Quantum board help

sticking my 2 cents in here.

firstly my experience is cob so may not apply the same. it is similar tho.

go with a dimming driver and dimmer. so much better once you learn how to use it.
all the quantum kits i have seen are recommending double the driver or more for a given area than what i have seen work and have used in cob. probably twice the kit too. bigger is better than too little tho, but i take those recommendations with a fair bit of salt.
seems a lot of extra expense and energy consumption for the given outcome.

i know it is not the same, but i run this light in a space a touch under 4 x 4 and have zero complaints.

not crapping on anyone's business, but i look at it like nutes. none of us really go over 50% of recommended bottle strength. nute companies want to sell us more, lighting companies have probably taken the same cue to a degree.

full

i'm running about 200 watts or less on the cobs alone and haven't gone above 75% dimming yet. (25% head room left). the burple adds some wattage but don't let that distract you. it is a ramp up / down light and only runs a couple hours a day.

ohhhh
I like the strips!
far red in there?

yes. very targeted blue and red spectrum. the pic is demonstration only. i run the burple as part of the total light schedule, but run it alone before and after the main light comes on / off. have no science to back it, but it works.

also have a build with just the red. both run 3000 / 3500K cobs and are built as a full spectrum light. do not recommend running the red light in veg. i run the burple version thru all stages. the burple version is my personal preference. the red version is for the flower fanatics. i also build a 2700 / 3000k light with the red alone as a dedicated flower rig.

full disclosure : i work with led lighting and have built and sold these locally for a few years. no i will not sell these on this board, nor am i here for that reason.

edit: nothing here is from a kit. i build from scratch. i do recommend timber grow lights on this board and encourage anyone to go that route. i do like the quantum and have built a couple strip versions of that light.

mostly i recommend doing research and diy. you always learn more and wind up doing better as a result.

@Stunned

do not be afraid. growmau5 videos etc are the shit. have never done nothing different than his stuff. ledgardner is another great source for diy. all the same principles wiring etc apply to both cob and quantum. the most important stuff is to get your math right. it's all the same.

i only build for a small subset of folks who are too old or fearful of diving in themselves, or who are willing to fork out the extra for a pre-built solution. btw: you won't get rich doing this shit lol.

Nice lighting rig @bluter. Very nice.

thanks man. that's actually my smallest base rig. i build bigger ones for others but don't have the space / resources for a larger one myself lol :rofl:

My problem is that I'm terrified of electricity, so DIY isn't an option for me
I do have a buddy who is an electrician though and I'm arranging for his services to build for me next time

edit: @Stunned

most electricians don't get this stuff entirely. led works on different principles than any other lighting form and uses completely different drivers. just make certain he is comfortable with the concepts. younger and newer guys have a tendency to do better with it.

yeah no
I got zapped really bad when I was 10
it's a phobia in my head that I can't get over
I'll get someone to do it for me

just so you know : my dad has 50 + yrs working as an engineer in mechanical and electrical systems. we used to do custom work for all mechanical and electrical in commercial buildings. he tried to "help" me with my first build but i tossed him from the project as he would have burnt the whole place down minutes after completing the light.

bottom line : make sure your guy knows what he is talking about.

that said, it is pretty simple and not rocket science by any stretch. just different.

@Stunned

that is completely cool. as are you for defining your knowledge base and sticking to your comfort zone.
so many things would be better in this world if others took that stance.

I have been looking at getting quantum boards. I looked at boards ready to go, Kits, DIY kits and sourcing from alibaba 367.00 with shipping to be determined. as well as Ebay. Doing it piecemeal is 240 for 4 boards, 140 for heat sink and 130 for driver then i will need wagos solid core wire and hangars. I figure I can get it done for 525.00

You might actually get away without the heat sinks. If you've got a decent airflow in you grow space, I'd give it a try without them as long as your running smaller panels. They really just don't put out much heat.... I often think the heatsinks on my 300w panels are just hanging onto the heat longer.

You might actually get away without the heat sinks. If you've got a decent airflow in you grow space, I'd give it a try without them as long as your running smaller panels. They really just don't put out much heat.... I often think the heatsinks on my 300w panels are just hanging onto the heat longer.

you can do a strip version of the quantums and easily run without the heat sinks. a member here runs the exact setup. you can source any chipset in a strip version that any of the quantums run, and it's possible to source prebuilt aluminum channel that the strips just slide into for painless diy install. it is the same system i use for the 5050 burples i run.

the only reason the quantums use heatsinks is because they are boarded together. otherwise it is not necessary.

Hi I have the new ones 3000k... I can private message you the details if you want!!! That's 8 or 9 days under them with there first nutrients feed
IMG_20181226_212952_969.jpg
IMG_20181226_212952_973.jpg

I have been looking at getting quantum boards. I looked at boards ready to go, Kits, DIY kits and sourcing from alibaba 367.00 with shipping to be determined. as well as Ebay. Doing it piecemeal is 240 for 4 boards, 140 for heat sink and 130 for driver then i will need wagos solid core wire and hangars. I figure I can get it done for 525.00

Beware of the alibaba, ebay etc. sellers that are not authorized sellers of HLG.

Atreum LED have some good board+heatsink combo deals, and they have been tested by LEDgardener and they have the same light output as HLG's boards.

You might actually get away without the heat sinks

Only if you run them very soft or use the boards with few diodes.

Running diode dense boards like the 288s without heatsink is not a good idea since you have to run them way too soft or end up overheating the diodes, which means the efficiency and lifetime decreases exponentially to the amount of energy put in.

No matter how soft you run them, at least 35% of the energy is converted to heat.

Heatsink is the primary source of cooling for all LED lights, those that have fans use the fans as secondary cooling.
It's very important to use heatsinks so the boards stay under their rated max temperature, and one should of course strive towards keeping them under the performance temperature.

Back
Top Bottom