Bet that excitement dissipated wuick 😂

Hope your wife helped, put her in charge in future 🤣
Ha I have to admit I was pretty much spent after the first 2 plants. I was like let's call it a night and my wife was like come on we only have one left, let's finish it tonight lol.

She also does a much better job then me trimming, although I was kinda just thinking of a real quick rough wet trim and then clean up close after it dries but hers were manicured really nice.

Ha I have to admit I was pretty much spent after the first 2 plants. I was like let's call it a night and my wife was like come on we only have one left, let's finish it tonight lol.

She also does a much better job then me trimming, although I was kinda just thinking of a real quick rough wet trim and then clean up close after it dries but hers were manicured really nice.
You need to promote that, as Nick said. Compliment her on the great (and better) job she did especially compared to yours. Then let your effort decline a bit more and she'll get fed up with the crappy job you're doing and insist on doing that all herself and you'll be banished from trimming and relegated to just taking pictures.

That's what Nick did and it seems to be working great for him! :thumb:

:laughtwo:

You need to promote that, as Nick said. Compliment her on the great (and better) job she did especially compared to yours. Then let your effort decline a bit more and she'll get fed up with the crappy job you're doing and insist on doing that all herself and you'll be banished from trimming and relegated to just taking pictures.

Haha at one point she said, "Do you even care about how this looks? You grew it for 3 months you could spend more than 3secs making it look nice." I'd say I'm relegated to just sweeping up :laughtwo:

I think @NickHardy has the right idea and I'm blissfully following in his footsteps. Now if I could only get my wife to care about the growing part of it... Baby steps I guess.

That’s a cold analysis. Accurate though!

Haha at one point she said, "Do you even care about how this looks? You grew it for 3 months you could spend more than 3secs making it look nice." I'd say I'm relegated to just sweeping up :laughtwo:

I think @NickHardy has the right idea and I'm blissfully following in his footsteps. Now if I could only get my wife to care about the growing part of it... Baby steps I guess.
Yeah I have teenagers for the sweeping but good job if you must work!

But what has ever made anyone think I do anything other than write about growing?! Next you’ll be expecting pictures of Azi’s plants 😂

But what has ever made anyone think I do anything other than write about growing?! Next you’ll be expecting pictures of Azi’s plants 😂
I've come to the conclusion that Azi's hyper advanced AI and may be just farming us, we are his plants. He feeds us knowledge and we feed him pictures of beautiful marijuana plants hahaha after I am done typing I promise to take off my tin foil hat and put down the scissor hash I collected :rollit:

So I do have some questions about drying, mostly am I doing it right lol. I have the buds on strings spread out and the tent completely sealed up. I have an oscillating fan set on the lowest speed gently blowing across the buds and the inline set to maintain 57-63% and 60-65°f.

The tent still smells slightly like the buds did during the grow but there's a slight smell of hay creeping in now. Any tips are appreciated as this is always the part that I feel like my grow falters.
Screenshot_20240311-220907.png

The wedding crasher has lost some of purple in the colas but has a really cool magenta in the lower popcorn buds.
PXL_20240312_011802112.jpg
PXL_20240312_011708676.jpg

We do whole colas hanging sometimes and sometimes like recently wet (hand pluck) trim place into baskets

Think Jon reckons you get flat buds you hang in the baskets but we have them plenty dry at trim and spread them out so not a problem for us. We bagged 7.75 pounds this morning.

Either full colas hanging or plucked then a final trim a week later we look for the baskets or the buds ever so slightly trembling in the breeze. The baskets protect from direct air flow - you handle them more though so potentially knocking off precious trichs.

Swings and roundabouts.

They take up more space “on the vine” which is we’ll sometimes pluck and chop. Just space.

Your environment looks legit good. As you’d expect from a manufacturers pre set numbers!

For me - they always smell best at 10-14 days before harvest. As they begin to enter end of life, some low level decay begins, somilecence which I spell wrong!

Then in dry they smell bad for a while. They let off a bunch of Co2 some methane type stuff. Smells “green” vegetable like. Its the chlorophyll converting to gas I think?

When its finger dry we bag (today ours was a little too dry so ai left it open an hour or too to get it into Grove bag range) it smells a little better now.

But 3 weeks in Grove Bags (trust me don't open to check) it’ll be like that magic 2 weeks before harvest smell but refined. Less “planty” You’re eager to try and taste I know! My first grow wasn’t so long ago 🤣. I’d take some samples and put in jars with packs and burp them old school style. Dip into them for tasters but leave the bagged stuff alone.

Be way better for it

Nick

IMG_2251.jpeg

There were a lot more baskets until this morning - spot the 6-7 grams someone carelessly missed on the drainage tray 😂

So everyone is drying well, unzipped the tent for the first time in 2 days and was met with a more pleasant smell. I had moved the fan lower so that it was blowing the air below the buds and not right across them. The buds are feeling drier to the touch but I can tell they are much lighter already.

My job got moved up and it appears cutting them early was the smart play because I now leave next Weds which puts me right at the 10 day dry time. Fingers crossed that will be enough time.

The SIP's are dismantled and will be heading to the raised garden bed to start breaking down before getting mixed into the soil.
PXL_20240314_231101730.jpg

I'll post final weights and a pre cure smoke report for all the girls in a week or so.

Thank you again to everyone for following along and offering advice and levity along the way. It very much made me feel welcomed into the 420Mag fam. I hope everyone will follow me on my next grow as I try a small quick auto grow before the heat wave of summer kills my electric meter. I'll post the link when I get it written up.

The SIP's are dismantled and will be heading to the raised garden bed to start breaking down before getting mixed into the soil.
PXL_20240314_231101730.jpg

I'll post final weights and a pre cure smoke report for all the girls in a week or so.

Thank you again to everyone for following along and offering advice and levity along the way. It very much made me feel welcomed into the 420Mag fam. I hope everyone will follow me on my next grow as I try a small quick auto grow before the heat wave of summer kills my electric meter. I'll post the link when I get it written up.
Love a great big healthy rootball :welldone:
Key to life.:thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Love a great big healthy rootball :welldone:
Key to life.:thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Ain't that the truth though!

At first I didn't think that the roots were that substantial but there really weren't any super large roots to be seen. Just a vast network of the finest hair roots, pretty neat to see.

So I'm thinking that some of the smaller buds are starting to become very dry. I'm thinking of taking some of the smaller crispy ones off and let the larger ones finish drying. It's a little faster than what I was shooting for but I think the larger buds will need a two more days.
Take a couple off and put them in a Mason jar with a hygrometer.
In a couple minutes you will know exactly where they are.
Don't over dry them. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

So I'm thinking that some of the smaller buds are starting to become very dry. I'm thinking of taking some of the smaller crispy ones off and let the larger ones finish drying. It's a little faster than what I was shooting for but I think the larger buds will need a two more days.
Like you noticed and like Bill said better - the buds ain’t all the same size!

One size doesn’t fit all, just pull the smaller stuff a bit earlier and jar - personally I’d have 3 of the hygrometer things in one jar and average the values - then the other the jars gonna be close enough. No need more sensors.

They are really unreliable at times. That exact model like 90% growers use so not suggesting a change. Your weed and jars and environment presumably got tiny differences, right? Not sure you need a sensor per jar (and Grove Bags really never put a sensor in one - the heat the sensor would mess with it - its not designed for that)

BUT the best add value - you’re already separating out your weed grades as you go!

Your primo super star top cola bud for holidays and stuff gonna be bigger and take longer to finish.

The popcorn you chick in an envelope and send to the mad Auntie in Punxsutawney is what gets jarred up first.

🤣

Enjoy the fruits of your labour buddy!

But yep - leave the buds somewhere like 60% humidity for about 2 hours get that 50% reading up, guess they’re a little like well rough/dry not quite crispy but close?

All good. They are popcorn. Get it back in teo hours like I said.

Nick

Well I trimmed and bagged the rest.

Blueberry
Buds
PXL_20240317_181218879.MP.jpg

Popcorn
PXL_20240317_181242234.jpg

PXL_20240317_181131276.jpg

PXL_20240317_181106331.jpg

Purple Haze
Buds
PXL_20240317_210337544.jpg

Popcorn
PXL_20240317_204324499.jpg

PXL_20240317_205901638.MP.jpg

6fb289c0-119e-464c-80f1-aeea0df852e1.jpg

245ish grams (8.75oz) of nice buds plus another 3ish oz of popcorn stuff. Really happy with the grow and the buds, and will be popping seeds to start my next grow shortly.

Handed out some uncured samples to a couple close friends and got some really solid feedback. Everyone likes the wedding Crasher smoke but the consensus is the Purple haze elevates you significantly more than the others. I haven't tried any yet but that may change tonight.

Like you noticed and like Bill said better - the buds ain’t all the same size!

One size doesn’t fit all, just pull the smaller stuff a bit earlier and jar - personally I’d have 3 of the hygrometer things in one jar and average the values - then the other the jars gonna be close enough. No need more sensors.

They are really unreliable at times. That exact model like 90% growers use so not suggesting a change. Your weed and jars and environment presumably got tiny differences, right? Not sure you need a sensor per jar (and Grove Bags really never put a sensor in one - the heat the sensor would mess with it - its not designed for that)

BUT the best add value - you’re already separating out your weed grades as you go!

Your primo super star top cola bud for holidays and stuff gonna be bigger and take longer to finish.

The popcorn you chick in an envelope and send to the mad Auntie in Punxsutawney is what gets jarred up first.

🤣

Enjoy the fruits of your labour buddy!

But yep - leave the buds somewhere like 60% humidity for about 2 hours get that 50% reading up, guess they’re a little like well rough/dry not quite crispy but close?

All good. They are popcorn. Get it back in teo hours like I said.

Nick
Welp I just final trimmed and grove bagged it all. Mostly because my wife said if I want her help today's the day 😂. However I really think that it's almost going to be perfect because after the buds were bagged up the humidity had creeped up to 55%, and I figure it'll hit the 58-62% the Grove bag is supposed to maintain by tonight. The popcorn stuff is going to be used in some bubble hash making I think. The colas on all three plants were really nice and when they went into the jar they settled at around 60%.

@NickHardy do the Grove bags hold air when you zip them shut, like a balloon? 1 of mine does but 2 of them do not. I couldn't see a hole or tear.

Back
Top Bottom