My wheels get turning, I tell ya what. So as I am thinking about my next ferment, I was considering using some tall grasses I have in the back yard. Then I considered adding the 2 ferments together to bolster the supply of a single bottle.

I went looking for info about using more than 1 plant in a ferment plant juice. Well...it's not advised. I can't say I know this info, so struggle to understand the reasoning. Cho has way more experience at this junk and has proven success, so I just need to accept what I read from him. Here is some reasoning behind the idea of keeping a single plant ferment to enhance the overall efficacy of the ferment itself...

---
The reason for only using one plant material at a time is in the stage of fermentation, to make it as clean and efficient as possible. The microbes colonizing the plant’s surface are designed to digest it and break that specific plant down as it naturally sloughs off cells, so when you mix them with sugar and cause the juice to come through the cell boundary, these microbes do really well. However, if you have multiple plants, the microbes from one plant are really good at digesting their own plant the are only okay at digesting a different plant. When the microbes mix with multiple plants and the resulting fermentation is only so-so.

The best way to combine KNF Food made by fermenting plant juice is to mix the different KNF Food solutions right before using them. So where a recipe calls for 1:500 of KNF Food, I can put in 1:1000 of one plant material and 1:1000 of another plant material. Both of these together will make 1:500 dilution.

The other thing to note is that different parts of the plant correspond with different phases of the plant growth. In the early vegetative stage, it is best to apply KNF Food made from plant tips, as the plant starts to enter puberty, it is best to use KNF Food from flowers, and as the fruit starts to ripen a KNF Food made from fruit will have added benefit. ---

To contradict the single plant ferment theology, when making the fermented FRUIT juice, we can use 3 or more. All fruits and vegetables are great additions for this method.

@NuttyProfessor has come up with an ingenious method at doing these ferments on a larger scale. He fills up a fabric pot with mixed plant material and sets that fabric pot in a bucket. That bucket has holes drilled in it and as the juices are extracted, they seep out the bucket from the hole and the mixture is already sieved through the fabric pot. That is some forward thinking! Some farmers are doing this in 55 gallon drums. I could not fathom the potential smell or cumbersome nature of a tub of ferment.

And a another thing its a good tester for covid , if you cant smell it , go get the temperature probe :laugh: .
i give my dog sprouts every Sunday , then the whole family is tested at once ,. he stinks worse than any ferment mate :rofl: but gives you peace of mind at the end of the day hahahaaaa :yahoo:

And a another thing its a good tester for covid , if you cant smell it , go get the temperature probe :laugh: .
i give my dog sprouts every Sunday , then the whole family is tested at once ,. he stinks worse than any ferment mate :rofl: but gives you peace of mind at the end of the day hahahaaaa :yahoo:
:laugh:
Yeah, yeah, pull the other one.
Blaming the dog for the farty smells.

We have a Boston Terrier that can clear a room with some real "fur-checkers". Traveling in the RV is the worst. She gets some pretty good "hang time" on those left overs. For that reason, she is allowed to come and go as she pleases and is not solely an indoor dog.

20210303_075918.jpg

Sticking with the single plant ferment, I am going to get some more of the same plant (oxalica) to run a 2nd ferment.

We have this patch out front of our house at the little island in our loop.

Now, I have maintained a pretty low profile in the 'hood and people see me doing various home and auto repairs and yard work. When they see me out tomorrow, at 6 in the morning, pulling weeds at the island and only creating a bald spot? I am going to seal up the title of resident "nut". Then carry it away in a tote...back to the house...crazy as an outhouse mouse.

20210303_075918.jpg

Sticking with the single plant ferment, I am going to get some more of the same plant (oxalica) to run a 2nd ferment.

We have this patch out front of our house at the little island in our loop.

Now, I have maintained a pretty low profile in the 'hood and people see me doing various home and auto repairs and yard work. When they see me out tomorrow, at 6 in the morning, pulling weeds at the island and only creating a bald spot? I am going to seal up the title of resident "nut". Then carry it away in a tote...back to the house...crazy as an outhouse mouse.
ill let you be nutty the second :cheesygrinsmiley: do you ferment your trimmed leaves or use them for something else ?

The spring trimming hasnt commenced yet and vast amounts of growing leaves are not available as of yet. I do have some weird shoots that keep coming up in one patch of the yard that look like a tree but never branch.

I have been reading a touch on just fermenting over all "yard waste", including materials like leaves stripped off a branch.

I would assume you ferment them the same way as with any other ferment?
Mix equal parts of jaggery/plant material? +LABs

The spring trimming hasnt commenced yet and vast amounts of growing leaves are not available as of yet. I do have some weird shoots that keep coming up in one patch of the yard that look like a tree but never branch.

I have been reading a touch on just fermenting over all "yard waste", including materials like leaves stripped off a branch.

I would assume you ferment them the same way as with any other ferment?
Mix equal parts of jaggery/plant material? +LABs
i do my leaves the same as the sugar beets , in a large drum with leaf mold and salts, you just use rain water to cover what leaves your fermenting , no sugars at all , , you stir it daily , this stuff would burn through metal lol , its meant to be like soy sauce, the longer the stronger , i will use for veg and the sugar beets for flower
P1130225.JPG

:thumb: feeding my plants to my plants

:reading420magazine: someone has to be the alpha male :ganjamon: :laugh: i didnt know you could fart the alphabet squiggs hahhaaa
I can't remember writing that:hmmmm: must be true though. It's in black and white:hmmmm:

Sorry PP you can have your thread back:laugh:

Serious question for PP and NP. Is there a way of testing the final mineral content in both of your homemade solutions? Is there a test kit that will give you a break down of NPK and all the other minerals/elements.

I can't remember writing that:hmmmm: must be true though. It's in black and white:hmmmm:

Sorry PP you can have your thread back:laugh: you cant remember writing this either lol

Serious question for PP and NP. Is there a way of testing the final mineral content in both of your homemade solutions? Is there a test kit that will give you a break down of NPK and all the other minerals/elements.

this is the test kit :rip: lol

Just researching Oxalica and its effects on plants, i turn up oxalic acid. I am needing to do more research on this particular weed, but it seems like i have extracted a "weed killer".

Preliminary readings are showing that oxalic acids foster a great environment for pathogenic fungi that lead to "plant cell death".

This is fascinating but scary stuff. I can only conclude I need to research more on the toxicity of the "acid" itself, and perhaps finding a test subject to administer the concoction to.

In the mean time I am going to redirect my weed ferments to another plant species...like those "grasses" I was mentioning.

...oxalic acid...who knew?

Just researching Oxalica and its effects on plants, i turn up oxalic acid. I am needing to do more research on this particular weed, but it seems like i have extracted a "weed killer".

Preliminary readings are showing that oxalic acids foster a great environment for pathogenic fungi that lead to "plant cell death".

This is fascinating but scary stuff. I can only conclude I need to research more on the toxicity of the "acid" itself, and perhaps finding a test subject to administer the concoction to.

In the mean time I am going to redirect my weed ferments to another plant species...like those "grasses" I was mentioning.

...oxalic acid...who knew?

not me and i still do not :hmmmm:, i cant get that sort of stuff into my head , ill never understand ,its would be like you would have to explain to a ten year old , or maybe less ,6 year old :laugh: so its hit or miss with a lot of things i did in the past , some stupid mistakes along the way , ill keep it semi basic or ill never sleep again lol

"Weed killer" expounded upon. NCBI is a very informative site and they have very lengthy reads regarding almost any topic considered "biological".

I pulled this snippet from a paper regarding "oxalic acid and plants".

---Bateman [7] showed that oxalic acid acts synergistically with polygalacturonases, by lowering the pH and providing optimal conditions for the activity of the enzymes, and by chelating cell wall Ca2+ thereby providing polygalacturonases easy access to cell wall pectin. Oxalic acid interferes with defence mechanisms of host plants by inhibiting the activities of polyphenol oxidases [5] by suppressing the oxidative burst [10] and by manipulating the host redox environment [11]. It is an elicitor of programmed cell death in plants and responsible for induction of apoptotic-like features in the plant during disease development [12]. Also it causes wilting symptoms in sunflowers [13], and Guimaraes [14] showed that oxalate production by S. sclerotiorum deregulates guard cells during infection leading to foliar dehydration.---

There it is. I think the test subject will be a random plant somewhere on the property, probably another weed. Actually i have a couple cannabis seedlings growing. The plants last year dropped a seed or 3. ;) There is no intent to grow outdoors this year, so let the testing commence.

Thank you @013. You rock!

Kudzu? Where abouts is that plant at? I like you getting my brain running. We got bamboo shoots at the river, but we don't get there very often. We live on the other side w/o bamboo. When we do get there again i am collecting soil and shoots. ;) ...

Back
Top Bottom