Thanks Radogast :)

Here's the progress on the Tincture Teddies after one day. The tincture level was below the bears, so they are certainly soaking it up.
Comparison:

tincture_teddies_3.jpg

Details of the face etc. are probably going to be lost. The main issue I see here is that they may turn to mush if they are left in the liquid too long. They will certainly melt away if kept at room temperature. Refrigerating is supposed to stop that process and keep the alcohol from dissipating, but I would like to find a way to not keep them in the tincture yet keep the infusion in them.
So, I'm doing a little experiment with some cornstarch.

Thanks Radogast :)

Here's the progress on the Tincture Teddies after one day. The tincture level was below the bears, so they are certainly soaking it up.
Comparison:

tincture_teddies_3.jpg

Details of the face etc. are probably going to be lost. The main issue I see here is that they may turn to mush if they are left in the liquid too long. They will certainly melt away if kept at room temperature. Refrigerating is supposed to stop that process and keep the alcohol from dissipating, but I would like to find a way to not keep them in the tincture yet keep the infusion in them.
So, I'm doing a little experiment with some cornstarch.

Is it a dissolving/absorption thingy?.. too much alcohol/liquid maybe?
maybe a very strong herb tincture/extract or just kief dissolved in a little EverClear, and then allow yummies to absorb the small amount of liquid?
if you make your own you can add a little more gelatin?...:)

got to get some good vibration- going :tokin:

:)

Is it a dissolving/absorption thingy?.. too much alcohol/liquid maybe?
maybe a very strong herb tincture/extract or just kief dissolved in a little EverClear, and then allow yummies to absorb the small amount of liquid?
if you make your own you can add a little more gelatin?...:)

got to get some good vibration- going :tokin:

:)

From what I've been reading of people who make "drunken gummy bears", there is an issue with them turning into a jelly-ish state after time. So, yeah...I guess dissolving would be the correct term. One person posted a trick to keep them from doing that by covering them in cornstarch for a few hours (in the fridge) and then brushing the corn starch off when they firmed up again. That's what I'm experimenting with.

THCristi didn't say that they dissolved on her when she made them, but I'm pretty sure she left them in the tincture even after they had plumped. I'm trying to confirm that.
She tried to "dry" them by putting them in a food dehydrator, and that went horribly wrong. They melted all over her dehydrator and counter. oops.....

Then there is a point about the brand of gummies used. The Haribo brand are supposed to be best because they do have more gelatin, unlike the cheaper brands. I don't have the Haribo brand, but I am looking around when I do my shopping on Friday for the cooking this weekend.

I do want to try making my own gummies, but I have zero for molds here. Darn it. :laugh:

GangaDoctor, can you post a pic of your homemade gummies?

From what I've been reading of people who make "drunken gummy bears", there is an issue with them turning into a jelly-ish state after time. So, yeah...I guess dissolving would be the correct term. One person posted a trick to keep them from doing that by covering them in cornstarch for a few hours (in the fridge) and then brushing the corn starch off when they firmed up again. That's what I'm experimenting with.

THCristi didn't say that they dissolved on her when she made them, but I'm pretty sure she left them in the tincture even after they had plumped. I'm trying to confirm that.
She tried to "dry" them by putting them in a food dehydrator, and that went horribly wrong. They melted all over her dehydrator and counter. oops.....

Then there is a point about the brand of gummies used. The Haribo brand are supposed to be best because they do have more gelatin, unlike the cheaper brands. I don't have the Haribo brand, but I am looking around when I do my shopping on Friday for the cooking this weekend.

I do want to try making my own gummies, but I have zero for molds here. Darn it. :laugh:

GangaDoctor, can you post a pic of your homemade gummies?

you dont need molds to make gummy drops :circle-of-love: :Namaste:

you can make your own :thumb: use your store bought yummies as a shape..gently attach with a toothpick or skewer :circle-of-love: and mold your corn starch..:)

How to make homemade gummy candy for Halloween - Chatelaine

Well, thank you for that! I was just looking at silicone molds and I didn't see any that had good facial features. LOL
I'll check that link out right now. Still waiting on a satellite internet dude, was supposed to be here at 8:00 a.m. Ha ha ha.....

Well, thank you for that! I was just looking at silicone molds and I didn't see any that had good facial features. LOL
I'll check that link out right now. Still waiting on a satellite internet dude, was supposed to be here at 8:00 a.m. Ha ha ha.....

i hear 'The Satellite Guy' is related to 'The Cable Guy'

:rofl:

8am EST?

I just tossed the test bear in a strainer to get the cornstarch off, then I used a trick from the link you sent and used a tiny amount of canola oil to keep it from being sticky. It's resting on a plate now on the counter. We'll see if it melts. If it doesn't, then this worked.
I would still keep them refrigerated, but I won't have to keep them in the tincture.

Next test...potency and taste. Not 'till this weekend.

:thumb:

i hear 'The Satellite Guy' is related to 'The Cable Guy'

8am EST?

Yeah, EST
Three problems right off the bat....they scheduled at the wrong time that had been confirmed with Hughesnet, I would have been at work. So, the contractor boss said he would call the installer to call me for a reschedule for morning. Never got the call, called the boss back...yeah it's confirmed for 8:00 a.m, but it's a new guy for him and he's not real familiar with how he is as an "employee" yet? Said it's possible he might have personal errands to run first. ROFL Then he says the new guy is not fully equipped to complete the job today, and that he would start it with what he has.....
Said he would have him call me to confirm again, never got a call. Still waiting.
I have a feeling this is not going to happen correctly today before I leave for work. :laugh:

EDIT: The planning for an installer to be in my house ....well...I had "plants" everywhere and one of them is flowering and is fairly stinky. I spent a couple hours after work last night getting all of that out of the area of view and smell. There is no lighting where the plants are at the moment, just window light and most of the plants are in veg. I sure hope this doesn't wind up with flowering or god forbid...hermie, because of this taking more than one day. Grrr......

Yeah, EST
Three problems right off the bat....they scheduled at the wrong time that had been confirmed with Hughesnet, I would have been at work. So, the contractor boss said he would call the installer to call me for a reschedule for morning. Never got the call, called the boss back...yeah it's confirmed for 8:00 a.m, but it's a new guy for him and he's not real familiar with how he is as an "employee" yet? Said it's possible he might have personal errands to run first. ROFL Then he says the new guy is not fully equipped to complete the job today, and that he would start it with what he has.....
Said he would have him call me to confirm again, never got a call. Still waiting.
I have a feeling this is not going to happen correctly today before I leave for work. :laugh:

EDIT: The planning for an installer to be in my house ....well...I had "plants" everywhere and one of them is flowering and is fairly stinky. I spent a couple hours after work last night getting all of that out of the area of view and smell. There is no lighting where the plants are at the moment, just window light and most of the plants are in veg. I sure hope this doesn't wind up with flowering or god forbid...hermie, because of this taking more than one day. Grrr......

you ever see the movie The Cable Guy??

i wasn't joking completely with my Satellite guy comment

I just tossed the test bear in a strainer to get the cornstarch off, then I used a trick from the link you sent and used a tiny amount of canola oil to keep it from being sticky. It's resting on a plate now on the counter. We'll see if it melts. If it doesn't, then this worked.
I would still keep them refrigerated, but I won't have to keep them in the tincture.

Next test...potency and taste. Not 'till this weekend.

:thumb:

FYI - Dental Hygenists HATE gummy bears. They leave a sugary film on your teeth that STRONGLY promote bacterial based tooth decay. They are right up there with Dew Mouth. (Don't do the Dew !)

As a public service announcement would say:

Brush your teeth after chewing (scrub off the film)
or rinse your teeth with ample water (modify the PH to kill growing bacteria.)

/rant off

So the satellite installer and I were forced to run the cable through the back porch, until it can be buried in the spring.....yeah. Not thinking I would have to access that area, it had some soil and a couple of harvested plant pots, and a few dead leaves lying on top of the soil. I asked him to please excuse my winter gardening area. He replied "Yeah, you do the same kind of gardening I do. I recognize those leaves." We both had a good laugh, discussed the laws a bit and then went on with our project.

:laugh:

Please, if you try to make these...keep away from children or those who do not use cannabis.

Now, here's how these things turned out. After leaving one of them sit for a day, it shrunk back down to normal size. I assume that's because the everclear had evaporated.

Infused on the left, regular on the right:

Tincture_teddies_4.jpg

After two days in the fridge, the bears had doubled in size and soaked up a lot of liquid:

tincture_teddies_5.jpg

I strained them of the liquid:

tincture_teddies_6.jpg

This is how much liquid was left:

tincture_teddies_7.jpg

They went into a bowl of sifted cornstarch and I tossed them around gently to coat them. I was surprised that only two of them had stuck together in the process:

tincture_teddies_8.jpg

I left them in there for one day, and then put them back into the strainer and tossed to get the cornstarch off.

tincture_teddies_9.jpg

Then I tossed them lightly in a small amount of canola oil and put them on a plate in a single layer:

tincture_teddies_11.jpg

I'll let them sit in the fridge for another day.

tincture_teddies_10.jpg

So, in the end. This was a lot of work because of having to do the cornstarch and the straining/sifting and mess :laugh: to keep them from being sticky and melting. I had to hand pick some clumps of cornstarch off them after coating them with the oil. It seems to have worked, and I'll present them in a jar after I've tested one. I am very interested to see if the cannabis completely absorbed into them and stayed there. I really wonder how much was absorbed into the cornstarch.....only a test will tell. They do smell like tincture.

I think I'll use that leftover tincture to do a few more, and not use the cornstarch. I want to see if they get too sticky after drying...or what happens without the corn starch.

This weekends' menu is much healthier! Promise :)

Back
Top Bottom