The perfect LED grow light?

PurpleGunRack

What's your take on the ultimate LED growlight?

Which features are essential?
Which features are important?
Which features are less important?
Which features are unimportant?

Tell them what you want, and they might build it :)

What's your take on the ultimate LED growlight?
Tell them what you want, and they might build it :)
:idea::idea::idea: I want one that reads the plants and automatically generates the perfect spectrum at the perfect intensity for maximum growth and yield in the current growing conditions. :idea::idea::idea:

Well, you asked :snowboating:

And what would you be willing to pay for this sci-fi lamp ? :D

I'd pay $100 CAD / sq ft of coverage - so $800 CAD / $600 USD in a 2' x 4' tent for this magic lamp. It would help if it came with three wishes, so I could get an immediate return on my investment :rofl:

Safety first it’s got to be safe and reliable.

Performance second, there is a lot of great lighting options and something perfect would need to be better.

Cost including energy savings third, if it’s perfect it can have a higher initial cost but needs to be more energy efficient than other lights to justify that cost.

Built in features fourth, dimming and things like power switches (why don’t lights come with switches?). I don’t want anything inconvenient about a perfect light.

Gimmicks last, WiFi and built in timers that simulate sunrise and sunset are fun. Maybe if you could customize lighting profiles, so you could for instance have a 16 week Sativa profile that differs from an 8 week Indica profile. It should be easy to add and remove additional lights that automatically use these profiles. Maybe since it’s already got WiFi it could have built in sensors for the environment like humidity and temperature displaying on a nice interface on your phone or computer.

I don’t know I’m high but those sound like good things to me.

:passitleft:

Safety first it’s got to be safe and reliable.

Performance second, there is a lot of great lighting options and something perfect would need to be better.

Cost including energy savings third, if it’s perfect it can have a higher initial cost but needs to be more energy efficient than other lights to justify that cost.

Built in features fourth, dimming and things like power switches (why don’t lights come with switches?). I don’t want anything inconvenient about a perfect light.

Gimmicks last, WiFi and built in timers that simulate sunrise and sunset are fun. Maybe if you could customize lighting profiles, so you could for instance have a 16 week Sativa profile that differs from an 8 week Indica profile. It should be easy to add and remove additional lights that automatically use these profiles. Maybe since it’s already got WiFi it could have built in sensors for the environment like humidity and temperature displaying on a nice interface on your phone or computer.

I don’t know I’m high but those sound like good things to me.

That's what I'm talking about :)

Tangible and listed in order of importance, thanks mate :passitleft:

why don’t lights come with switches?

I guess it's because people hook their lights up to timers.
It's quite easy to ''install'' a switch, just cut the power cable andconnect each end to a switch from ie. an old lamp.

The switches/app possibilities will most likely come from a third party company - see Amelech zigbee controller.

I'll just tag on a couple features or design elements.

A light that covers your entire grow space evenly (no hot spot in the middle and readings that fall off towards the edges). I suppose that's possible to do with a strip build that has more diodes on the outer edges than in the center.

Fanless to reduce noise. Moving to a strip build vs 4 old blurple lights with fans sure did reduce the noise coming from my tent.

Adjustable spectrum from 2700-4000k. Maybe it could be like a modular strip build where you could snap in different strips. That would also be cool for future upgradability.

It's quite easy to ''install'' a switch, just cut the power cable andconnect each end to a switch from ie. an old lamp.
I have an expensive Timber light, I’m not cutting anything on it. The driver, timer, and power strip are all outside my tent between the tent and wall so it’s not very convenient to turn it off. The dimmer is accessible so I just turn it down to 10% or whatever when I’m working in the tent.

I have an expensive Timber light, I’m not cutting anything on it. The driver, timer, and power strip are all outside my tent between the tent and wall so it’s not very convenient to turn it off. The dimmer is accessible so I just turn it down to 10% or whatever when I’m working in the tent.

Maybe you could install a "Clapper" :rofl:

Dimmers (including all the way down to off) for both red and blue spectrums are table stakes for me at this point. I would rate this as critically important. As important as the quality of the LED light technology.
Is that in addition to 'white' light, or do you want total spectrum control?

Is that in addition to 'white' light, or do you want total spectrum control?
In a perfect world, total spectrum control. Most companies aren’t there yet, so you have to settle (for now) with two dimmers - one for blue spectrum ranges traditionally associated with veg and one for red spectrum ranges traditionally associated with flower. A lot of companies already have IR baked into the red/ flower side and are now starting to introduce targeted UVA as well. My perfect light would be liquid cooled and have about 8 dimmers :)

I try to grab/ test LEDs however frequently it makes sense given what comes up for sale around me, and I’ve started to get pretty good at (quickly) determining which ones are solid and which ones aren’t just with plants in veg. My observation thus far has been spectrum control and dimmers are very important. I really like my experience with Advanced LED, ChilLED Logic pucks are pretty good, Ceres LED are shit (sorry), several other are shit that I won’t list. UVA/IR COBs I’m still on the fence about - same with far red. I’m running a 12 COB booster board I built (6x IR - 6x UVA) at full blast for 4 hours a day right now and so far I’ve seen absolutely no noticeable impact. First go at it, so we’ll see what happens. Looking at comparative grows of this strain under HPS, I would’ve expected to see a more dramatic impact, but I’ll be patient. Far red seems a bit like snake oil to me, but it’s cheap enough that I don’t really care TBH.

Lightweight.
programmable as far as intensity and time and custom spectrum mixing via bluetooth/cell phone.
Ramp up and down feature. (Sundown,sunset)
easily repairable/upgradable.
Efficient
Waterproof/dustproof.

programmable as far as intensity and time and custom spectrum mixing via bluetooth/cell phone.

I'm not a fan of 'Apps' for phones to control anything. My problem with them is that at least two 'Apps' need to be written and maintained. I'd much rather see one universal 'App' written in HTML/Javascript. This would also open up control to any device capable of running a browser.

Dimmers (including all the way down to off) for both red and blue spectrums are table stakes for me at this point. I would rate this as critically important. As important as the quality of the LED light technology.

Thanks for the feedback :passitleft:

Dimming to off is not possible with many drivers.

I'm sorry to say that you're in the danger-zone of being scammed...

Would you really rather want a fully tuneable lamp with mono diodes from 1979, than a simple output dimmable lamp with diodes from 2019? :p

We would need to know how to use the spectrum for each phenotype at different stages of its lifecycle or indeed designed to each daily cycle.
Nobody knows how these spectral changes affects cannabis plants, especially not when the plants are receiving 1000 PPFD, so we'd just be turning the knobs blindly... :)

The spectrum is less important as the intensity increases and it's easy to supplement the high efficiency white light LEDs with specific colors.

Actually Old Salts idea where the plants are monitored by a computer system would be needed to take full advantage of full spectral control, we humans don't have a way to consistently diagnose a plant on a micro-level, and our brains don't have the data capacity to remember all the signs and traits correctly.
So though it might be total sci-fi at the moment, it's probably gonna happen in the agricultural industry before we know it, with each corn plant, chicken etc. beings monitored and automatically treated accordingly, well it's kinda already happening on a lower level

In my opinion it's a good idea to not let oneself get to enchanted by the promise of spectral control(YET!)
When we know more about light and plants in general we might find more of those instances where certain wavelengths at certain times give us a desirable effect, like using 730nm for an hour at the end of the day and 15 minutes into the dark cycle will shorten flowering time.
The more we know the more interesting control becomes, but at this point in time assuming personal control of the entire spectral output is like herding cats :D

Ramp up and down feature. (Sundown,sunset)

Thanks for pitching in :passitleft:

-See this
The switches/app possibilities will most likely come from a third party company - see Amelech zigbee controller.

You can easily build a lamp with different CCTs on different drivers controlled by the Zigbees, and/or have simple wifi on/off switches (like Sonoff) for supplemental color specific wavelengths, and control it automatically with apps.

But again my opinion is that the cost of such systems are too high compared to the benefits that are unknown :)
I think that at this point in time it only makes sense for big grows where statistically viable split testing is possible, or for the light geeks who don't care about the cost of components.

I understand the selling point of an automatic daily intensity cycle mimicking the sun, and partial/full spectral control, and I've been close to spending a lot of money on these things many times, but I just can't justify it to myself when I don't know what I'll achieve by doing it.
I know adding more light will give me more and/or better bud, so that's a justifiable purchase in my grow-operation.

Thanks for the feedback :passitleft:

Dimming to off is not possible with many drivers.

I'm sorry to say that you're in the danger-zone of being scammed...

Would you really rather want a fully tuneable lamp with mono diodes from 1979, than a simple output dimmable lamp with diodes from 2019? :p

We would need to know how to use the spectrum for each phenotype at different stages of its lifecycle or indeed designed to each daily cycle.
Nobody knows how these spectral changes affects cannabis plants, especially not when the plants are receiving 1000 PPFD, so we'd just be turning the knobs blindly... :)

The spectrum is less important as the intensity increases and it's easy to supplement the high efficiency white light LEDs with specific colors.

In my opinion it's a good idea to not let oneself get to enchanted by the promise of spectral control(YET!)
When we know more about light and plants in general we might find more of those instances where certain wavelengths at certain times give us a desirable effect, like using 730nm for an hour at the end of the day and 15 minutes into the dark cycle will shorten flowering time.
The more we know the more interesting control becomes, but at this point in time assuming personal control of the entire spectral output is like herding cats :D
Thanks for pitching in :passitleft:
And no problem, always love to pitch in :)[/QUOTE]

I think for led grow lights, most important stuff is : spectrum, chips quality, light output and light efficiency (ppf, ppfd). All for growing great plants. :D And we are trying to work on our lights to achieve this better and better. :Namaste:

Far red seems a bit like snake oil to me,
I agree with you. I have an 1100k deep-far red cob. I turn mine on for about 30min before lights out and 30 after lights on. I've seen no difference in flowering times whatsoever.

It sound kind of generic, but I think the perfect growlight is the one that is perfect for your environment. There is a guy I know that grows underground in two 4x4s and a 5x5. He grows beautiful plants, still using 1000w hps to this very day... moral being that those are the perfect lights for him.

My perfect light, in my current tent (32"x48"x60"), would be what I have now which is 2 qb288 V1s in 4000k, (now the part I dont have) plus 4 65w boards in 2700k attached to my light and angled about 5° upwards. This would result in perfect flowering coverage, just crank up the 2700k when I hit flowering. No need for fancy apps and computer stuff in my world.

Actually going to be getting 2 65w qb120s, one in 2700k and one in 3000k, to test which spectrum would be the best to mix with my 4000k boards.

Over the last 25 years I have moved from 48 inch fluorescents to a 400 MH analog to a 600 mh/hps digital ballast and now have gone to 600 watts of CF Grow's X-2 cree 3590 4K cobs with glass dispersion lenses. These grow two large plants in 15 gallon pots in a 5' x 4' x10' space. These put out more light, more evenly, and with less excess heat than all its predecessors. And they easily matched my historical production of my hps light. Plus it looks great as the plants are green as they should be which is great for photos! Not really dissing red/blue lights, I have one and its useful, I just can't stand my plants looking like poinsettia's!!

Back
Top Bottom