My Mephisto Auto Top Fed DWC

Cactusreefer

High everyone:ganjamon: thanks for checking out my journal. This is my 1st try at hydro and autos lol. Figured Id dive right in. I used to grow indoor soil a loooong time ago. So for this grow, will be a single auto from Mephisto Genetics called Toofless Alien in a bucket style DWC. I had a 2nd plant in the tent, but it came up white...gave it a chance, but ultimately put her outside. Details are as follows:

Tent: 4x2x7 Gorilla
Light: Phlizon 2000 watt COB LED (451w actual)
Substrate: Top-fed deep water culture; 5 gallon bucket
Ventilation: Passive intake, 4" Vivosun inline fan w/carbon filter
Strain: Mephisto Genetics "Toofless Alien" autoflower (hybrid)
Nutrients: Botanicare-full program slightly tweaked
Testing: Hanna Growline pH, EC, PPM, Temp meter

Thats the basics of it. For this grow I settled on Mephisto Genetics. Honestly, I wanted to buy from a breeder direct and this is where the internet took me first haha. Was able to get in on their Monday seed drop. Got a few strains, a couple I put outside (journal to follow those coming soon). This grow is their Toofless Alien auto, a hybrid. So I set the tent up in my spare bedroom. The Gorilla tent is top notch quality. Very easy to put together, made of quality material, and lots of features. I hung the Vivosun exhaust in the top of the tent, passive intake on the bottom, exhaust out the top thru the window. Humidity is provided via cold air humidifier. Temp/RH seems somewhat stable at 75-78F/50-60%. As far as lighting, the Phlizon light is awesome as well. Very bright and high powered, especially with the COB's turned on. They provide full spectrum light when COB's are turned on. Says 2000 watts but its actually 451. Must be the metric system. The bucket setup is your average 5 gallon bucket with mesh pot top. Made by RootSpa. To this I added a 2nd airline with large airstone for max oxygenation. I put a 100 gph submersible pump in the bottom of the bucket and ran a drip line to the top to feed the seedling until roots reach the water. Source water is RODI I store for my saltwater aquarium, so its neutral pH and 0 TDS. Right now I am using Botanicare nutrients. Currently in early stage so running half strength on everything except Hydroguard (full strength). So Pure Blend Pro Grow, Cal-Mag, Silica Blast and Hydroguard. Will implement additional next week. I tried to condense this lol. More to follow soon. Some pics below. Thanks for hangin, any and all feedback is welcomed!

Tent setup

20210317_171423.jpg

20210317_172907.jpg

Plant Pics

Day 1 in tent
20210318_181934.jpg

Day 4
20210322_121259.jpg

Day 8
20210326_165915.jpg

Screenshot_20210326-194714_Gallery.jpg

Had a few leaf issues, pretty sure was me getting RH dialed in. I think shes ready to blow up. Decided not to top. Just going to go very low stress...bending and tucking. Being my first grow I dont want to stunt her as I know time is limited

High everyone:ganjamon: thanks for checking out my journal. This is my 1st try at hydro and autos lol. Figured Id dive right in. I used to grow indoor soil a loooong time ago. So for this grow, will be a single auto from Mephisto Genetics called Toofless Alien in a bucket style DWC. I had a 2nd plant in the tent, but it came up white...gave it a chance, but ultimately put her outside. Details are as follows:

Tent: 4x2x7 Gorilla
Light: Phlizon 2000 watt COB LED (451w actual)
Substrate: Top-fed deep water culture; 5 gallon bucket
Ventilation: Passive intake, 4" Vivosun inline fan w/carbon filter
Strain: Mephisto Genetics "Toofless Alien" autoflower (hybrid)
Nutrients: Botanicare-full program slightly tweaked
Testing: Hanna Growline pH, EC, PPM, Temp meter

Thats the basics of it. For this grow I settled on Mephisto Genetics. Honestly, I wanted to buy from a breeder direct and this is where the internet took me first haha. Was able to get in on their Monday seed drop. Got a few strains, a couple I put outside (journal to follow those coming soon). This grow is their Toofless Alien auto, a hybrid. So I set the tent up in my spare bedroom. The Gorilla tent is top notch quality. Very easy to put together, made of quality material, and lots of features. I hung the Vivosun exhaust in the top of the tent, passive intake on the bottom, exhaust out the top thru the window. Humidity is provided via cold air humidifier. Temp/RH seems somewhat stable at 75-78F/50-60%. As far as lighting, the Phlizon light is awesome as well. Very bright and high powered, especially with the COB's turned on. They provide full spectrum light when COB's are turned on. Says 2000 watts but its actually 451. Must be the metric system. The bucket setup is your average 5 gallon bucket with mesh pot top. Made by RootSpa. To this I added a 2nd airline with large airstone for max oxygenation. I put a 100 gph submersible pump in the bottom of the bucket and ran a drip line to the top to feed the seedling until roots reach the water. Source water is RODI I store for my saltwater aquarium, so its neutral pH and 0 TDS. Right now I am using Botanicare nutrients. Currently in early stage so running half strength on everything except Hydroguard (full strength). So Pure Blend Pro Grow, Cal-Mag, Silica Blast and Hydroguard. Will implement additional next week. I tried to condense this lol. More to follow soon. Some pics below. Thanks for hangin, any and all feedback is welcomed!

Tent setup

20210317_171423.jpg

20210317_172907.jpg

View attachment 2329031View attachment 2329033

Hey @Cactusreefer

Mind if I pull up a chair? I'm always up for a hydro grow! I don't always get all my notifications, so feel free to tag me if I wonder away.

Nice setup :high-five:

Thanks, this is uncharted waters for me Im an old soil guy. I will say im impressed with growth rate so far. Big time @Rexer @Bill284
Oh you ain't seen nothing yet...wait till they hit the stretch....they'll keep you on your toes.

Soil is a sure way for me to kill something :rofl:

Day 11

So things are growing pretty good. Changed rez water out yesterday, replaced with half strength. Feel like I could probably go full, but ill wait till next change out this weekend.

I feel like Im kinda struggling with temp management. Apparently I picked the least ventilated room in my house to put my tent in. AC flow is very weak into the room, and the tent intake doesnt pull much in. Temps around 80-81. Humidity upper 40's pushing 50%. Does this seem detrimental to growth, or am I being paranoid? I may pick up a small room ac unit to supplement. I tried the humidifier in the tent, but seems like there will be issues with dust on leaves, slight wilt. So i put it back outside the tent to be drawn in thru intake.

Also seems like maybe a touch of lighter green in the middle of the plant. Would light too close cause this? Ive been thinking this light may be a little close. Its pretty intense. 24 inches from plant top. Am going to borrow a PAR meter today.

Thanks for any feedback. Heres a couple pics
20210328_124151.jpg
20210328_124143.jpg
20210328_124137.jpg

Day 14

So we just hit 2 weeks in the tent, 17 days since germ. She's growing pretty strong now. Base is as thick as a pencil. Roots are hanging out of the basket, nice and white. Today is weekly solution change. Upped nutrients to 3rd week and went full strength. Had to snag a small room AC unit to keep temps around 76. Finally got that and RH stable. Did some leaf tucking too. I dont plan on any training other than that as this be my 1st auto. Need to crawl before I can walk haha! Anyways thanks for stoppin by!
20210401_162918.jpg

20210401_152839.jpg

20210401_153309.jpg

20210401_152813.jpg

Growing like a weed now lol a very ornamental one. Responding well to full strength nutrients. Tied some of the large leaves together to create openings...pulled branches down into the openings using paper clips. Basically opened them up and hooked to the edge of the pot. Probably going to have to remove the crate underneath and just set the bucket directly on the ground. This way i can lower the light, and raise as needed during flower. Currently @ 22 inches from canopy. Full spectrum COB's not on yet, am waiting till flower onset. That will definitely increase heat a few degrees. Not there yet tho, patience
20210403_104225.jpg

20210403_103303.jpg

20210403_104247.jpg

Growing like a weed now lol a very ornamental one. Responding well to full strength nutrients. Tied some of the large leaves together to create openings...pulled branches down into the openings using paper clips. Basically opened them up and hooked to the edge of the pot. Probably going to have to remove the crate underneath and just set the bucket directly on the ground. This way i can lower the light, and raise as needed during flower. Currently @ 22 inches from canopy. Full spectrum COB's not on yet, am waiting till flower onset. That will definitely increase heat a few degrees. Not there yet tho, patience
20210403_104225.jpg

20210403_103303.jpg

20210403_104247.jpg
Great diy hooks. I don't let any leaves touch pot or medium. :Namaste:
Looking good.

Ok, asking for a lil help, being ive never grown autos before, how detrimental is it to do some defoliation? Very minimal. Have a few GIANT leaves that are beyond tuck. Last thing i want to do is stunt, but this gal is growing like a mofo
20210405_165219.jpg

Ok, asking for a lil help, being ive never grown autos before, how detrimental is it to do some defoliation? Very minimal. Have a few GIANT leaves that are beyond tuck. Last thing i want to do is stunt, but this gal is growing like a mofo
20210405_165219.jpg

If you feel you have to, go for it.

Don't forget you can also pony tail the larger ones

Some light defoliating during veg will actually help.
LIGHT.

There's a great thread somewhere on here on it....I'll see if I can dig it up. I've defoliated autos with no I'll effect

Edit: Found it!! Multivortex nailed it.

Back
Top Bottom