Sense Amelia's First Pop At Indoor Soil Grow

Here are some pics from today. I plan on letting these veg for about two weeks longer, hopefully by then they will be about 9-10 " tall and ready to be flipped into 12/12. I think they have had about 18 days in 18/6 light cycle now.

They are looking nice and healthy! :thumb: Just keep doing what you are doing!

If you want them to flower ASAP, you can flip any time. Some people start from seed on 12/12...the plant won't flower until it's sexually mature. You'll know they are mature when the nodes start alternating...once that starts the plant will flower if it's under under 12/12. Keeping them on an 18/6 schedule will force them to continue vegetive growth after it's reached maturity.

:ganjamon:

The one with the yellow leaves is the VK in my journal.
Ahh yes, I am sure it's gonna pull through just fine, it's amazing just how tough these things are huh!

Your secondary growth is really exploding in those last pictures! Keep it up!
Yes, I saw them this evening after not seeing them for a whole 24 hours, and I audibly gasped when I unzipped the tent.
They really do seem to be on a growth surge right now and I think in about 1 weeks time I can flip the switch on these ladies. Thanks for the kind words, Scopopulus!

They are looking nice and healthy! Just keep doing what you are doing!
Ha ha Thanks VapeDogg, I haven't really given them that much fuss and attention, but they seem to be flying regardless. Just really really lucky I think for my first time. So far anyway. One more week and they can go!

Here are a selection of pics from today. My little sweethearts.

SDC113792.JPG

SDC11377.JPG

SDC11376.JPG

SDC113751.JPG

SDC113731.JPG

SDC113721.JPG

I :circle-of-love: LOVE them!!

OOooohhhhh ...... perdy.

Depends. If you have a cool tube you can probably go lower. Put the back of your hand under the light. If it's uncomfortable .... it's too low. I use a 600w ..... I just leave my light up at the highest point. My grow box is 3' x 4' x 6' tall. There is so much light in that box ...... there's really no need for me to lower it.

Thankyou!

How low can the lights go guys? No lower than 18", is that right? :thanks:

Did you say 600W HPS? Loks like anywhere between 8"-29" would be acceptable...but it's really dependent on growth stage and how well you can manage the heat...vegging plants don't require as much light as flowering. I run air-cooled hoods, and can get them as close as 10"-12" once flowering ramps up.

Foot-Candle_Chart_HPS.jpg

Depends. If you have a cool tube you can probably go lower. Put the back of your hand under the light. If it's uncomfortable .... it's too low. I use a 600w ..... I just leave my light up at the highest point. My grow box is 3' x 4' x 6' tall. There is so much light in that box ...... there's really no need for me to lower it.
Sorry Mutt, I missed your post somehow. (eye test due??) I do have an air cooled light. Tomorrow armed with this new info I will lower it some more. Not full force, but bit by bit. Thanks! :)

I may also help to put a digital thermometer in the pot. Then, you'll know if your temps are too high .... even if the plants aren't showing it.

Hi Mutt. I have a digital therm, but it is hanging on the side of the tent at roughly the height of the plants tops. Is it better to have the therm in the pot itself then?

Ideally, you'd want it in the canopy...so I think you are fine. :thumb:

...and another question if I may? Before I flip the switch, I am hearing that I should let the plants stay in 48 hours of darkness. Is this right? And if so, do they still have to have air in there and what kind of temps should I try and maintain? Thanks folks.

...and another question if I may? Before I flip the switch, I am hearing that I should let the plants stay in 48 hours of darkness. Is this right? And if so, do they still have to have air in there and what kind of temps should I try and maintain? Thanks folks.

Okay, there's more to it than this...but to keep this quick, a mature plant produces hormones that induce flowering. Those hormones are destroyed by light. As long as the plant receives light for enough hours per day, to destroy enough of the hormone to keep it from flowering, it will stay in veg. Once the days shorten to a point that the plant is able to build up enough of the hormone...it will start to flower. So, to be technical, what induces flowering is the duration of uninterrupted darkness.

Growers use 12/12 because almost all strains will flower with 12 hours of darkness...but many will also flower with less.

Some strains...like the ones that need almost 12 hours of darkness to flower, can benefit from a "kick in the ass" to realize they are supposed to start flowering. By giving the plant 24 hours of uninterrupted darkness going into 12/12, it does just that, it lets that extra hormone accumulate, and usually gets the plant to flower right away.

But all of that is for a mature plant. If you did that with yours tomorrow it wouldn't do anything. If you want to switch to 12/12 now, you could just go ahead whenever. I'm guessing, but I'll bet you'll have a good 3 weeks, maybe more before those are ready to flower...anyway, just a guess based on strains I've grown...all strains are different.

I hope that helps.

actaully, I have a thermometer at both.

Back
Top Bottom