Same Strain: Different Names?

I've been noticing something lately about strain names. For example : Gorilla Glue x Girl Scout Cookies. I see this advertised as Gorilla Girl (aka) Gorilla Cookies (aka) Glue Cookies (aka) Glookies. So why is it breeders change the name if it's the same thing ? My guess is because at 1st people wont realize it's the same strain because of the name change which enables them to promote it as a new product. Am I wrong about what I'm thinking about Same Strain / Different Names ? Are they different ?

Hi Buds,

Hope i got your point but if i'm totally off...please correct me

The different names is because Breeders Copyright the names of their successful products/seeds

Like Jack Herer strain from S@nsi seeds which is the only one that is correctly spelled was and is one of the most successful strains from the 90's Now other breeders want to tag along on the succes of that strain and produce their own seeds...however that strain has a Copyright on it so they call it Jock horror, jack herrer etc etc

Same story with Granddaddy Purple...one mighty successful strain and many breeders have their own created strain with a play on names because its a copyrighted strain
So its bypassing copyright claims etc

Green Crack vs Dream Queen.

Keep in mind that once someone starts selectively breeding something, the genetics start changing from what the original strain was. There's at least one group I know of that's starting to define strains in the Emerald Triangle and Humboldt by genetic sampling, allowing breeders to not only own a name, but also a genome.

For the STRAIN A x STRAIN B system and all the aka's...I think lots of breeders are trying to make their own versions of popular strains without misrepresenting themselves and passing off modified cultivars as original or close to original strains. Everyone seems to offer a White Widow but which one is closest to the original?

I'd love to see a comparison done between a plant from some 30 year old mother white widow and modern bred white widow.

Keep in mind that once someone starts selectively breeding something, the genetics start changing from what the original strain was. There's at least one group I know of that's starting to define strains in the Emerald Triangle and Humboldt by genetic sampling, allowing breeders to not only own a name, but also a genome.

For the STRAIN A x STRAIN B system and all the aka's...I think lots of breeders are trying to make their own versions of popular strains without misrepresenting themselves and passing off modified cultivars as original or close to original strains. Everyone seems to offer a White Widow but which one is closest to the original?

I'd love to see a comparison done between a plant from some 30 year old mother white widow and modern bred white widow.
I'd love to see that...as White Widow is only about twenty years old;)

If the strain is anything other than the original breeder you can't help feeling curious of how similar/better/worse is it. I'm taking the view that once I've had the pleasure of trying a bunch of named strains then I'll have a reasonable idea of the general level of what's out there. For many years I never knew that weed was named, it was either good or not good. Only now I am getting to experience some of the 'named' commercially sold strains, but like everyone, I'd like to jump ahead to the outstanding ones!

Yeah that might be doable...however he sold those strains to one breeder he partnered with and started another company with someone else that sell that strain as well...So there is an issue with which is the original one..and there's a connection with WW in his later partnership
Not in a bad catty way but the drama that accompanies cannabis in American is interesting as hell. It's vaguely like trying to follow the gothic tribes of Europe. Don't suppose anyone's written a memoire from the early days?

This^, but I think it's also two or more different growers/breeders crossing two strains at the same time, coming up with their own name for it, and putting it out at the same time. Some guy in the Netherlands crosses OG Kush and Amnesia at the same time as a gal in Cali does the same, and both come up with different names.

If the strain is anything other than the original breeder you can't help feeling curious of how similar/better/worse is it. I'm taking the view that once I've had the pleasure of trying a bunch of named strains then I'll have a reasonable idea of the general level of what's out there. For many years I never knew that weed was named, it was either good or not good. Only now I am getting to experience some of the 'named' commercially sold strains, but like everyone, I'd like to jump ahead to the outstanding ones!
Yeah you are absolutely right..only the original ones are the real deal...However the price of the original strains are usually more expensive but the quality is just better

However there are some original strains that are cheap as F@ck and even the bastardized ones (IFeminized!) are great quality like Skunk #1 and White Widow

two or more different growers/breeders crossing two strains at the same time,

mostly this. the majority of breeders all have access to the same genetics. the genetics themselves can't be copyrighted, but the names can be protected to a degree.

one breeder creates a popular cross, and the rest simply follow suit.

Not in a bad catty way but the drama that accompanies cannabis in American is interesting as hell. It's vaguely like trying to follow the gothic tribes of Europe. Don't suppose anyone's written a memoire from the early days?
Nah!...dont think so...As everything can and will be seen as evidence by those Pesky Law enforcers so a lot of it is Hear say

Hi Buds,

Hope i got your point but if i'm totally off...please correct me

The different names is because Breeders Copyright the names of their successful products/seeds

Like Jack Herer strain from S@nsi seeds which is the only one that is correctly spelled was and is one of the most successful strains from the 90's Now other breeders want to tag along on the succes of that strain and produce their own seeds...however that strain has a Copyright on it so they call it Jock horror, jack herrer etc etc

Same story with Granddaddy Purple...one mighty successful strain and many breeders have their own created strain with a play on names because its a copyrighted strain
So its bypassing copyright claims etc
Kind of figured it was something stupid as a copyright. Thanks.

Yeah you are absolutely right..only the original ones are the real deal...However the price of the original strains are usually more expensive but the quality is just better

However there are some original strains that are cheap as F@ck and even the bastardized ones (IFeminized!) are great quality like Skunk #1 and White Widow
Glad to hear the praise on White Widow. I finally successfully grew one (had a few die before). It gets harvested in about a week. I've never smoked any WW as of yet so looking forward to it.

Glad to hear the praise on White Widow. I finally successfully grew one (had a few die before). It gets harvested in about a week. I've never smoked any WW as of yet so looking forward to it.
By which Breeder?
Ow btw i have heard it helps to lower room temps in the last weeks to get the most out of her THC production

And i do Praise White Widow however i dont praise the rest of this breeder, Arjan thinks a bit too much of himself and a lot of his seeds have the tendency to have TMV virus which is one of the problems that can occur when Feminising seeds in a certain way. Pic of TMV virus
1617636144029.png

mostly this. the majority of breeders all have access to the same genetics. the genetics themselves can't be copyrighted, but the names can be protected to a degree.

one breeder creates a popular cross, and the rest simply follow suit.
So the copyright is stupid since they will just change the spelling a little. There should be a way to make the original breeder known from the rest with something like a sub title "Original" & any other breeder who crosses the same strain doesn't get to change the name or get the sub title.

By which Breeder?
Ow btw i have heard it helps to lower room temps in the last weeks to get the most out of her THC production
These are from the Breeder that got banned a few months ago. Teddy said I can't mention them by name so maybe you know who it is. They are in my room so they are on house AC which is at 77 F. Tent runs 77 - 80 F. My shed I keep at 68 - 75 the last few weeks but didn't move this one out there as it was full of plants at the time. She's still pretty Frosty & Sticky & has a pretty good smell coming from her.
9-800.JPG
9-801.JPG

Taking forever to get 20% + Amber. I think it's 75 days flower today.

What's up doc? :passitleft: Good morning to you. I hope this day finds you and yours healthy and happy. I like the talk on the the whole name thing man. The Cannabis business is the same as any I guess, at least when it comes to marketing. Lol! I hope you don't mind if I slip a WW pic in here from a few grows ago. Just plain excellent herbs. Smile and stay stoneder
20200628_103656 (2).jpg

So the copyright is stupid since they will just change the spelling a little. There should be a way to make the original breeder known from the rest with something like a sub title "Original" & any other breeder who crosses the same strain doesn't get to change the name or get the sub title.

that usually falls to the retailers.

they can't do all that much though. the product is still not technically legal to trade in about 60% of the globe for starters. then there is the issue of multiple breeders, across multiple countries, all with their own legal jurisdictions.

you might be able to impose a law around that in one particular country, but that isn't going to stop anyone from doing it elsewhere, and the the seeds themselves are sold international.

These are from the Breeder that got banned a few months ago. Teddy said I can't mention them by name so maybe you know who it is. They are in my room so they are on house AC which is at 77 F. Tent runs 77 - 80 F. My shed I keep at 68 - 75 the last few weeks but didn't move this one out there as it was full of plants at the time. She's still pretty Frosty & Sticky & has a pretty good smell coming from her.
9-800.JPG
9-801.JPG

Taking forever to get 20% + Amber. I think it's 75 days flower today.
Dutch Breeder? wont mention his company but his personal name ends with Roskam?

Back
Top Bottom