Mr Teddy's Greek Indoor Grow - Indicas - Soil - LEDs

He is a real cacky fingered old twat ;)

I actually got less weed using the airpots, my first grow with coco I was using 25 litre decorators buckets, I had 2 plants and I got 18 ounces dry and I was battling freezing temperatures, when I did a summer grow using 4x 12L airpots see below.

2013-12-17_20_11_46.jpg

I didn't do a journal so I cant show you the results, the grow went real well no problems i used a RO system added cal mag, used boost during flower, used cannazyme had a longer flush period had every thing keyed in great, however I only got 16 ounces of dried bud, it was stronger and the buds were rock hard but less weed to smoke.

So my next grow I am going back to the big buckets but will be using this system: clay pebbles (hydroton balls), coco, auto feed 3x per day, will be growing 4 plants 1.2x1.2 tent using Dinafem OG kush.

Untitled89.png

:bravo:

Hello Mr. Teddy!

Contratulations, your setup is really nice, and I reckon your girls will have a great time under the PS450.
I'm really looking into the platinum led lights as I intend to start saving some power in the future. Currently I'm using a 400w hps in a perpetual sog grow and the results have been great but these leds are delivering much more PAR, drawing much less power and producing much less heat than hps. It's fantastic...

I have a Blueberry mother and my first clone is flowering at the moment. After harvest I'll let you know how it went.

Regarding the airpots, you will love them! They are amazing. I use 1 liter airpots in a 24 plant sog. They produce amazing root masses, all fine feeder roots, no big circling tap rots, no more rootbound! On the down side, as stated by our friend Piranha above, they are a pain to water.
I Keep them in trays, 6 on each tray, so I pull the tray out and put it on the coffe table, sit on the couch blazing one and water them very slowly, i wet the surface around the stem first very gently on all the plants (digging a little crater/bowl around the stem helps holding the water and prevents it from escaping trough the holes). Then I keep filling the craters on each pot at a time, and that gives time for the previous pot to absorb the water on the crater before you get to it again. This way water never drains trough the holes. You can also bottom feed, I do it with my mothers.

Happy growing!
:Namaste:

That's a very cool looking set up. Let me know if you start a journal. I'm getting a bit short on ones to follow. :laughtwo:

:bravo:

Happy growing!

:welcome: El Baya Thank you - I love tips like that. Especially the bit about "sit on the couch blazing one". :circle-of-love:

------

So I'm checking on the girls late last night (midday for them) and what do I see underneath Mazar's pot but a white little root. Dang, they're doing their thing fast. I'm thinking I maybe should revise my schedule and get my soil mixed, those airpots filled and the babies into them next week. Any opinions out there?

I can hear the village church bell drifting up the mountain on this still and glorious morning, so better go check in with The Big Man.

Have a peaceful Sunday, everyone.

Pip Pip!

Hey Mr. Teddy,

Still regarding the air-pots, forgot to mention that you should go with OldMedMan's advice to pack the soil really well, very important!

Regarding the transplant I would wait a bit more, but that's just me... If they have a large enough root system next week go for it.

Heres some pics of my Blueberry SOG style, 7 weeks into flower:

IMG_049229.JPG

IMG_048431.JPG

Happy Growing my friend.

Oh darn.. all that dreadful business with my dad distracted me from getting an early seat here, I hope you'll forgive me that Mr. Teddy! I really am eager to see your Mazaar, Blueberry and Master Kush growing strong under that fancy new piece of technology you finally got. I'd let them wait at least 2-3 more weeks before turning that baby on though.

I do hope you've saved me some tea you humorous ol' chap. :laughtwo: I'm partial to a little twinings black breakfast tea. :blushsmile: Then we can discuss the philosophy of inevitable progress... I believe progress is driven by positivity, so as long as the majority of a societal atmosphere has hope for progress then progress will indeed continue, as if inevitable ;)

Or perhaps the kafkaesque/backwards loans that Germany is giving Greece. I recall learning that American big Bankers did the same thing to cause the great depression, which hit Germany even harder than the US... silently agreeing to call in their loans and leave the market on the same day. Sounds like Germany learned a thing or two from us... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that money ends up in the pockets of JP Morgan and CitiBank and the Bank of America after Germany; we ought remember that the U.S.A. has veto power over the rest of the World Bank since the U.S. provides the most capital (mostly from backwards fractional reserve banking practices that assert we produce more capital than we possibly could in physical reality in the form of electronic currency) ....

But for now all I have to say is... gee aren't those little sprouts cute!?!? :) :laughtwo:

Hope you and Mrs. Teddy are well Monsieur Teddy!! :hug:

Hey Mr. Teddy,

Still regarding the air-pots, forgot to mention that you should go with OldMedMan's advice to pack the soil really well, very important!

Regarding the transplant I would wait a bit more, but that's just me... If they have a large enough root system next week go for it.

IMG_048431.JPG

Happy Growing my friend.

Well hello hello to you The Berry (if Google translate has it right). That's a mighty impressive Blueberry. And is that A 1 LITRE POT??? Blimey. :bravo: Particularly since I read that Blueberry can be a fussy one when it comes to nutes. You are rightly named. Thanks for the advice. I shall follow it. :circle-of-love:

Oh darn.. all that dreadful business with my dad distracted me from getting an early seat here, I hope you'll forgive me that Mr. Teddy! I really am eager to see your Mazaar, Blueberry and Master Kush growing strong under that fancy new piece of technology you finally got. I'd let them wait at least 2-3 more weeks before turning that baby on though.

I do hope you've saved me some tea you humorous ol' chap. :laughtwo: I'm partial to a little twinings black breakfast tea. :blushsmile: Then we can discuss the philosophy of inevitable progress... I believe progress is driven by positivity, so as long as the majority of a societal atmosphere has hope for progress then progress will indeed continue, as if inevitable ;)

But for now all I have to say is... gee aren't those little sprouts cute!?!? :) :laughtwo:

Hope you and Mrs. Teddy are well Monsieur Teddy!! :hug:

Ah, here she is, folks. :welcome::welcome::welcome: SG. There's a spare seat at Teddy's Old Timers Table - you know Jade and RL and daT of course. My very own early adopters. :cheesygrinsmiley: And of course Twinings Breakfast Tea. I make a 180 mile round trip every 6 weeks or so to a Carrefour to get it, and Colman's English Mustard Powder. There's only so much foreign stuff a chap can take, y'know.

Must have a chat with you about 'progress'. I believe you may have forgotten the Law of Unintended Consequences. But first...:passitleft:

All's tickety boo here, thanks. This is not the place to go into Mrs Teddy's problems. But it is the place to say that the medication - and I mean medication :cheesygrinsmiley: - is truly helping again. It's amazing how much better she is now, and using far fewer sleeping pills and painkillers than during our first year here when of course we had no access to The Herb.

Welcome, SoilGirl. :circle-of-love:

Well hello hello to you The Berry (if Google translate has it right). That's a mighty impressive Blueberry. And is that A 1 LITRE POT??? Blimey. :bravo: Particularly since I read that Blueberry can be a fussy one when it comes to nutes. You are rightly named. Thanks for the advice. I shall follow it. :circle-of-love:

Hello Mr. Teddy,

Actually it is quite interesting that the translation is "The Berry" because that was just sort of a random name I picked up... lol

Yes, 1 litre Air-Pots and they are pulling it of... I had to go with 1 liter due to the space available and also the price. I bought a 25 pack and fit 24 on my flowering cab. I also have bigger airpots, 5l and 20l.
I will use those on future grows. I want to try four plants on 5l pots and also one plant or even two on 20l pot. I'll try mainlining for the first time on these grows.

Just so you know I use BioBizz Grow, Bloom and Topmax, and also apply sugar cane molasses. My soil mix is aprox. 60% BVB peat moss, 20% worm castings and 20% perlite. With the airpots I tend to mix a little less perlite, maybe 10%, because they are well aerated.

I'll post a few other pics later for you to check out.

I have only been growing for less than 2 years, so I'm no expert at all. I hope we can learn something new which each other.
I've learned a lot here since I've started. We have an amazing community here!

Happy growing Mr. T.

Hey Mr. T. Subscribed & all caught up. Great grow set up & start!

When do you plant to "launch" the new LED? On current grow I put them under LED at ~14" about 5 days after they sprouted under T5's. LED's generally have excellent blue spectra that will give you tight stacked nodes over the lengthy, more stretchy growth pattern that result with many other light sources.

Subscribed Mr Teddy, I'll go back and start from the beginning.

Hey Mr. T. Subscribed & all caught up. Great grow set up & start!

When do you plant to "launch" the new LED? On current grow I put them under LED at ~14" about 5 days after they sprouted under T5's. LED's generally have excellent blue spectra that will give you tight stacked nodes over the lengthy, more stretchy growth pattern that result with many other light sources.

:welcome::welcome::welcome: brightlight. I am so lucky with the crowd in here. :love:

Now that's a darn good question to which I don't know the answer and which I'll take advice on. SoilGirl has suggested in week or two. I'm thinking I should let their root systems get developed for at least a few more days, re-pot into the airpots and then flip the switch. I certainly don't want them stretching too much and am also keen to try topping and LST. Before lights out early this morning I noticed some tiny bits of browning on the very top tip of the lower leaves. I don't think it's a heat problem under the CFLs and it obviously can't be nute burn. The seedling soil is pH neutral and worked well this summer for me. Possibly potassium problem? I'll get some pics this afternoon.

Subscribed Mr Teddy, I'll go back and start from the beginning.

And :welcome: to you too, 60. If you're starting from the beginning, remember to take notes. I'll be asking questions later to check that you really have read it. :laughtwo:
:circle-of-love:

DAY 14 UPDATE - TOO GOOD TO LAST

It was only a matter of time until I called for help. Things were going just too well. :)

This morning before lights out I spotted a little browning on Mazar's lowest leaf tips - right at the end of the leaves. This afternoon at lights on it's spreading. And Masterkush is now also affected. Blueberry, in the centre, is fine. They look OK initially...

DSC_14693.JPG

But on closer inspection...

DSC_14723.JPG
DSC_14712.JPG
DSC_14703.JPG

Too close to the CFLs? They are 4 inches away and it's certainly not hot on the hand. And it's the bottom, oldest leaves which are affected. New top growth looks fine.
Soil? They are in neutral pH light potting soil with no added fertiliser which worked well for the seedlings this summer.
Over / Under watering? They have had only 3 waterings so far and show no sign of wilting or leaf curling.
Nute burn? Nope. I haven't fed them anything but the spring water so far.

What's a little concerning is that it's moved down on Mazar's leaf through the 6 hours of darkness. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any thoughts? (Like 'Stop worrying, Teddy old chap')

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
:circle-of-love: Mr Teddy x

EDIT: Forgot to add that online / 420 research suggests Potassium deficiency, which would be strange in ones so young (?)

If it were my seedlings in my environment, I'd be thinking low humidity, but my atmosphere goes very dry in the winter months. Are you getting the pots fully soaked when you water? You might pop one out of the pot if the soil is firm enough, and check the roots. They might want to be up-potted.

Secondly, it looks like it's still just the first leaf pair, so no cause for real concern yet. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But I don't like the pattern. It's not a general weakness of the leaf, it's dessication at the tips and edges while the rest of the leaf looks healthy - more like a toxicity than a nutrient issue.

But as is true of all free advice - Caveat cultor. :cheesygrinsmiley: My plants turn out well because I use Doc's kit. I don' know nuttin 'bout pH and nutes 'n' stuff.

looking good. I think that's just a little nutrient burn. no biggie. I let my plants get 3 weeks old (at 12/12 from seed) in 16 oz containers and that's when their roots are just starting to circle the bottom of the their container.

el baya, what was that grown under? I hope to get some side branching with led lighting at 12/12 from seed because currently under fluorescent lighting I don't get a lot. thanks.

If it were my seedlings in my environment, I'd be thinking low humidity, but my atmosphere goes very dry in the winter months. Are you getting the pots fully soaked when you water? You might pop one out of the pot if the soil is firm enough, and check the roots. They might want to be up-potted.

Secondly, it looks like it's still just the first leaf pair, so no cause for real concern yet. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But I don't like the pattern. It's not a general weakness of the leaf, it's dessication at the tips and edges while the rest of the leaf looks healthy - more like a toxicity than a nutrient issue.

But as is true of all free advice - Caveat cultor. :cheesygrinsmiley: My plants turn out well because I use Doc's kit. I don' know nuttin 'bout pH and nutes 'n' stuff.

Thanks, Graytail. Really appreciated. Humidity is ok at 45-50% and yes, when I water it's thorough. I don't like it either - it's got worse in the last few hours since I posted. Might have to get the veg soil mixed and go for an early re-pot and see if that helps. :thanks::cheer:

looking good. I think that's just a little nutrient burn. no biggie. I let my plants get 3 weeks old (at 12/12 from seed) in 16 oz containers and that's when their roots are just starting to circle the bottom of the their container.

:cheer: b.real Thanks for posting. I don't think it's nute burn because they haven't any yet and there's no added fertiliser in the soil. I was going for that kind of timing to pot them on, but maybe I'll do it sooner rather than later. :thanks:

if you do it sooner it'll be hard because the soil crumbles. I vote to let them ride it out.

Just had another thought ...

Do you trust the water you're giving them? Any chance it has some toxic mineral concentration?

Just had another thought ...

Do you trust the water you're giving them? Any chance it has some toxic mineral concentration?

Good idea but I think it's very unlikely that there's something in the water. It comes from a mountain spring at the bottom of our drive and I used it all summer on the outdoor girls. (And we drink it too). All I do is let it get to room temp because it's fantastically cold when it emerges. This morning the browning is still spreading on Mazar's bottom leaves. Masterkush however is no worse. Blueberry still unaffected. I'm teaching English to the village kids most of the day, but I'll try and get the veg soil mixed later and think about potting on. Lights have just gone off, so we'll look again in 6 hours.

Seega seega as they say here. Take it slowly, slowly...

to determine plant health you should watch new growth and not old growth.

Kali spera my friends.

I just wanted to thank you for pitching in: for your astute advice and careful counselling. It is profoundly appreciated.

All is well. I don't know quite what was happening, but the leaf tip browning nightmare seems to have ceased. :) I am really rather pleased about that. :thumb: The girls are looking hunky-dory, the new growth on their fourth set of leaves is simply.....green.

Today I mixed the veg soi ready for potting on. I (accompanied by a dog and two kittens) went up into the woods and gathered some excellent looking humus (humo in Greek - we get even more of our words from Greek than Latin. I learnt something beautiful today by the way, Astronathos means astronaut. Astro is one (of many) Greek words for star. Nathos is a sailor. Star Sailor. Lovely, eh?

8hNVxPbl.jpg

(Photo credit: Relaxed Lester)

I love mixing soil. Pictures were taken and an update will be posted.
:thanks: again for your help. This is a good community.
:circle-of-love:
Pip Pip! Mr Teddy

el baya, what was that grown under? I hope to get some side branching with led lighting at 12/12 from seed because currently under fluorescent lighting I don't get a lot. thanks.

Hey B.Real,

It was under 400w hps. I'm using only clones at the moment. 1 week veg max while still in the plug tray. Then transplant to 1 liter airpot. I prune the bottom around the 2nd or 3rd week of flower. I do not want any side branching as I'm running a SOG at the moment, single cola is the goal.

I would veg longer and scrog/train/fim/top/mainline if I wanted more side branching with less plants per square feet/meters.

Happy Growing!

:Namaste

Back
Top Bottom