Speyedr's White Widow Deep Water Culture SCROG, House & Garden Nutes - 1st Grow EVER!

I've seen very few growers demand the 35% peroxide and rule out the 3%. I think it is debatable and arguable.
It is also debatable and arguable whether to use it all the time or only when needed, or to use it as a cure only and not for prevention or for prevention. I don't argue or debate it but look at this cut and paste from a magazine for a different opinion.

by Ed Rosenthal.
How much hydrogen peroxide should be used?
When and how much hydrogen peroxide should I use in my hydroponic solution?

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that can be used to destroy fungi, molds, bacteria and other infectious agents as well as some pollutants. Adding it to your water helps plants by destroying infectious agents and by adding oxygen to the roots' environment.
Hydrogen peroxide is an essential ingredient in maintaining a clean growing room. It replaces chlorine bleach, which is antiseptic but harmful to breathe. When added to reservoirs, hydrogen peroxide slows the growth of algae and other water organisms so that trays and utensils need to be cleaned less frequently. Soil and water borne diseases such as pythium and other stem and root rots occur at much lower rates in hydrogen peroxide-enriched water. Hydrogen peroxide works because of the oxidative reaction, so micro-organisms are unlikely to develop a tolerance.
There are many ways to add hydrogen peroxide to the water. A measured amount every three days is the crudest method, but still effectively enriches the water. A smaller measured amount daily would even out the peaks and valleys of oxygen in the water. Another method is to use a drip similar to an IV bag, which continuously adds a regulated amount. The most sophisticated method is a probe which measures the oxygen content of the water as an indirect means of measuring the hydrogen peroxide, and adds an appropriate amount as needed.
When used properly, hydrogen peroxide can keep infections in the garden to a minimum and stimulate root growth by increasing the oxygen content of the water. Hydrogen peroxide degrades into free oxygen and water over a three-day period. Some of the oxygen dissolves in the reservoir water and is used by the roots.
Different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide solution are available. It is sold diluted to 3% in drug stores. Some indoor garden shops sell 10% grade and 35% grade is sold in a few health food stores and over the Internet. The 3% hydrogen peroxide solution can be used topically to sterilize cuts and infections. Hydrogen peroxide solution at 10% burns skin. 35% hydrogen peroxide solution acts much like a concentrated acid and is handled as a hazardous, corrosive liquid.
The 10% hydrogen peroxide solution is sometimes used at rates as low as one ounce per 10 gallons water; however, enrichment using an ounce per gallon is more effective for disease control. When 35% hydrogen peroxide solution is used, it can be added at the rate of three ounces per 10 gallons of water. If a 3% solution is used, use three ounces per gallon of water as a cure.

I've seen very few growers demand the 35% peroxide and rule out the 3%. I think it is debatable and arguable.
It is also debatable and arguable whether to use it all the time or only when needed, or to use it as a cure only and not for prevention or for prevention. I don't argue or debate it but look at this cut and paste from a magazine for a different opinion.

Thanks Roseman! I read this in your legendary thread, and combined with the label for the 3% I bought, listing Filtered Water as 97% of the ingredients, I couldn't see the problem with using it, assuming you are using it at all.

I don't know that I would use it as a general additive, but it worked with my algae, and it seems that once you get algae it's pretty much here to stay until the grow is over and the equipment can be sterilized.

I am still a Noob (probably will always be one) but I can say that the only thing I would recommend is to follow the Roseman thread and some journals first and then do the right things to avoid getting algae in the first place.

So here's my latest homegrown conundrum (pun intended)...

The H&G Nute Schedule goes either 2 or 4 week veg and then on to flower. I have been vegging longer than this due to my Algae outbreak but things are back on track and since the last res change growth has exploded. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.
That said, the plants have not reached the screen and anyone who has been following along has seen how insanely compact these plants are, which is great for anything BUT a SCROG. Figures. My dilemma is:

1 - do I go into flower knowing full well that the ladies will stretch for some time? My screen is only 18" x 24" though they say 1sqft per plant and I am over that. How is his compact plant size going to fare on the screen? I am planning on switching to HPS for flower, and while I have read that you should keep MH for the first few weeks of flower, this is to reduce the stretch, which I am not sure I need to do.

2 - do I just extend veg until they hit the screen as originally planned? I did not plan on vegging much longer than 'first contact'. Just train a bit and then go into 12/12 knowing that the stretch will likely fill the screen rather quickly.

3 - Speyedr is just bored without the drama and needs to shake things up a bit. Shut the fuck up and have a toke.

Thoughts, gut feelings, insults and general tomfoolery always welcome...

Wednesday update...

Thought I'd post some pics to show my dilemma a little more clearly. They are way bigger and bushier than just 4 days ago, the Rockstar being 3" from the screen and the runt more like 4"...

IMG_08337.JPG

IMG_08349.JPG

IMG_08374.JPG

IMG_08401.JPG

IMG_08423.JPG

IMG_08436.JPG

These next two show the nodes on each plant. The Rockstar has stretched a bit with about 1/2" internodal lenght. The runt has stayed compact, for better or worse. You can also make out the branching going on. Each plant has seven nodes that I count before the tips...

Rockstar
IMG_08443.JPG

Runt
IMG_08462.JPG

It looked like the Runt was going to overcome, but now I'm not so sure. Her root system seems more developed but she is still shorter by an inch.

Now I'm just trying to get a grip on when to flower...???

Wouldn't worry about the actual size, my Snow White was in flower real short and now has been growing every day. I would just say the cliche' "Dont judge a book by its cover."

SG

Wouldn't worry about the actual size, my Snow White was in flower real short and now has been growing every day. I would just say the cliche' "Dont judge a book by its cover."

SG

I hear ya Bro. I need more info on the strain to make a decision. The screen is not very big and I am worried about outgrowing it.
White Widow is a hybrid and Nirvana says it will grow 'Medium', then goes on to say 'tall plants with delicate branches'. These don't look tall or delicate. They look like Wes Welker, short and stocky!!! I have seen other Sativa SCROGs where it got a bit unruly even when they flowered at 2" tall. That was a Haze, so a true Sativa but still. I'd rather have a less densely packed screen than moldy buds.

So I got a bunch of info through PMs and another thread about my strain, and I have decided to start flowering today. I don't have any pics but as soon as I take new ones I will post them.

Did my res change according to Week 1 of Flower:
-Parts A&B - 39ml
-Roots Excelerateur - 6.6ml
-Multi Zen - 28.8ml
-Algaecide - 10 drops

I check on them 2hrs after the res change and could smell them, where I hadn't before even after a full 24hrs of no checking. Must be that Multi Zen!

Set my lights to 12/12 and I have the lights, reflector exhaust fan and Ice Probe on the same circuit. This way I don't over cool the res.
The room exhaust is still set to kick on at 78f and keep the room at 76f. I will start to lower temp & RH in abut 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks for all of the info and wish me luck!

Time to set it and forget it! Not as much fun as veg however = /

SG

I don't know, once they hit the screen I will be real busy for a few weeks until they stop stretching.

I'm looking forward to some work like that instead of work like 'Oh shit, I have an Algae problem!!' or 'Oh shit, my pH is all over the place' or 'Oh shit, is that nute burn or a difficiency..?' :blushsmile:

:smokin:Looking good bud, Still cant get over how big they are in girth, and nodes.

I think you are gonna be suprised in how far they stretch in just 3 days of flower. I am in my 4th day of flower for my bubble buckets and they have streched a rediculous amount. I am even still running my 1k MH because i wanted to keep the growth down a bit. I doesnt seem to be working,lol. They are probably gonna blast off in a few days when i switch over to HPS.

Anyways, keep it up brother and dont worry bout the runt, shell catch up. If she doesnt, then thats just her gens. Iether i think you will be pleased with yourself.:grinjoint:

:smokin:Looking good bud, Still cant get over how big they are in girth, and nodes.

I think you are gonna be suprised in how far they stretch in just 3 days of flower. I am in my 4th day of flower for my bubble buckets and they have streched a rediculous amount. I am even still running my 1k MH because i wanted to keep the growth down a bit. I doesnt seem to be working,lol. They are probably gonna blast off in a few days when i switch over to HPS.

Anyways, keep it up brother and dont worry bout the runt, shell catch up. If she doesnt, then thats just her gens. Iether i think you will be pleased with yourself.:grinjoint:

Thanks Bro. I am keeping my MH on as well for the next couple weeks. Probably switch for week 3 or 4. I am hoping they stretch enough to fill the screen and when I tell them to stop they should listen, just like my Wife and Kids do...yeah right!

Nice setup Speyedr, hay I wanted ask does the line fan in there! cause any extra heat problems with the lights that's whorth worring about? I like it though clean looking setup Bro.

Nice setup Speyedr, hay I wanted ask does the line fan in there! cause any extra heat problems with the lights that's whorth worring about? I like it though clean looking setup Bro.

Hey Doc, thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words.

I have two exhaust fans in the space. One is for the hood which takes cool air from outside the space and exhausts to a completely different area outside the space. The other is hooked up to a can fan in the space and vents outside the space. This second fan is temp controlled so it only goes on when needed, and then only for a few minutes at a time. The hood fan is on the same timer as the lights and so only runs when needed. With this setup I am able to keep the space at the temp I choose.

Hope this helps.

Ok, got some pics tonight once they woke up. Rockstar is looking a little yellow. Is this a deficiency? I am concerned that I may be operating behind schedule, in other words, I am saying Week 5 and they are saying week 6 or 7...?
It started right before last res change. As the water level dropped I replaced it with RO. pH stayed fine but ppms dropped a bit. They started this week at about 550 and are now around 535.
Anyway, here are the pics..

IMG_08496.JPG

IMG_08504.JPG

IMG_08515.JPG

IMG_08526.JPG

IMG_08553.JPG

IMG_08574.JPG

She is growing fine, about an inch to go to the screen, and the runt is not discolored at all. Another thing that concerns me is the root systems. They are not developing like others I have seen in journals. The runt's roots are much more developed as well, so maybe she is able to take up more because of it.

This morning I went into the room outside the space and could definitely smell them. I turned on my Ozonator and that seemed to help as well. I will have to change the venting schedule soon but I wanted to stay as close to veg environment for the nest two weeks or so. We'll see how that works out.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom