Multi Strain, Perpetual, Capn Style, Multi Room

Damn you. Now I Want to make a video. I'm sub'd

Hey DP, put some of your own music to the back ground (Because you rock).

SkyBound, very nice video your girls are getting so big. My fear is when I get started that I don't know how big the plants will be for my space. If I get a big enough room I want to put 4 plants in one tray (s1ingblade) and top feed (Capn Style). It will all depend on how long the veg is? I believe you went 2 months? Can you fit 4 plants under a 1000w in a 4'X4' tray if you had room?

I love your journal SkyBound because you are always coming up with great ideas. +reps.

Yeah, ya could fit 4 into a tray, but I'm starting to veer away from wanting a flat screen above. I was trolling Hiker's journal last night and saw he uses tomato cages which got me thinking "a scrog that is attached to the flowering pot". For as far behind my own schedule as I am, I might be a little late for a flat scrog anyway, but I was intending to build at least something to open them up a little, so we'll see.

I was gonna shoot some video but decided not to as everything is doing about the best it can with what I'm giving. The ?? plant is freaking me out because it smells exactly like a freshly opened can of pineapples with just a hue of honey, so I was thinking maybe I accidentally held a pineapple chunk as a reserve, but my previous journals reflect that I germed them both so I really don't know what to think other than I really want to keep the genetics going so I need to get back into cloning. The Cherry Bomb that had it's branch snapped off is doing very well also. She is squatting very low, but spreading out broad as if she's imagining her own scrog. To be honest, I wished they were all standing up more so I can fit another into this room because the remaining Cherry Bomb that is still in veg is now 4 1/2 months old and is aching to get into bloom but space is very thin in the flower room and I am very lacking in air circulation as it is so she remains in veg still longer. Today I went to the big orange and got two 6'x12" wire shelves that I plan to build a bench for the reservoirs to slide under. Then the runoff can drip down some 4" to the respective tote. Res changes will be a bigger PITA, but to better use the space and hopefully squeeze in the forth plant when I get new fans will make it worth the while. If not, I know the shelves will be useful somewhere down the road. I am just hoping I can squeeze out a harvest without too many issues, but I know if I don't resolve the RH highs in time, it may all be for naught.

Brief update,

Sorry no pics or video. I lost my cell phone and am trying to borrow a cam off anyone, but have to wait till then to shoot some video.

I am nearing the point of being able to open my other flower room. I got a new 200w fluorescent T5 fixture for my veg and I'll use the 400w in flower along with the other 600w that is being shipped. I finished my breathing wall between the flower rooms and I was even able to make something of a back draft damper just on the in side of the starting collars so when A room is blowing hot air at the breathing wall, that warmed air won't just push right into room B only. The dampers are just a circular piece of the reflective styrofoam board cut a little larger than the starting collars, duct taped at the 12:00 position. When the opposing room is blowing air in, I'm hoping the positive pressure will force the styrofoam to press against the starting collar and seal off that duct.

Another major improvement was the addition of those wire shelves that everyone uses in their laundry rooms. I ended up using four 6' lengths, but in hind sight (and for the other room) I should have used two 10' lengths. The reason for pairing them is to add strength. I set them up so that they hold the flower pots above the respective reservoirs. This makes res changing so much easier, I can spin the pots at will, and I also have something to tie off to when I LST instead of scrog.

To mitigate my electrical issues, I will be getting a gas stove and giving away the electric stove. When that is done, I will hang my other lights and bring this last friggin humongous Cherry Bomb into flower. She is already over 3' wide and is IMO perfect for flowering, I expect even more so by the time I actually get her under the 12/12.

I hope to be able to shoot a video in the next few days.

Ha ha! Or I'll start a journal and share all the fun and games I have! A bit embarrassing though sometimes...Skybound I just started my first scrog ten days ago. Invented some sort of system where the pots sit on a plywood base which holds the rods that support the screen. 4 screens to a light easily adjustable for height/tilt. I can shuffle everything around and still lift the pots enough to check for watering. I'll join them together over one base when I do a single plant thing. Helps with the claustrophobia I imagined a scrog would bring. Hope you don't mind, here's a pic if it helps give you ideas for yours, cheers.
image19751.jpg

PS- the rods are just old aluminum arrows I had around. Held in corners with 1/4" plastic retaining loops (proper term..?) of the sort that you use to organize electrical wires. One screw holds the loop and I back it off a bit to slide the screen up or down in that corner. The one closest in pic had come loose at that time due to extreme manhandling, but they are very strong. Arrows just jammed in holes drilled in base and 'sprung' outwards a bit hence the bend.

Nice setup WC, great and efficient use of space. What are you growing in, soil? Coco? The Capn and s1ingblade both had similar arrangements with their nets covering entire flood tables. I'm still on the fence if I wanna use a scrog or pursue tomato cages like Hiker's using. With the cages, I would be free to rotate the pots for "fuller" coverage which is kinda what I got going on now. I made some final additions to the room and after res change late tonight, it'll be ready for a video shoot.

When you make a journal, please post a link to it here so we can jump aboard.

Thanks man. Soil for now. I want to switch to something 'more hydro', rather badly, but too many life circumstances pulling me every which way. So just reading up, and slowly stockpiling and awaiting different circumstances. The Cap'n is why I joined this site. C526 turned me on to you and Greenthumb
Speaking of being pulled every which way- I checked out Hiker's journal so I see what you mean now about the tomato cages. Subscribed to that now and Budddyy's-on top of about 40 more. I feel like a dog in a squirrel colony around here. I've been doing some diy version of the tomato cages already for the last couple years- used the same arrowshafts that I'm using for this scrog contraption, now that I think about it. I'm coming to the scrog thing really fresh and excited about it so will stick with it for a while and see if that feeling lasts.

Scrog is a good option for ideal circumstances, but I'm so far behind my own time tables it's not even funny. I am trying 3 plants per 10' of room, but only under two 600s, and the other room will only be a 600 and a 400. My current room is filling in just right, but if I had nets down, I'd easily run out of space.

Hydro, ie Capn style is a lot easier than ya think. Not much to it once ya hammer down the basics of it. Croutons, bennies, transplanting, scrog. As best I can tell, he sticks with the product recipes, just accounts for known PPM ranges of familiar strains. For instance GH Flora would be Micro7.5, Gro2.5, Bloom12.5, so he just would then say it in parts of Micro-3 parts, Gro-1 part, Bloom-5 parts, but Capn lists it as Gro/Micro/Bloom, but the formula every week is the same, ya just adjust the number that equals what a part is.

Simple is what everyone keeps telling me. Circumstances are that I have to be away 4 or 5 days a week right now. Ended up single parent to my boy and his school is in another town so have two homes on the go most of the time and am always flying by the seat of my pants these days. With soil I can water and leave it for 4 or five days even though it's not optimum at all. So I will absolutely need an autowatering setup for top feed hydro (in coco probably) and will need at least a few decent windows of time to get things up and running to have a half-ass chance of it starting out ok. Waiting on some Subculture m&b (6 weeks now on back order...). Can't get recharge or ancient forest in this country for the tea and whatever concoction I've been brewing up doesn't seem to slay the pythium yet so hopefully the subculture does it. Scurrying around lining up things like hydroton and coco and res fittings and odds and ends. Not the ideal situation but most everyone here has some sort of situational stuff going on. Incredible the hours we put into this hobby. But- onwards and upwards mates.

Once again, apologies for the turret's on my video skills. Also the poor video quality and muffled audio at one spot. Before the video, I also want to say that I'm planning to get an RO tank into each of the flower rooms and also am still looking how to set up a waste line b/c carrying 5 gallon buckets around in tight spaces is proving to be hard on my knees, so I need to make this more hands free.

[video=youtube;rsMUUH95uk8]
[/video]

Whew! finally caught up 100% on the entire journal,went back from the very beginning again, videos and all because I'd missed some. You've come a long way with this Skybound. Really nice work. And the growth rate with this style almost makes my plants in soil look like they're standing still.
How much water are your plants in flower going through per week? I figure you can answer this one all too easily since you've been carrying it up there in buckets, or I wouldn't ask. I have water limitations and it's just one more hurdle I have to jump to make a hydro system happen.
By the way-the opening pots idea I got from you seems to work really well. Don't have roots to write home about at the moment but if/when I grow some I'll know for sure how well they work. Really hoping that the Subculture arrives while I'm still young. Link here. Crack pot and sorry for polluting your journal with my pictures man.

No worries Bro'ham! I don't take these journals too seriously. Just as long as ya leave me some paper to jot my numbers down here and there, feel free to doodle on the rest of the pages.

About the water, I've been giving each plant roughly 8-12 gallons per week and wasting about half that much the next week. Because I have an RO tank just outside the 2 rooms, I only have to lump the water down the steps which is still a pain in the nuts. My new thought is to rerun my feed line up through the ceiling and stab a leg down into each room to give me 2 RO tanks in the flower rooms. I'd need to get me another float valve and tote. Also am giving a lot of thought into ways to build me a waste sump so I won't have to use the steps at all.

Summertime conditions are too difficult to manage in this structure so I'm SOL on that option, believe me, I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom