Super Stealth First Grow with the Royal Dwarf

Quick question, so they're in vegetative stage now, when should I start reducing the light they get? I've been giving them 24/7 light since planting them...

There is a school of thought that plants benefit from some rest/sleep, you could also save on some electric?

All looking very nice! :thumb:

Looking good Grawgal, subbed....

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, i would have to say that an 18/6 light period is the way to go from about week 2ish. Roots grow better when the plant gets a bit of rest, i've noticed a big difference in my babies seemed slow to start and now there 22 days old tomorrow there growing quick now. Just be patient with them, try not to mother/water them to much and you'll be golden :thumb:

Good luck and HAPPY growing :peace:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the feedback on switching the lighting!!! :thanks::thanks:

I'll be following the consensus and give them 24/7 light for 2 weeks (so 12 more days) and then switch to 18hrs on/6 hrs off for 2 weeks. I cannot wait to be in the flower stage already, but I'll go with the 12/12 for the first 2 weeks then 11/13 for the rest of flower. Looking forward to the next few weeks of growth, thank you so much everybody for the help! This is my first grow and you're advice & insights are really helping! Thanks again!!!

Have a great weekend everyone! :rollit:

Day 2 of Veg Stage!

Both
Both_44.JPG

Leah
Leah_44.JPG

Luke
Luke_44.JPG

Those plants are pretty big for only 2 days since the seeds broke ground. The reason I go 11/13 instead of 12/12 is because it adds yield. It will take maybe a extra week until harvest but it is worth even a extra 5% yield. The 12/12 for the first 2 weeks is to ensure a flowering trigger to happen.

Strain: Royal Dwarf
Blend: 60% Sativa 10% Indica 30% Ruderalis
Indoor Coco perlite mix grow
Stage: Vegetative
Day in Stage: 9
Watering: Last watered with 6.1pH and 1/4 of nutes (TNT complex) on 4/6
Light: 3 Led light strips (Red:Blue light with 2:1 ratio)
Temperature: 70-75F
Humidity: ~45-50%

Thanks so much SmokerJoe, I'll start giving an hour less of light till they're at 18/6. Want to make the plants happiest and get a better yield of course. Thanks to dejayy3000, unfortunately sad to say that checked on the babes today and looks like Luke's sufferin at the moment.

Well 9 days into veg Leah is doing great & Luke is acting up. Luke has some weird spots and curling on 2 of the leaves, have no clue what's causing them and want to get some input before I water them again.

That said seems like both are growing at a great rate now.

Luke
Luke_Veg9a.jpg
Luke_V9C.JPG

Leah
Leah_Veg9a.JPG

Leah_Veg9b.JPG

The spots are the start of nutrient burn from over feeding your plants. Doesn't look to serious though. I'm no soil grower but you could try a good flush with plain water, R/O water if you have it, and then re-feed but back off on the nutes 15-20%.
Maybe wait for a soil grower to chime in. Its definitely nute burn, I'm just not sure of the best way to treat it in soil.
Good luck.;)

Thanks for the quick response stealthgrow! I last watered them on 4/6, they haven't had anything since then. What's R/O water? I was thinking of giving the plants 1L of water with 1/5 strength nutes.

I'm growing in coco perlite mix.

2 weeks ago, I gave each plant 500ml of water 2 weeks ago I was gi each every 2 days with 1/4 strength. Last week I gave them each 1l of water with 1/4 strength nutes. Been using TNT complex as the nute and have the water ph between 5.8-6.2.

R/O means reverse osmosis. It is water free of nutrients and contaminants. City water has tons of crud in it and a lot of that crud is actually added by your municipality. Fluoride,mercury,arsenic,ssri,urine,fecal matter,dissolved solids. I wont go into it to much because I could type a few pages of things on it but suffice to say r/o has none of that. I personally use city water for the plants. I let it sit out for 3 days before I use it on the plants. A brita filter or pur filter (pitcher filtration) is purely cosmetic. It doesnt get rid of chlorine or fluoride. Sitting the water out in a bucket for 3 days will get rid of the chlorine bond. On to the matter of the spots on the leaves. It is nutrient burn. Usually I dont give seedlings any nutrients until the 4th or 5th node because seedlings have nutrients from the seed as well as the soil will support the plants growth with not much fuss except the water. The nutrient burn damage wont repair but new growth wont show it if you flush with water. I Give enough water so that the runoff out the bottom(side for me I drilled holes) of the container is running clear. I personally dont give as much water as everyone seems to think is conventional for flushing because it leeches the soil and there is no need to give 3 times the container amount in water. Once you flush the nutrients dont water again until the soil is dry. I also would caution on stressing out over that nutrient burn as it is very slight and those leaves that have a burn will be manicured off anyways. My advice is to monitor the situation and if persists then flush but other then that dont flush. Flushing so soon will lead to other growing issues down the road and the roots dont like to be submerged in water.

Growing in coco/perlite offers the plants very little nutrition . I grow in organic soil and add amendments to the soil. I wouldnt flush especially considering your growing medium. Will you be using a better organic medium soon or do you intend to grow all the way through in coco/perlite? Are you planning on dwc/ebb&flow,wick(all hydroponics methods) or do you plan on being a soiless or organic soil grower? If you go hydro others around here are more qualified to answer specifics but I can still answer on general things however if you choose organic soil I can help you get from seedling to harvest no problem. Whatever you choose make sure you have the time and patience for that system. Enjoy your day :)

Subbed!

I'm working on my first grow as well. I looks like we started at close to the same time so I'm really keen to follow along and learn with you.

One thing I noticed while reading through your journal is the comments about light schedule. With your plant's Ruderalis (autoflower) genes they will flower on a time schedule rather than a light schedule. Perhaps I missed your reason to switch to 12/12 but if it's for anything other than saving some money on electricity I would question the benefits of such a short light cycle for an auto.

Again, I'm pretty green at this myself and I could be way off the mark. I ran 24/0 for 5 days, switched to 18/6 (once I bought a timer, lol) and will run with that 'till harvest.

Best wishes and happy growing!
/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid

Day in Stage: 10
Watered:
1L for Leah with 1/4 strength at 5.8 ph
2L for Luke with no nutes & 5.9 ph, 1L of water with 1/4 nutes & 5.9 ph.
Temperature: 70-75F
Humidity: ~50%

Thanks everybody! Thanks for the sub Obi Wan, loving your vibe and the fantastic Star Wars & weed refs already! And thanks Doopie for the advice on the lighting. So many things involved in a grow, but it's all so worth it! Appreciating every bit of bud I've ever smoked so much more now that I'm learning what goes into it.

To SmokerJoe, I'm working with the coco perlite because that's what I was easily able to find. In a couple weeks I'll check on what soil I can get a hold of, hopefully I can find something better for the next batch.

Re: watering, I've been giving them tap water that I've run through the brita filter. So many grow journals that say to leave out water for a couple days and since you said it I'm going to start doing it too, gonna give the girls every little thing I can.

I was pretty worried about Luke. Today his leaves felt a lot less dried out than yesterday. I gave him 2 liters of water today (no nutes and a ph of 5.9), then gave him a liter with 1/4 nutes. Leah I gave a liter with 1/4 nutes.

Here are the pictures of ~24hours after the last post's pics. Noticed today that both have a strong stem, feels so different than when they were seedlings. Leah's leaves are looking good and luckily it seems like both plants are growing out rather than up so much because I've got limited space for them. I'm getting really excited by the growth. I'm a real first timer so getting this far feels amazing. Hope Luke with pop up the next nodes so I can get a read of the nutes, hoping the next nodes show up by the end of the weekend...but we'll see.

:yummy:

Have a great weekend everyone!
:rollit: :Namaste:

Both 4/11:
Both_411.JPG

Luke:
Luke_411a.JPG

Luke_411b.JPG

Leah:
Leah_411a.JPG

Yeah they will be fine they are over that nutrient burn with no ill effect. I figured it wasnt anything requiring a reaction. Your doing good. I give my plants a touch of honey every once in awhile they love being treated good. I give them juice squeezed from a piece of orange. The flavors come out at the end if you are consistent. Have a good day

Day in Stage: 12
Watered:
1L for Leah with 1/2 strength nutes, water at 5.9 ph
1L for Luke with 1/5 strength nutes, water at 5.9 ph
Temperature: ~70F

Looks like Luke and Leah are both growing fast and doing much better. Luke has a spot from the nutes burn on one of the newer fan leaves, but it looks like the nuts burn isn't persisting. I gave Lukw 1/5 strength nutes today so that he's fed. Leah is growing pretty steadily. Hopefully the nuts burn chapter is over. Almost 2 weeks into veg stage now...

Both:
Both_413.JPG

Leah:
Leah_413.JPG

Luke:
Luke_413a.JPG
Luke_413b.JPG

Nute burn is a very common problem that you will see for however long you choose to grow. It isnt fatal usually but it can be. The growth looks good and the plants re progressing as they should. The next watering dont add nutes but the watering after you can go up to 1/2 strength with no issues.

All that new growth looks really nice!

Don't be afraid to give them plain ph'd water for a watering or two. They will be fine. It's so easy to kill them with good intentions at this stage.

Day in Stage: 16
Watered:
1.5L for Leah with 1/2 strength nutes, water at 6 ph once
1.5L for Luke with 1/4 strength nutes, water at 6 ph

Temperature: ~70F

Well folks, both girls have some crazy discoloring which is breaking my heart. Hope we can remedy the girls. Poor things... :yikes:

As soon as I found em today I gave each 1.5L of water with a 6 ph. The runoff was very clear.
:thedoubletake:

Both today
Both417.jpg

Luke today
Luke417b.jpg
Luke417.jpg

Leah today
Leah417c.jpg
Leah417a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom