Strains For Brains - A Brain Patient's Perspective

@keshazel, that has to be one of the best new visitor posts of 2018!

Welcome to 420 Mag, Brainiacs, Patients, Supporters, 420 Family, Cannabis Intelligent Medicated People and judgement free place. :welcome:

It's overwhelming amount of info eh, sorreeeey, :love:

Honestly it's just the tip of the icebrain because there is so much information to validate our mission. :allgood:

If there is one word that rings true to you...then please answer your calling. What brings you to this brainy part of town if I may ask?

:thumb:

Hi Grow2, I came to 420 Mag 1/1/18 for help with cannabis. Specifically, I had a bad reaction to RSO, so I switched to rosin. I was looking for a way to duplicate the RSO protocol with rosin.

But since I got here I have learned a lot and I'm currently taking a tiny bit of rosin every day. I have a long list of ailments and would like to do what I can to heal myself. My plan is to make some cream as well that I can use for treatments. SweetSue gave me some recommendations on what to look for when I buy buds. I'd like to juice in the future; but right now I don't have access to leaf.

Thanks for the welcome. Kelly

Did you know?

BC First Nations jumped at the chance to introduce Traditional Law for Cannabis re-legalization. British Columbia (BC) is located on the West Coast of Canada where the sea meets the sky. This heavily forestry-enriched territory is set to legalize Cannabis possibly July 1, 2018. What do the Four Host First Nations of the Traditional Coast Salish Territory have to say about this matter?

"...[M}edicinal herbs and plants found and cultivated on traditional territory are protected under "Ayookxw", or traditional law."

Now that Cannabis will be traditionally and readily available to the community in a healing capacity, a reconciliation process will begin. As a result, there will be a renewed economic independence, access to services for Elders and solidarity through recovery; that comes from the repatriation of Medical Marijuana.

"Several members dealing with conditions like cancer, diabetes, and fibromyalgia have found relief, while others have used it to help remove their dependence on alcohol and other drugs."

This is the economic push that will improve living conditions on Reserves; and restore cultivating traditions on ancestral land after this traditional plant has been outlawed for so long.

(First Nations call on B.C. to consider reconciliation, traditional law in cannabis regulations | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly)

Lady G
A Smile Waiting to Happen...

Hi Grow2, I came to 420 Mag 1/1/18 for help with cannabis. Specifically, I had a bad reaction to RSO, so I switched to rosin. I was looking for a way to duplicate the RSO protocol with rosin.

But since I got here I have learned a lot and I'm currently taking a tiny bit of rosin every day. I have a long list of ailments and would like to do what I can to heal myself. My plan is to make some cream as well that I can use for treatments. SweetSue gave me some recommendations on what to look for when I buy buds. I'd like to juice in the future; but right now I don't have access to leaf.

Thanks for the welcome. Kelly

*Hi Kelly, that is a very regal name around here.

SweetSue is the top the mountain as far as expertise around here. You're on the right track and you seem to finding the right groups to help you.

i try to provide research into Brain Diseases and the experimental treatments of Cannabis. Although chemicals are way more experimental in my mind, we are setting a standard here when it comes to collectively sharing our experiences. I believe that 1 in 3 people will be affected by Brain Disease and there is not time to "talk" about it, we need to "DO" something about it. We are not a club, we are a movement of people who speak our own truths, and we use Cannabis to do it.

There are so many ways to feed your brain Cannabis, but since you've read our thread, I'm sure you're up to date with our stories.

The point I'm trying to get across is that you're in the right place at the right time. Find the answers you need and keep that treatment going. I think your world is opening up to dosing Cannabis options.

There are no accidents in who we meet, just purposeful interactions that make us better people.

Have fun with your flora...:thanks:

The Mighty Mitochondria
(Dedicated to Bode)

BioGenesis_-_Mitochondria.jpg

B = Biogenesis is healing on a cellular level
N = Neurogenesis is using Neurocannabis to create new brain cells.
M = Heal the Mitochondria to heal the brain.

Welcome to the answers to all of our problems. Hahahaha It sounds funny but it’s actually true. Please allow me to explain myself. Grab some medicine and a drink cause we are diving into details today.

In all of my journals you have learned about Neurocannabis – the concept of healing Neurodegenerative Diseases with the healing terpenes in Cannabis. This term is still in its’ infancy as we have worked almost two years to define the meaning and its’ applications in our own treatment plans.

But then we delve even deeper into the mysteries of Neurogenesis. Neurocannabis is one of many natural brain therapies called “Adult Neurogenesis” – the power to heal and create new brain cells through brain therapies that also include Cannabis as dosing medicine.

However, Bode lead me to the answers to all of my problems at a cellular level. May I introduce you to “The Mighty Mitochondria.” The batteries and power plants of our cells. If we want to heal on a cellular level, we must increase the power to think, the power to move, the power to live or die.

Here are scientific details that may answer some of your questions.

“The role of mitochondria in neurodegenerative diseases: mitochondria as a therapeutic target in Alzheimer’s disease

Abstract

Mitochondria are cytoplasmic organelles responsible for life and death. Extensive evidence from animal and clinical studies suggests that mitochondria play a critical role in aging, cancer, diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and Huntington's disease. Several lines of research suggest that mitochondrial oxidative damage is an important cellular change in most late-onset neurodegenerative diseases. Further, emerging evidence suggests that structural changes in mitochondria, including increased mitochondrial fragmentation and decreased mitochondrial fusion, are critical factors associated with mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death in aging and age-related diseases. In addition, epigenetic factors and lifestyle activities may contribute to selective disease susceptibility for each of these diseases. This paper discusses research that has elucidated features of mitochondria that are associated with cellular dysfunction in aging and neurodegenerative diseases. This paper also discusses mitochondrial abnormalities and potential mitochondrial therapeutics in AD.

mitochondria-4-638.jpg

------------------

Why are mitochondria important in neurodegenerative diseases?

Mitochondria are cytoplasmic organelles essential for life and death. They perform several cellular functions, including: 1) intracellular calcium regulation, 2) ATP production, 3) the release of proteins that activate the caspase family of proteases, 4) alteration of the reduction-oxidation potential of cells, and 5) free-radical scavenging (Reddy 2007). Mitochondria are compartmentalized into 2 lipid membranes: the outer mitochondrial membrane and the inner mitochondrial membrane. The outer membrane is porous and allows the passage of low molecular-weight substances between the cytosol and the inter-membrane space. The inner membrane provides a highly efficient barrier to ionic flow, houses the mitochondrial respiratory chain or electron transport chain (ETC), and covers the mitochondrial matrix, which contains tricarboxylic acid (TCA) and beta-oxidation. Mitochondria are transmitted maternally. However, in rare situations, paternal inheritance and a recombination of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) have been reported (reviewed in Reddy and Beal 2005).”

Now that we know the mighty mitochondria represents the light switch on the wall that determines whether our lights stay on or turn off, how do we change for the better. I always like to see what exactly I’m healing so I can do visualizations.

viruses-that-attack-the-nervous-system-may-thrive-by-disrupting-cell-function.jpg

------------------------

“Mitochondrial Biogenesis: A Therapeutic Target for Neurodevelopmental Disorders and Neurodegenerative Diseases

Abstract

In the developing and mature brain, mitochondria act as central hubs for distinct but interwined pathways, necessary for neural development, survival, activity, connectivity and plasticity. In neurons, mitochondria assume diverse functions, such as energy production in the form of ATP, calcium buffering and generation of reactive oxygen species. Mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to a range of neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative diseases, making mitochondria a potential target for pharmacological-based therapies. Pathogenesis associated with these diseases is accompanied by an increase in mitochondrial mass, a quantitative increase to overcome a qualitative deficiency due to mutated mitochondrial proteins that are either nuclear- or mitochondrial-encoded. "

By looking at this picture, we are seeing a healthy neuron vs. an unhealthy neuron in late stages of ALZ.

AD_Neuron.jpg

"This compensatory biological response is maladaptive, as it fails to sufficiently augment the bioenergetically functional mitochondrial mass and correct for the ATP deficit. Since regulation of neuronal mitochondrial biogenesis has been scantily investigated, our current understanding on the network of transcriptional regulators, co-activators and signaling regulators mainly derives from other cellular systems. The purpose of this review is to present the current state of our knowledge and understanding of the transcriptional and signaling cascades controlling neuronal mitochondrial biogenesis and the various therapeutic approaches to enhance the functional mitochondrial mass in the context of neurodevelopmental disorders and adult-onset neurodegenerative diseases.”

Mitochondrial_maintenance.jpg

---------------------------

5 Ways to Naturally Boost Your Mitochondria

1. Sun Exposure (Within reason)
The sun is one of the most powerful mitochondrial boosters in our arsenal for optimal health and wellbeing.

2. Cold Thermogenesis

Short bursts of exposure to extreme cold temperatures can up-regulate mitochondrial biogenesis (making new mitochondria) by tricking the body into thinking it has to enter survival mode. This short term stressor elicits the hormetic response. This is a real life example of the old adage "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".
About 20 seconds of exposure at 32 degrees F (0C) 3 times per week is enough to reap the benefits.

3. Intermittent Fasting

Numerous studies have linked caloric restriction to improved mitochondrial function and increased longevity.
Mitochondria in caloric restriction learn to increase oxygen efficiency, reduce oxidative stress byproducts, yet are able to "maintain critical ATP production". [4,5]
It's also theorized that refraining from continuous eating reduces mitochondrial free radical production.
You can achieve this effect without going on a hunger strike. Simply incorporate intermittent fasting into your life a few times per week to boost your mitochondria.
IF, as it is known, involves fasting"windows" of 16-20 hours per day, followed by 4-8 hour eating windows.

4. Move More

The average American sits for 13 hours a day. Add in the recommended 8 hours of sleep and we're sedentary for 21/24 hours each day - nearly 88% of our time. [6]
Mitochondria like exercise, activity, and movement, and humans are designed for movement. Feed your mitochondria as much movement as possible, focusing on variety and quality. For more on movement and it's connection to improved health.

5. Use Fat For Fuel

Mitochondria can use fatty acids or carbohydrates to create the ATP our cells need for energy.
However the ATP creation process from fat is more efficient and creates less free radicals as a by product.
This is a crucial consideration when looking at longevity and our overall lifecycle.
Consider these findings from a Yale study that discovered mitochondria adapt their function in response to sugar:

"We found that when sugar increases in the body, mitochondria in some brain neurons rapidly change their shape and their function is altered. These findings imply that alterations in this mechanism may contribute to the development of metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, in which the body is not able to clear high levels of sugar from the blood."

----------------------------------

Mitochondrial_graphic1.jpg

Feeding Your Mitochondria

In terms of nutrition, Emphasize the importance of the following nutrients; important co-factors needed for your mitochondrial enzymes to function properly:
• CoQ10 or ubiquinol (the reduced form)
• L-Carnitine, which shuttles fatty acids to the mitochondria
• D-ribose, which is raw material for ATP molecule
• Magnesium
• Omega-3 fatty acids
• All B vitamins, including riboflavin, thiamine, and B6
• Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA)

-----------------------

Conclusion

Meditation not only provides oxygen to the brain it lowers our stress level which makes it easier to create new brain cells. This also helps regulate the mitochondria movement and function.

We need to eat enough anti-oxidants that will allow the mitochondria to process healthy fats and feed the body with much needed nutrients and supplements we are sorely lacking.

Movement and exercise is critical to brain health and the overall physiology of our bodies.

Our oil therapies are an exceptional way to improve our mighty mitochondria.

In the end, we have the ability to create positive change in ourselves if we remain open to functional medicine and how we can heal our brain using natural therapies.

“Functional Medicine and the idea that every system in our body is connected—everything we eat, do, say, think, and how we live can influence all aspects of our health, including that of our brain.”

DSC05662a.jpg

Brainiac Headache & Migraine Topical Organic Oil - 1.0
  • (NOT EDIBLE or SMOKABLE<<<External use only!)

Thank you Ninja for the base recipe!

MAKE YOUR OWN!

Here is my collection of essential oils I have squirrelled away for years.

Be sure to check the ingredients of your oils and make sure they are good quality; you don’t want to add chemicals to your skin or brain to absorb.

When you choose your essential oils, names can be distractions, go by the smell and what it your initial reaction is to it. You should feel alert and allured by your favourite scent.

If you place your topical over your wrists, cannabis will be absorbed into your blood. If you get drug tested try to avoid that area. Your body processes the oils because they have healing supplements natural to your system and you want to stimulate Neuro Genesis to thrive.

Goddess

Rainforest

Coffee

Tea Tree

Peppermint Twist

Spa Spirit

Exhale

Liquid Sunshine

Tranquility

Pain Release

And a couple more I can’t remember.

----------------------

This is my strongest batch of oil, too strong to dose daily, but perfect for brain pain.

CBD x Indica x Sativa x Evoo x Lecithin = Healing Brain Oil Topical

------------------------

I added 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Twist & Rainforest for deep penetration!

-----------------------------

Added ¼ teaspoon onto my bandaid patch.

--------------------------

Apply patch to the back neck, above your top spine, right where you cerebellum is located. I leave it for as long as I can, hours even. Instantly it brings my temperature down with the contrast of goosebumps and shivers. After that initial breeze on my neck, I cover it with a towel to keep the heat in. Then it becomes a soothing treatment of warm bliss on my neck to calm me and reassure me that helps on the way.

As of today, I will do this every day for a week, and see if I can kick this 6 day headache. So far, I am improved 25% in brain pain just by one patch so far. I realize this needs to be a daily treatment if I’m going to treat these very painful headaches.

Chinese Medicine Chart - Apply oil to my feet as well especially my toes to target my brain.:p

Umbro tube socks - Cause anything soccer to me is fun and fantastic.

Cut them in half. :eek: See my soccer feet aka ballerina arches. Makes for powerful shots on goal.

Now we have spa socks to keep my oily feet warm and also wrist bands to keep my oily wrists warm.

Hope you get as much care from this as possible.:Namaste:

Brainiac Headache & Migraine Topical Organic Oil - 1.0
  • (NOT EDIBLE or SMOKABLE<<<External use only!)

Thank you Ninja for the base recipe!

MAKE YOUR OWN!

Here is my collection of essential oils I have squirrelled away for years.

Be sure to check the ingredients of your oils and make sure they are good quality; you don’t want to add chemicals to your skin or brain to absorb.

When you choose your essential oils, names can be distractions, go by the smell and what it your initial reaction is to it. You should feel alert and allured by your favourite scent.

If you place your topical over your wrists, cannabis will be absorbed into your blood. If you get drug tested try to avoid that area. Your body processes the oils because they have healing supplements natural to your system and you want to stimulate Neuro Genesis to thrive.

Goddess

Rainforest

Coffee

Tea Tree

Peppermint Twist

Spa Spirit

Exhale

Liquid Sunshine

Tranquility

Pain Release

And a couple more I can’t remember.

----------------------

This is my strongest batch of oil, too strong to dose daily, but perfect for brain pain.

CBD x Indica x Sativa x Evoo x Lecithin = Healing Brain Oil Topical

------------------------

I added 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Twist & Rainforest for deep penetration!

-----------------------------

Added ¼ teaspoon onto my bandaid patch.

Apply patch to the back neck, above your top spine, right where you cerebellum is located. I leave it for as long as I can, hours even. Instantly it brings my temperature down with the contrast of goosebumps and shivers. After that initial breeze on my neck, I cover it with a towel to keep the heat in. Then it becomes a soothing treatment of warm bliss on my neck to calm me and reassure me that helps on the way.

As of today, I will do this every day for a week, and see if I can kick this 6 day headache. So far, I am improved 25% in brain pain just by one patch so far. I realize this needs to be a daily treatment if I’m going to treat these very painful headaches.

Chinese Medicine Chart - Apply oil to my feet as well especially my toes to target my brain.:p

Umbro tube socks - Cause anything soccer to me is fun and fantastic.

Cut them in half. :eek: See my soccer feet aka ballerina arches. Makes for powerful shots on goal.

Now we have spa socks to keep my oily feet warm and also wrist bands to keep my oily wrists warm.

Hope you get as much care from this as possible.:Namaste:
Absolutely love this!! Thanks Lady G!

Dear Brainiacs, If you haven't noticed by now, 420 mag web site has changed. Some are happy like me because it's more accessible to me, some are upset that change has occurred. May I make this transition easier for you?

I am doing my best visiting journals to help out. If anyone subscribed here has issues, please contact me directly or post a question in your journal this way. @Grow2HealMe - Please help me

I absolutely care about your experience here enough to reach out and say, can I help you catch up in any way.

If you are as grateful about the website as I am - please visit this link and vote "Love it" and let us know you are going with the flow. Any positive feedback on your experience will balance this project immensely while the tech fixes are still in motion.

Brand New Forums & Gallery

I just want to let everyone know, that this site is going to be better than ever, and it's going to be just as special as it was before. Thank you for your loyalty and willingness to adapt, in return I offer you my help in any capacity.

Lady G:Namaste:

All my hard work and research is dedicated to those patients who have rare brain diseases like me. Especially those whom understand what it's like to walk blind in the brain and suffer silently. The thread has been pulled, up she goes into the west coast wind, with the best of intentions, over the motivational mountains as far as the rainbows can see. Thanks for the positivity, :peace: Much love...

High Lady G2,

I'm glad you took to the new changed on 420 Magazine. Wish I could say the same. I'm getting used to the changes though. Your spirit sounds sensational. I hope the patches do wonders for you. Looks like a really great idea. So glad your getting some relief from the PAIN! Until next time.

Today we lost a Brainiac (to cancer) purposely named here Queen Zena. She inspired me to write this spoken word and pour my heart out. Your writing is still here but the truth remains the same, you're gone...:love:

Dear Queen Zena,

Thank you for gracing my life with your presence.

Queen from the East Coast, a voice of royalty essence.

I spent my Christmas wrapping up medicine for you.

My husband and I wished your survival to be true.

We spoke on the phone and you taught me some lessons.

A conversation that was filled with inspirational sessions.

You joined our Brainiac group, a place for you to belong.

We enjoyed reading your posts as little or as long.

You inspired almost 20 people to assist in your journey.

I jumped from my seat and gave you all that I afford without money.

So much I wish I could have done for you and your future.

Telling me about the plate on your skull held by staple sutures.

I could relate to your passion and mission to get well.

I could relate to your willingness to fight like hell.

There is not much joy when you’re stuck in the bubble.

The walls become a casket and that’s not subtle.

I shared my sacred medicine that took 7 months to make.

Hoping this would add time to your life, give or take.

It crushes me to find out you’ve passed on.

It crushes me that it wasn’t the cancer gone.

Though I didn’t get to say goodbye.

I have dedicated many pages to you as I cry.

Thank you for coming all the way to this thread.

Your spirit remains alive here, your journey is not dead,

in fact we will paint the forum red, in your stead.

You are waaaay stronger than me and your spirit still carries on.

Your voice in my head will remind me to appreciate the dawn.

It’s so important to donate and help Brain Patients during tragedies.

One minute we are here, next minute we are just emotional memories.

So thank you to everyone here who helped Queen Zena feel so much love.

You are always surrounded by 420 family, now Zena fly off like a peaceful dove. @Guy Cavallero

Remember to appreciate each other and lift us up when we’re down.

No matter how many mistakes we make, turn that frown, upside down, and in Zena’s case, WITH A CROWN! ;)

Bless your heart from the Brainiacs!!!

View media item 1500588

Back
Top Bottom