Green Knight Berry Bomb Hydro CFL - Experiment #1: Supercropped Defoliated ScROG

Tomorrow is the start of Week 8 from 12/12, day 38 flower. Seed co. says she's a 6-8 week strain and I'm assuming this is from 12/12 - I think she's still got a couple of weeks to go. The trichs are mostly cloudy, some clear but no signs of any amber. I'll begin the flush when I see amber appearing but I don't think this is far away so when I did the res change today I also lowered the EC from 1.5 to 1.3.

IMG_15615.JPG

IMG_156810.JPG

IMG_15747.JPG

IMG_158210.JPG

IMG_1581_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_1583_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_1581_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_1584_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_1580_-_Copy.JPG

@hank123: Here's the mother. She's chilling under a 30w cfl in the room below. She won't win any prizes as she's been brutalised a bit but is perfectly happy really (the roots have recovered nicely after a major chop a couple of months ago). Once this crop's harvested she'll get a few days in the main room to put some proper growth on and then I'll clone her again

IMG_157610.JPG

IMG_15777.JPG

I also got a new toy this week:
IMG_158611.JPG

This thing is absolutely incredible. I'm pretty new to vaping - a flatmate had a really cheap rubbish one ten years ago which I used occasionally, but other than that I've never vaped. But since the change to e-cigs I wanted to go completely tobacco free. Wow!! And balloon bags!

So it arrived on Wednesday and I don't have any weed. But I've got a shoebox full of leaves and trim from the last grow, and the leaves I've stripped from this grow, a lot of which have been really frosty. Plan is to make hash one day but I thought I'd test the new toy with some of the trim in the meantime. I'd never even consider smoking this crap in a joint, it would be horrible and wouldn't really get you stoned, you'd need a load. But a couple of balloons from 2-3 of the frosty fan leaves that got stripped a week or two ago (AJ - I think you suggested this in a post somewhere?)...boooom!!!!....a really nice day-to-day, functioning, giggly stone, and the taste is absolutely fine. God forbid what the end product's going to do to me in this thing, I'm going to be on the floor!!

Thanks for the well wishes my friend!
Things are looking splendid over here!
Seeing some ambers up in there, so you should be close.
Looks like you got that camera taking some mighty fine pics too, nice work!

congrats on the new toy as well.
Nothing quite like vaping some of your own grown.
:high-five:

No worries mate - well done!

Your eyesight's bloody good! Yes, you're right - I've been looking through a little microscope, but I've just looked closely at some of those close ups and you're right. Mmmm, I might start the flush in a few day's time in that case, I don't want too much couch lock. Not sure I'll get my goal of 4 oz though unless something massively changes, the buds are gorgeous looking and smelling, but they're not very big to say the least.

Thanks for the compliments about the photos - I've worked out how to zoom in on the computer, rather than any fancy camera work. Some of the orange pistils have come out nicely, but the trichs are harder to get in focus.

Great update! Love this grow. Man I bet it smells wonderful! Good cure and im sure taste will be grand as well.

Edit

Are you going to start pulling clones and prepping the next plant soon?
If so same sort of game plan or are you going to try a different grow style?

looking great GK! I think if you want to up your yield you need to upgrade to a 400w hps or led setup bro:) + reps on the update and you got me wanting to try a vape now lol...Ive never tried one:)

Thanks Jon - definitely get on the vape thing mate. My wife and I had a proper silly giggly stoned night testing it, just vaping leaves from my box of crap that was waiting to be turned into hash. Didn't expect much and was very surprised; can't wait to try the proper stuff in it once she's ready.

Led is definitely going to happen in the future, but in the meantime I'm just not sure at the moment what this grow might yield. I got 2oz out of the auto last grow, and I've been working on 4oz for this as it will have been double the time, and theoretically much a better use of space and light with the scrog.

Out of interest mate, how long was your bb from 12/12 and flowering to harvest? I think mine's got a couple of weeks longer so could put some weight on, though she's at start of wk8 now so it shouldn't be very long. Vick spotted some ambers in the photos but I've double-checked and can't see any under the microscope - I think the ones in the photos might be artefacts - reflections from the light or the orange pistils or something (or I'm blind and shit with a mic, which is very possible).

Definitely need to upgrade the light though, cos if the yield is low I can't think of any other reason, except possibly pheno.

Looking good GK. just wondering when is the best time to defoliate, as my girls are ready to flip and wanted to know should i do it a week before the 12/12 or a week after. Cheers

Cheers hoddog. I'm still relatively new to defoliating but in this grow I stripped her a couple of times in veg, the final one about a week before I flipped to 12/12. I then left her until stretch came to an end (about day 24 after 12/12) when I stripped her again, and then as needed from then on.

My thinking is stripping her before 12/12 gives her some time to recover; she can then focus on transition and flowering, whereas stripping after 12/12 may set the early stages of flowering back.

Great update! Love this grow. Man I bet it smells wonderful! Good cure and im sure taste will be grand as well.

Edit

Are you going to start pulling clones and prepping the next plant soon?
If so same sort of game plan or are you going to try a different grow style?

Thanks hank, really pleased you like it. Yeah, she's smelling pretty sweet, I'm really looking forward to harvesting and smoking her.

Re: the next grow, it's all a bit complicated! I really want to do a fair comparison between defoliating and not defoliating, so I'm going to clone the mother and then repeat this grow exactly but without defoliating to see the difference.

Although I'm now thinking of getting an led sooner rather than later, repeating this grow exactly using the led rather than the cfl (with defoliation) and comparing that (they'll be about the same wattage), and then after that i'll clone again and repeat the grow using led but without defoliation. Touch wood I've not had any nute issues or anything and I've recorded everything so I should be able to repeat it and keep all the variables the same

I do my first trim a week before 12/12 the second 21 days and the third 45 days after 12/12:peace:
check the journals I got lots of pics

Agree with you completely mate. Though I didn't do a big day 45 defol tbh, I just took leaves as and when necessary after the big day 21 strip

Thanks Jon - definitely get on the vape thing mate. My wife and I had a proper silly giggly stoned night testing it, just vaping leaves from my box of crap that was waiting to be turned into hash. Didn't expect much and was very surprised; can't wait to try the proper stuff in it once she's ready.

Led is definitely going to happen in the future, but in the meantime I'm just not sure at the moment what this grow might yield. I got 2oz out of the auto last grow, and I've been working on 4oz for this as it will have been double the time, and theoretically much a better use of space and light with the scrog.

Out of interest mate, how long was your bb from 12/12 and flowering to harvest? I think mine's got a couple of weeks longer so could put some weight on, though she's at start of wk8 now so it shouldn't be very long. Vick spotted some ambers in the photos but I've double-checked and can't see any under the microscope - I think the ones in the photos might be artefacts - reflections from the light or the orange pistils or something (or I'm blind and shit with a mic, which is very possible).

Definitely need to upgrade the light though, cos if the yield is low I can't think of any other reason, except possibly pheno.
I let all my girls go 10 weeks from the flip.1 week fortransition and 9 weeks flower.its just the way I do things bro, some people count from the flip.at 10 weeks BB was all milky with a couple of amber here and there. But I had alot of issues too, my current BB in soil and hydro dont even look like the same strain. they are much healthier and im sure they will yield alot more and probably taste alot better too:)

Cheers Jon. I think mine's going to be a similar amount of time to be honest. I didn't use glr so she took a bit longer than yours to flower (11 days from 12/12). This weekend will be the start of week 9 since flip and I'm thinking of starting the flush - running some final phase and then pH'd water with double strength boost until harvest.

Right, decided to start the flush as some ambers are showing, the majority of pistils are now orange and she's just looking like she's pretty close to ready. So she's on Final Phase for the next 24h and tomorrow I'll drain that and then run plain ph'd water with double strength Boost (40ml per 10l) until harvest.

I'm a little disappointed with the size of the buds but the quality is definitely there and squeezing them they feel very dense, not really squishing at all, so there may be a bit more weight in them. They are fattening daily so she could put more weight on over the next week and there are around 50 of the main tops so I only need 2.24g dry per top to hit my goal of 4oz. Hard to say, but we'll see. Irrespective of final weight it's only for personal use so quality is the main thing I'm after really.

IMG_16009.JPG

IMG_159810.JPG

IMG_15878.JPG

I'm liking the trichs on the stem of the plant in this one:
IMG_1588_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_159515.JPG

IMG_160212.JPG

IMG_1604_-_Copy.JPG

Amazing! Looks like she filled out well from the last update. U should get some really really good hash too.

Thanks hank - she should put some more weight on over the next week or so, and then ready for harvest possibly.

I stripped some of the larger leaves again a few days ago and they're all coated so I'm definitely going to have to try making some hash. In the meantime I'm just vaping them in my new toy. They're really nice and actually get me very nicely stoned.

Back
Top Bottom