So these things are growing like crazy. The MA is over 16 inches and the SC is nearing 12 inches. I'm wondering when I can start them flowering. I know that there is a certain time that they have to vegetate but I'm worried that if I let them go too much longer that they'll outgrow the area they're in. I read somewhere that most indoor growers try to flower around 12 inches. Is this correct? Does force flowering cause issues?

Okay so on to the pictures. First up is the Mazar-Afghan. Both plants had food a few days ago and their "water-only" watering is coming up in a few days. The leaves on the Mazar are getting really big now, bigger than my hand actually. Here goes.

MA, Day 47:
DSC026631.JPG

DSC026641.JPG

DSC026671.JPG

DSC026711.JPG

And now, SC, Day 46:
DSC026651.JPG

DSC026661.JPG

DSC026681.JPG

DSC026702.JPG

The last shot here is of the bifurcation of the main stem. It seems to have stunted the growth height-wise but not the actual leaves. I'm just thinking that this means two main colas, or twolas. Heh.

So yeah, that's it for now. Oh! Some group shots! Here you go.

DSC026691.JPG

DSC026721.JPG

Alright, so that's it. Oh and I decided to hold off on the LST for this go 'round just to make sure that I can actually grow these.

Thanks to all of those offering advice and encouragement. And to those of you who signed on, welcome. :grinjoint:

Alright, so after some research (on here) and some discussion with Mrs. MacMota, we've decided that we're going to start flowering tomorrow. I'm going to give them their "water-only" in the morning and then change the timer. I'm slightly afraid that we've let them veg too long now because the MA is over 16 inches. That means that if they double, it'll be 3 feet but if they triple, I'm looking at 4 1/2 to 5 feet which isn't bad by any means but space is, somewhat, of an issue.

Furthermore, do to my only having shop lights, I'm worried about the lower leaves getting the appropriate light. The slush fund we had for materials is no longer slushy and as such purchasing anything else at this point is all but impossible.

I'm just a worried up wart. I'm sure everything will be fine but these are like a part of the family now and I don't want to do anything to harm them.

So, on to flowering! Wish us luck! :grinjoint:

WHoooo Hoooo, great to see this happening for you Mac! How many lumens are we working with total in the garden? Here's an idea too, kinda random but if you get your hands on a 250 watt HPS balast I will ship you a almost brand new hortilux bulb and of course it would be my gift to you. I tried to take it back to the hydro shop but didn't take it back when I swapped up to a 400 watt system. I'm trying to sell the bulb for $75 bux right now on cragslist, its worth 90. Its just an optimal blub for flowering cause it has the blue spectrums in it which normal hps bulbs don't have. Of course we'll keep all the shipping info in PM's so its up to you! I'm going to bed, work of course tomorrow. Keep it up, the both of you!!! :nicethread:

So these things are growing like crazy. The MA is over 16 inches and the SC is nearing 12 inches. I'm wondering when I can start them flowering. I know that there is a certain time that they have to vegetate but I'm worried that if I let them go too much longer that they'll outgrow the area they're in. I read somewhere that most indoor growers try to flower around 12 inches. Is this correct? Does force flowering cause issues?

Alright, so after some research (on here) and some discussion with Mrs. MacMota, we've decided that we're going to start flowering tomorrow. I'm going to give them their "water-only" in the morning and then change the timer. I'm slightly afraid that we've let them veg too long now because the MA is over 16 inches. That means that if they double, it'll be 3 feet but if they triple, I'm looking at 4 1/2 to 5 feet which isn't bad by any means but space is, somewhat, of an issue.

Furthermore, do to my only having shop lights, I'm worried about the lower leaves getting the appropriate light. The slush fund we had for materials is no longer slushy and as such purchasing anything else at this point is all but impossible.

Forcing flower will not harm your plants. If you go to ealry they simply will not start flowering until sexually mature to do so. Your plants look good to start flowering. They can grow up to 2-4X there veg height in the first few weeks of flowering called "the stretch" If you are worried about height then by all means LST them. It is not complicated. Just bend them over and tie them down. This is something you should be considering anyways using shop lights. Floros dont penetrate deep at all so you want to train those plants as flat as possible so it resembles Ivy growing across the ground. If budget is tight try to scrounge up a few bucks for CFLs to add all around the plant. Flowering phase requires a lot of light for good results. Every little bit will help.

Yeah they definetly look good to start flowering usually a good rule of thumb is 30 days from seed, once rooted for clones, or once you start to see staggered nodes.

WHoooo Hoooo, great to see this happening for you Mac! How many lumens are we working with total in the garden? Here's an idea too, kinda random but if you get your hands on a 250 watt HPS balast I will ship you a almost brand new hortilux bulb and of course it would be my gift to you. I tried to take it back to the hydro shop but didn't take it back when I swapped up to a 400 watt system. I'm trying to sell the bulb for $75 bux right now on cragslist, its worth 90. Its just an optimal blub for flowering cause it has the blue spectrums in it which normal hps bulbs don't have. Of course we'll keep all the shipping info in PM's so its up to you! I'm going to bed, work of course tomorrow. Keep it up, the both of you!!! :nicethread:

Thanks DeadTour. Your help has been invaluable and we appreciate every bit of it. As for the lumen on the lights, they total 14400. I don't remember what they are individually, I think it's in here somewhere. Also, in case you were wondering, there are 2 bulbs at 2800K, 2 at 5000K and 2 at 6700K, light temp. Also, what kind of ballast should we be looking at?

Forcing flower will not harm your plants. If you go to ealry they simply will not start flowering until sexually mature to do so. Your plants look good to start flowering. They can grow up to 2-4X there veg height in the first few weeks of flowering called "the stretch" If you are worried about height then by all means LST them. It is not complicated. Just bend them over and tie them down. This is something you should be considering anyways using shop lights. Floros dont penetrate deep at all so you want to train those plants as flat as possible so it resembles Ivy growing across the ground. If budget is tight try to scrounge up a few bucks for CFLs to add all around the plant. Flowering phase requires a lot of light for good results. Every little bit will help.

We've considered the CFLs before and I think we may again. What about Mylar? I've seen those vehicle windshield screens made of it for $5 or so. Would that help get some of the residual light back on the plants? Or would it be too far from the lights to make a difference? I know that lumen dissipates exponentially the further away from the light but if I can get some back on it, $5 isn't that much.

Yeah they definetly look good to start flowering usually a good rule of thumb is 30 days from seed, once rooted for clones, or once you start to see staggered nodes.

Thanks mellowman. If I've learned anything from this, it's to use Perlite and to start flowering at 30 days. I'm not gonna bitch if they hit 4 feet but, damn, that's a lot of weed. :grinjoint:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, you all. I'll get some more pics up here soon.

I'm not gonna bitch if they hit 4 feet but, damn, that's a lot of weed.....

I love this quote!

As far is the balast is concerned, any old 250 watter would do. Start looking, and if you find a switchable balast at a great price grab that. Then you have an HPS and an MH in one balast!

We've considered the CFLs before and I think we may again. What about Mylar? I've seen those vehicle windshield screens made of it for $5 or so. Would that help get some of the residual light back on the plants? Or would it be too far from the lights to make a difference? I know that lumen dissipates exponentially the further away from the light but if I can get some back on it, $5 isn't that much.

What ever works bud. Mylar emergency blankets are just a few bucks at target in the camping section. For a decent size sheet. Look into it. Anything to throw more usable light or get more light to the plants the better.

Weekly update time:

Wow! I can't believe how much these have grown in a week! Tomorrow will be 1 week of 12/12. Yesterday, I gave them flowering nutes (Bloom Booster, 15-30-15) I wanted to see how they'd do after a day so I could post any changes on here. The plants are doing great. I went snap-happy with the camera and took loads of pictures but I know ya'll like the pics any way so no biggie.

There's really not much to report at this point. I have a few questions about some of the pictures but other than that, I'm very pleased. I'm still looking for a ballast and I'm thinking we're going to be going to get some mylar based products (ballons, sun shields or blankets) some time soon. I'll put pictures up once we do.

So, on to the good stuff. First up is the Strawberry Cough. She (??) is at day 53 and is looking super green. The main stem which I thought bifurcated actually triplicated. The stem split once and then where the next node should have formed, another split took place. I don't know how I didn't see it but what has resulted is, 3 main stems. Also, due to this, we've decided to name her The Morrighan. For those of you who don't know, The Morrighan is the Celtic god of war (among other things) and has 3 forms which are some times referred to as The Three Sisters, hence the name. So yes! You have learned something new. Oh yeah, pictures. (Ramble much?)

The Morrighan (Strawberry Cough) - Day 53
DSC026731.JPG

DSC026741.JPG

DSC026751.JPG

DSC026811.JPG

DSC026851.JPG

DSC026831.JPG

DSC026861.JPG

Okay, next up is the Mazar-Afghan. She (again, not entirely sure) is at 54 days. She has one main stem and is nearly 1/3 higher than the SC. We've decided to name her Rhiannon, who was the Celtic Goddess-Queen of the land which she ruled. She tricked the man she was betrothed to so she could marry the man she was in love with. What? You learned two things? Is that too much? On to pictures.

Rhiannon (Mazar-Afghan) - Day 54:
DSC026761.JPG

DSC026771.JPG

DSC026781.JPG

DSC026791.JPG

DSC026801.JPG

DSC026841.JPG

DSC026871.JPG

DSC026881.JPG

Yeah, so who knew I could write books? Couple of questions. Is the browning at the bottom normal? Also, some of the upper leaves of the MA are twisting and funky looking. Those leaves grew into the light though, (I didn't move it up fast enough) and I'm wondering if the twisting is from them growing around the bulbs or from something else? Also, is it too early to tell? I mean most people say two weeks, so I'm lost.

Thanks for stopping by. Wow that's a lot of pictures. :grinjoint:

browning at the bottom can be normal yes. Old leaves die off, light doesnt get down there very good, esp. floros.

Twisting could be pH or heat damage from being against the light. I usually see death of that part of the leaf that touched the bulb. Turns crispy and very light brown in the next day or 2.

Dammit, now I'm all worried that I have a cock in the hen house. I'm not going to be able to look until the morning because they are sleeping right now. I have loads of pictures though so I'm going to look them over with a fine toothed comb and see.

Is this the picture you were talking about?
DSC026741.JPG

What happens if it is male and I leave it in there?

On a side note, I was looking at a HydroFarm 125w Compact Fluorescent Grow Light with the Day and Glow bulbs. (I found one on eBay for $115.00) I know it's not HID and I would get better results with HPS and MH, but keeping stealth in mind and low budget, I'm thinking it might be a useful addition. I was considering starting a closet grow in a free standing closet I found online that I could seal and vent properly and keep it inside to keep the temps lower and less humidity. On the other hand, I already have 14,400 lumen from 3 shop lights in the space they're in now. What do you guys think would this be a good idea?

Crap I recounted my bad the 9th pic down I would try to quote it but I just ripped the bong.... lol

edit
So thats a great idea but you'll want to finish this grow out in the current space and then decide to change or not IMO. If you have the money for the light grab it for sure and just add it in there,and the other closet later. What are the demensions of the stand alone?

Dammit, now I'm all worried that I have a cock in the hen house. I'm not going to be able to look until the morning because they are sleeping right now. I have loads of pictures though so I'm going to look them over with a fine toothed comb and see.

Is this the picture you were talking about?
DSC026741.JPG

What happens if it is male and I leave it in there?

On a side note, I was looking at a HydroFarm 125w Compact Fluorescent Grow Light with the Day and Glow bulbs. (I found one on eBay for $115.00) I know it's not HID and I would get better results with HPS and MH, but keeping stealth in mind and low budget, I'm thinking it might be a useful addition. I was considering starting a closet grow in a free standing closet I found online that I could seal and vent properly and keep it inside to keep the temps lower and less humidity. On the other hand, I already have 14,400 lumen from 3 shop lights in the space they're in now. What do you guys think would this be a good idea?

hmmmm what happens if its a male and you leave it in there.....I think you know that answer unless you like seeds

hmmmm what happens if its a male and you leave it in there.....I think you know that answer unless you like seeds

Yes I do know that answer. I really really really, hope this is a false alarm. Although losing the "free-seeds" plant wouldn't bother me as much as the one we paid for.

So this is a picture of the second and third nodes from the top. I'm thinking it's a boy but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

DSC026952.JPG

If you need a bigger picture to look at, you can get one in My Photo Gallery. I'm gonna go to the pool to de-stress. Lemme know what ya'll think.

Back
Top Bottom