SoilGirl's Soil Multi-Strain Grow Journal 2014

Looking good! :)

I wouldn't get too carried away with defoliating, the only reason I ever defoliate anymore is so the plants/canopy has steady airflow. Since I grow on the ocean everything is geared towards airflow to prevent mold.

There is debate between certain indoor and outdoor growers whether defoliating is a great idea or not.

Some growers with 30+ years of experience really believe that defoliating outdoors in unnecessary (unless airflow is hindered), the leaves are like little solar panels that literally synthesize the energy for us which then becomes stored in the stalk. So it is certainly possible without vigorous defoliation (except a few leaves here and then directly covering a site) that one may see denser and bigger nugs.

Defoliations are better off done indoors, where the light source is in a constant position, outdoors the sun moves through the sky at all different angles. Usually there is a better response to vigorous defols indoors (not that it cant be done outdoors)

Also keep in mind, being outdoors is much different in terms of bugs. The bugs and fungus can smell out a weak plant quick. When we continually wound the plant by taking cuttings, or defoliating a lot, those open wounds are a calling card for little bugs and mold.

Again, so my main reason for it is to increase airflow to the canopy and if I need to take a leaf off or 2 that is directly covering a site.

Have the two UKH1,2 been sexually determined? :surf:

As a follow up, I do reserve defoliating using Bassman's method depending on how vigorous the seeds/plants are. A little LST/fim early on can really make a clustered mess of leaves if its not defoliated. So I give it the analogy of a beard that needs to be shaved. You can shave it and keep shaving it, and it will only grow back bigger, better, stronger, and faster. By all definition what makes it a weed, with these vigorous specimens, we can get away with a lot, strip them to the bone, tie them down in any position we want, and the next day when you wake up it just trucks through it. Just need to pick and choose wisely which strains/specimens we perform the technique on.

You definitely have nice specimens! :cheer: :thumb:

Looking good! :)

I wouldn't get too carried away with defoliating, the only reason I ever defoliate anymore is so the plants/canopy has steady airflow. Since I grow on the ocean everything is geared towards airflow to prevent mold.

There is debate between certain indoor and outdoor growers whether defoliating is a great idea or not.

Some growers with 30+ years of experience really believe that defoliating outdoors in unnecessary (unless airflow is hindered), the leaves are like little solar panels that literally synthesize the energy for us which then becomes stored in the stalk. So it is certainly possible without vigorous defoliation (except a few leaves here and then directly covering a site) that one may see denser and bigger nugs.

Defoliations are better off done indoors, where the light source is in a constant position, outdoors the sun moves through the sky at all different angles. Usually there is a better response to vigorous defols indoors (not that it cant be done outdoors)

Also keep in mind, being outdoors is much different in terms of bugs. The bugs and fungus can smell out a weak plant quick. When we continually wound the plant by taking cuttings, or defoliating a lot, those open wounds are a calling card for little bugs and mold.

Again, so my main reason for it is to increase airflow to the canopy and if I need to take a leaf off or 2 that is directly covering a site.

Have the two UKH1,2 been sexually determined? :surf:

As a follow up, I do reserve defoliating using Bassman's method depending on how vigorous the seeds/plants are. A little LST/fim early on can really make a clustered mess of leaves if its not defoliated. So I give it the analogy of a beard that needs to be shaved. You can shave it and keep shaving it, and it will only grow back bigger, better, stronger, and faster. By all definition what makes it a weed, with these vigorous specimens, we can get away with a lot, strip them to the bone, tie them down in any position we want, and the next day when you wake up it just trucks through it. Just need to pick and choose wisely which strains/specimens we perform the technique on.

You definitely have nice specimens! :cheer: :thumb:
Thanks for the advice Lester! Yeah, perhaps I got a little bit carried away defoling, but when I read Bassman's thread I noted that both my large plants are pretty healthy specimens that should be able to take it, but I will definitely lax off a bit on the defoling unless there's a direct cover-up. My UKH#1 is definitely a female, one of my first closeups on her shows a little pistil in there, and now there's quite a few more. Sorry, my pics earlier today were pretty low quality, even for my phone cam. Tomorrow I will have better ones zooming in on the pistils. UKH#2 hasn't shown sex definitively yet, but I'm pretty sure I see a tiny hair in a couple places a few nodes down from the tops, I'd say I'm about 70% sure its female at this point.
Thanks so much for the interest Lester! :thanks::circle-of-love:
edit: by the way, what does fim mean? I've heard that a few times here.

Very nice SoilGirl, subbed.
Thanks Shadow! Nice of you to stop by! Oh and I won't get mad at you if you don't remember my name, I know how that goes hehe, just don't get mad at me either! :p :welcome::thanks:
Beautiful Plants! Sub'd!
Glad to have you here Athos, thanks! :welcome::rocker::tommy:
Hi SG. I use paper tape (the first aid kind) on broken stems and branches. It works very well.
Thanks for the advice BL! I'll remember that one, when I used a twist-tie to hold together my broken stem it swelled up and caused a little damage, nothing too severe though! :thanks::thanks:

Fim is short for F*c* i missed.

long story to this term,

short point of it, a writer wrote into high times magazine saying that he missed and clipped the top of his plant while trying to clip a fan leaf (from what i understand)

turn 1 top into 2 tops, turn 2 into 4, turn 4 into 8, 8 into 16.. ;)

I&i

Subscribed! Look'n good in your garden :thumb:...purple fingernails and all...lol.

Loved your journal and a nice read. Seems like you know what's going on and using it :goodjob:
I liked the use of the pantyhose, I guess I haven't thought about using them since I don't wear them :rofl::rofl::rofl:...but I will start! ...(edited)...and I don't mean wearing them!!!

I will be watching, learning and smoke'n :ganjamon:

peace and good growing:Namaste:

Fim is short for F*c* i missed.

long story to this term,

short point of it, a writer wrote into high times magazine saying that he missed and clipped the top of his plant while trying to clip a fan leaf (from what i understand)

turn 1 top into 2 tops, turn 2 into 4, turn 4 into 8, 8 into 16.. ;)

I&i
Hahaha it all makes sense now! thanks for explaining GFC :Namaste::thanks:

Very nice thread. Your plants seem happy. :)
aw thank you Xanthi :) thanks for joining us!
Happy I found my way over to your garden :love:

Nothing better then to see those pretty ladies bathing in the sun, which is indeed :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:peacetwo:
Hahaha, I'm glad you found your way over here as well daTenshi! My ladies and I sure do love the sun :p
Please feel free to join us any time! :circle-of-love::welcome:
Subscribed! Look'n good in your garden :thumb:...purple fingernails and all...lol.

Loved your journal and a nice read. Seems like you know what's going on and using it :goodjob:
I liked the use of the pantyhose, I guess I haven't thought about using them since I don't wear them :rofl::rofl::rofl:...but I will start! ...(edited)...and I don't mean wearing them!!!

I will be watching, learning and smoke'n :ganjamon:

peace and good growing:Namaste:
HAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl: that made me lol, that's awesome. thanks for clarifying :p and what would a garden be without purple nails? uh. boring! :grinjoint: Thanks for joining us Knotspeeds! The more the merrier:party:, plus I love a good laugh. ;) :welcome: :Namaste:

Journal is a great read!!:goodjob:
Plants look amazing!:goodjob: I wish i could grow outdoors...
SUBBED!!

And thank you for all your help!!

:peace:
Raiven...
Aw thanks for joining us Raiven! glad to have you here!:welcome::Namaste:
No problem at all, I know how first grows go. Hey everyone on my journal, Raiven is a young padawan looking for help with his first grow, I'm doing my best to help (and will continue to), but there's some great growers following me who know much more than I, if you get a chance go take a peak at Raiven's journal/problem journal when you get a chance and see if you can help. His journals seem to have gone very unnoticed, thanks!

LOL...so what you are saying is that my grow in boring without painting my nails purple :rofl::rofl::rofl: I bet that would fly through the community like wild fire :rofl::rofl::rofl: , hey check out the dude with purple finger nails that is wearing pantyhose as well, but understand one thing, if it would give me bigger buds in the end......I would do it, but just don't think that would help.

peace and good growing.

Very cool. I'll be watching for sure :thumb:
Sweet, welcome Growlow :welcome: :passitleft: have a joint and join us for this magic carpet ride!
Lol, I'm pretty stoned, sorry.
LOL...so what you are saying is that my grow in boring without painting my nails purple :rofl::rofl::rofl: I bet that would fly through the community like wild fire :rofl::rofl::rofl: , hey check out the dude with purple finger nails that is wearing pantyhose as well, but understand one thing, if it would give me bigger buds in the end......I would do it, but just don't think that would help.

peace and good growing.
Hahaha ok, maybe not boring, but purple nails totally add a little zest to a journal, right? Maybe this journal will look into that experiment :laughtwo::rofl::tokin: just watch, I'll grow the biggest, sweetest buds you've ever seen then everyone will have their purple nails and pantyhose here!

Oh by the way I'll be adding some pics later when I get up off my medicated bum.

trying to catch up here SoilGal, great first post/detail, I just wanted to jump in RE spraying anything, when it's humid, don't spray!!!, especially when budding, I just found some mold and I'm deciding on how to remove it , now. I'll catch up later :peace:
Oh no, Mold?? Sh_t, sorry Trichs! Good luck, I'll check out your yard in a little to see how goes it, and thanks for stopping by! You're welcome anytime, I will definitely not spray any preventative insect sprays on the humid days, but it has been pretty dry lately. I'm used to eastern slope CO growing near Denver, (DRY and windy, perfect for outdoor weed) the western is really eclectic, I never knew it could rain so much in CO though I'm sure its nothing like close to the beach in Cali! But one day in the morning here about a month ago, I checked my dad's cool giant clock that reads humidity, and it said 78!! Sh_t! I fear that that may be my worst enemy this grow, bud rot during flushing/curing.

Back
Top Bottom