinjoint:). I figured the MA would slow down some because of the root damage so we'll see what happens. :popcorn:

Day 12 Update:

The root damage slowed the MA down a bit but not too much. I think the new lights helped it recover. I see 2 new little leaves coming in. There's a little yellowing going on though so that may be from the root damage.

I know that being patient is an important part in this whole process but I really feel like my seedlings shouldn't be seedlings anymore. I've looked at other journals and it seems like mine are growing incredibly slowly. I'm about to hit week 2 and I feel like the plants are at day 4. I'm trying to not be discouraged but shouldn't they grow faster than this?

Anyway, here's some new pictures. I took these last night. The first one is Strawberry Cough and the other is the Mazar-Afghan.

SC:
DSC025691.JPG

MA:
DSC025681.JPG

As always, thanks to everyone for all the help and thanks for stopping by! :ganjamon:

Mac, you shouldn't compare to other journals... There are all kinds of reasons peoples grow faster then others.Lights,mediums,genetics, and environment can be factors. Just concentrate on your little ones and make them the best they can be. You are doing fine...... :peace:

Just concentrate on your little ones and make them the best they can be. You are doing fine...... :peace:

Thank you. I'm just anxious. I'll keep waiting though, I'm excited to see them grow up. Thank you for all your help Be IRIE.

:welcome:Awsome, awsome, awsome!!!!! Great start and it really reminds me of my first grow with some reggies, and grew till flower and probably harvested a couple zippers. Anyways, I have a few things to say. First off way to look out for your woman, keep that up! Another major High five I must give is to your choice in gentics. A lot of folks go with bagseed for their first time, mainly because they don't want to waist the A+ genetics on their "trail and error" period if you will ;). Now I'm saying this not to get you worried, yet I would like to ensure you that if you listen to the great people on these threads you will be fine.

I really would like to point out that your soil is lacking the extra perlite thats needed to keep the soil full of air and help with drainage. Now you don't want to go transplanting or making these changes unless you two have made that decsion yourself. You really just have to pay close attention to your soil's moisture level, and the best way to do this IMO is a moisture meter for a new grower. Some people will say "ah just pick up the pot, and if its light water it" Here's my concern with that are you really going to know how light your 5 gal pots are going to be, well it will be tough. So for about 6 bux you can get a little moisture meter even in the garden center of wally world.

So if you can manage not to over water you'll do great! Good luck

Yikes sorry about the long post!!!

Hey guys. I'm using Jungle Growth Premium Potting Mix. It says it's 0.25-0.12-0.12 with fertilizer. It also says it contains aged pine bark, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, horticulture grade hardwood charcoal and lime. It does not, however, have the percentages of the additives but there are no time released nutrients. I made sure to look for that.

On a side note. I know that the MA has root damage from the transplant but there's some yellowing of the leaf tips. I'm thinking it's a Nitrogen deficiency but due to the root damage, I'm not 100% sure. I've got a picture below if anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions.

MA:
DSC025751.JPG

The plant is out of focus in the photo as I'm still trying to figure out my camera's settings. You can see the yellowing in the blurry mess there though.

...[A] major High five I must give is to your choice in gentics. A lot of folks go with bagseed for their first time, mainly because they don't want to waist the A+ genetics on their "trail and error" period if you will ;).

I really would like to point out that your soil is lacking the extra perlite thats needed to keep the soil full of air and help with drainage. ...You really just have to pay close attention to your soil's moisture level, and the best way to do this IMO is a moisture meter for a new grower...

So if you can manage not to over water you'll do great! Good luck

Yikes sorry about the long post!!!

Thanks DeadTour09. When we first conceptualized this grow we went down a list of do's and do not's and we decided that we would like to grow some of the high-end strains because, we thought, if we're going to sink this much money into this project, we don't want some crappy dirt weed genetics in there. Plus, we wanted something that would be good medicinally for her.

Originally, we were going to grow Strawberry Cough and White Widow but I had read that WW is a really tough grow and so we backed off her for the first time. Maybe our next grow, we're talking hydroponics for the future, perhaps even a ScROG grow down the road. I'd like to get more proficient in soil grows first though.

I had noticed that the soil was still damp from the watering when we transplanted. I've read that most plants need water about once a week and it seems that these are not using that much. I figured it was because they are still seedlings. It's funny because we were talking about moisture and mold last night. :grinjoint: I'll have to let the Mrs. know about the moisture meter.

Oh, and no worries on the long post. It seems I write novels every time I get on here. :smokin:

As usual, thanks to everyone for the help and thank you DeadTour for the reps. We really appreciate it. :thanks:

Not sure that is a N problem. The pic is blurry but looks like the tips on the new growth are starting to burn. Your soil does have ferts to carry you over for a few weeks. I wouldn't be watering the whole pot either. Just water around the little one, expanding the water circle as time goes by. I try to guide my roots sideways, let them spread their wings before they go deep... Just go easy on them and let them heal and get there feet under them. If you have access to it, you may want to get some liquefied sea kelp, it is good for sick and stressed plants and has loads of micro nutes.. Hang in there.....

I'll look at the Hydro Store and see if they have any Sea Kelp. I want to drool over the things I can't afford anyway. I'm also going to be picking up the materials needed for the carbon scrubber. I really need to get some circulating air in there pronto. Yesterday it hit 92F here and I think it was well over 100F in the grow room. That could be the reason they are taking their time growing.

Thank you so much for your help Be IRIE. I don't think I would be this calm about all this if you weren't dropping by with your pearls of growing knowledge. You are a godsend. :adore:

Back
Top Bottom