Namaste's Soil Solo Cup Bag Seed - First Grow!

Terrnamaste

:welcome:
Welcome all!

After lurking these forums, amongst several others, and being stuck in the 'research' phase for a little over 3 years, I finally decided to bite the bullet when I had some extra cash, and finally give this a go!

Being my first time, all advice, questions and comments are welcome; but the sole intent of this thread is to provide a reference point for myself, and keep me on track with everything.

About my setup:
Slightly security/slightly stealth. Everything will be contained within the tent!
The tent is a Secret Jardin 1mx1mx1.5m DS90 2.5.
I have a 6" inline fan, rated at 400cfm on a speed controller.
I also have a Honeywell desk fan inside the passive intake vent. (as well as a small 3 inch fan with a short cord I haven't been able to make use of quite yet.)
I also have an elevated box fan directing cold air from an open window towards the passive intake vent, on the outside obviously.
There is plenty of air circulation in the room the tent is in, with a total of two cracked windows and fans blowing air all around.

I'm using a bag seed that I got from a batch of supposed candy kush, so this could be a short journal. Nevertheless, I got antsy waiting for my autoflower seeds from Gorilla to make their way here, so I figured I'd try this out. Even if it's a male, it'll give me some hands on experience with a plant and environment control.

What strain is it? It's supposedly Candy Kush
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Germing now, in the solo cup, waiting for a sprout! (covered in saran wrap to maximize the humidity during this crucial stage)
If in Veg... For how long? Was tossed into the solo cup on 1/22/16
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor!
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 60-70% Biobizz light mix/perlite mix, with an additional 30-40$ perlite.
If soil... What size pot? 16oz Red Solo Cup!
Size of light? 600W HPS - dual-spectrum bulb
Is it aircooled? Yes; Sun Systems Blockbuster 6" air cooled hood.
Temp of Room/cab? 95F
RH of Room/cab? 23%
PH of media or res? Everything going in is adjusted to 6.5; only watered once for the initial soak w/voodoo juice.
Any Pests ? Negative.
How often are you watering? Only once thus far, 12 hours before the initial planting.
Type and strength of ferts used? Only used .5ml of voodoo juice in 1/2 litre of water, that was evaporating for 24hrs.

My only concern as of now, is the excess heat and super low humidity problem; which I didn't think I'd have, honestly.
I have water in a tray under the cup, as well as a half gallon in the tent, and a damp/wet clothe that I draped in the tent as well. I was thinking of getting some sort of humidifier(unsure, because I'm afraid of overshooting and not being able to control the level the way I want, resulting in mold)
and for the temperature, I'm assuming the only thing I have left I can do is put a small a/c unit right outside the passive intake vent.

Any and all help is appreciated, or just feel free to follow along and learn from any mistakes I may encounter and (hopefully) solve!
:thanks::Namaste:

12606896_10205465896102079_1708110819_n.jpg

kandi2.jpg

12583619_10205465895862073_373892932_n.jpg

12583777_10205465896502089_1907003758_n.jpg

12607094_10205465896422087_1060799247_n.jpg

I will pull up the LazyBoy and catch the show. Besides love me some candy. Mmmmmm

LOL. Let's just hope she grows big and strong and needs a stripper pole to hold up her fruits...

Still no signs of sproutage >.>
I hooked up my 3 inch fan to try to move some more air around, and raised my hood to a total of 21.5" from the top of the solo cup.
The temperature is chilling between 88-90F, which is still too high.

I'm hoping the humidity will level itself out once she starts growing.

Any more useful information, feel free to throw my way!
I'm an absorbent sponge yearning for knowledge every step of the way.:thanks:

might help to add a section of 6-8" round aluminum duct through the hole the desk fan is pulling air from. you can kind of run the duct to a cooler section of the room (don't want it to be to long). then get the fan as close to it as possible and aim it directly at you're light. I will brb with some pic of mine to give you some ideas of keeping it cool.

Unable to create image: [/home/mag420/domains/420magazine.com/public_html/gallery/uploads/245493/vent26.jpg]

after getting this time after time while i was trying to upload photos i have decided I will use old pics I have uploaded although i don't have the most up to date pics they will do.

this is before I had any of the venting setup but, I will use this pic for reference as to where I ran my 6in round duct to. I ran it to the side of the sink (about 2.5/3ft away from the hole it went through, it was close to as far as I can get away from my register in the ceiling)
there is also another hole on that side of the tent about 6 inches from the top, I ran some flexible 6 inch duct through the hole and let it hang about 8 inches from the ground so it pulls in cooler air.
gorilla_tent.jpg

I also have an intake spot on the left side of the tent (exact same as spot as this one, you can see it in one of the pics) I have it open with a piece of 6 in flexibal duct about 1.5ft going through it. this side I did not put fan in front of it to pull more air in because it was pulling plenty in with out a fan. if you have to much air going in the pressure in the tent will become positive and then you will have smelly area lol.
20151223_105742.jpg

this pic shows how my fan is pointed at my light, the fan is pulling a lot of air through that 6in piece of aluminum duct. you can hold a lighter at the intake of the duct and it just about puts the flame out because its pulling so much air in. (I would like to add a really small fan in the back right side of the tent but I have got around to it, don't know if I for sure will this time around)
20151229_193019.jpg

this pic you can see the tower fan I have in the tent, after the air reflects of light from other fan, this fan pushes that air towards the wall on the left side of the tent, which causes the air to start moving in a circular motion which is what you want. (keeps from having spots in the tent that have no air flow). If you blow smoke in to my tent you can watch it make the "tornado" effect and swirl up to the carbon filter.
20151229_193000.jpg

sorry if its hard to get the idea of what I'm talking about on some of this, these pics were not exactly what I was wanting to use lol. once it lets me upload a pic again I will post them if you don't have it all figured out by then. :thumb:

EDIT: I also always run my exhaust fan on hi

Unable to create image: [/home/mag420/domains/420magazine.com/public_html/gallery/uploads/245493/vent26.jpg]

after getting this time after time while i was trying to upload photos i have decided I will use old pics I have uploaded although i don't have the most up to date pics they will do.

this is before I had any of the venting setup but, I will use this pic for reference as to where I ran my 6in round duct to. I ran it to the side of the sink (about 2.5/3ft away from the hole it went through, it was close to as far as I can get away from my register in the ceiling)
there is also another hole on that side of the tent about 6 inches from the top, I ran some flexible 6 inch duct through the hole and let it hang about 8 inches from the ground so it pulls in cooler air.
gorilla_tent.jpg

I also have an intake spot on the left side of the tent (exact same as spot as this one, you can see it in one of the pics) I have it open with a piece of 6 in flexibal duct about 1.5ft going through it. this side I did not put fan in front of it to pull more air in because it was pulling plenty in with out a fan. if you have to much air going in the pressure in the tent will become positive and then you will have smelly area lol.
20151223_105742.jpg

this pic shows how my fan is pointed at my light, the fan is pulling a lot of air through that 6in piece of aluminum duct. you can hold a lighter at the intake of the duct and it just about puts the flame out because its pulling so much air in. (I would like to add a really small fan in the back right side of the tent but I have got around to it, don't know if I for sure will this time around)
20151229_193019.jpg

this pic you can see the tower fan I have in the tent, after the air reflects of light from other fan, this fan pushes that air towards the wall on the left side of the tent, which causes the air to start moving in a circular motion which is what you want. (keeps from having spots in the tent that have no air flow). If you blow smoke in to my tent you can watch it make the "tornado" effect and swirl up to the carbon filter.
20151229_193000.jpg

sorry if its hard to get the idea of what I'm talking about on some of this, these pics were not exactly what I was wanting to use lol. once it lets me upload a pic again I will post them if you don't have it all figured out by then. :thumb:

EDIT: I also always run my exhaust fan on hi
:bravo:
Thanks for all of this! It's definitely helping me out a bit Couple quick questions, though.
Do you use a different style ducting for your intake, that you use for your exhaust? does it matter? I have a few small pieces of the less flexible kind laying around still.
I kind of did this a little bit, but I'm also kind of 'pushing' cold air from a window, with a box fan towards the intake vent, have to keep it on medium/low, or else it starts building positive pressure.

12607387_10205477350908442_1467995822_n.jpg

12575771_10205477351068446_1715959362_n.jpg

I also bought a double fan from the thrift store I thought was pretty neat, it can turn and lay horizontal, iono, pretty dope, and I thought more air flow as soon as I saw it. Each of the fans can be turned on or off separately, as well as separate speed controls for each. One to cool the hood off even more, and another to blow air along the bottom to start building that tornado a little, along with my little 3 inch fan(which I'll prolly replace with my 6" stronger honeywell that has no use atm; just worried about taking up space with all these fans, especially when I get 3 or 4 plants in there.
The intake vent is tucked inbetween the two fans right here.
12575758_10205477350828440_299506461_n.jpg

I see your humidity is rather low as well, do you typically not worry about it when they're this little? I'm not sure how I can really bring it up anymore, lol. It dropped down to 16%.
12575873_10205477350468431_484848503_n.jpg

Hoping someone can help me out. For now, I'll collect myself and see what else I can maneuver around. Thanks a ton! :thanks:
12576125_10205477351388454_1293868722_n.jpg

:Namaste:

I used the less flexible stuff at first then realized it was to much of a PITA to work with, so I went and got a bunch flexible duct and used that. it makes no difference, I like the more flexible stuff although it does not look as good as the stiffer aluminum duct. Where do you vent your exhaust at? inside the room the tent is in or outside? also what do you run youre exhaust fan at for speed? 50% 75% 100%?

as for humidity, I think it would be more ideal to have it more humid but where I am its cold and dry right now, if I can do it with out needing a humidifier, I will. I have had no issues with plants growing in the humidity I have now so unless that changes I am fine with it. there are humidifiers you can use but I dislike them a lot and they are hard on the furnace/ac. (if you use a humidifier that sprays water in the air every so often be sure to change furnace filter often, it will clog them up pretty quick.

I used the less flexible stuff at first then realized it was to much of a PITA to work with, so I went and got a bunch flexible duct and used that. it makes no difference, I like the more flexible stuff although it does not look as good as the stiffer aluminum duct. Where do you vent your exhaust at? inside the room the tent is in or outside? also what do you run youre exhaust fan at for speed? 50% 75% 100%?

as for humidity, I think it would be more ideal to have it more humid but where I am its cold and dry right now, if I can do it with out needing a humidifier, I will. I have had no issues with plants growing in the humidity I have now so unless that changes I am fine with it. there are humidifiers you can use but I dislike them a lot and they are hard on the furnace/ac. (if you use a humidifier that sprays water in the air every so often be sure to change furnace filter often, it will clog them up pretty quick.

Yeah, I did the same; tried to save a couple bucks on the ducting and ended up hating the stiffer shit, honestly. My temps are down to around 86 or so, which is awesomeee, humidity still bouncing around 16-20% I typically let my fans run closer to 75%, or else it's just slightly obnoxiously loud.:laughtwo:

I vent my exhaust in the same room the tent is in. I also keep another window in the room cracked open(total of 2), a ceiling fan on, and creating a tornado effect in the actual room as well.:volcano-smiley:

I've seen mixed reviews about humidity honestly. Also, FINALLY got the shipping notice that the seeds passed through customs.(It's been 11 days sense the order, jesus.) So I'll finally be able to get something rolling, because I'm starting to feel like this bagseed is a dupee.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom