The Munki's Playground

Thanks BD. Well if you aren't flooding your rootzone then draining it, then you can drain to waste which is what is done in soil grows. Can you use Aquaglobes? They can get you through a pinch. Otherwise a drain to waste may work if you have a good catch basin. This can be risky; worst case scenario is that the whole reservoir pumps out in one shot flooding your grow space. Think if you could handle that while away or would that be devastation? If so, those aqua globes look pretty attractive for safety margin reasons alone.

:goodluck: with whatever you choose to do.

Thanks Munki, good food for thought. I should have said I'm in 2 liter hempies and have a bunch closely packed together so water globes are impractical.

I think I'd be ok, at most I'd need enough for 2-3 waterings and the overflow container could handle that if it all pumped out at once. That would buy me a week away from the grow which would be perfect. Even if it all pumped out the first watering I think they'd probably make it.

I couldn't think of the name of those aquaglobes - just had a similar discussion in my thread. I've been thinking of growing some hempies in perlite and wondered if you could use aquaglobes on those in a pinch (if you had to be away a few days). Wasn't sure if anybody has tried that with hempies or if there would be a better way...

I'm not even sure they'd work in a hempy, wouldn't they just empty out with the excess going out the overflow hole? Would be good to test.

As usual you are doing a great job Munki.

I noticed that you adjusted your WB in some of those photos. If you don't mind my asking, what temperature did you set it at? Is that all you changed? Maybe your ISO, flash timing....?

Thanks in advance brother. Hope life is slowing down a bit for ya.

I couldn't think of the name of those aquaglobes - just had a similar discussion in my thread. I've been thinking of growing some hempies in perlite and wondered if you could use aquaglobes on those in a pinch (if you had to be away a few days). Wasn't sure if anybody has tried that with hempies or if there would be a better way...

I didn't try it in my 100% perlite hempies, but maybe if there is enough vermiculite as that can be spongy which would seem to hold but wick moisture better than perlite. I like perlite over vermiculite for flood and drain systems.

As usual you are doing a great job Munki.

I noticed that you adjusted your WB in some of those photos. If you don't mind my asking, what temperature did you set it at? Is that all you changed? Maybe your ISO, flash timing....?

Thanks in advance brother. Hope life is slowing down a bit for ya.

The pics are from a Canon PowerShot S1 IS camera circa 2003. Still works well. The WB can be set on this camera by pointing it at a white area to be photographed. I just click the set button when pointing at the buckets. It is very convenient to set. It may not be totally color correct, but it looks good enough to see what is going on and I can snap off a set of shots in under a minute.

Well day 14 is drawing to a close and I gotta say WOW to the growth lately. :yikes: Keep in mind I'm only checking on these ladies every other day so the pics you see are what I see without peeking in between. It adds to the wow factor for sure at least at this stage in the growth.

I'll need to get back in the tent tomorrow for some under trimming and powdery mildew treatment. Spotted some on the low sections and will want to stay on top of it.

033111-pic1.JPG
033111-pic5.JPG

For heights, the grow rock level would be at the 18 - 19 inch mark on the tape measure.

033111-pic21.JPG
033111-pic31.JPG
033111-pic41.JPG

Had to raise up the larger light to accommodate the growth. Thinking of a HST tech on the fast shoots to try and keep it even. The LEDs give good leeway in distance from the panel. For several inches away, the LUX reading I get do not fall off very fast. I attribute that to the lenses in the LED panels focusing the light. Nice as the plants were not burned.

033111-pic6.JPG

Now there is better coverage ... at least for a little while. ;)

They sure do look happy Munki!

They have been showing their happiness for sure. Just need to watch the lower, shaded parts of the plants for PM.

More vertical growth noted over past 2 days, though flowering is becoming evident. Stretch should be slowing down now. Brought up the lights about an inch after the pics were taken.

040211-pic1.JPG
040211-pic2.JPG
040211-pic3.JPG
040211-pic4.JPG
040211-pic5.JPG

Really healthy looking plants, Munki. :goodjob:

I'm sure they'll pay you back dearly for taking such good care of them! :yummy:

They are looking quite healthy overall.

Today I sprayed down the foliage with SNS-244 Fungicide Spray. I tried it out on my mothers and seems to have worked well. It does stain or darken the stems but did not kill them or brown any leaves. Pics tomorrow.

Did not note any major area of PM so the SNS spray helped. Growth still stretching upwards. Clicked up the lights 4 notches which appears to be about 1 inch. Left the smaller light at the same height. Pics are from before light raised.

040411-pic1.JPG
040411-pic2.JPG
040411-pic3.JPG

Flower Day 20. Did some pruning on the undersides of the plants today. PM was well controlled on the leaves I saw. There was some white residue on a few leaves that had higher levels of mildew, but it did not look like active patches. So far, so good with the SNS mildew treatment.

Plants are still rocketing in growth. :whoa: Could be a concern in lighting such monsters. I don't have the sun...well I can get close if I want my power meter to spin off the wall! :yikes:

Lights have been raised again to compensate for the growth.

Anyways, onward with the pics!

040611-pic2.JPG
040611-pic4.JPG
040611-pic3.JPG

Here is a side shot from before trimming...

040611-pic1.JPG

...and here is the same shot after the trim.

040611-pic5.JPG

The reservoir gets low when pumped out at this point. Probably about 9 gallons which is cutting it close. Will be changing out on Friday.

040611-pic7.JPG

High Munki, that is one lush lookin garden :thumb:

I've seen some stuff about defoliation, particularly near the 21st day of flower, and again on the 45th. Do you think that may help with air circulation, and help keep the PM in check?

Hey Munki! What an awesome pic I love it :thumb:

They always look really cool.

Do you notice any shock when you prune the girls like that?

They should be slowing down soon don't you think? How much height can you handle? :peace:

We shall see how the plants look in a couple days to see how they handle it. Don't expect too much stress; look back at my 3 x 3 ScrOG grow and you'll see that I removed about 60 - 70 % of the leaves on that grow and the plants rebounded astonishingly quick. I figure the plants have stored energy to deal with an animal coming by and eating some of its foliage.

Hoping they stop growing vertically soon. I have plenty of height in the tent. It can go to 7 feet. Problem is lighting such a monster. The lower portions will not get enough light in indoor grows. Outdoors, the sun will be at equal intensity throughout the height of the plant except where it does get shaded. No issues with inverse square law when it comes to the sun since it is so far away.

High Munki, that is one lush lookin garden :thumb:

I've seen some stuff about defoliation, particularly near the 21st day of flower, and again on the 45th. Do you think that may help with air circulation, and help keep the PM in check?

The strain I'm growing is sensitive to PM so I will get it somewhat regardless of what I do. Just trying to mitigate its spread and not let it get out of hand. The trimming I just did at day 20 should help tremendously.

The strain I'm growing is sensitive to PM so I will get it somewhat regardless of what I do. Just trying to mitigate its spread and not let it get out of hand. The trimming I just did at day 20 should help tremendously.

Gotcha ;)

I haven't had White Powder Mold problems, but I do get some grey stuff on the clones' soil sometimes. The SNS stuff knocks it right out :thumb:

Gotcha ;)

I haven't had White Powder Mold problems, but I do get some grey stuff on the clones' soil sometimes. The SNS stuff knocks it right out :thumb:

Heard gray mold can be devastating so it must be nice to have the SNS spray in your arsenal.

Day 22, so starting flower week 4. Just changed out the reservoir. Here is what I added to 22 gallons of water.

44 mL of Dutch Master Gold silica
175 mL of General Hydroponics Flora Series Micro
350 mL of General Hydroponics Flora Series Bloom
110 mL of General Hydroponics liquid Kool-Bloom
22 ounces of Sierra Natural Science 604B Flowering Organic Growth Stimulator

I did not need to add any pH up or down. The silica appears to have balanced out the GH nutes. Ended up in the 5.5 to 5.6 range. Confirmed it with a hand held meter so the pH on the continuous is accurate.

040811-pic4.JPG

Been a bit cold the past few days and the res temp confirms it. This coupled with the trimming probably slowed the growth of the plants somewhat. No worries here!

040811-pic1.JPG
040811-pic2.JPG
040811-pic3.JPG

:peacetwo:

Gotcha ;)

Heard gray mold can be devastating so it must be nice to have the SNS spray in your arsenal.

Morning Munki! Those poor girls really look stunted from the cold lol! I'm bracing for the heat which is right around the corner where I'm at.

Few questions about the SNS line, would you recommend using the mold spray as a preventative or just when you see some pm? I've been plagued by mold I hate that stuff.

Also I wasn't paying attention but were you using the 604a? I'm wondering when to switch, my oldest are now day 30 of 12/12. My youngest is day 1 but most of them are day 20 - 30.

This is another issue I didn't anticipate with my staggered grow, I hate having multiple batches of water/nutes for the girls - these 10 get this, these 10 get that, the seedlings get something else.

One things for sure this pH meter is paying for itself in a hurry I love it.

What strain(s) are you growing? I can't keep track with my dwindling brain cells wonder why :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom