Pinktiger's Next Adventure: Can She Double Her Yield With Two Tents?

I have some I bought in 2016
3 gallon are large enough? If so, I think I'll get eight of them, and then I can have one set ready for transplanting into the pots when I harvest.

Update May 30, Thursday

Flowering Tent

So I have monster plants. Even with just four in the tent, I have to tame them repeatedly and keep them under control. I've been low stress training (LST) the branches all along, and today I did some more of that, plus defoliation. Yes, I know it has not been 21 days (the 'normal' time to defoliate after the beginning of 12/12), but these are monsters, So today I removed all the extra fan leaves, small shoots that were lost in the undergrowth, and stuff under the canopy that I could reach. I filled a five gallon bucket halfway with these. Still don't know what to do with them, so I'm holding them back on the bar while I ponder.
Now the plants have more light penetration. And the bud sites are more exposed to light.
I bought a light meter and now I have to figure out how to use it.

Here are pics:

Cloning tent
The clones are also monsters. I upped the light percentage to 20 percent veg, keeping 10 percent bloom for now. The Mazari Grape clones have huge roots and "rootlets" and are sprouting new leaves. Everything looks fine. I'm just really sad that I have to kill four of them. Next time I'm going to take my chances and just root four. I can't take the guilt. I feel like Hitler.

Here are updated pics on the growth and the roots:

Update, June 5, 2019

Flowering Tent

This weekend we changed the reservoir in the flowering tent. The temp is staying under 81, (I had to take a fan out because of space limits) and the ph is adjusted to 5.85. PPM is 1100.
I am using GH Flora Series and all the supplements I could find. LOL. Yesterday a minor issue occured, but if I had not noticed it in time, I would have lost part or all of this grow. Somehow the water was shut off. But last night I found this out and fixed it, and today you would not know it. Last night we had droopy drawers all over.
This is the third week of flower, ending on Sunday. Bud development is wonderful. I've been bending branches for days, and I've managed to keep the plants from touching the lights until today. I'm going to work on this tonight. Pray for me.

Clones

Sunday I exterminated three clones. One was a Mazari Grape and the other two were WWXBB. I tried not to feel like Sophie making her choice, but it was hard.
The next day, the clones went wild, and today I have five very strong and growing clones. I already fimmed the two MG that are going into the flowering tent next grow. The others are lagging a bit. The MG in the back is being saved for an experiment. I'm going to try making my own feminized seeds. More on that later, OK?

Cloning Photos

Flowering Tent Photos

My Observations

The Mazari Grape is a much stronger and more resilient plant than the WWXBB that I'm growing. This makes it easy to grow. Once these plants get going, as long as they have the water, air, light and nutrients they require, they grow, well, like weeds. I know many people can't devote the time and care necessary for hydroponics, but it actually only takes a few minutes each day once it is going. I can also state that a hydro grower must keep certain equipment on hand, if needed: water pumps, air pumps, an extra light or two, timers, and carbon filters. This will save a mishap from becoming a tragedy. If I lived in the country like I used to, I would also have a backup generator ready to go in case of power outages.

Flower tent looks great, hope they're done stretching now.
Good save on the water issue! That's why we keep checking on our plants even when things seem like they're going smoothly. I can't believe you're not scraping the lights yet. Hopefully being three weeks into flower it will be all bud production and no more upward growth :).
Thanks, guys!
@InTheShed, I had no idea these plants would get this big, so fast. But the trees out back that get the runoff from each reservoir have grown this past year at least six feet each. So this is powerful stuff.
And yes, checking all the time is so important. I'd be living with them sometimes, I'm so into them - if I could. LOL.
@Pennywise and @InTheShed, I really do hope these are done with the vertical stretch. But I've noticed in the last three days, even with the water issues, they are bulking up now. Next week I'm going to get rid of a few more fans, those that are obviously done with their work, and I will also be upping the nutes a hair according to the schedule I'm using from GH.
I have a comment, also. People are always saying they use less nutrient than the schedule calls for. I've always stayed right with it, and have beakers in various sizes to ensure I'm giving them exactly what they are supposed to have. My plants seem fine. I'm wondering if soil growing is different in this regard. @Emilya, I notice you have grown in every medium! What say you on the difference between hydro and soil? And anyone else, of course, please chime in. Thanks.

@Emilya, I notice you have grown in every medium! What say you on the difference between hydro and soil? And anyone else, of course, please chime in. Thanks.
well, I failed miserably with my experiment in hydro, and I didn't come away real impressed with the amount of work needed, the moving of all that freaking water all the time, and I never was satisfied with the results in my soilless grows that had to depend on a nutrient company's mix to make my plants do the right thing. You can definitely get fast growth in one of those artificial systems, but if something goes wrong it can go wrong very fast and be catastrophic. I realized that by supplying nutes to a thriving plant early in veg and in soil, I could get just about the same rapid growth as a hydro setup would provide, and it was a whole lot less work. Also, problems didn't develop as fast and it was a lot easier to recover from a mistake in soil. Then I went organic and got totally away from the nutrient companies and this is when I realized that this natural way, in minerally rich soil, was definitely the way to go. I have not looked back since. My grows are much easier now, and my cost of production has plummeted as compared to a synthetic artificial soilless grow.

If anyone is curious about my cloning method and does not understand what I did, let me know and I'll answer questions. But I am shocked that this method produced roots in five days. FIVE DAYS!!!

Hand shoots up over here.

Five Days?

Edit- I actually haven’t read back yet to see what you did, so no real questions yet just general shock.

Hand shoots up over here.

Five Days?

Edit- I actually haven’t read back yet to see what you did, so no real questions yet just general shock.
Hey, I was also surprised, because before I was getting roots only on half of my cuttings, and that was up to 14 days. The method that @Emilya uses was so similar to the setup I have for growing seedlings and cuttings, so I decided, why not? It is basically just a DWC kit, a 5-7 gallon one, with collars on the net pots. The basic difference was cutting the bottoms off the net pots. And then I found I had to dip the stem just barely into the water. After that, it was phenomenal. The leaves on the cuttings didn't even turn brown and fall off. And now, I have plants with roots that are threatening to take over the world. LOL.
Oh, and it is not a bubbler with spray nozzles like Emilya uses with excellent success. It is just relying on the two large air stones and misting several times a day for humidity.

well, I failed miserably with my experiment in hydro, and I didn't come away real impressed with the amount of work needed, the moving of all that freaking water all the time, and I never was satisfied with the results in my soilless grows that had to depend on a nutrient company's mix to make my plants do the right thing. You can definitely get fast growth in one of those artificial systems, but if something goes wrong it can go wrong very fast and be catastrophic. I realized that by supplying nutes to a thriving plant early in veg and in soil, I could get just about the same rapid growth as a hydro setup would provide, and it was a whole lot less work. Also, problems didn't develop as fast and it was a lot easier to recover from a mistake in soil. Then I went organic and got totally away from the nutrient companies and this is when I realized that this natural way, in minerally rich soil, was definitely the way to go. I have not looked back since. My grows are much easier now, and my cost of production has plummeted as compared to a synthetic artificial soilless grow.
Yeah. That is why it is so important to find out what works for you. I have gone through a lot of trial and error, and poor decisions, etc. But I feel for me it was necessary to get that out of the way. To learn a skill and be proficient takes about 10,000 hours. I'm not there yet!!! I liked hydro from the get go, because I have grown in soil outside and not been happy with the result. Something always got it, or it turned out to be a male. Long story. LOL. I was concerned about soil inside, because I didn't feel competent to do well in soil. I had no idea how hard hydro is. Or how much a time and money commitment it would require. But I'm there now, and so it is OK. LOL. Thanks for replying and for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

I keep upping the nutes until the leaves tell me to stop. If the plant looks great then why leave anything on the table in the end by underfeeding?

Sometimes less is less ;).
Oh, yeah. Less is usually more! My first grows were terrible, partially because I didn't follow the instructions. My nutrient mix was way over strong. I didn't change the res often enough. But now, no biggy. I follow the instructions to the letter on my nutrient mix, and then double check all the time to make sure the water is OK. A dip in ph tells me the water is in need of being changed. As long as it fights me on the ph and tries to make it high, then I know the water is still good. And this is between the nute changes and res changes. I change the water once weekly anyway. But I'm retired and I stay home, and I can take the time to do this.
I realize that people are really into "organic" and natural, and all that. But to me, hydroponics is about creating a nutrient mix that works. I am not into organic hydro. The base nutrients are applied sparingly, according to the schedule, and in the proper order (very important) so the nutrients don't lock each other out. Now that I have been adding flavor enhancers, the result is a smoke that tastes different in a good way. My husband says it smells like sage. I think it tastes fruity but savory. Sometimes it is almost like perfume. It is interesting to try to identify all the tastes and smells.

Back
Top Bottom