Poor, CFL, Stealth, Maybe a Little Luck?

Thanks guys, I probably won't post any more pics tonight cause of the shock factor. The next grow I do I'll definetly be building a real box. Something that has a door on the SIDE lol. It's a pain in the ass to do everything from above.

I don't plan on letting them get big ;)
A week or 2 of vegging more and the lights switch to 12/12. Why am I doing it that way? Because I won't have to spend money on vegging nutrients, just flowering :grinjoint:

DFW-guy, good to know. We are about to use fox farms for the first time. So you water less frequently? The pro-mix is light and airy, doesn't retain water long, so I can do daily waterings.

Pericodaking, good info bro, thinking I will end up mixing the pro-mix with the fox farms, along with some worm castings and guano.

^don't forget about the stretch, I've had plants that vegged for 6 days end up being 2ft in the end and were almost root bound in 5 gal buckets!

^don't forget about the stretch, I've had plants that vegged for 6 days end up being 2ft in the end and were almost root bound in 5 gal buckets!
Damn, well these plants are going to have to deal with what they are given lol. I'll be LSTing so I'm not to scared of height. My next grow will be much better in every way, as a friend said he'll "sponsor" me w/ his said amount of "commission". But only if he has confidence I can do it..
Well I suppose I did a good job transplanting as neither plant ever stopped growing :yummy: In a week or 2 I'll be ordering one more 2700k 30watt cfl. My light setup for flowering would be two 2700k 30watt and one 4200k 30watt. Would that be good or should I use three 2700k's and forget about the 4200k(full spectrum).
As of now I have all 3 spectrum's in :peace:

Marie day 10 morning
day_10_morning.JPG

Elsie day 15 morning
day_15_morning.JPG

:yummy:

the plants will use the 2700k lights more efficiently. the full spectrum daylights will work, as the do contain the red orange spectrum the plants needs at this stage but not as effectively as the soft whites. in the end go with what your budget permits. IMO if your gonna use cfls i'd invest in the 42 watts cfls as they have the highest lumens to wattage ratio, and maybe think about getting a 150w hps it's only about $70 and think about how much you've already spent on cfls...the 150 puts off 16,000 lumens with very little heat.

Quick question right here guys, Based on my size limitations (pot and box), do you think it would be better to veg until I can top the plant, or forget about topping and go to 12/12 in a day or two. I realize it'll take the plant a while to get into the flowering stage, but if I went to 12/12 now I'd be giving it flowering nutes after it's been in flowering cycle for a week or so; instead of giving it nutes right when I switch to 12/12.

Here's what I've spent on this grow so far, just a lil FYI.
Light fixture + cord + shipping = $10.00
Lights + shipping = $15.00
Pots = $4.00
Soil = $10.00
Perlite = $4.00
Spray bottle = $0.99
Water = $3.00
Wall timer = $4.00
Total = $50.99

Everything else I had on hand.
I would love to have an HPS, but it's not going to happen on this grow. The next one though has a much stronger probability for it's use.

^you can top now, and still throw it in 12/12 don't worry they'll still grow, there's nothing to topping, just get some scissors, washem and clean with alcohol and just snip off the growth tip, the plant will do the rest! good luck bro! :ganjamon:

I want to top the plants but they're just so short! Elsie's working on her 4th leaf set but she's still only about one and a half inches tall! I feel like I wouldn't be able to cut it in the right spot is all...

Good job DFW ! thanks for stopping by my journal as well bro!

I want to top the plants but they're just so short! Elsie's working on her 4th leaf set but she's still only about one and a half inches tall! I feel like I wouldn't be able to cut it in the right spot is all...

at the top most point of the plant if the side shoot are even somewhat developed you can top, put up a pic from the side and i'l' MS paint where you need to cut:surf:

After further examination I think I found where I cut. But I'll still take you up on your offer :)
This is the best and most "in focus" shot I could get. Damn this phone..

Edit: I've raised the lights an inch higher for two reasons.
1. My $1 thermometer (accurate to within 3 degrees of actual temp) was reading just under 90degrees
2. Maybe the plants will stretch a tad more. I don't want tall lanky plants, but I'm getting tired of 1 1/2" tall and 5" wide.
day_15_side_shot.JPG

Hmm I just noticed a a bit of light green spots all over the leaves on Marie and a bit of light green discoloring on Elsie. The only new element I've put in is the new perlite. Could that have affected the ph for the initial watering? I'm thinking that or the babies just had a bit of a heat stroke. The lights are about 4-5 inches above the plants now that I pulled them up a bit. Like I said before the thermometer was reading 90 degrees

Hmm I just noticed a a bit of light green spots all over the leaves on Marie and a bit of light green discoloring on Elsie. The only new element I've put in is the new perlite. Could that have affected the ph for the initial watering? I'm thinking that or the babies just had a bit of a heat stroke. The lights are about 4-5 inches above the plants now that I pulled them up a bit. Like I said before the thermometer was reading 90 degrees

Hard to tell for sure without seeing pics... ;)

[THREAD=81275]You may want to check this very helpful thread.[/THREAD]

I can tell you that perlite usually does not effect PH levels in soil any significant amount.

Could be the heat, thought if the plants are too hot they will usually look a little wilted. For the CFL's to actually burn the leaves they almost have to be touching them... Here's a pic of some leaves that were burned as a result of a CFL being too close...
cflLeafBurn.jpg

(This plant, Jeri Main, got burned by the light while she was still in the temporary grow cabinet, I installed a "Y" adapeter and after I closed the closet it spun around to where one of the bulbs was about 1/2" from the leaves, oops.)

The amount of change in the leaves is so subtle that my crap phone most likely will not show it. I'm willing to bet it's just that the temp in the box got a little high.
I took a pic of the most noticeable thing.
day_15_possible_problem.JPG

This one is enhanced to make it easier to see.
day_15_possible_problem_highlight.jpg

I know the odds are my plants will do just fine, I'm just documenting everything lol.

Here are some better side shots now that the plant has had some growth since the morning :)
EDIT: Comparing these shots to the side shot from earlier this morning Elsie has some noticeable vertical growth! :)
Anouther edit: Just for informative purposes I have 2 exhaust fans (80mm + 120mm) putting out an estimated 120CFM. My grow box empty is 3.56 cubic feet. I have 4 inlets on the bottom of the box and you can put your hand in front of any of them and feel the air rush threw your fingers. Ok maybe "rush" is a bit of an exaggeration lol. The only problem is that the inlet air in the day is about 76-78 degrees. The CFL's I have aren't energystar certified or anything, and they do put off some heat.
day_15_side_shot2.JPG

and turned 90 degrees
day_15_sideshot_3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom