Multi Strain, Perpetual, Capn Style, Multi Room

I shot a video update last night, but it was too wordy as I couldn't shut up, so I'll do another tomorrow morning. The summary;

week 9 of flower for 2, week 7 for 1, the humidity is high and difficult to manage. Opening the other flower room is more problems than I thought but still trying to get through it all, and exterior odors have become evident a few times so trying to quietly manage that is where I'm at. If that doesn't work I might have to bite the bullet and use the carbon filter with 400 CFM fan. I'll have a video up tomorrow.

I find, we as growers get used to the smell of the plants in flower and its not as evident to us, however to outsiders the smell is very pronounced. If i was you I'd err on the side of caution and fit the fan and filter, better safe than sorry. Not sure how much more electricity you can pull though as you were close to your limit last time as i recall. :goodluck: either way mate

The situation is worse than I thought and I may need to discontinue growing after I chop in a week or two. I won't be able to open the other room so I may just take down the dividing wall and try to seal it up better. The humidity is killing me and the dank might just be the straw that breaks my camel's back. Video is processing and I will post it in a bit.

[video=youtube;xASGN_UF3Hg]
[/video]

Recharge is twice weekly, not every other day. Don't know what I was thinking when I said that.

Sorry to hear about your issues mate. Hope they get sorted out quickly. Gonna check the video now. Still no recharge in the UK so I'm making tea still!

have you tried a dehumidifier? maybe soil growing would produce less moisture? plants look great.. running one light and less plants would decrease humidity for sure.

All I can manage for a dehum is the two small 12volt units I have. A regular unit is outside my budget right now, plus there's still the odor issue. Perhaps if I had about 3 more of them small fans I could relocate the humid air in ducting etc, but my funds are very thin right now and I'm pretty sure I am in need of an immediate solution. I'll toss around a couple ideas with hopes I can find a solution. I definitely don't want to shut everything down.

Hopefully you will think of something buddy!

I'm going to mentally commit to waiting till the first plant is harvested to make a decision, and of course cheap fixes along the way when possible. I'm hoping to finally resolve my ventilation issue this week so hopefully that will alive the high humidity down to a reasonable factor.

I hope you sort it out Skybound. Re. the high humidity at night- plants do transpire at night. And obviously any temperature drop at night will raise the RH. I don't know your night temps and how/if you have your fans set up to go at night or what. My humidity is very high by lights on time. Like 80% plus. I may have to improve things a bit. Mold is sometimes an issue but just borderline and if I keep movement fans going and top to avoid large central colas it stays away.
I know a guy who dehumidifies his summer house in the off season with calcium chloride. Commonly known as the ice melt stuff you sprinkle on roads and driveways in winter. Also, pool supply stores will sell it as a water calcium hardener. Set up probably like your diy rock salt dehum though I didn't get a good look at that/or don't remember if I did. A two tier system. He sets out about a dozen five gallon buckets- each set up with a smaller bucket above which has holes in bottom and the cc in it. Moisture collects and drains into the bottom bucket. The water/cc mix has to be dumped out obviously, it's a bit caustic. He has very wet winters but the house stays dry . It works for him-collects a lot of water and it's cheap and available. Might be a worthwhile emergency attempt.
Can't say much about the smell situation that you haven't thought of already I'm sure. Best of luck mate.

Here is my DIY rock salt thing a majig. I re-purposed it by taking out the salt and putting a combination of water, soil moist and Ona liquid in the bottom bucket. The fan on the top bucket sucks air off the vacant room and dumps it into the Ona. The white bucket in the pic is just to tie the duct hose to the orange bucket as the hole in the orange lid is too big to terminate the duct to. I also might steal the fan between the unused hoods and use it to actively draw inlet air from the annular space around the flower rooms. There is already a starting collar in the flower room wall just waiting for purpose. My sealing job worked very well for containing odors and the Ona will mask anything else that makes it that far. I just hope moving some air will start to walk the RH down. In a day or two I will have more air moving in and out than I do now. Hope it all pays off b/c I'm not looking to make another tough decision and shut it down, I invested way too much cash and equity into this.

IMG_20150309_134302_588.jpg

"Hope it all pays off b/c I'm not looking to make another tough decision and shut it down, I invested way too much cash and equity into this."

No kidding. You've probably stumbled across this one by now too? Low budget way to get rid of weed odor

If funds were more available, I would give that charcoal filter a try, but realistically, I already have a decent sized carbon filter so maybe try and fit it into what I have and play around with a few things to see what works.

So here's the deal, I WILL be closing my flower rooms when my current 3 are finished. I suppose I can continue to band aid the situation, but this location is less than ideal in so many ways that I just lost the desire to continue stressing myself in so many ways. My intent is to locate funds and get my gear into a better location, and hopefully soon because these Purple Dream cuttings have exploded into growth and are becoming very large very quick. That large Cherry Bomb that was left in veg, I chopped up and discarded. So the perpetual aspect of my grow is not gonna happen, but I will harvest and WASH 3 plants which should afford me a conservative estimate of 2 pounds between the 3, that will be helpful in the relocation process.

The better news is that I am devoting much more time into my Automation Project and expect to have a working model in about a month. With just 2 sensors and an 8 channel relay board, I intend to be able to monitor and control the air environment and light schedule of a room. Each relay is more than capable of handling a 1,000 watt light or smaller, so attaching say fans to a relay is no biggie at all. The entire price tag for phase 1 of my project should come in at less than $100 and replace every timer I have. The great thing about this IMO is the ability to add as many relays as I desire, all being subject to the same clock, so no more conflicting mechanical timers that I can get "kinda close" when programming the time.

Once I release my code, expect to also find circuit diagrams of how everything is connected. Knowing that everyone's rooms are very different, I expect there to be a fair amount of modifications needed to suit us all. At that time I will be way more informed and will freely assist when I can to help the next grower build his/her automated grow rig. The circuitry is much easier than you think, and the code which is the hardest for me to learn, I am gaining on everyday and always building my knowledge up. Can't wait to have Phase 1 complete!

Back
Top Bottom