Pink's New Grow Room: Perpetual Fun and Games

Update October 24th
Today the plants in the Mom Tent and the Flowering Tent have been blooming for a month.
The Mom Tent is an experiment - trying a different nutrient. All I'm putting in this tent is Flora Nova. The bloom part is now being fed; before that, it was the grow formula. These are very expensive to buy, but in the end it would be cheaper, since I'm only buying two bottles instead of like 17 different ones.
So far, the experiment is a success. I've noticed that the PH is more stable than before, and that the plants are thriving. If anything, these Mother Plants are doing better than the plants in the big tent, which presently is being fed GH combination nutes, with the three main nutes and so many supplements it makes my head spin. The final judgment will be the harvest and how they smoke.
To explain about why I'm flowering my Mom Plants. I'm interested in how these plants, which are five different varieties will yield and how they smoke. If I'm happy with those results, the plant will be revegged. If not, go on to the next one. I've got a lot of different varieties in seeds, all feminine. So many seeds, so little time!

The Flowering Tent is very fecund at the moment. You can almost hear the buds growing. I have to get on a stool to see the top. This is how it looks from my viewpoint before I hop up:

I planted six plants in the tent, four of them Peppermint Kush and one Blue Dream and one Expert Haze.
One of the Peppermint Kush's died. I saw its skeleton this afternoon in the back of the tent. Its neighbors devoured its space and light, and grew right over the top of it.
So now I'm rethinking six plants. I'm thinking four would be sufficient. And I'm also thinking of scrogging it lower to the tray so I won't have so much wasted space under the canopy. I was cognizant that it would take a grow or so in the big tent before I had it all down pat. I'm also hoping that my journal will provide a resource to anyone who stumbles upon it and want to grow or are growing hydro.

The exhaust system my husband devised is really doing its job well. When I had the grow under the stairs, it was vented out into the room. A month into flowering, even with the carbon scrubber, you could smell weed. Now even in the room where the tents are, no smell. I have an Ona Gel jar sitting on top the Mom Tent, in the path of the exhaust from that tent. So it smells nice in there, but not enough fragrance to make the weed smell and taste like Ona Gel. You cannot smell marijuana. Now I need to go outside by the exhaust and see how that smells. LOL.

You do love a crowded house!
Yeah. About that,I thought I could do six plants in the new tent. Now I’m thinking 4. And scrog lower. ?

Four should be able to fill that tent edge to edge without a problem!
I suppose I should have known that plants will take the space you give them. Four plants will do a good scrog in this tent. And I will scrog them lower so the vertical space will be utilized to its potential.
I also believe I could do it with one plant. But that would be perilous if the plant had problems.
each plant is now as big as a tree. I’ve defoliated the tents, and there is a bunch of space below the canopy that is just dead space.

You would also need a pot big enough to handle the roots of a long veg.

That's not dead space, that's the area where the plants have their amazingly thick trunks and stems that bring the sugars to the buds you want on top!
Hey thanks for replying! So I did it right? Lol. The plants are healthy and the colas developing are the biggest I’ve ever grown.
The plants are in 5 gallon fabric pots. Should I move to 7 gallon pots or larger if I grow four plants?

You did it right! It may feel like wasted space because you clean out everything but the stems, but if you flowered them shorter your buds wouldn't be as big.

If you want big plants, you need to have room for the roots, so 7 gallons should be fine. If you were only growing one then you would probably have to go 15 considering how long it would take to scrog it out to the walls.

You did it right! It may feel like wasted space because you clean out everything but the stems, but if you flowered them shorter your buds wouldn't be as big.

If you want big plants, you need to have room for the roots, so 7 gallons should be fine. If you were only growing one then you would probably have to go 15 considering how long it would take to scrog it out to the walls.
Today I took a good look at the buds in the big tent. Each of the five plants has all these branches that are growing fat, that are bigger than anything I’ve grown before.Lol I guess I’ll stop worrying and love the bomb (early 60s ref for those too young to remember Peter Sellers).
I‘ve also been sitting on myself so I won’t start counting the harvest. Que sera sera.

Update November 1, 2020
It is frosty in the big tent:

Today, after topping off all three reservoirs and replenishing nutrients, I examined all the plants and their colas, and their proximity to light. Some light defoliation later, I took these photos:

After a quick examination of the plants and a look at the calendar, Thanksgiving week (U.S.) or thereabouts will be harvest time for the big tent. The Mom tent will be two weeks later. Of course, I don't look at the calendar to decide harvest time. Instead, by using my jeweler's loupe and/or my digital microscope, I examine the buds and the trichomes, and look for cloudy and amber trichs. I have been harvesting mine while many of the trichs are still clear, but I'm going to go back to my old standard, 40 percent amber. So, who knows? This is week six of flowering for the flowering tent. I'm thinking 9 to 10 weeks should do it.
Am I the only one who enjoys hanging out with the plants? I go down to the grow room several times a day, often just to stand there and stare adoringly over them and soak in the ambience. Sometimes I even do it while straight. LOL.
Today the smell of the plants is so soothing, at least it is to me. They are extremely sticky, too. It has to be the light and the extra space the new setup has. I cannot wait to smoke these. Wow.

Going back to 40% amber could add another week or two over previous runs I would think. And I often go into the backyard on the weekends to admire the plants. We all probably do that :).
I'm glad I'm not the only one. LOL
On the length of the grow, I kind of figured that would be the case. i need more amber for a sleep aid.
I've liked the way the 40 percent amber made me feel; except when I overdid it on some Mazari Grape and ended up in the bathroom throwing up and having dry heaves.
I do the same thing if I drink alcohol in excess. Nowadays, weed doesn't do that so much because my tolerance is higher since growing my own. But I'm still going to be careful.
I'm building a list of strains I have grown, along with smoke reports and pictures. When I get enough down, I'll post it.
It's fun to watch the different strains grow. I can tell which are more aggressive, which are high producers, and those that are difficult to grow in my present setup. And the smoke reports will help people decide which they want to grow.

Update on Grow and Some Issues
First, I will show you pictures of the flowering in the big tent:

Only five plants made it to the end, as one died. It was in the back and was starved of light.
Problems:
I should only have planted four plants; I'll know that for the future. Also, just below the colas and top buds, are lots of buds below that aren't getting enough light. I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been defoliating lightly, but I may have to chop out a bunch of foliage to get those buds to harden up. Anybody have to deal with this in a big tent?
Sometimes I feel I'm trying things out of the blue without knowing if it will work, and as a social scientist, I know that you have to control experiments.

Now for the Mom tent, currently flowering mothers that will be revegged after harvest. First, pictures:

Problems:
First, it is a crowded tent. But that is really OK. I'm trying out these strains before putting them in the big tent:
  • Triangle Skywalker Kush
  • Expert Gorilla Glue
  • Fire OG
  • Harlequin *This is the plant that foxtailed.
  • The fifth plant is Expert Haze. I have one of these in the big tent, but felt it prudent to put a mother in the Mom tent.
I'm going to have enough clones to outfit anyone in Missouri. LOL.
Other than the obvious, here are some problems:

I think you call it foxtailing, but one of the plants is outdoing all the others in pushing out more leaves than bud. What can be done? I don't know, but I removed some leaves to try getting the buds to fill out some.

Discussion
I would grade my current grow as a C+. The wasted buds below the canopy is, I think, something that might take care of itself if I limited the plants to four. I'm finding that I spend at least two hours most days working on the grow. So it is good that I'm available. LOL.
I'm not happy with the back of the tent, where the sixth plant died and the foliage is crazy full. I'm limited here by the fact only a few inches separates the tent from the back wall. I need to bring it forward a little bit. The sides of the tent are easy to access. It is my wish to make optimum use of the tent space, while harvesting as much as possible.
I welcome comments and suggestions, etc., and my ego is not in danger. So say it! Thanks for reading,

They look terrific! I'd give it a lot higher grade than you did but you're the one living it :).
I think you call it foxtailing, but one of the plants is outdoing all the others in pushing out more leaves than bud. What can be done? I don't know, but I removed some leaves to try getting the buds to fill out some.
Foxtailing is when new calyxes start growing out of the existing buds. It's either genetics or caused by light and/or heat stress up top. A large number of fan leaves is mostly down to the genetics of the plant (some phenotypes will have more fans than others), but an excess of nitrogen in flower can also do that.

Feel free to remove fan leaves that are blocking lower buds or airflow, especially those below the canopy.
Also, just below the colas and top buds, are lots of buds below that aren't getting enough light. I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been defoliating lightly, but I may have to chop out a bunch of foliage to get those buds to harden up.
You have a real jungle in there, and it's a result of how you thin after stretch. I am #nolarf, so I only keep buds that are on the top third of the stem after stretch. And during flowering I keep going back under and pulling off whatever grows down below. Folks who make hash or have a press will save all the larf for that, but I don't want to trim any of it, so off it comes during flower.

They look terrific! I'd give it a lot higher grade than you did but you're the one living it :).

Foxtailing is when new calyxes start growing out of the existing buds. It's either genetics or caused by light and/or heat stress up top. A large number of fan leaves is mostly down to the genetics of the plant (some phenotypes will have more fans than others), but an excess of nitrogen in flower can also do that.

Feel free to remove fan leaves that are blocking lower buds or airflow, especially those below the canopy.

You have a real jungle in there, and it's a result of how you thin after stretch. I am #nolarf, so I only keep buds that are on the top third of the stem after stretch. And during flowering I keep going back under and pulling off whatever grows down below. Folks who make hash or have a press will save all the larf for that, but I don't want to trim any of it, so off it comes during flower.
I do use all the trim. I was up in the tent a little bit ago, and each of the plants has some branches covered in little buds under the main colas. And the colas are big and heavy. They are bent over.
I would love to describe the smell of this tent, but I can’t. I have a bad head cold and lost my senses of smell and taste.
Yes, I‘m being tested for COVID-19 tomorrow. I was tested more than a week ago and was negative.

I’m feeling pretty good. No fever, no shortness of breath. It’s like a bad head cold. The big tent appears to be winding down to finish. Bud hairs are turning darker and developing curl. I’ll be monitoring the trichs.
I have a question. If I pull the colas and leave the underdeveloped buds there for a few days, would they be likely to develop more?

Update
According to my calendar, next week I should be harvesting. But according to my jeweler's loupe, not so fast.
Come to my garden and see what's growing there.
First, see the plants:
The flowering tent -

And now the Mom tent:

And now see the trichs in the flowering tent:

As you can see, not ready. Which is OK. I'm thinking another three weeks.
Or so. I will monitor the trichs.

Back
Top Bottom