Quix's Corner - Puddle-o-Green - NL & Bag Seed - Indoor Soil Experiment

So the whole point of journaling a grow, is, well its pretty self explanitory. And I realize I've done a pretty poor job of it, with the exception of posting pictures and a few decent posts. Thats really not enough for those who are new, and trying to gain some insight into how to grow cannabis. As my summer grow comes to an end, I'm already working on the next run. I'll most likely start a new journal for this coming grow, and promise to be more detailed regarding my watering, feeding, lighting strategies, topping fimming and so on.

A bit about this grow....

I basically have 2 mothers. One is actually more like an aunt, a sshe was never clonned. If I HAD clonned her, it would have changed the entire dynamic of this grow. Here's why...

Mom #1 carried the hermie gene. She and one of the clones popped nuts on me around week 5. Like a ninja, they managed to pollinate the better portion of the grow. Their smell is like pine, lemon and spice, and the nugs are much more airy...( a bit more on that in a minute)

Now, Mom#2, or Auntie, Is a wonderful plant. Her smell and stature are of a completely different pheno.
She smells like a mix of pine, fruit and chocolate! She is also a bit shorter than her sister, and her nugs are far more dense.
Being that #1 was getting too tall and growing into the HPS, I was forced to supercrop her 2 tallest colas, to keep her height relatively similar to that of #2. Somehow I believe that the suppercropping performed on her, has contributed to a signifigant stunting. Her buds are airy, and lack size. There is one, maybe two colas on her that continue to fatten up some, but the rest seem to be in a state of suspended animation.

I realize that the seeds from Mom #1, and her clones, will likely tend to hermie. But if I understand this correctly, I believe that the seeds from #2 should just be a feminized back cross of the original mother from which my first seeds came. That will be fine with me, as she is a beautiful, hardy plant, with a lovely smell and very dense buds. The "father", Mom #1, is coincidentally very potent, too, and should make for an interesting mix.

Now, for the next grow, I still have much to work on, but here are my thoughts.

My environment is about as dialed in as it's going to get, but I may still work on extracting just a bit more heat from the upper levels of the space.

I have never payed any attention to PH, as my tap water has served me well so far. This doesn't mean I shouldn't be monitoring PH, and the TA of what I'm feeding my plants. I plan to het a decent PH meter and start adjusting if things go funny.

I think I would like to try a single plant, maybe an auto, in 5 gallons of soil, instead of 3 gal. Root mass is directly related to yield, and Im not satisfied with my current numbers/sq. ft./watts.

Finally, here are the new strains I'll be trying over the next few grows....(In no particular order)

1.) The stinky back-cross of this NL strain....

2.) Blueberry Gum-Fem-....G-13 Labs

3.) Bubbalicious-2 Reg-....

4) Jilly Bean-1Fem & 1 Reg....TGA Subcool

5.) Strawberry Diesel-1 Fem & 1 Reg....Holy Smoke

6.) Fruit Automatic....Dinafem Seeds (Freebie)

8.) Mystery freebies-X2-Fem from the Single seed Centre

Obviously, if I get any males from the regular seeds, I will collect and store as much pollen as I can for future crossing. You dont have to be a scientist to breed cannabis, just to stabilize it lol! And as a small personal grower, I'm not too concerned with stbilization of a strain, just that it will give me meds!

Anyway, see the next post for pictures of the plants today, much love and respect to all of you who have made this a great experience, and those who have helped me through times of discouragement and frustration!:peacetwo:

P81800061.JPG

P81800041.JPG

P81800021.JPG

P8180001.JPG

P8180014.JPG

P81800101.JPG

P81800071.JPG

P8180019.JPG

P81800081.JPG

P8180009.JPG

Hey Marley! And :welcome: to the end of my grow!

Thanks for the kind words bro. I've seen you around here since I started on :420: Glad to meet ya!

I really wanted to go with the SC, it sounds like my kind of strain. Im glad I didn't, if thats true about the only good ones being clone only.
I went with the SD because I was able to order both fem and reg, and because its profile fits my space. Plus I love Diesel, well, Sour diesel anyway...Who is DP and what is KKSC? And what have you heard about the SD?

Shit, sorry for all the acronyms man haha..

KKSC= Kyle Kushmans Strawberry Cough
DP = Dutch Passion

Good luck pheno hunting those SD's, I hope you find a nice Strawberry one. I've heard some negative things about Germ rates, but who knows if the grower even knew wtf they were doing.

:peace:

Hey Quix.....nice summary!:high-five:

Don't feel like you didn't do a good job, because in my eyes you were inventive and never gave up!. You almost willed things to happen and they did. For as helping others...you have. One thing that was a glaring deed by you was your hunt for better ways of doing things. I have really enjoyed your grow. :yahoo:

I have to agree with OMM and SuKa you have a great journal and a good harvest coming up. :welldone::goodjob::thumb:

Someone once told me don't sell yourself short. IMO you didn't get the 5 stars for just putting up pics.

Ah you guys are all too kind. Thank you for the kind words fellas! Maybe it's just my opinion of things. I left out so many things, like when I fed, how much, and my reasoning behind it. I left out WHAT I fed and when, and why. I left out the little things that make a journal informative, rather that just entertaining. I'm not ashamed of my journal by any stretch, I just think I could have included more information, making it more useful to others, is all.

Its hard to find time, between work, 2 kids and a wife, a large dog who seems to need about as much attention as the kids, parent teacher confrences, karate, more work, and soon, a 4 hour class every tuesday for my plumbing lisence.
But I really want my next adventure to be well documented, so it will be more informative and helpful to others. No biggie, just gotta spend less time BSing on the forum, and more time logging events!

Thanks again guys, as GT would say, YOU RAWK!!

Harvest is near, this weekend, well tuesday technically, is the end of week 9 since going 12/12. As an amature, I've been calling these weeks of flower. Really, it takes a week to see real flower development, and this is a debatable subject. Some people call it from 12/12, some from actual flower.....
My girls just dont seem ready yet. I'm sure they'll be fine if I chop now, but I'm still seeing new growth. Also, I have virtually NO amber as of yet, mostly all cloudy, with just a couple clear here and there. Which is also a debatable subject. I know of one HIGHLY respected grower, who says he would never let a good indica go full amber. In fact, he would prefer a mix of clear and cloudy. Just food for thought, but I'm starting to wonder if they're at optimal rediness, or not. I guess I'll try to quick dry a fresh picked bud tonight, its just hard to quick dry, and consume all in one night to see if I should chop tomorrow....I'll let you know what comes of the test vape tonight.....

Hey Quix - on the mother/seed thing. I'm a bit high, but if I understood you correctly...

If you take the hermie pollen from the one mother and use it to pollenate the other female that didn't hermie, that should result in healthy feminized seeds. I believe that is what you are saying as well, and intending to experiment with. In general, good idea. If the female that hermied on you hermied easily (in other words it didn't take much to make it hermie) than your resulting feminized seeds would have a higher tendency to hermie. But, I think temperatures and a couple of other things could have caused it to hermie even though it was a fairly healthy female. In that case it's pollen could/should be used to make seeds with healthy mom #2 and you should have yourself a whole bunch of interesting feminized seeds (lots of pheno variations perhaps, but that could be fun.) Was I off, or is this what you are thinking? If not - maybe you should try it?

Take care my friend! X

Hey Quix - on the mother/seed thing. I'm a bit high, but if I understood you correctly...

If you take the hermie pollen from the one mother and use it to pollenate the other female that didn't hermie, that should result in healthy feminized seeds. I believe that is what you are saying as well, and intending to experiment with. In general, good idea. If the female that hermied on you hermied easily (in other words it didn't take much to make it hermie) than your resulting feminized seeds would have a higher tendency to hermie. But, I think temperatures and a couple of other things could have caused it to hermie even though it was a fairly healthy female. In that case it's pollen could/should be used to make seeds with healthy mom #2 and you should have yourself a whole bunch of interesting feminized seeds (lots of pheno variations perhaps, but that could be fun.) Was I off, or is this what you are thinking? If not - maybe you should try it?

Take care my friend! X

No no, my friend, you're dead on. That was exactly what I was trying to say. I'm really excited to see what I get from the good seeds, I know there should be plenty. I've also seen a good 3-4 different phenos in this line already, but I'm really hoping for the stinky characteristic from this mother, she smells delicious! Shes also a great producer. Not sure if I'll run them this go around, though, as I have some new strains on their way, and I'm quite tickled at the thought of starting them. I also have some pollen from one of the hermies, and am quite tickled at the prospect of creating some seeds from these new strains.

I'm leaning toward the freebie, Fruit Automatic, in a single plant grow, in 5 Gallons of soil. Also, My local hydro guy is about to expand, and is bringing in a guy who is going to do live brews of compost teas in the shop. I think that will be pretty cool, and am leaning toward teas for feeding, rather than synthetics!!

Very exciting stuff! Anyway great talkin with ya, now to stop by yours and see whats going on in a REAL grow!!

Well, my seeds have yet to arrive, and I must say I'm getting a little anxious. I placed my order on the 17th, and 18th. Does anyone have any input on the amount of time it usually takes, roughly?

Hi Quix! Nice pics, you WILL have a nice harvest. You do wonders in your limited space. :bravo: I'm NOT just saying that - I'll always shoot you straight.

On that note, I really like your strains -- you know how I feel about Jilly Bean!

I'd expect them in the next week sometime. Usually takes 10-14 days it seems like to me.... Soon my friend (but it's like waiting for Xmas as a kid, huh?!)

Hey Quix,
Im super late, but my goodness those colas are beautiful! Nice and uniform, too. I will definitely be sitting the rest of this one in. Not that theres much time left lol.

About your seeds, I wouldnt worry. My first order took about a month to get in my hands, while other orders have taken under a week. Idk what would make it take so long, but it happens.

Hi Quix! Nice pics, you WILL have a nice harvest. You do wonders in your limited space. :bravo: I'm NOT just saying that - I'll always shoot you straight.

On that note, I really like your strains -- you know how I feel about Jilly Bean!

I'd expect them in the next week sometime. Usually takes 10-14 days it seems like to me.... Soon my friend (but it's like waiting for Xmas as a kid, huh?!)

Hey X thanks my friend! I know I can always count on you to tell it like it is:thumb:
Yes, it IS like waiting for X-mas, lol get it? X....mas.....
Ahem, anyway....
Yeah, I know how you feel about Jilly B, the same way I do!:high-five:
I figured it would take a little bit, just wanted to make sure this wasnt an unusually long time for delivery, Thanks for the reassurance!

Hey Quix,
Im super late, but my goodness those colas are beautiful! Nice and uniform, too. I will definitely be sitting the rest of this one in. Not that theres much time left lol.

About your seeds, I wouldnt worry. My first order took about a month to get in my hands, while other orders have taken under a week. Idk what would make it take so long, but it happens.

Hello Magic Beans!:welcome: Yeah, you're coming in at the end, but you're welcome all the same! Thanks for looking in!
Thank you for the kind words, too, its been a great learning experience, and Im really excited to start the next experiment.
I'll be starting a new journal for the new strains, and the link will be in my signature.
You're more than welcome to join in on that one as well!
I didnt think 10 days was excessive, just getting impatient as this is my first order, and this will be my first time growing different strains, I cant wait! Hope to see oyu around, take care!

Spike, and GT, thank you guys very much for the compliments! I was only able to trim half of her tonight, she's a leafy woman!! I'll finish her tomorrow, and then there will still be the other mother. I cant wait to try a strain with a better calyx to leaf ratio. I also have much to learn....Looking forward to the next episode, and hope you'll join me.

GT, I still need to get around to seeing what you're up to, sorry I haven't been over in quite a while. But from what I can tell, some of the learning I have to do, can be done be watching you!

Peace and love to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom