TheFrizz - Girl Scout Cookie Autos In RDWC - A Defoliation Experiment!

Can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think I should have stayed home today....

Maybe get a fifth bucket and make use of the left side of tent, however low the light level. Rotate the buckets through the left side to better see which one should actually be culled, if at all.

Seedlings hardly tell genetic makeup. They are susceptible due to a small, tender root. Flowering is the only true way to see strong genes n pheno types.

I knew I should have stayed home today...subbed!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think I should have stayed home today....

Maybe get a fifth bucket and make use of the left side of tent, however low the light level. Rotate the buckets through the left side to better see which one should actually be culled, if at all.

Seedlings hardly tell genetic makeup. They are susceptible due to a small, tender root. Flowering is the only true way to see strong genes n pheno types.

I knew I should have stayed home today...subbed!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks Sweeet! I agree that every seedling contains potentially valuable genetic information. Here are the pros and cons I am balancing:

Reasons to keep seedling:
-Might contain an awesome phenotype
-It cost ~10 bucks for the seed

Reasons to discard seedling:
-It has underdeveloped roots and leaves (same as the "Derpy" of my last grow looked as a seedling, she was behind from the start and never caught up)
-I am only legally allowed to have 4 plants
-The RDWC system is setup for 4 buckets and they are all attached together so it would be challenging to incorporate a 5th bucket

I might just compromise and find her a new home, then she still gets to grow up, someone else gets a free plant, and my conscience is clean :thumb:

Hi folks! So today I noticed that significant leaf growth had occurred in the last 24 hrs so I looked at the roots and they have already reached the water! :cheer: Keep in mind, I transplanted these 4 days ago. Last grow it took 8 days for the roots to hit the water, so, it definitely seems like soaking the hydroton in HydroGuard and Earth Juice Catalyst before transplanting improved the pace of root development! Each morning I have been top feeding the plants with 1/4 cup of nutrient solution but now that the roots have reached the water I can stop.

Here are the roots of the front left plant (Defol 1), I couldn't get quality pictures of the other 3 because the roots were coming out of the far side of the net pots but in a few days they should be easier to see.

Water_0051.jpg

Top views of the other 3 plants

Defol 2 (I accidentally left some nutrient solution on the leaves all day after top feeding, I believe this caused the burned spots. Oh well, the new leaves look happy and healthy :) )

Water_002.jpg

Non defol 1

Water_003.jpg

Non defol 2

Water_004.jpg

In other news, the pH of the system is currently 6.1, and water temps are 71 degrees. I will bring the pH back down to 5.6 after it reaches 6.3. I am a firm believer in exposing the roots to a weekly variation/range of pH rather than keeping it at a "perfect" 5.8 by adjusting every single day. This is because different nutrients are absorbed optimally at different pH levels (see chart on previous page). It is nice when science supports doing less work :laugh:

So yeah, I expect the growth to explode over the next few days, and will top them once they have 5 nodes and are looking strong. Thanks for tuning in, and as always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:

~TheFrizz

Hi folks! So today I noticed that significant leaf growth had occurred in the last 24 hrs so I looked at the roots and they have already reached the water! :cheer: Keep in mind, I transplanted these 4 days ago. Last grow it took 8 days for the roots to hit the water, so, it definitely seems like soaking the hydroton in HydroGuard and Earth Juice Catalyst before transplanting improved the pace of root development! Each morning I have been top feeding the plants with 1/4 cup of nutrient solution but now that the roots have reached the water I can stop.

Here are the roots of the front left plant (Defol 1), I couldn't get quality pictures of the other 3 because the roots were coming out of the far side of the net pots but in a few days they should be easier to see.

Water_0051.jpg

Top views of the other 3 plants

Defol 2 (I accidentally left some nutrient solution on the leaves all day after top feeding, I believe this caused the burned spots. Oh well, the new leaves look happy and healthy :) )

Water_002.jpg

Non defol 1

Water_003.jpg

Non defol 2

Water_004.jpg

In other news, the pH of the system is currently 6.1, and water temps are 71 degrees. I will bring the pH back down to 5.6 after it reaches 6.3. I am a firm believer in exposing the roots to a weekly variation/range of pH rather than keeping it at a "perfect" 5.8 by adjusting every single day. This is because different nutrients are absorbed optimally at different pH levels (see chart on previous page). It is nice when science supports doing less work :laugh:

~TheFrizz

Yeah, this 100%

Also i wanted to back up your findings... My root growth is definitely faster since i started soaking my hydroton with hydroguard and great white. Roots in res in 2-3 days down from an average of 5-6. Overall plant vigor seems better earlier because of it too.

Yeah, this 100%

Also i wanted to back up your findings... My root growth is definitely faster since i started soaking my hydroton with hydroguard and great white. Roots in res in 2-3 days down from an average of 5-6. Overall plant vigor seems better earlier because of it too.

Good to hear!! I have heard Great White mentioned positively many times on this forum, and after some research looks like I will be adding it to my nute cocktail as well. Should arrive in a couple days :thumb: It would be interesting to do a side-by-side with clones and see if soaking the hydroton impacts final yield/plant quality compared to non-soaked hydroton. The early growth stages of a living organism are crucial for healthy and proper development.

How are the new family members doing Frizz?

Why hello there TopShelf, you're about to find out! :)

So at this point it has been about 2 weeks since the girls sprouted, and there is quite a bit of variation considering they are all getting the same exact nutes and amount of light. Yay for random genetic mutations! :cheer: OK so confession time.....I have had a lot going on in my personal life and so I forgot to add more nutes last week after starting them at a gentle 160 ppm:thedoubletake:. Well I finally remembered two days ago and now the new growth on top looks better. I added 1 tbsp of Jack's general mix and 1 tbsp of the calcium nitrate, which brought the stats to the numbers shown below:

Nutes: ~500 ppm
pH: 5.9
Water temps: 73 degrees
Amount of lux at each plant location: ~45-50k (I turned the light up to the full 1,000 watts, it was on 750 when they were babies)

I will be topping each plant once it reaches 5 full nodes (so in a day or two) and will begin defoliation soon as well. Gotta train em young! Well, actually I have no idea since this is with autos but hey that's what we're here to find out! :laughtwo:

Big picture shot

GSC_Week_2_011.jpg

Front left plant Defol 1

GSC_Week_2_007.jpg

GSC_Week_2_012.jpg

Front right plant Defol 2

GSC_Week_2_008.jpg

GSC_Week_2_013.jpg

Back left plant No Defol 1

GSC_Week_2_009.jpg

GSC_Week_2_014.jpg

Back right plant No Defol 2

GSC_Week_2_010.jpg

GSC_Week_2_015.jpg

So yeah looks like I will be topping three of them pretty soon, I will give the back one a couple more days to catch up. Also I am so excited to snip off those mutated fan leaves on the front left plant, it is driving me CRAZY to look at them haha. Also I realized why the two right plants are smaller, I planted their rapid rooters higher up in the hydroton because the seedlings had shorter stems. What happened is this meant the roots took longer to reach the water, so those two plants are smaller as a result. Oh well, lesson learned!

Next update will include the results of topping and mild defoliation on the front two plants. Thanks for tuning in and as always, questions, comments, and feedback are much appreciated!

:thanks:
:Namaste:
~TheFrizz

OMG so I just went to check on the babies and I noticed that the front left plant (Defol 1 with the twisty leaves) has 3 growth tips/fan leaves on top! The strange thing is that this condition alternates nodes, so the first node is normal, 2nd node has 3 sets, 3rd node normal, 4th node 3 sets. Check it out:

Top view:

Mutant_002.jpg

Side view, the arrows are pointing towards the 3 sets emerging from the 2nd node

Mutant_003.jpg

So yeah, now I am wondering what to do as far as topping/training goes, should I top at a node with 3 sets of growth or two to keep it consistent with the other normal plants? Also, has anyone experienced this before? I have seen plants with 3 sets of leaves but they show that trait on every node, not alternate ones. :hmmmm:

I feel like this trait would have a positive effect on yield because the ratio of growth tips to stem length is higher, which means bigger denser colas, and it certainly is growing vigorously, but who knows! Either way I will be super fascinated to see how this turns out! Any advice on how to proceed is much appreciated!
~TheFrizz

Just top them where the 3 are, you will be waiting for another plant with 3 nodes for a while and I've heard those are quite rare. I want to be fascinated so that's what I would've done if I were you. Just for the fun of it, to experience it. The triple node might go away. I had that with my BlackJack some time ago and it went away just few nodes were triple. Good luck man whatever you do! :love: :Namaste:

Just top them where the 3 are, you will be waiting for another plant with 3 nodes for a while and I've heard those are quite rare. I want to be fascinated so that's what I would've done if I were you. Just for the fun of it, to experience it. The triple node might go away. I had that with my BlackJack some time ago and it went away just few nodes were triple. Good luck man whatever you do! :love: :Namaste:

Thanks for the input Tomula! :love: I wish this was a photoperiod plant rather than an auto so I could keep a clone or two to experiment with, but oh well! I will top at the 4th node in a day or so, and we will see what happens! :cheer:

Well today I FIM'd 3 of the girls. I decided to go with FIM-ing instead of topping at the last second because FIM-ing can produce up to 4 main colas and topping only will produce 2. Since there is a limited amount of vegetative time, this made more sense to me. FIM-ing is also less stressful because less plant matter is removed.

However, I have never FIM'd a plant before so hopefully I did it right, haha. :) I just pinched the growth emerging from the 5th node so the growth tips and leaf bases are still there but about 3/4ths of the plant matter was removed.

Defol 1 before

FIM_d_001.jpg

Defol 1 after

FIM_d_002.jpg

Defol 2 before

FIM_d_003.jpg

Defol 2 after

FIM_d_005.jpg

The aftermath:

FIM_d_004.jpg

No Defol 1 before

FIM_d_006.jpg

No Defol 1 after

FIM_d_007.jpg

The aftermath

FIM_d_008.jpg

So uhm, the bits of leaves that I pinched off smelled so good that I ate them! I couldn't help it, they smelled like peaches and fresh greenery. They actually tasted pretty good, like a mixture of sweet basil and baby spinach. :thumb:

I will be fascinated to observe the results of FIM-ing since this is a new experience for me, but especially with Defol 1 and her crazy mutation. Right now she has 3 growth tips on top, I wonder if she will end up with 5-6 main's as a result? As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated, especially folks with experience w/ FIM-ing and/or 3 node mutant plants :)

~TheFrizz

I been topping defol lst supercropping autos,for 4 years now.im suprised u havnt come across my work already.there is lots to learn in my sponsored perfectsun goliath grow and my auto topping thread and all other grows in my sig.proves autos love to be pushed to there limits at the correct time with monster results and yield ,so will answer alot of ur questions;) happy growing and merry christmas.

Im at the right place to learn! Im in the first seat, 3rd row right in front of the teacher! I even brought an apple and my listening ears!
Wow Frizz crazy that little sprouts root went all that way! Wow!!
I saw a video by Mendo Dope and they say you cant top and train enough. Thats for outdoors but the theory is the same Im thinking.
I guess cull means kill it?? Give it away sounds better Frizz.
My theory is, when it was illegal here you might as well grow 2-3 plants instead of one because its the same penalty maybe. Now that its kinda legal with 6 plants here with no yard grow Im sure I plan to have 6-8 in a yard grow with 8-12 going inside a tent twice a year. Stay legal Frizz youve got much more to lose and you dont need any trouble.
Great day Frizz

I been topping defol lst supercropping autos,for 4 years now.im suprised u havnt come across my work already.there is lots to learn in my sponsored perfectsun goliath grow and my auto topping thread and all other grows in my sig.proves autos love to be pushed to there limits at the correct time with monster results and yield ,so will answer alot of ur questions;) happy growing and merry christmas.

Why hello Mr. Beast, it is an honor to have you drop by! :) Yes I am quite familiar with your work, I have read through every grow of yours and I am eagerly anticipating the finale of your sponsored Goliath grow, that Think Big plant is very impressive! I typically avoid commenting on the larger threads to avoid contributing to "clutter" but I definitely have been lurking in the background, hehe. :love:

Mini update! It has now been about 3 weeks since the seeds popped, and I have been removing a fan leaf or two each day from Defol 1 and 2. It looks a bit scary, but I took WAY more off of my girls last grow (like, they were down to bare sticks) and they responded very well so we shall see what happens here! Right now, I am planning on training Defol 1 for 10-12 future "main colas" (due to its triple node condition) and the other 3 plants should end up with 8-10 each. I gently bent/spread out the stems on Defol 1 and 2 so they can fill out the space, and I will LST all the plants with wire when I get back from New Mexico on the 26th (leaving tomorrow evening). :cheer:

Here is a zoomed out shot. Unfortunately 3 of the plants are experiencing some nutrient toxicity, this happened after I added a chiller a couple days ago to bring water temps down (was at 83 degrees, happens when you have a powerful light on for 20 hours a day) and also added 2 scoops of Great White to the reservoir. Basically, the roots are functioning TOO WELL now, so even though the ppm is only ~425, it is too much for the girls. I will dilute the solution if needed but hopefully the problem will resolve itself if I just don't add nutes for a few days :)

First_defol_016.jpg

Oh yeah, here was No Defol 2 before the FIM

First_defol_014.jpg

Annnd after

First_defol_015.jpg

So yeah, my hope is that Defol 1 and 2 will send more energy to the future main colas sites and thicken up those new growth tips/stems since they do not have to allocate nutrients to the growth and maintenance of ginormous fan leaves that are just gonna get chopped off at the end anyways. I am super excited/scared to see what happens after being away for 6 days, my parents are going to drop by at least once to check on the girls and make sure all is well but it's not the same as actually being there, y'know?

Anyways, wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season, and as always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated! Next update should be on the 26th or 27th when I get back :)

~TheFrizz

So excited to tag alongside you on this grow.

I have chronic pain and the cost of medical is outrageous at the dispensary even though the quality is there....I just had to start growing my own medical supply.

I can't wait to see your results!

Many clouds of Smoke all,.
Tanyeast
WR420
Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Welcome aboard! :welcome: Thank you for joining me, I feel you on the outrageous cost, 300 an oz can go by pretty quickly! I will happily subscribe to your journal as well, yay for fellow DWC'ers! :)

Back
Top Bottom