Nick Hardy's Skunk Works #2 The Giant SIP Outdoor Soil: Thailand!

old people and their old people sayings 🤣
The below is what I put on the inside my front door in HK in 2017 I just saw from finding the photo. Wow I moved in November 19th 6 years already 🤣

IMG_5339.jpeg

There wasn’t any rain over night. My guess is some significant root issue and she’ll die today.

it looks like a separated main trunk .. :(

I was at this pepper farm last month. I just asked, they’ve had a real problem with the fungal mould Wastei mentioned. Its extremely unlikely but I wandered with the owner around the vines in those shoes. I wear shoes like once every two months. We’re a bare foot house (some Asian ones have house sandals or slippers) but ai have been known to bound up the stairs in my flip flops and me and & Co know about it when I do as its really noisy, especially in these shoes, the glass wall amplifies. She reckons I did recently. I know I did.

Dunno better safe than sorry!

IMG_7919.jpeg

Myriad other reasons for sure, 1000’s to one I trod on something there and brought it 1500km here. But I was right in amongst the plants tasting stuff right off the vine plucked by the owner. Not the tourist tour they do the walk to work by the owner one.

Dunno! Everything is getting rinsed.

I'm going to guess too big a reservoir filled too early that went off in the heat leading to pythium. Hope I'm wrong.
I’ve seen pythium. This I’m sure its not. I’ll ask my farmer mate his opinion - he’s having a horrible week though.

Its wilt. Like spinach on a plate. Deep green still. Branches still firm.

Just caught up on this unfortunate sequence of events. Sorry @NickHardy . That sucks. She really went down fast. I haven’t commented much here cuz I know nothing about SIP or SWICK. But did you learn enough to make it not so painful?

Just caught up on this unfortunate sequence of events. Sorry @NickHardy . That sucks. She really went down fast. I haven’t commented much here cuz I know nothing about SIP or SWICK. But did you learn enough to make it not so painful?
Yeah man - I get the fundamentals of SWICKsand SIPs All out plants go through a sorta Swicky stage, best plant I’ve ever grown was a bonsai like plant in a Solo SIP. I think there are better design choices I could have made (the perlite just looked so nice 😂) but I think this is going to turn out to be a fungal bacterial thing - I have 5kg diadtornitrious (sp) earth lost somewhere in the garage that was meant to go on top never happened. Maybe would have happened? Dunno. You live, you learn, you grow again.

As I have a spare outdoor Red Hot Cookies not doing much out the back of the house I feel like I’ll not abandon the journal, I thought about it, for like a second, obvs, I ain’t that person. Will after a thorough cleaning and new medium go again and finish this thing.

We’re very jungle where we are. See the mud in the top of the photo in the door frame, in the picture below? Its some flying insect nest, mating pair I think from & Co. No bitey bitey or eat house, but that appeared in days. Built out of mud they flew up to build it. I know this is a tough grow to get right.

My usual infoor, mix liquid nutes, add gas, press a button to water ain’t as hard by half.

So we go again.

And I got so much talent and expertise tagged a long. Plus Azi 😂 Learn something new every day. 🙏🏼

But now I’m gonna be a little sad and get lit 😅

Nick

IMG_7920.jpeg

Nick I was in the middle of a semi-somnolent episode last night and was shocked to see this.

I was hoping it was a bad dream.

You may still simply have damaged roots from the plant getting knocked around. If so a very heavy pruning to reduce transpiration may still save her. You had been preparing to spread her, you might do that with a heavy prune.

In fact in my current journal I had my "Seed Queen" undergo root stress, where I pruned back, reduced nutes and light and ended up with a good-looking runt of a plant.

Still you may have a situation where the roots were damaged and an opportunistic pathogen took over and in that case, that is too bad.

Or, as you have suggested, you have a bad case of fusarium/pythium/who-knows-what jungle rot.

If it were me, I'd keep the plant separated, prune her back and see what happens.

Really sorry to see you going through this, mate. I was looking forward to you applying some of my manifolding techniques.

MGM

Nah this is just a mad experiment - I’ve grown just a beautiful plant in a Solo SIP but in coco and non organic.

An absolutely monster SIP grown organically (never done organic before seemed the next logical step, right?!)

Before you call me nuts, which might be fair, my mucker @Absorber has his SIP about to be strapped up I dunno 30ft up a tree 🤣

Anything with Skunk Works in the journal title is me just trying to push and learn. I hate losing but I have probably over ten kilos of weed in the house when its all dried, trimmed, dried and cured. I ain’t short! ‘o weed. I hate losing though 🤣

I had to lie to my 4 year old daughter one of her nee baby rabbits went back to see its Mama because he missed her milk (it died - but think we know why)

There’s a few members here really not well and that’s another level entirely. A Canadian guy particularly active in the SIP Club, you yourself, how can I possibly be so sad about the plant? Nah not too much. Annoyed? A little. I hate making mistakes. I did I reckon in some design aspects, but I don’t think it caused the death of the plant.

We get to go again. Other stuff is a bit more final.

Nick & Co

Fusarium

@Wastei - respect bro. What a call - I’d never even heard of it.

Tis what it is.

I’ll rootopsy and cut but my farming buddy looked and gave the same answer. Corrected my spelling too!

Fuck soil 😂

But its interesting - I mean its possible some insect brought it, there’s the earth moving one built its house next door, airborne perhaps - they’ve just built the foundations for a new house 10m away, churned up in dust. When I think of being at that farm its not seeming that likely, i walked back and forth through the streets of Phnom Penh and three airports in those shoes after that. Came in the soil? Possibly. It says it thrives in temperatures above 24c - as the temperature rose here through more sunlight maybe that was the trigger.

Who knows. Interesting learning though.

Nick

she dies you can dissect the main root stem to see if there's any black mold(fusarium) in the center.
Had to pop out before I finished dissecting but took this. Reeks below and the whole root crown just snapped - gonna dig down as I empty the medium section as I want to see how well the SIP was actually operating.

Nick

IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7930.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

So look, I killed a plant, its not the first time and it won’t be the last.

I like Plan B though. I thought it was another Red Hot Cookies. Its not. Easily my favourite to grow and smoke so far:

IMG_7943.jpeg

Its a Strawberry AK! First glance thought the tape was red but its pink. Yay.

She’s in 5 gallons of coco and alive facing north for a week. I know she’s got the skills to live.

Bought the same soil. (Definition of madness? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result) I’m very sure it was the potting soil what done it. Likely same thing did another plant in Graduation grow.

The soil will arrive Monday I reckon. We’ll transplant probably Tuesday and get this show back on the road.

Nick

IMG_7941.jpeg

No idea how that plant is still alive and in good health. She must be 4-5 months old, was in a tent on whatever was easiest to feed, that means flower nutes a while, then what? A week ago dunped outside with little light and ai assume no nutes, the only thing we’ve had is a light cal mag mix, I’d be amazed someone gave her even any of that, yet there she is, bless! In coco trucking along in the rain lets give her a SIP Organic life, gonna shift her upstairs before transplant.

Sorta forgot about this.

IMG_7945.jpeg
IMG_7946.jpeg

This is the midi SIP, in the exact same medium. Red Mimosa XL Auto. Tiniest little buds in the world 🤣

I have never even topped the res on this one 😂

It was in the main room a little while. But to pop it I think I said its the “laziest I’ve ever popped a seed. No potting soil or anything. Bit of tap water on top and that’s been it.

I mean if she finishes with 5g I’d be surprised. But the medium same mix, built same day and fine. Gonna move her to the hot side of the house though tomorrow. See if the hotter temps kicks off something like the wilt in her. Dunno maybe 20 days left on the ticket?

Black bucket, she ain’t getting a skirt - bam-ba-lam 🤣

(Bangla-lam is more appropriate here as the main tourist bar street on the island but need the original)

Damn I'm sorry to see that giant SIP go south like that. I'm really late here but I'm with the folks who mentioned the wind separating the trunk from the roots, and the fusarium wilt I've had didn't take the plants all at once, but one or two branches at a time.

On the plus side you have a other 97 plants calling your name so I'm sure moving on should be a smooth transition.

:goodluck:

There was something rotten that allowed the wind to move her. They were like early summer storms, nothing out the ordinary. I've gone back over the wind data, you can too!

My weather Station (they average out temp for some reason - mine is likely the only one 3m above the roof as recommended anywhere but the airport)

I mean the house is in a U Shape and we're on a peninsula (of an island though there is a bridge) so yeah random squalls. Maybe. With a trunk that big she had no business falling over though.

Not giving the other one a skirt to see if her getting hot causes the same wilt.

Plus my Farmer buddy, one word answer - Fusarium. Goes a long way in my book.

So quiet round these parts. Household full of sick people.

Think I have a new plan.

Tonight is up pot 36 or so plants. So it ain’t happening tonight! But I can pop her tonight, I’ll do the first bit standard. So she’ll get a little artifical light and Cal Mag to start.

Tomorrow gonna mix some new soil and change the design slightly.

Then I’m gonna plant a Red Mimosa XL Auto from Sweet Seeds. Will give the Journal something of an end date! 80 days I think they are. Def adding more lime to the mix for Cal.

And yeah no drama over the light management.

Outdoor Organic Auto Giant SIP On A Tropical Island

Seems obvious to me?

😂

Any fucker asks me put it up a pylon or on the roof can go do one 🤣

That’s for you @Absorber 😂

Any fucker asks me put it up a pylon or on the roof can go do one 🤣
Actually, I was thinking about suggesting exactly that! Up on the roof next to your weather station.

That way you'd always know exactly the environmental conditions for the plant. None of that caveman skin and eyes b.s. you keep tossing around like it's an obvious skill we all have. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom